GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Apocalypse 31 on December 14, 2013, 10:00:45 AM

Title: Company of Heroes 2
Post by: Apocalypse 31 on December 14, 2013, 10:00:45 AM
I had pre-ordered this because i needed a 'fun RTS' in my life. It turned out that I didn't need one that bad, and Airland Battle fills the void nicely.

Mind numbing and clickfest gameplay aside, this is a beautiful looking game.

One day I hope we can see a turn based wargame that looks this good
Title: Re: Company of Heroes 2
Post by: Dolan50 on December 14, 2013, 10:19:45 AM
Take a look at this game.
It's RTS but not a clickfest and also not turned based,except for the operations phase.
Graviteam said they will never do turned based simulations for the tactical phase of this game..

The graphics are excellent and the game scale is manageable for real time and the demo is free.
Achtung Panzer: Operation Star" (English version)
•NEW Demo GTOS (June, 2013)
http://graviteam.ua/help/download-patches.html
Title: Re: Company of Heroes 2
Post by: tgb on December 14, 2013, 10:47:19 AM
The problem I always had with the Graviteam games is that the battles can be long and you can't save in the middle of one. Has that changed?
Title: Re: Company of Heroes 2
Post by: Dolan50 on December 14, 2013, 10:57:06 AM
Yes.
You can save a game or battle in the middle.
I have a couple saved campaigns and battles on my game now. This has been a feature for this game for about a year now.
You can also use the option for length of battles.
30mins,1 hr,2hrs or 3 hrs.

You can also speed up the game until the action starts and slow the game down once it does.
Title: Re: Company of Heroes 2
Post by: Apocalypse 31 on December 14, 2013, 11:23:57 AM
Quote from: Dolan50 on December 14, 2013, 10:19:45 AM
Take a look at this game.
It's RTS but not a clickfest and also not turned based,except for the operations phase.
Graviteam said they will never do turned based simulations for the tactical phase of this game..

The graphics are excellent and the game scale is manageable for real time and the demo is free.
Achtung Panzer: Operation Star" (English version)
•NEW Demo GTOS (June, 2013)
http://graviteam.ua/help/download-patches.html

I have APOPSTAR and I don't like it. Same reason I don't like Combat Mission. The engines are old and they are not optimized for performance. Additionally, their interfaces are sluggish and generally not user friendly - especially APOPSTAR.
Title: Re: Company of Heroes 2
Post by: Dolan50 on December 14, 2013, 12:12:27 PM
You obviously haven't updated your game lately then.
If you don't like it fine!

The engine was updated in August and the user interface is better than ALB and you can pause the game during RTS.
I don't know what settings you use but the performance is very optimal for a game of this scale and graphics and gets better every year.

This game is nothing like Combat Mission!
Title: Re: Company of Heroes 2
Post by: Apocalypse 31 on December 14, 2013, 12:19:52 PM
Quote from: Dolan50 on December 14, 2013, 12:12:27 PM
You obviously haven't updated your game lately then.
If you don't like it fine!

The engine was updated in August and the user interface is better than ALB and you can pause the game during RTS.
I don't know what settings you use but the performance is very optimal for a game of this scale and graphics and gets better every year.

This game is nothing like Combat Mission!

That's good to hear. I'll have to check out some videos. I had some gripes with the gameplay as well, but I really dug the turn based layer.
Title: Re: Company of Heroes 2
Post by: Dolan50 on December 14, 2013, 12:38:58 PM
The game is updated continuously(It is now GTOS not APOS and has a new engine) and a newer engine will be introduced next year along with the new game called Mius Front43.

GTMF-Graviteam Tactics Mius Front will be similar to GTOS but with a lot more features and more optimization.
The game is tough to learn because of the lack of a decent manual,but the game plays very well with some time and effort put into it to learn all the UI controls.Once you understand the basics it does get easier to play and the game is much better than the reviewers who only test drive it lead everyone to believe.

I've been playing this game for 2 years and am still amazed at the new things I find to use in this game that I never knew were there.

You won't find many new videos on this game.I posted a bunch last year on Youtube before the game became GTOS but I haven't had the time or inclination lately to post any more on Youtube.
The Demo link I posted earlier is the new version of this game GTOS.
Title: Re: Company of Heroes 2
Post by: Apocalypse 31 on December 14, 2013, 01:01:04 PM
Yeah...just did a YouTube search and found nothing but old videos. I'll keep an eye out.

I wish the Blitzkrieg mod team would do something for CoH 2. It was an outstanding mod for CoH 1 and really fleshed out some of the more gamey aspects. For example, mg's and mortars were closer to their real life effectiveness.

I also wish there was a way to slow the game down
Title: Re: Company of Heroes 2
Post by: Rayfer on December 14, 2013, 01:17:05 PM
Quote from: Dolan50 on December 14, 2013, 10:19:45 AM
Take a look at this game.
It's RTS but not a clickfest and also not turned based,except for the operations phase.
Graviteam said they will never do turned based simulations for the tactical phase of this game..

