GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: bboyer66 on January 09, 2014, 10:49:48 AM

Title: Damn It... I did it again
Post by: bboyer66 on January 09, 2014, 10:49:48 AM
 Im not exactly sure what the hell is going on here. All these reviews have gushed over games such as The Stanley Parable., Dear Ester, and Gone Home. Dear Ester I found to be boring and not all that thought provoking. The Stanley Parable I found to be less boring, and slightly more thought provoking. Which brings us to Gone Home. Best game of 2013 on quite a few lists. So I think lets give it a shot.

When it was done I was like "are you fuckin kidding me". It, like the other games mentioned, is not a game in any way. Its a narrative tale, told through you walking around a computer generated environment.  Zero gameplay elements. The designers just want you to tell you a story, not make your own, or feel like your contributing.  Now I can understand some slight entertainment value in these titles, but when people are calling Gone Home game of the year, I have to wonder what the hell is going through these peoples heads. Gone Home is literally a love story that could have been easily found in any teen book section at Barnes and Noble. None of these games have left me with the memories or stimulated my mind as say the story in Red Dead Redemption, Dishonored, or Sleeping Dogs.

Anyways, am I the only asshat playing these "games", and wondering what the hell is all the hoopla about?
Title: Re: Damn It... I did it again
Post by: Gusington on January 09, 2014, 10:55:46 AM
Yes.
Title: Re: Damn It... I did it again
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 09, 2014, 10:56:15 AM
Quote from: bboyer66 on January 09, 2014, 10:49:48 AM

Anyways, am I the only asshat playing these "games"...?

Yes.
Title: Re: Damn It... I did it again
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 09, 2014, 10:56:36 AM
Nice!
Title: Re: Damn It... I did it again
Post by: Gusington on January 09, 2014, 11:15:28 AM
HAHAHA Boyer!
Title: Re: Damn It... I did it again
Post by: GDS_Starfury on January 09, 2014, 11:17:35 AM
Try the walking dead games Boyer.
Title: Re: Damn It... I did it again
Post by: bboyer66 on January 09, 2014, 11:20:36 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 09, 2014, 11:17:35 AM
Try the walking dead games Boyer.

Thanks, I actually just finished the first chapter of the first Walking Dead Game the other day. Enjoyed it so far. Good story, and you actually do something other than just look around.
Title: Re: Damn It... I did it again
Post by: bboyer66 on January 09, 2014, 11:22:18 AM
Its official...... I am an Asshat
Title: Re: Damn It... I did it again
Post by: Gusington on January 09, 2014, 11:24:14 AM
The Pope is Catholic too.
Title: Re: Damn It... I did it again
Post by: undercovergeek on January 09, 2014, 11:33:25 AM
im at a loss for the clamour of cheap, crap looking, low budget indy titles.

75% of RPS updates, stories, bulletins are of games that i would have baulked at with my C64 - great that the opportunity is there for people to make their own thing but not so great the market is flooded with spectrum and C64 games that journalists leap all over as the cool next thing - the worse it looks the more accolades it gets

give me my AAA titles
Title: Re: Damn It... I did it again
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 09, 2014, 11:41:32 AM
^Yeah...I think the pixel rage has gone on long enough.
Title: Re: Damn It... I did it again
Post by: bboyer66 on January 09, 2014, 11:51:52 AM
 Great point Geek

Im at a loss as well. My prediction is that vector graphics will make a comeback soon. Battlezone X here we come.

(https://instruct1.cit.cornell.edu/Courses/ee476/FinalProjects/s2008/jk459_mmi4/jk459_mmi4/Atari_BattleZone_Screenshot.gif)
Title: Re: Damn It... I did it again
Post by: Swatter on January 09, 2014, 12:22:30 PM
I removed RPS from my favorites months ago. I haven't noticed its absence.
Title: Re: Damn It... I did it again
Post by: Gusington on January 09, 2014, 12:27:22 PM
I love'em, most of the time. They can be overly British and chatty sometimes, and maybe a little hipster-doofusish, but not always.

