GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Toonces on January 01, 2014, 05:36:43 PM

Title: New Israel Theater for Falcon 4 BMS released
Post by: Toonces on January 01, 2014, 05:36:43 PM
Just saw this and am downloading now.  This is version 0.99 of the Israel Theater for Falcon 4 BMS that apparently includes a working single player campaign now.

I played the previous version and it really is fantastic- even without the working campaign.  This should be a must-have for any Falcon BMS fan!

http://www.benchmarksims.org/forum/showthread.php?17287-Israel-Theater-0-99-Release

Israel Theater for Falcon BMS, V0.99
31.12.2013
============================

Full documentation is located at: Falcon BMS\Data\Israel\Docs


GOAL
===================
Israel theater aims to model realistically the environment of Israel and nearby countries, present-day scenarios, and weapon systems as used in the region.


FEATURES
===================
-Accurate terrain with high resolution tiles by Polak. Photo real coverage in selected areas including the Dead Sea, Jerusalem, Haifa, Ramat David airport, Tel Aviv and Suez. Realistic elevations based on SRTM data.
-Modeling of all F-16 variants in the region - IAF F-16 A/B/C-30/C-40/D-40/I/I-CFT, EAF F-16C 32/42, RJoAF MLU - 14 squadrons total , with correct skins, models, loadouts and avionic details as much as BMS allows. Custom cockpit textures for IAF C, D and I models.
-Working dynamic campaigns which model actual order of battle down to battaltion numbers
-Realistic training environment: training missiles and bombs, six real life target ranges in Israel
-Real world airport frequencies and included airport diagrams + ILS approach charts for realistic operations
-To Hebrew speakers: Hebrew emergency and normal ops checklists included, based on IAF and LM documents
-Airport name recordings for the ATC comms, and optional fully Hebrew ATC
-TE template with pre-saved IAF squadrons at the correct airports


(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimageshack.us%2Fa%2Fimg838%2F9104%2F8tu4.jpg&hash=a4d6630dc78fde0b6ffbd78755a641a4d7c74119)
Title: Re: New Israel Theater for Falcon 4 BMS released
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 01, 2014, 06:40:02 PM
Perfect timing...
Title: Re: New Israel Theater for Falcon 4 BMS released
Post by: Yskonyn on January 02, 2014, 06:48:29 AM
Good news!
Title: Re: New Israel Theater for Falcon 4 BMS released
Post by: Shelldrake on January 02, 2014, 08:02:17 AM
Nice! Thanks Toonces.
Title: Re: New Israel Theater for Falcon 4 BMS released
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 02, 2014, 01:21:16 PM
I wish I could get back into Falcon 4 and BMS - especially with this coming out

I only ever played single player, but I loved the "dynamic" campaign (quotes because not everyone thought it was truly dynamic) and I'll NEVER forget the mission where I was CAP for a tanker and it was my turn to RTB...I was talked back to the airbase, including a Go Around and the final bearing given was absolutely spot on...runway straight ahead. I was always blown away with that kind of accuracy.

I didn't often get to RTB mind, but that one time I did I remembered it's accuracy.

I ended up with Allied Force - and it just didn't want to work with my hardware - always resulting, in a very short space of time, in extreme tearing
Title: Re: New Israel Theater for Falcon 4 BMS released
Post by: PanzersEast on January 02, 2014, 02:13:16 PM
Did some flights in beta and was pretty good.  Will have to check it out again, Thanks.



PE
Title: Re: New Israel Theater for Falcon 4 BMS released
Post by: jomni on January 03, 2014, 12:58:27 AM
How to fix UI tearing in Allied Force. http://jomnisgames.blogspot.sg/2011/09/microsoft-flight-simulator-x-experience.html?m=1
Title: Re: New Israel Theater for Falcon 4 BMS released
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 03, 2014, 02:08:57 AM
Thanks Jomni - I'll certainly give it a try - but you mention it will switch off AA in the GUI - you do understand I was getting the tearing in-flight? Is this still the fix?

