First trailer out!
Looking good! 8) WALB took some time to grow on me - I really didn't come to enjoy it until I started using the cool replay viewer :) - but now I can't stop playing it. It was the comeback kid of 2013 gaming for me.
Calling a game involving China "Red Dragon" is about as original as all those "palace" or "great wall" Chinese restaurants.
Having said that, I wonder how balanced the new factions will be, considering that the Chinese armed forces have only recently moved into gear when it comes to closing the technological gap with Western forces. I wonder whether the Chinese or North Koreans will be nearly as good as Soviet forces.
Quote from: ComradeP on January 08, 2014, 03:02:03 PM
Calling a game involving China "Red Dragon" is about as original as all those "palace" or "great wall" Chinese restaurants.
Having said that, I wonder how balanced the new factions will be, considering that the Chinese armed forces have only recently moved into gear when it comes to closing the technological gap with Western forces. I wonder whether the Chinese or North Koreans will be nearly as good as Soviet forces.
Given that the game is actually called, "Wargame," I think its safe to assume that creativity in naming is not the developers strong suit...but the game does kick butt.
Quote from: ComradeP on January 08, 2014, 03:02:03 PM
Having said that, I wonder how balanced the new factions will be, considering that the Chinese armed forces have only recently moved into gear when it comes to closing the technological gap with Western forces. I wonder whether the Chinese or North Koreans will be nearly as good as Soviet forces.
That's a good question. This is why I was curious as to why Eugen decided to cap the timeline at 1991 for the new forces. Strange decision. If you are going to leave the NATO vs. Warsaw Pact situation in Europe for a new Asian theater, it would have made more sense to bring Wargame into the 21st Century modern era.
That's the thing with Eugen - sometimes I really find myself scratching my head with their design decisions. :-\
After 91 the tech edge would be too biased towards US / SK forces.
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 08, 2014, 03:11:02 PM
After 91 the tech edge would be too biased towards US / SK forces.
But isn't China closing the tech gap now?
BTW: here is the text that goes with the vid. It seems that another reason for the '91 cap is that they are still trying to tie this in to the WWIII theme.
QuoteThe tension is ramping up in Wargame Red Dragon! The latest game in the spectacular RTS series created by developers Eugen Systems can today reveal the very first teaser video that takes us to the heart of Asia and the scenes of the next clashes of Wargame.
The NATO and Pact armies and their allies finally deploy in Asia. This first Red Dragon video gives us a taste of the strategic and pyrotechnical delights in store for you in this new Wargame title, which takes place at the start of a new major armed conflict. You can look forward to new factions, new units and combat vehicles (for a total of over 1,300!) and, in particular, the introduction of naval units: the landing craft, amphibian vehicles and warships will thrill fans of complex strategies, who will now be able to include the waterways as an integral part of their tactics!
More ambitious than Wargame AirLand Battle, Wargame Red Dragon essentially retains the same game mechanics that made the series so successful, but the action leaves Europe for the first time and shifts to a conflict in central Asia between 1975 and 1991, and adding loads of new features. 5 new nations, among which China and North Korea, join the armed forces in Wargame with over 450 new units. The introduction of naval and amphibian units is a particular highlight, and the maritime and river areas provide fresh strategic opportunities! A new solo campaign plunges players headlong into a hellish war around Korea, while Wargame's extensive, road-tested multiplayer mode will engage them in some intense and spectacular battles with up to 20 other players simultaneously!
More of Wargame: Red Dragon will be revealed over the coming weeks with new screenshots and videos.
China is building numbers not closing the gap imho.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 08, 2014, 03:07:13 PM
Quote from: ComradeP on January 08, 2014, 03:02:03 PM
Calling a game involving China "Red Dragon" is about as original as all those "palace" or "great wall" Chinese restaurants.
Having said that, I wonder how balanced the new factions will be, considering that the Chinese armed forces have only recently moved into gear when it comes to closing the technological gap with Western forces. I wonder whether the Chinese or North Koreans will be nearly as good as Soviet forces.
Given that the game is actually called, "Wargame," I think its safe to assume that creativity in naming is not the developers strong suit...but the game does kick butt.
Since when do Wargames have original or creative names? :P
Quote from: Tpek on January 08, 2014, 03:38:38 PM
Since when do Wargames have original or creative names? :P
If it's WW2, just add either "Tiger" or "Panzer" to it.
Isn't that the normal naming convention?
:P
My biggest concern is the implementation of naval units, I really don't know how do they fit to the current scale of the game. I hope there will be maps where you don't have to use them.
after reading through the forums Im thinking that they will cost a fortune and be placed on the map like FOBs for the large ships. having a Burke cover your FOB and arty might be a pretty nice thing. the smaller stuff will allow river and lake crossings but be kind of easy to kill. guess we'll have to see.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=153388204#
for those who still need a little help or are just starting out
Quote from: Nefaro on January 08, 2014, 11:33:57 PM
Quote from: Tpek on January 08, 2014, 03:38:38 PM
Since when do Wargames have original or creative names? :P
If it's WW2, just add either "Tiger" or "Panzer" to it.
