GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Shelldrake on December 10, 2013, 04:15:00 PM

Title: Shadowrun Returns now on GOG
Post by: Shelldrake on December 10, 2013, 04:15:00 PM
40% off until Thursday - SOLD! :)
Title: Re: Shadowrun Returns now on GOG
Post by: Nefaro on December 10, 2013, 04:22:18 PM
We waantss the expansion.

.. and a proper Shadowrun PC RPG that uses the full pen & paper system.  (I picked up the 5th edition rulebook recently  :D )
Title: Re: Shadowrun Returns now on GOG
Post by: airboy on December 10, 2013, 05:34:14 PM
I was very unimpressed with the game.  I caution people who are not very familiar with the Shadowrun world to think carefully before purchase.  I found the language to be obtuse.  The game play was 100% linear in the early stages at least.
Title: Re: Shadowrun Returns now on GOG
Post by: Nefaro on December 10, 2013, 08:21:07 PM
Quote from: airboy on December 10, 2013, 05:34:14 PM
I was very unimpressed with the game.  I caution people who are not very familiar with the Shadowrun world to think carefully before purchase.  I found the language to be obtuse.  The game play was 100% linear in the early stages at least.

Yep.  It was obviously a quick job, finished in just a matter of months.  Tablet level, albeit one of the more extensive ones I've seen.

I grew to love the setting long ago so that's the main reason I enjoyed it.  The game itself is missing so much though.  It's a tragedy that it was given the quick & easy tablet treatment.  :-\
Title: Re: Shadowrun Returns now on GOG
Post by: Shelldrake on December 11, 2013, 01:52:03 PM
Enjoying it so far. These days a game that is short enough for me to finish in week or two is actually a bonus!
Title: Re: Shadowrun Returns now on GOG
Post by: Rayfer on December 11, 2013, 02:33:57 PM
Quote from: Shelldrake on December 11, 2013, 01:52:03 PM
Enjoying it so far. These days a game that is short enough for me to finish in week or two is actually a bonus!

That is so true for me too.  Those old Baldurs Gate 2, 100+ hour games, are just way to long to hold my interest through to the end.
Title: Re: Shadowrun Returns now on GOG
Post by: Nefaro on December 11, 2013, 03:04:02 PM
I actually wanted it to last longer.  When I had finished the stock mission, I became very sad that I had run into a dead end as far as content.  :-[ 

There looks to be more user-created content out now, but I've not tried any.  I suspect much of it is still not quite finished.
Title: Re: Shadowrun Returns now on GOG
Post by: Keunert on December 13, 2013, 07:17:07 AM
would you go and buy it on steam even if it's 5 bucks more than on got, but has this easy to use ucg scheme?
i want to play this on my mac
Title: Re: Shadowrun Returns now on GOG
Post by: BanzaiCat on December 13, 2013, 07:53:27 AM
I bought it on Steam back when it was $19.99. I haven't finished the 'main' campaign yet as I know it's short and didn't want it to end too quickly.

It is indeed very linear, but the storytelling isn't bad at all. Then there's a huge community of support out there making user-made scenarios and campaigns. If you're a Shadowrun fan, you should definitely buy this - I haven't played Shadowrun, the pencil-and-paper RPG, since 1990 or so, but I still have some of my rulebooks and I do enjoy this game. I have a Troll character and am just waiting to get my paws on a mini-gun...
Title: Re: Shadowrun Returns now on GOG
Post by: Keunert on December 19, 2013, 09:56:06 AM
i just bought the game. looks like there are already a lot of usermade campaigns.
some of them get very higher ratings than the official campaign.
i am really looking forward to get into this.
Title: Re: Shadowrun Returns now on GOG
Post by: Shelldrake on December 19, 2013, 07:58:22 PM
GOG now has the most recent patch and will have the new DLC expansion in January.