I might dig it out the loft - give it a go again.
Title: Re: New Israel Theater for Falcon 4 BMS released
Post by: jomni on January 03, 2014, 02:12:01 AM
Well not sure about tearing while flying. It's worth a try. But why not jump to BMS? Unless you don't have Falcon 4 and don't bother getting it.
Title: Re: New Israel Theater for Falcon 4 BMS released
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 03, 2014, 02:16:28 AM
I don't seem to have Falcon 4 kicking about...only Falcon 4 Allied Force :-(

But thanks - I'll still give your suggestion a go. Also, I have changed my PC since - so it might be ok with new hardware and different drivers etc. I might strike lucky. I'll have a look around on the web if it's still an issue
Title: Re: New Israel Theater for Falcon 4 BMS released
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 03, 2014, 02:21:54 AM
For the LOVE of God! Curse this damned bad memory!

Apparently I asked the question on SimHQ and got a fix
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3382876.html

mmm...I forget why I took it off now  ???
Title: Re: New Israel Theater for Falcon 4 BMS released
Post by: jomni on January 03, 2014, 03:54:04 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 03, 2014, 02:21:54 AM
For the LOVE of God! Curse this damned bad memory!

Apparently I asked the question on SimHQ and got a fix
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3382876.html

mmm...I forget why I took it off now  ???

Haha. That's really funny Judge. As for me, since I maintain a blog, any fix for any game that I care about is recorded there so that I can look it up in the future and so that others can see.
Title: Re: New Israel Theater for Falcon 4 BMS released
Post by: Yskonyn on January 03, 2014, 05:06:30 AM
Jomni, I read your entry about how AF is the most detailed F-16 sim commercially available. Do you consider your reference to AF to encompass all F4 iterations just for convenience of the article?
Title: Re: New Israel Theater for Falcon 4 BMS released
Post by: jomni on January 03, 2014, 07:44:57 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on January 03, 2014, 05:06:30 AM
Jomni, I read your entry about how AF is the most detailed F-16 sim commercially available. Do you consider your reference to AF to encompass all F4 iterations just for convenience of the article?

My opinion is that AF is more refined and stable that Falcon 4.0 (default).   These are the only two Falcon 4 titles that are commercially available (for sale as standalone titles).
Of course you can say that the mods like Free Falcon are better.  And BMS is the pinnacle of Falcon 4 evolution.  But these titles are mods for the once "incomplete" Falcon 4.0.

Basically if you want to play a default Falcon 4 title and you have to choose between AF or Falcon 4.0, I recommend AF over Falcon 4.0.
If you want to get the mods, then I recommend Falcon 4.0 but it is becoming more rare now and expensive.  AF is still found in many stores.




Title: Re: New Israel Theater for Falcon 4 BMS released
Post by: Yskonyn on January 03, 2014, 08:34:43 AM
Why on earth would you want to play a 'vanilla' Falcon version if you can play a much more refined one?
Besides, BMS is based on the leaked code, just like AF, the only difference being that the guys from AF managed to get a legal deal. But it started as a mod as well. ;)
Title: Re: New Israel Theater for Falcon 4 BMS released
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 03, 2014, 08:48:08 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on January 03, 2014, 08:34:43 AM
Why on earth would you want to play a 'vanilla' Falcon version if you can play a much more refined one?
Besides, BMS is based on the leaked code, just like AF, the only difference being that the guys from AF managed to get a legal deal. But it started as a mod as well. ;)

+1. Seriously...
Title: Re: New Israel Theater for Falcon 4 BMS released
Post by: PanzersEast on January 03, 2014, 09:05:21 AM
A lot of air activity and I was shot down twice.... both times on my way to strike an airbase..... fun times  ;)

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Flinesofcommand.com%2Fimages%2Fil1.jpg&hash=9434086f2cb3b0e8b390ec9cf420381f5caf6995)

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Flinesofcommand.com%2Fimages%2Fil2.jpg&hash=d198fece4838cae056dcc9664a0a5d82cd2ae9c7)