Isn't that the normal naming convention?
:P
Don't forget:
Fury
Storm
Steel
Heroes
War
Command
Battles
Iron
Combat
Squad
and so on...
Quote from: Staggerwing on January 09, 2014, 09:59:48 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 08, 2014, 11:33:57 PM
Quote from: Tpek on January 08, 2014, 03:38:38 PM
Since when do Wargames have original or creative names? :P
If it's WW2, just add either "Tiger" or "Panzer" to it.
Isn't that the normal naming convention?
:P
Don't forget:
Fury
Storm
Steel
Heroes
War
Command
Battles
Iron
Combat
Squad
and so on...
Lol
"Steel Fury: War Command"
Iron Storm: Combat Command
thats not so bad.
Steel heroes: squad combat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoXwdVJIlk0#t=68
makes me want to play it which can only be a good thing
I want to get back into AirLand Battle again, before long.
Any of you guys been playing lately?
Any release date yet?
Red Dragon looks very interesting,but I'm afraid I agree with this poster about the game.
"Wargame is so close to being the ultimate RTS but unfortunately its strength is its weakness. The sheer scale of the battles and pace of the game along with the necessity to micro manage so may aspects such as supplies means there isn't time to zoom in and appreciate the battles and you basically play games with icons. Also to play a game properly you would need a few hours because the time limits of even 40 minutes simply are not long enough to develop a viable strategy to win the battle overall - in fact many battles are just getting interesting when the time limit is up. Of course people don't want to play a game for hours at a time but like I say, its strength is its weakness and I'm not sure how they could change things to make it more immersive (get you closer tot he action) and still keep the scale."
Graviteam right now has the scale about right for this type of RTS.
Unfortunately Graviteam also seems to be moving into the same direction as WG:ALB.
I personally would like to see the game slowed down some with smaller units to command so you can spend more time at the ground level with your troops and less time with your camera in the clouds.
I think if this issue above all else is addressed this could be a really great game,otherwise the game looks truly spectacular.
Congratulations to Eugen.
With each release, you are getting closer to turning Wargame into Command and Conquer: Red Alert.
>:(
Sharp rocks: Caveman Command.
Quote from: Dolan50 on February 22, 2014, 09:55:53 AM
Red Dragon looks very interesting,but I'm afraid I agree with this poster about the game.
"Wargame is so close to being the ultimate RTS but unfortunately its strength is its weakness. The sheer scale of the battles and pace of the game along with the necessity to micro manage so may aspects such as supplies means there isn't time to zoom in and appreciate the battles and you basically play games with icons. Also to play a game properly you would need a few hours because the time limits of even 40 minutes simply are not long enough to develop a viable strategy to win the battle overall - in fact many battles are just getting interesting when the time limit is up. Of course people don't want to play a game for hours at a time but like I say, its strength is its weakness and I'm not sure how they could change things to make it more immersive (get you closer tot he action) and still keep the scale."
Graviteam right now has the scale about right for this type of RTS.
Unfortunately Graviteam also seems to be moving into the same direction as WG:ALB.
I personally would like to see the game slowed down some with smaller units to command so you can spend more time at the ground level with your troops and less time with your camera in the clouds.
I think if this issue above all else is addressed this could be a really great game,otherwise the game looks truly spectacular.
this will be the game with slow down feature
Pre orders up and 25% off if previous owner
http://store.steampowered.com/app/251060/
Can anyone verify that there is an option to slow down the game from the hectic.... rush.
PE
Beta is mp only so no chance to test that yet.
Do these games have team options? Or is it always 1 vs. 1? It seems to me that the problems might be solved by using teams and having an overall commander deal with the logistics and overall strategy, leaving subordinates to command most of the troops on the ground.
I jumped in to the beta, it's mp only right now. Pretty much the same frantic gameplay as ALB. The few mp matches I've played have been cool, no rage quitters leaving you 1 against 4 S soon as the going gets tough. I think that's mainly because people playing the beta are Probably more serious fans. I recommend playing a 4v4 and just pick a couple objectives to go for, games quite manageable this way.
I to am hoping for good results with the new slowed down time compression and new campaign system. This game could be so good in single player, for the life of me I can't understand why they won't let you play the campaign with unlimited time and pause time to give orders like every other rts out there.
Quote from: PanzersEast on March 25, 2014, 10:49:49 AM
Can anyone verify that there is an option to slow down the game from the hectic.... rush.
PE
i was looking for this the other day, like its now some kind of urban myth - i havent seen anyone mention it since
If this thing played at the same rate as Harpoon it would be ok - but, it's just like trying to organize a pre-schoolers chess tournament on a roller coaster !
I'd like to see them hook up with Graviteam and offer the same type RTS game play currently available with Operation Star-Pause and ability to slow or speed the game up.
I think a collaborative effort by both sides could offer the best of both worlds for some truly spectacular gameplay.
Graviteam already seems to be drifting towards a WG:ALB type wargame set in WW2.