GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: PanzersEast on December 10, 2013, 04:58:03 PM

Title: The Anti-Sale Thread :: Best Freeware Games
Post by: PanzersEast on December 10, 2013, 04:58:03 PM
There are good games to be had for free, although I am not strong enough to pass up some sales..... I thought maybe a thread of favorite free-ware games to fuel the anti-sale thread for those who refuse to spend yet another kingdoms worth of money.....  list your favorite free-ware games.


Dwarf Fortress
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
The most in-depth game out there.... build, kill, and survive.

Unreal World
http://www.unrealworld.fi
Can you survive in the Iron Age of Finland.  Winter is coming.... survival game that is great.

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup
http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/
The title says it all......

Aurora 4x
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php
I recommend it, even though I have yet to learn it.... yea I know.

Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
http://en.cataclysmdda.com
If you can get past the ASCII graphics, it is very fun and very tense.



PE
Title: Re: The Anti-Sale Thread :: Best Freeware Games
Post by: bayonetbrant on December 10, 2013, 05:22:45 PM
Wesnoth

freaking awesome game
Title: Re: The Anti-Sale Thread :: Best Freeware Games
Post by: Jack Nastyface on December 11, 2013, 01:19:20 AM
I liked Yavin and Endor, available here:  http://www.bruneras.com/

Title: Re: The Anti-Sale Thread :: Best Freeware Games
Post by: spelk on December 11, 2013, 02:59:23 AM
I'd like to to put forth a lot of roguelikes worth playing

Tales of Maj'Eyal (TOME4)
http://te4.org/

Doom RL
http://doom.chaosforge.org/

Powder
http://www.zincland.com/powder/

Any roguelike from the 7 Day Roguelike (7DRL) Challenge from Zincland
http://www.zincland.com/

QuickHack
http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php?title=QuickHack

HyperRogue
http://www.roguetemple.com/z/hyper.php

And now the non roguelikes:

Elements Card Game
http://www.elementsthegame.com/

Panzer General Forever
http://www.pgforever.info/

Field of Strategy
http://tpgames.free.fr/FoS/index2.html

STAVKA-OKH
http://www.rodvik.com/rodgames/STAVKA-OKH.html

Armor Games has a bucketload of games available to play free on the web, but its finding the good ones thats the trick.. heres a couple

Monster Den Chronicles
http://armorgames.com/play/13132/monsters-den-chronicles

Warfare 1944
http://armorgames.com/play/4071/warfare-1944

Rune Raiders
http://armorgames.com/play/13307/rune-raiders
Title: Re: The Anti-Sale Thread :: Best Freeware Games
Post by: Yskonyn on December 11, 2013, 04:17:04 AM
Path of Exile (http://www.pathofexile.com) - free game and does everything right what Diablo 3 did not!
Title: Re: The Anti-Sale Thread :: Best Freeware Games
Post by: spelk on December 11, 2013, 06:41:35 AM
Forgot this one...

Desert War 1940-43
http://members.upc.ie/jeanette.kelly/index.html
Title: Re: The Anti-Sale Thread :: Best Freeware Games
Post by: Nefaro on December 11, 2013, 07:47:28 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on December 11, 2013, 04:17:04 AM
Path of Exile (http://www.pathofexile.com) - free game and does everything right what Diablo 3 did not!

Have they expanded the content and stability since it's release?  I kinda enjoyed it at the time but the thing kept crashing, would run my video card pretty hot,  and there wasn't much variety in the monsters initially.

I hope they've improved all that recently.
Title: Re: The Anti-Sale Thread :: Best Freeware Games
Post by: Ubercat on December 11, 2013, 09:07:13 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 10, 2013, 05:22:45 PM
Wesnoth

freaking awesome game

This is really good for what it does. Did they ever make any sandbox type scenarios? I tried this years ago and after playing part way through a campaign I remember wishing that I could play an open game with a bunch of AI opponents that included many different factions.
Title: Re: The Anti-Sale Thread :: Best Freeware Games
Post by: bayonetbrant on December 11, 2013, 09:19:28 AM
not that I've seen recently.  I'm honestly afraid to download and re-install b/c I know I'll lose the next 4 months of my life playing it.
Title: Re: The Anti-Sale Thread :: Best Freeware Games
Post by: spelk on December 11, 2013, 02:00:40 PM
Thinking along the lines of Wesnoth (but not free), did anyone ever play Styrateg?

http://www.rakeingrass.com/game_styrateg.php

I remember getting a similar vibe from it yonks ago.