The graphics are excellent and the game scale is manageable for real time and the demo is free.
Achtung Panzer: Operation Star" (English version)
•NEW Demo GTOS (June, 2013)
http://graviteam.ua/help/download-patches.html

Confusing the way it is presented on the graviteam site.  When you go to their GT:OS page it has links to buy the game on gamersgate, strategy first and matrix....yet when click the link for either three they all list the game as AP:OS. Can you actually buy GT:OS somewhere or do you buy AP:OS first then upgrade, and if so is the upgrade to GT:OS an additional cost?
Title: Re: Company of Heroes 2
Post by: Dolan50 on December 14, 2013, 01:55:07 PM
APOS-Achtung Panzer Operation Star is the name of the initial base game.
You then have to update the game to GTOS.
This update is free.
I suggest to only buy this game from GamersGate since GG is the only company that carries the current versions of the updates and DLCs.

From what I understand now.All you have to do to update your base game is download the upgrade manager at GG and the latest game update and patch are both included and ready for installation.
After you upgrade with the latest August update and patch then you can add any DLC to your base game.
Very important that you update 1st before adding DLCs.

APOS is last years engine for this game GTOS is this years engine.
If you don't update the game will stay APOS.If you update the game will change to GTOS.
Graviteam changed the name of the game from APOS to GTOS because they decided on self publishing it now.
Title: Re: Company of Heroes 2
Post by: Tinkershuffle on December 14, 2013, 02:41:46 PM
CoH was a gateway game for me to heavier "drugs" like APOS and Combat Mission. The sequel for some reason didn't have the same magic to got me interested. I agree that Wargame: AirLand Battle is now the king of the hill on commercial RTS market.
Title: Re: Company of Heroes 2
Post by: Rayfer on December 14, 2013, 02:53:12 PM
Quote from: Dolan50 on December 14, 2013, 01:55:07 PM
APOS-Achtung Panzer Operation Star is the name of the initial base game.
You then have to update the game to GTOS.
This update is free.
I suggest to only buy this game from GamersGate since GG is the only company that carries the current versions of the updates and DLCs.

From what I understand now.All you have to do to update your base game is download the upgrade manager at GG and the latest game update and patch are both included and ready for installation.
After you upgrade with the latest August update and patch then you can add any DLC to your base game.
Very important that you update 1st before adding DLCs.

APOS is last years engine for this game GTOS is this years engine.
If you don't update the game will stay APOS.If you update the game will change to GTOS.
Graviteam changed the name of the game from APOS to GTOS because they decided on self publishing it now.

Thanks Dolan50...appreciate the clarification!
Title: Re: Company of Heroes 2
Post by: sandman2575 on December 14, 2013, 07:09:30 PM
Quote from: Tinkershuffle on December 14, 2013, 02:41:46 PM
CoH was a gateway game for me to heavier "drugs" like APOS and Combat Mission. The sequel for some reason didn't have the same magic to got me interested. I agree that Wargame: AirLand Battle is now the king of the hill on commercial RTS market.


I probably hate CoH2 with the same passion that I love the original CoH, which to me is one of the best wargames ever made.  Yes it's video-gamey and not realistic.  But it is just tons and tons of fun.  For me, CoH2 is by far the biggest disappointment sequel in recent memory -- and maybe not ever recent memory.  Just a dog of a game that adds nothing to the original.  CoH is still a blast to play, six-plus years on.  Only modding can redeem CoH2, and I'm not even sure great modding can pull it off.
Title: Re: Company of Heroes 2
Post by: Apocalypse 31 on December 14, 2013, 09:10:50 PM
Quote from: sandman2575 on December 14, 2013, 07:09:30 PM
Quote from: Tinkershuffle on December 14, 2013, 02:41:46 PM
CoH was a gateway game for me to heavier "drugs" like APOS and Combat Mission. The sequel for some reason didn't have the same magic to got me interested. I agree that Wargame: AirLand Battle is now the king of the hill on commercial RTS market.


I probably hate CoH2 with the same passion that I love the original CoH, which to me is one of the best wargames ever made.  Yes it's video-gamey and not realistic.  But it is just tons and tons of fun.  For me, CoH2 is by far the biggest disappointment sequel in recent memory -- and maybe not ever recent memory.  Just a dog of a game that adds nothing to the original.  CoH is still a blast to play, six-plus years on.  Only modding can redeem CoH2, and I'm not even sure great modding can pull it off.

The Blitzkrieg Mod would be great, but those guys are defunct.
Title: Re: Company of Heroes 2
Post by: Arctic Blast on December 15, 2013, 07:10:32 PM
Does CoH2 still have skirmish against the AI? That's pretty much what I played 95% of the time in the first game.
Title: Re: Company of Heroes 2
Post by: Gusington on December 15, 2013, 08:18:47 PM
Yep.
Title: Re: Company of Heroes 2
Post by: Apocalypse 31 on December 15, 2013, 08:29:12 PM
I also just discovered Theater of War - co-op scenarios.
Title: Re: Company of Heroes 2
Post by: Dolan50 on December 16, 2013, 01:21:59 PM
Here's a few pretty decent videos of the updated APOS game GTOS.
Also one from APOS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2n_HVa9jWU
GTOS night battle part 1 of 2: "The approaching storm"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiH1C758Ork
GTOS night battle part 2 of 2: "Soviet armored steamroller"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fux0hxk1PDM
Achtung Panzer: Operation Star - "Ambush at Taranovka"
Title: Re: Company of Heroes 2
Post by: Grim.Reaper on January 19, 2014, 10:01:32 PM
Not sure if a mistake, but either way, if you were interested in COH 2, on sale at Amazon for $13 and its actually the collector's edition which was originally $79

http://www.amazon.com/Company-Digital-Collectors-Edition-Download/dp/B009AYQRJA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1390186749&sr=8-3&keywords=company+of+heroes+2