GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Kushan on December 13, 2013, 08:44:04 PM

Title: Wasteland 2 Beta is live!
Post by: Kushan on December 13, 2013, 08:44:04 PM
I'm a little supruised no one has posted something on this already

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2/posts (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2/posts)

Its also on Steam early access for $59.99 right now.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/240760/?snr=1_7_15__13 (http://store.steampowered.com/app/240760/?snr=1_7_15__13)

Anyone who kickstarted it have any impressions of the beta?
Title: Re: Wasteland 2 Beta is live!
Post by: Tpek on December 14, 2013, 04:54:17 AM
I paid the 65$ for the boxed+digital copy, so I didn't get the Early Access invite.
They did however let us pay an additional 20$ not so long ago for a few days if we wanted to get in anyway.
I decided I might as well wait for the full release instead of ending up shelling 85$ over a beta :P

Of course that was before I knew the beta would be open to non-KS backers for 59$.

Now I really want this game to get out ASAP.
Title: Re: Wasteland 2 Beta is live!
Post by: KyzBP on December 14, 2013, 07:35:42 AM
I played a little the other day.  The graphics are good but it was running really choppy on my system.  I had no problems with the interface but I didn't get too far in.   I'm really looking forward to diving deeper into this
Title: Re: Wasteland 2 Beta is live!
Post by: Gusington on December 14, 2013, 09:17:46 AM
Rock Paper Shotgun had a long bit of clips on it:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/12/12/lets-chatter-over-wasteland-2/#more-179747

Title: Re: Wasteland 2 Beta is live!
Post by: KyzBP on December 14, 2013, 10:34:21 AM
Quote from: KyzBP on December 14, 2013, 07:35:42 AM
I played a little the other day.  The graphics are good but it was running really choppy on my system.  I had no problems with the interface but I didn't get too far in.   I'm really looking forward to diving deeper into this

I put my new graphics card in and... wow!  Now that the game runs smooth, it seems pretty cool.  I think it'll be well worth the money spent.
Title: Re: Wasteland 2 Beta is live!
Post by: SgtRock on December 14, 2013, 11:32:43 AM
Quote from: Gusington on December 14, 2013, 09:17:46 AM
Rock Paper Shotgun had a long bit of clips on it:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/12/12/lets-chatter-over-wasteland-2/#more-179747


Disappointed they used the New X-com combat model, yuck!  I wonder how linear the game is?

Title: Re: Wasteland 2 Beta is live!
Post by: Nefaro on December 14, 2013, 12:27:12 PM
Quote from: SgtRock on December 14, 2013, 11:32:43 AM
Quote from: Gusington on December 14, 2013, 09:17:46 AM
Rock Paper Shotgun had a long bit of clips on it:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/12/12/lets-chatter-over-wasteland-2/#more-179747


Disappointed they used the New X-com combat model, yuck!  I wonder how linear the game is?

I believe it's supposed to be very linear.  At least I recall reading that in some preview.

While that can be fun in some cases, it usually puts a lot of extra requirements on the writers and content.   My biggest problem with linear RPGs is usually price-to-content related.  Since there isn't gonna be much fresh replayability to them, they need to have a lot of content and extensive gameplay if they're going to put them at a premium price.  Sixty dollars for a 20-hour or less RPG just doesn't come anywhere close.  Probably not even 30.  Not saying it'll only be 20 hours for this one but at $60 it should be long and interesting. 
Title: Re: Wasteland 2 Beta is live!
Post by: Rayfer on December 14, 2013, 01:23:59 PM
Sometimes open-ended, non-linear rpg's are an illusion in that although you can go anywhere you want to explore the world, the reality is often that in doing so you will die quickly because you will stumble into areas with high level enemies.  The old rgp Might and Magic 6 was like that.  You could go where you wanted right from the start but unless you stuck to a pretty much linear exploration of the world you ended up dead and had no chance of surviving. Oblivion tried to get around this with that awful enemy level scaling that allowed level 3 characters to go into Oblivion and battle demons, IMHO is ruined the game.
Title: Re: Wasteland 2 Beta is live!
Post by: Kushan on December 14, 2013, 01:41:07 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on December 14, 2013, 12:27:12 PM
I believe it's supposed to be very linear.  At least I recall reading that in some preview.