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Flinesofcommand.com%2Fimages%2Fil3.jpg&hash=cfa0f9a10dac6f3df23b260a971ddf56954ac635)
Title: Re: New Israel Theater for Falcon 4 BMS released
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 03, 2014, 09:12:28 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on January 03, 2014, 08:34:43 AM
Why on earth would you want to play a 'vanilla' Falcon version if you can play a much more refined one?
Besides, BMS is based on the leaked code, just like AF, the only difference being that the guys from AF managed to get a legal deal. But it started as a mod as well. ;)
I don't know what one you're talking about? AF or BMS?
Title: Re: New Israel Theater for Falcon 4 BMS released
Post by: Nefaro on January 03, 2014, 01:22:24 PM
Is the Israeli campaign based in a certain year or are there multiple ones to choose from?
Title: Re: New Israel Theater for Falcon 4 BMS released
Post by: jomni on January 03, 2014, 05:22:53 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 03, 2014, 09:12:28 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on January 03, 2014, 08:34:43 AM
Why on earth would you want to play a 'vanilla' Falcon version if you can play a much more refined one?
Besides, BMS is based on the leaked code, just like AF, the only difference being that the guys from AF managed to get a legal deal. But it started as a mod as well. ;)
I don't know what one you're talking about? AF or BMS?
BMS > AF
Title: Re: New Israel Theater for Falcon 4 BMS released
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 03, 2014, 05:25:11 PM
oh
Title: Re: New Israel Theater for Falcon 4 BMS released
Post by: Toonces on January 03, 2014, 06:03:31 PM
I was just browsing around on Amazon and there are some used copies of original Falcon 4.0 (disk only) for $30-40, and I saw one like new copy with the ring-bound binder and box for about $65.  Although I don't normally encourage folks to buy 12+ year old games for $65, in this case I think it's still a worthy purchase.  That's roughly the price it was originally when new, and with the continued work BMS is doing I think it's a safe bet. 

At the risk of derailing this thread, the only real competitor to BMS is DCS, and I don't envision a dynamic campaign of BMS's calibre anytime soon. 

Title: Re: New Israel Theater for Falcon 4 BMS released
Post by: Toonces on January 03, 2014, 06:04:18 PM
However, all you really need for BMS is the original Falcon 4.0 .exe file, and I understand there are ways to acquire that if you don't want to necessarily buy the disk.
Title: Re: New Israel Theater for Falcon 4 BMS released
Post by: Toonces on January 03, 2014, 08:45:40 PM
I'd also like to point out that there is a Balkans theater for download at BMS as well.  The theater comes with a pretty nice Su-27 cockpit as well.  I did start the theater with the Su-27 but the RWR doesn't work in the cockpit and I personally found it too challenging without the SA the RWR provides in a modern SAM environment.

The theater uses a lot of photoreal tiles and looks very nice.  Single player should work and be winnable, although I haven't seen confirmation of that yet.

Balkans Theater video:



Title: Re: New Israel Theater for Falcon 4 BMS released
Post by: Toonces on January 03, 2014, 10:05:22 PM
I finally found an Israel Theater video that didn't hurt my head:

Title: Re: New Israel Theater for Falcon 4 BMS released
Post by: PanzersEast on January 04, 2014, 01:31:38 AM
Posted this in the SS section, but Striking an AB to the north.

Went through and did an CCRP run and then back around to do a CCIP on the hangers.  Had a hard time RTB.... it was not easy.

My F-15 friends clearing a path....
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Flinesofcommand.com%2Fimages%2FF4%2F1%2Fs2.jpg&hash=6daac65559058dde85f7920c849dcc4f18d09508)

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Flinesofcommand.com%2Fimages%2FF4%2F1%2Fs3.jpg&hash=fc9c568aa0ae2a3bc45dfe2fac8986abf20054e2)

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Flinesofcommand.com%2Fimages%2FF4%2F1%2Fs4.jpg&hash=e6ddc87461ab96e3d0282c4fed8c92cd961e68cd)

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Flinesofcommand.com%2Fimages%2FF4%2F1%2Fs5.jpg&hash=4be84b753f0930cc91caec573df8be95962fa2fa)


PE
Title: Re: New Israel Theater for Falcon 4 BMS released
Post by: Nefaro on January 04, 2014, 01:53:36 AM
Looks great.  How much AA do you have forced on?
Title: Re: New Israel Theater for Falcon 4 BMS released
Post by: PanzersEast on January 04, 2014, 02:01:49 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 04, 2014, 01:53:36 AM
Looks great.  How much AA do you have forced on?

