GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Grim.Reaper on December 21, 2013, 11:19:09 AM

Title: Walking Dead Games?
Post by: Grim.Reaper on December 21, 2013, 11:19:09 AM
I have always been intrigued by this game, but never really understand what kind of game is it.  Anyone play it?  Is it a FPS?  A RPG?  Puzzles?  Can't really tell from the descriptions.  Seems to be on sale for $6 at GMG so hoping some others have experience.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/adventure/walking-dead-telltale-game-series/
Title: Re: Walking Dead Games?
Post by: GDS_Starfury on December 21, 2013, 11:35:37 AM
I friend of mine has all the episodes and really likes it.  hes stated that it hold very true to the comics.
Title: Re: Walking Dead Games?
Post by: Grim.Reaper on December 21, 2013, 11:37:04 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on December 21, 2013, 11:35:37 AM
I friend of mine has all the episodes and really likes it.  hes stated that it hold very true to the comics.

Thanks GDS, do you know if it is FPS?  Just not sure what you actually do within the game, but it does always seem to get good feedback.
Title: Re: Walking Dead Games?
Post by: Arctic Blast on December 21, 2013, 01:24:22 PM
It's more of a storytelling adventure game. A few sequences per episode require quick reflexes, but for the most part it's an interactive story. I wasn't a huge fan of the 4th episode, but the overall set of 5 was really good. One of my favorite games of last year.
Title: .
Post by: eyebiter on December 21, 2013, 01:59:58 PM
.
Title: Re: Walking Dead Games?
Post by: LongBlade on December 21, 2013, 09:04:40 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 21, 2013, 11:37:04 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on December 21, 2013, 11:35:37 AM
I friend of mine has all the episodes and really likes it.  hes stated that it hold very true to the comics.

Thanks GDS, do you know if it is FPS?  Just not sure what you actually do within the game, but it does always seem to get good feedback.

This may give you some insight: http://www.grogheads.com/first-wd.html
Title: Re: Walking Dead Games?
Post by: Grim.Reaper on December 21, 2013, 10:34:17 PM
Thanks for the details....not sure if this one will be for me but who knows.
Title: Re: Walking Dead Games?
Post by: LongBlade on December 21, 2013, 11:05:29 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 21, 2013, 10:34:17 PM
Thanks for the details....not sure if this one will be for me but who knows.

I enjoyed playing it but I haven't bought the sequel.

It's definitely no FPS.

If you can find it on sale I think you'll be pleased.
Title: Re: Walking Dead Games?
Post by: Hiimori on December 22, 2013, 06:02:50 PM
I played all episodes of season one and greatly enjoyed the game.

It's neither a shooter nor a RPG or anything like that, it's a genre of its own, a mix of adventure / point and click / quicktime events with heavy and really tough decision making under time pressure. The game has nice cell shading graphics and a cool comic-like artwork and style.

Your decisions greatly influence the course of the game and there are some tough and very surprising and shocking moments. The storytelling is really good, you get emotionally involved with the main characters and you will most certainly have to sacrifice or at least hurt some of them for the sake of the others. The ending of the last episode was epic.

Usually, I hate point and click games (too impatient for this type of game, I'm more the shooter type), but after I finished the first episode, I eagerly waited for the next episodes and played them all on launch day. If you like the Walking Dead and love being forced into brutal decisions under time pressure, you should check it out.

I liked the game very much (some episodes are better than others), it was a really great and unusual gameplay experience.
Title: Re: Walking Dead Games?
Post by: GDS_Starfury on December 22, 2013, 07:23:01 PM
I so wish the show was more in line with the comic.
Title: Re: Walking Dead Games?
Post by: Steelgrave on December 22, 2013, 09:04:29 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on December 22, 2013, 07:23:01 PM
I so wish the show was more in line with the comic.

Yeah, see....we both love TWD but I completely disagree. Having read all the comics to date, I like that there is always an element of uncertainty. Case in point was the last episode at the prison. A lot of things mirrored the comics, but you never really knew who was safe or who was next to die, and indeed the person who died in the episode and the person who died in the comics was not the same individual.  So if you know someone dies in the comics (say at Nagan's hand...or bat), there is that tension where you wonder if this will be the time the comics and series merge.

What I think would be cool is for Clementine to appear as a Walking Dead character. That would rock.
Title: Re: Walking Dead Games?
Post by: LongBlade on December 22, 2013, 09:17:35 PM
Quote from: Steelgrave on December 22, 2013, 09:04:29 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on December 22, 2013, 07:23:01 PM
I so wish the show was more in line with the comic.

Yeah, see....we both love TWD but I completely disagree. Having read all the comics to date, I like that there is always an element of uncertainty. Case in point was the last episode at the prison. A lot of things mirrored the comics, but you never really knew who was safe or who was next to die, and indeed the person who died in the episode and the person who died in the comics was not the same individual.  So if you know someone dies in the comics (say at Nagan's hand...or bat), there is that tension where you wonder if this will be the time the comics and series merge.

What I think would be cool is for Clementine to appear as a Walking Dead character. That would rock.

+1 to all of the above, Steelie.
Title: Re: Walking Dead Games?
Post by: W8taminute on December 23, 2013, 06:37:05 AM
I'll echo what others have said about this game.  I've played the whole story through and the story is really done well.  I got emotionally attached to the plight of the main character and the little girl he's taking care of.  At the end of each chapter you get compared on the tough decisions you made in the story compared to the rest of the community. 
Title: Re: Walking Dead Games?
Post by: Hiimori on December 23, 2013, 07:18:32 AM
Quote from: W8taminute on December 23, 2013, 06:37:05 AM
At the end of each chapter you get compared on the tough decisions you made in the story compared to the rest of the community.

I learned that about 7-15% of players made the same decisions as I did, so I guess I chose the most unpopular ones. I thought them to be the best decisions for the survival of the group over risking my people by saving one individual, but apparently, some of my decisions were highly unpopular among the community. Which gave me the impression that I'm more the governor type than a Rick person.
Title: Re: Walking Dead Games?
Post by: MIGMaster on December 23, 2013, 08:26:23 AM
I'd like to see them do a cross-over epsiode where the cast of Falling Skies and the Walking Dead meet to battle zombies and aliens - a skidder zombie would be cool !
Title: Re: Walking Dead Games?
Post by: Grim.Reaper on December 23, 2013, 10:45:45 AM
Well, seems like it would be an interesting game....I ended up missing out on it when it was $6 so I will keep an eye out for when it goes on sale again, they usually do.
Title: Re: Walking Dead Games?
Post by: Grim.Reaper on December 23, 2013, 12:37:10 PM
Well that was quick, GMG had on sale for $8 (with code GMG20-ZB5D1-93X49) , including the DLC....took the lunge...

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/adventure/walking-dead-400-days-dlc-pack/