While that can be fun in some cases, it usually puts a lot of extra requirements on the writers and content.   My biggest problem with linear RPGs is usually price-to-content related.  Since there isn't gonna be much fresh replayability to them, they need to have a lot of content and extensive gameplay if they're going to put them at a premium price.  Sixty dollars for a 20-hour or less RPG just doesn't come anywhere close.  Probably not even 30.  Not saying it'll only be 20 hours for this one but at $60 it should be long and interesting. 

Everything I've read has been completely opposite of this. IIRC is supposed to be very non-linear as far as multiple ways to complete missions. They've supposedly designed entire sections of content that may never be seen by players based on things like your party composition and dialogue choices. Then again, we've heard that before, but given their budget it wouldn't surprise me if in this case its true. The 2-3 maps they've previewed in videos have seemed rather linear, but that may not be conductive to the game as whole.
Title: Re: Wasteland 2 Beta is live!
Post by: son_of_montfort on December 14, 2013, 03:17:21 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on December 14, 2013, 12:27:12 PM
Quote from: SgtRock on December 14, 2013, 11:32:43 AM
Quote from: Gusington on December 14, 2013, 09:17:46 AM
Rock Paper Shotgun had a long bit of clips on it:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/12/12/lets-chatter-over-wasteland-2/#more-179747


Disappointed they used the New X-com combat model, yuck!  I wonder how linear the game is?

I believe it's supposed to be very linear.  At least I recall reading that in some preview.

While that can be fun in some cases, it usually puts a lot of extra requirements on the writers and content.   My biggest problem with linear RPGs is usually price-to-content related.  Since there isn't gonna be much fresh replayability to them, they need to have a lot of content and extensive gameplay if they're going to put them at a premium price.  Sixty dollars for a 20-hour or less RPG just doesn't come anywhere close.  Probably not even 30.  Not saying it'll only be 20 hours for this one but at $60 it should be long and interesting.

Brian Fargo stated that the beta, which is only the first area, is going to have 6-10 hours of gameplay that will require multiple plays to see everything. So I am confident the full game will be 40+ hours.
Title: Re: Wasteland 2 Beta is live!
Post by: SgtRock on December 14, 2013, 07:06:38 PM
In one of the video's they mention, the missions are the same each time(same bad guys in the same area), that and being linear = limited/Zero replay value. Why didn't they use the Jagged Alliance 2 model, better combat and no-linear gameplay (Except for the first/last mission). I no longer think remakes of game are a good idea.

Remakes

Jagged Alliance (all the remakes) - none have equaled or topped JA2.
ShadowRun - short and linear.
Xcom Remake(s) - none have equaled or topped the original.


It's seems like all the remakes are dumbed down for the console kiddies or is it the new developers that grew up playing consoles? Between poor remakes and every new game geared for tablets, I think future PC gaming is in bad way.





Title: Re: Wasteland 2 Beta is live!
Post by: Nefaro on December 15, 2013, 04:40:08 PM
Quote from: SgtRock on December 14, 2013, 07:06:38 PM



It's seems like all the remakes are dumbed down for the console kiddies or is it the new developers that grew up playing consoles? Between poor remakes and every new game geared for tablets, I think future PC gaming is in bad way.

I think it's just a matter of time & money.  Less time spent coding & tweaking open gameplay = more money.   ;)  Takes a lot less time testing & fixing the stuff if the gameplay is the same every time through.
Title: Re: Wasteland 2 Beta is live!
Post by: son_of_montfort on December 15, 2013, 05:44:08 PM
Quote from: SgtRock on December 14, 2013, 07:06:38 PM
In one of the video's they mention, the missions are the same each time(same bad guys in the same area), that and being linear = limited/Zero replay value. Why didn't they use the Jagged Alliance 2 model, better combat and no-linear gameplay (Except for the first/last mission). I no longer think remakes of game are a good idea.

Remakes

Jagged Alliance (all the remakes) - none have equaled or topped JA2.
ShadowRun - short and linear.
Xcom Remake(s) - none have equaled or topped the original.


It's seems like all the remakes are dumbed down for the console kiddies or is it the new developers that grew up playing consoles? Between poor remakes and every new game geared for tablets, I think future PC gaming is in bad way.

You know, the original Fallout and Fallout 2 also always had the same missions and same enemies in each area, and yet they were before consoles became dominant and nobody considered them dumbed down. Even though Fallout and Fallout 2 had static enemies and missions, there were multiple ways to overcome those enemies and missions - thus the replay value. I suspect the same will be true of Wasteland 2.

This just seems like a strange argument to make. Static enemies and missions have been a hallmark of many great and replayable RPGs.