I have 4X right now... have flipped between 4 and 8.


PE
Title: Re: New Israel Theater for Falcon 4 BMS released
Post by: Nefaro on January 04, 2014, 02:07:09 AM
Quote from: PanzersEast on January 04, 2014, 02:01:49 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 04, 2014, 01:53:36 AM
Looks great.  How much AA do you have forced on?

I have 4X right now... have flipped between 4 and 8.


PE

Looks just fine with 4x. 

How much headache is it to get the mod installed and tweaked up?  Learning the systems is one thing but I find it's usually the modding, tweaking, and bug workaround implementation parts that cause me initial hesitation with these older games' mods.


I will certainly load up BMS, once my WWI simming streak is satiated.  But I would've already done it in the past if not for some of my past bad experiences with modding Falcon 4.
Title: Re: New Israel Theater for Falcon 4 BMS released
Post by: Toonces on January 04, 2014, 02:10:08 AM
BMS is a very easy mod to install.  It's one click now. 

And, for that matter, so are both the Balkans and Israel theaters.  We've come a long way from the old days.  Some very talented individuals are creating .exe's for these things now.
Title: Re: New Israel Theater for Falcon 4 BMS released
Post by: Nefaro on January 04, 2014, 02:11:19 AM
Quote from: Toonces on January 04, 2014, 02:10:08 AM
BMS is a very easy mod to install.  It's one click now. 

And, for that matter, so are both the Balkans and Israel theaters.  We've come a long way from the old days.  Some very talented individuals are creating .exe's for these things now.

Nice.

I'll definitely put it on my next jet age sim list.  :D


I didn't see this answered before, may have missed it.  Does the Israel campaign have different  years in which it is set or is it just a single specific start year?
Title: Re: New Israel Theater for Falcon 4 BMS released
Post by: Toonces on January 04, 2014, 02:23:01 AM
Unfortunately the BMS version is only one year.  There are two campaigns.  One models a ground war and one is air war only with victory conditions based on attrition (which is something I've advocated modelling for about forever now).

The Freefalcon version, IMHO, was better because it modeled three different eras with a plethora of flyable aircraft on both sides.  The FF ITO2 is the underlying basis for the BMS theater, but it's been basically gutted and reconstructed.

Of course, Freefalcon had many limitations compared to BMS, so maybe it's more fair to say that I personally preferred the Yom Kippur campaign in FF ITO2 to the modern BMS campaign, but either way they were/are both a great leap forward for Falcon 4.0.
Title: Re: New Israel Theater for Falcon 4 BMS released
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 04, 2014, 08:22:56 AM
Ahhhhh...so Freefalcon is the one that a bunch of different fly able aircraft and downloadable pits? I think I even remember buying a really high fidelity F15E pit from one of the modders who started selling his work.

Is it possible to have a FF install and a BMS install on one machine? Is it worth it?
Title: Re: New Israel Theater for Falcon 4 BMS released
Post by: PanzersEast on January 04, 2014, 01:03:16 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 04, 2014, 08:22:56 AM
Ahhhhh...so Freefalcon is the one that a bunch of different fly able aircraft and downloadable pits? I think I even remember buying a really high fidelity F15E pit from one of the modders who started selling his work.

Is it possible to have a FF install and a BMS install on one machine? Is it worth it?

FF is no longer being worked on.... work on it stopped working on it about a year ago.


PE
Title: Re: New Israel Theater for Falcon 4 BMS released
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 04, 2014, 01:28:00 PM
Quote from: PanzersEast on January 04, 2014, 01:03:16 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 04, 2014, 08:22:56 AM
Ahhhhh...so Freefalcon is the one that a bunch of different fly able aircraft and downloadable pits? I think I even remember buying a really high fidelity F15E pit from one of the modders who started selling his work.

Is it possible to have a FF install and a BMS install on one machine? Is it worth it?

FF is no longer being worked on.... work on it stopped working on it about a year ago.


