I've come back to this game while I'm waiting for Planetary Annihilation to get a little more cooked.
Its from 2007 and still looks really good. The unit and building list is truly impressive and for an RTS there really does feel like you have a lot of opportunity to execute "real" strategy. The maps are simply massive and the action takes place on land, seas and air...all at the same damn time. Anyway, I wish Planetary Annihilation was really just going to be a modernized SC with space/planets. Instead they're re-writing the game, but to be honest, SC came pretty damn close to nailing right. Really no reason to change much.
Overall, this really is an outstanding RTS, perhaps one of the best.
Anybody else play?
I just recently reinstalled SC (can't get FA to run)
Absolutely love this game. It is truly an innovative game... Specifically the UI, and some of the things you're able to do. The AI is damn near brilliant when you compare it to the crap on today's market - find me another game that will learn from your play style and adjust its own strategy accordingly!
A friend and I have been playing some epic comp stomp matches.
Edit - I would also say that this is the best RTS out there
Yes! This is one of my All time favorite rts games and I always leave it installed.
It's pretty hard to learn to play it properly and because of the scope you can execute some pretty cool tactics.
Besides; setting up an auto transport squadron to assist the factory to get your units to the front line All by itself never gets old!!
The campaign is pretty cool too.
We play FA regularly at our LAN party.
And what about Supreme Commander 2?
That's a totally different game IMO.
It's scale is much smaller. They tried to make it a more fast paced game, with smaller maps and less units. I don't like it too much.
Quote from: jomni on January 05, 2014, 02:20:33 AM
And what about Supreme Commander 2?
The general consensus from fans of Supreme Commander is that the second game in the series was a huge step backwards. Most seem to despise it. Dumbed down, over-simplified, smaller scale, fewer options. Everything that made the first game great was removed.
How's the pacing and control? I was always fascinated by SC, but the large scale combined with it being real-time intimidated me.
Really? You couldn't do this before the new years resolutions were made? >:( :P
Always seemed like it would be hectic based on some reviews, but always peaked my interest. It is real cheap at amazon, might be worth a gamble
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000U8AYOO/ref=s9_simh_gw_p367_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0652KFVF5Z1M9VFGGJ5Y&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846
Quote from: undercovergeek on January 05, 2014, 02:05:06 PM
Really? You couldn't do this before the new years resolutions were made? >:( :P
LOL. Sorry, my bad.
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 05, 2014, 02:05:47 PM
Always seemed like it would be hectic based on some reviews, but always peaked my interest. It is real cheap at amazon, might be worth a gamble
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000U8AYOO/ref=s9_simh_gw_p367_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0652KFVF5Z1M9VFGGJ5Y&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846
It's a tenner on steam if you want it now
Quote from: undercovergeek on January 05, 2014, 02:26:23 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 05, 2014, 02:05:47 PM
Always seemed like it would be hectic based on some reviews, but always peaked my interest. It is real cheap at amazon, might be worth a gamble
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000U8AYOO/ref=s9_simh_gw_p367_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0652KFVF5Z1M9VFGGJ5Y&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846
It's a tenner on steam if you want it now
But the download on amazon is only $5.55 and is steam code too:)
Fancy Americans!
$3.74 at greenmangaming
Does Forged Alliance need the first SC?? One of the reviews (from Amazon) I read indicated some features in FA may be missing if you don't have SC1 ???
Quote from: steve58 on January 05, 2014, 06:54:04 PM
Does Forged Alliance need the first SC?? One of the reviews (from Amazon) I read indicated some features in FA may be missing if you don't have SC1 ???
Gmg also has the gold pack for 4.99 that contains both
Quote from: steve58 on January 05, 2014, 06:54:04 PM
Does Forged Alliance need the first SC?? One of the reviews (from Amazon) I read indicated some features in FA may be missing if you don't have SC1 ???
Nope. It is entirely stand alone.
I want to warn you guys. This game is seriously hard. The AI puts up a tremendous challenge and it isn't because it is cheating. The game makes me feel seriously incompetent.
You're all on notice.
Yep, probably too much over my head even for $4......
holy crap its £2.50 on GMG
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 05, 2014, 07:07:21 PM
I want to warn you guys. This game is seriously hard. The AI puts up a tremendous challenge and it isn't because it is cheating. The game makes me feel seriously incompetent.
You're all on notice.
are you playing skirmish or campaign?
the campaign is baby-sit mode.
Skirmish is hard.. even on the non-agressive AI's.
How hectic is it? Hard to keep track of everything going on? Fast pace? Just concerned wouldn't be able to keep up. I am ok with tough ai.
Quote from: Yskonyn on January 05, 2014, 07:39:06 PM
the campaign is baby-sit mode.
Skirmish is hard.. even on the non-agressive AI's.
I find both the campaign and skirmish modes very challenging. Even the first campaign mission is hard as heck. Just when I thought I finally had it licked, those damn colossus' showed up.
It can get very hectic.
Because of the sizes of the maps being this big you will likely have to manage several fronts at the same time.
Luckily the game has some pretty neat orders feature that lets you automate certain stuff like factories delivering units to a rally point and linking a transport squadron to that rally point and a point where the action is so your newly produced units are automatically flown to the front.
All units will also auto attack enemies instead of just sitting there while getting shot.
But despite this, the game requires you to have pretty good diversion of attention skills!:)
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 05, 2014, 07:07:21 PM
I want to warn you guys. This game is seriously hard. The AI puts up a tremendous challenge and it isn't because it is cheating. The game makes me feel seriously incompetent.
You're all on notice.
IIRC it's standalone, but you can't play some factions in skirmish(?) without the original.
purchased this morning, ill give it a spin when i get home
Quote from: bobarossa on January 06, 2014, 09:55:56 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 05, 2014, 07:07:21 PM
I want to warn you guys. This game is seriously hard. The AI puts up a tremendous challenge and it isn't because it is cheating. The game makes me feel seriously incompetent.
You're all on notice.
IIRC it's standalone, but you can't play some factions in skirmish(?) without the original.
Not true. It's fully standalone. :)
Quote from: undercovergeek on January 06, 2014, 12:04:27 PM
purchased this morning, ill give it a spin when i get home
whew...I missed the sale at GMG so I am not longer tempted to buy:) Will be interested in what you think of it.
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 06, 2014, 04:20:07 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on January 06, 2014, 12:04:27 PM
purchased this morning, ill give it a spin when i get home
whew...I missed the sale at GMG so I am not longer tempted to buy:) Will be interested in what you think of it.
;D same with me. I checked GMG after lunch and the Gold edition was back to $20...so no go.
played the tutorial - i cant believe how big the maps get!!!
epic battles ahead