For those interested, the devs for
Predestination have launched a small Kickstarter campaign (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nyphur/predestination-3d-ship-designer-a-turn-based-space) with the aim of creating a more robust ship designer for the game. The basic ship design feature is already in the game; however, the devs would like to turn it into a full 3D version if possible, and to add a few more bells & whistles.
For anyone who might be interested in backing the game but missed out on the first KS campaign, most of the various reward levels are back (including the popular $25.00 reward level, which is a copy of the game plus all future DLC). Right now, Predestination is on track to be released in early/mid-spring 2014.
(I'm still not talking about this one much, as I'm still paranoid about jinxing it by doing so. ::) )
A second kickstarter campaign?
What prestidigitation is this?! :P
Since i missed the first campaign, i may well jump on this one...thanks Martok!
I also missed the first Kickstarter and am somewhat tempted. I think the thing holding me back is the 2D hex space combat. They've got a 3D galaxy map and 3D ships, but 2D combat?
Quote from: steve58 on December 20, 2013, 04:29:24 PM
I also missed the first Kickstarter and am somewhat tempted. I think the thing holding me back is the 2D hex space combat. They've got a 3D galaxy map and 3D ships, but 2D combat?
I actually prefer 2D combat, like Master of Orion II. Why can't we have turn-based, ship-to-ship, choose your weapons combat like that anymore?
I'm tempted to get in this. But I am also worried that it is one of those interminable early access KS projects.
Let me put on my Grinch hat- I hate 3D star maps! Why of why do people do that?
Is this going to be a 3D ship designer like GalCiv 2? If so I think its not a very good idea as the AI never knows how to field or design ships a human player can.
Quote from: Yskonyn on December 21, 2013, 07:01:18 AM
Is this going to be a 3D ship designer like GalCiv 2? If so I think its not a very good idea as the AI never knows how to field or design ships a human player can.
My impression is the AI should be able to handle the 3D ship designer the same as the ship design system that's already in place. The 3D version is mostly for the benefit for us humans (by way of the "cool" factor).
AI-designed ships maybe won't *look* as snazzy as whatever designs we come up with. However, they shouldn't be any less effective than what they'd come up with in the existing ship design system.
Quote from: son_of_montfort on December 20, 2013, 10:37:23 PM
I actually prefer 2D combat, like Master of Orion II. Why can't we have turn-based, ship-to-ship, choose your weapons combat like that anymore?
I agree! And throw in a ship repair system like Great Naval Battles had and you would have awesomeness indeed!
I prefer 2D combat, too. Fighting 3D camera controls often detracts from the gameplay.
Hey, everyone!
Thanks for sharing our Kickstarter with everyone, @Martok! I think we're safe in regards to jinxing progress by talking about it too much! ^.^
In regards to the 2D vs. 3D debate: we chose to go with 2D combat because the majority of our commenters so far have indicated a preference towards it. 3D combat can get a little confusing in terms of controls and relative orientation, so we decided to keep it 2D. The galaxy map, however, was much easier to make 3D but still easy to navigate, so we were very happy to add that in. For those who prefer 2D map navigation, we've added in the option to collapse the 3D star map into a 2D map. Our ship designer will be in 3D as well. We plan on eliminating the AI issue by having the AI ships pre-designed by humans. The AI will use the defaults supplied in the pre-existing ship menu.
About ship repairing: We love that idea, @bbmike, and it's something we want to add in with the 3D ship designer. We want to allow you to remodel and repair ships using the designer as well as just add on extra modules.
Feel free to fire any other comments or questions to me! :D
Hi Tina -- Welcome to Grogheads! I think my fellow forumites have convinced me that 3D combat is not really a good idea, mostly because of controlling the 3D view. I'm still not 100% sure I'll get in on the Kickstarter, but do have it flagged to watch.
Thanks for the warm welcome! :D Glad you have your eye on us too ^.^
Hey Tina! Good to see you here. I noticed you guys have already made your initial KS goal, so congratulations on that. :)
The fact that the developer felt it important to send an emissary here speaks volumes to me. That pushed me over the fence to back the KS project, since I missed the first one.
How does the prospective March release date look? Will it be an "open-beta" style release or a fully-finished release?
We're always really happy to jump into any Predestination conversation we stumble upon, since engaging with people matters to us as gamers too. Thanks for your support on Kickstarter, @son_of_montfort!
Thanks, @Martok! :D We're absolutely delighted! We're thinking that placement mirroring will be our first stretch goal.
Our release date is looking like it'll be for the fully finished game, but that depends on how well the full beta goes and how smoothly the multiplayer integration goes. If we have issues on either front, we'll assess where we're at, and then we'll either have a soft singleplayer-only release, or we'll postpone release accordingly. I hope that makes some sense!
This article on SpaceSector (http://www.spacesector.com/blog/2014/01/predestination-in-march-3d-ship-designer-on-kickstarter/) reminded me I hadn't gotten in on their 2nd Kickstarter...so I corrected my lapse. :-\ I blame Martok ;)
When in doubt, it usually is my fault. ;D
Bah humbug. I will support it by buying it when it comes out. Just can bring myself to invest in these indie games.
Of course, I will buy it eventually anyway 'cause it's a space game
I still do get why its so hard to gimmi mai Homeworld experience again?
Well, the 2nd kickstarter still has 23 days to go and is already 272% funded :P
Poor Tina, to have stumbled upon such a bunch of misfits, that we are, as part of her job.
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 07, 2014, 12:35:53 AM
I still do get why its so hard to gimmi mai Homeworld experience again?
No kidding. If there was ever a game begging for someone to make it...it's Homeworld 3
Predestination's latest Kickstarter update says they are looking for 3D Modelers for paid contract work. If you know any, please point them to their website.