PE

I know, but its still available, isn't it? I'm sure I have it installed on at least one of my systems.
Title: Re: New Israel Theater for Falcon 4 BMS released
Post by: Toonces on January 04, 2014, 10:26:02 PM
Jarhead,
Yes, you can install both BMS and FF on the same computer and they won't even notice each other.
Title: Re: New Israel Theater for Falcon 4 BMS released
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 04, 2014, 10:31:10 PM
Quote from: Toonces on January 04, 2014, 10:26:02 PM
Jarhead,
Yes, you can install both BMS and FF on the same computer and they won't even notice each other.

Do you ever fly FF? What's your take on it?
Title: Re: New Israel Theater for Falcon 4 BMS released
Post by: Nefaro on January 04, 2014, 11:43:11 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 04, 2014, 10:31:10 PM
Quote from: Toonces on January 04, 2014, 10:26:02 PM
Jarhead,
Yes, you can install both BMS and FF on the same computer and they won't even notice each other.

Do you ever fly FF? What's your take on it?

FreeFalcon was one of the mods I had some buggy interface issues with awhile back, IIRC.  Maybe those issues were eventually fixed but I didn't bother going back to try.
Title: Re: New Israel Theater for Falcon 4 BMS released
Post by: PanzersEast on January 05, 2014, 01:36:15 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 04, 2014, 10:31:10 PM
Quote from: Toonces on January 04, 2014, 10:26:02 PM
Jarhead,
Yes, you can install both BMS and FF on the same computer and they won't even notice each other.

Do you ever fly FF? What's your take on it?

I played it for a short while, but went back to BMS pretty quickly.


PE
Title: Re: New Israel Theater for Falcon 4 BMS released
Post by: Toonces on January 05, 2014, 02:37:57 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 04, 2014, 10:31:10 PM
Quote from: Toonces on January 04, 2014, 10:26:02 PM
Jarhead,
Yes, you can install both BMS and FF on the same computer and they won't even notice each other.

Do you ever fly FF? What's your take on it?

Unfortunately I can't fly FF anymore because it won't work on my system.  When I got my new computer I got an Nvidia card and FF doesn't work well with Nvidia.

I dev'd on Freefalcon for a few years so I'm sort of biased.  I probably still would prefer FF over BMS if I could get it to work.  I personally enjoyed flying the other jets that were available and I had many self-created campaigns that featured Vietnam-era planesets that were just plain fun to play. 

Having said that, though, that BMS brings a lot to the table.  The graphics are substantially better and the multiplayer is very stable.  FF never had stable multiplayer.  There are some player vs. player campaigns in BMS that bring Falcon full circle, with multiplayer action inside Falcon's dynamic campaign engine.  They've also improved on comms, and some systems implementation.

The downside is that the AI is still a mess in BMS, and their database is still buggy.  It won't necessarily be apparent unless you go looking for it, but one of the major projects we did in Freefalcon was to take about a year and clean up the database, which is fundamental to how the sim works. 

If I could get FF to run I'd still play it.  When we stopped working on it it was in pretty good shape.  Most people have moved on to BMS now, though.
Title: Re: New Israel Theater for Falcon 4 BMS released
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 05, 2014, 03:32:29 PM
I didn't install Falcon 4:Allied Force. I got it out the loft, but then I thought "I aint going to go back to it...I have all my DCS stuff and the Mig-21 is coming out for it next month"

So I made the decision not to install...goodbye old faithful.
Title: Re: New Israel Theater for Falcon 4 BMS released
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 05, 2014, 03:59:47 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 05, 2014, 03:32:29 PM
I didn't install Falcon 4:Allied Force. I got it out the loft, but then I thought "I aint going to go back to it...I have all my DCS stuff and the Mig-21 is coming out for it next month"

So I made the decision not to install...goodbye old faithful.

Didn't realize the Mig was so close to release. Good news!
Title: Re: New Israel Theater for Falcon 4 BMS released
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 05, 2014, 04:17:07 PM
oops...sorry JH...it's not out until March. I don't know why I said next month...I always knew it was March. Brain fart I guess.
Title: Re: New Israel Theater for Falcon 4 BMS released
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 05, 2014, 04:51:00 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 05, 2014, 04:17:07 PM
oops...sorry JH...it's not out until March. I don't know why I said next month...I always knew it was March. Brain fart I guess.

Still, not too far off. It'll be here before you know it.