Anyway back to my game of Zork.
Title: Re: Damn It... I did it again
Post by: undercovergeek on January 09, 2014, 12:28:52 PM
youre going to have to explain 'overly British'!  :P
Title: Re: Damn It... I did it again
Post by: MengJiao on January 09, 2014, 12:29:25 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on January 09, 2014, 11:33:25 AM
im at a loss for the clamour of cheap, crap looking, low budget indy titles.

75% of RPS updates, stories, bulletins are of games that i would have baulked at with my C64 - great that the opportunity is there for people to make their own thing but not so great the market is flooded with spectrum and C64 games that journalists leap all over as the cool next thing - the worse it looks the more accolades it gets

give me my AAA titles

  It's the painful horror of the endlessly disappointing search for coolness.  RPS allows you to skip the search and enjoy the vicarious comedy of coolness processed to a pure commodity that you don't even have to buy.  I read RPS as much as possible, but most of the games look bad from every possible point of view -- after all what do I like?  Flight sims (barely mentioned on RPS), ARMAIII (RPS likes it -- not sure why), Rome II (RPS never knew what to make of it -- a very good sign), Alea Jacta Est in all its forms (never noted at all by RPS?), CM2 in all its forms (possibly noted by RPS) and that's about it.  Possibly not much coolness in all that -- thankfully!
Title: Re: Damn It... I did it again
Post by: Gusington on January 09, 2014, 12:30:22 PM
You know like you and Bawb.
Title: Re: Damn It... I did it again
Post by: bayonetbrant on January 09, 2014, 12:31:19 PM
Quote from: bboyer66 on January 09, 2014, 11:22:18 AM
Its official...... I am an Asshat

in other late-breaking news
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Ffarm6.staticflickr.com%2F5492%2F11857713286_c5c7d4483d_o.jpg&hash=acf6769f00b81aaebf78d19ca486bebfcadf0a9e)
Title: Re: Damn It... I did it again
Post by: Gusington on January 09, 2014, 12:36:53 PM
Damn BB wins.
Title: Re: Damn It... I did it again
Post by: bboyer66 on January 09, 2014, 01:19:20 PM
HA

Despite my asshattery , I think I am going to try another RPS recommendation.  Pathologic. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pathologic ). Anyone try this dud round out yet?


Title: Re: Damn It... I did it again
Post by: Gusington on January 09, 2014, 02:00:33 PM
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting non-asshattery.
Title: Re: Damn It... I did it again
Post by: Nefaro on January 09, 2014, 02:55:28 PM
Quote from: bboyer66 on January 09, 2014, 01:19:20 PM
HA

Despite my asshattery , I think I am going to try another RPS recommendation.  Pathologic. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pathologic ). Anyone try this dud round out yet?

It sounded a bit too close to the 'Point & Click Adventure' style years ago.  Which sounds like the root of your ass-hattery problem. 

It also probably looks terrible due to age these days, too.
Title: Re: Damn It... I did it again
Post by: undercovergeek on January 09, 2014, 03:21:58 PM
Quote from: bboyer66 on January 09, 2014, 01:19:20 PM
HA

Despite my asshattery , I think I am going to try another RPS recommendation.  Pathologic. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pathologic ). Anyone try this dud round out yet?

you could have your very own ass hat thread, like Star and his uniformed ladies

you could review shite and let us know how you get on
Title: Re: Damn It... I did it again
Post by: GDS_Starfury on January 09, 2014, 05:31:15 PM
theres no asshattery about those threads.  >:(
Title: Re: Damn It... I did it again
Post by: undercovergeek on January 09, 2014, 05:45:24 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 09, 2014, 05:31:15 PM
theres no asshattery about those threads.  >:(

Lol, I know star - I just meant it could have bb's tag on it.... no offence to the ladies
Title: Re: Damn It... I did it again
Post by: bboyer66 on January 09, 2014, 06:39:11 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on January 09, 2014, 03:21:58 PM
Quote from: bboyer66 on January 09, 2014, 01:19:20 PM
HA

Despite my asshattery , I think I am going to try another RPS recommendation.  Pathologic. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pathologic ). Anyone try this dud round out yet?

you could have your very own ass hat thread, like Star and his uniformed ladies

you could review shite and let us know how you get on

I really dont mind a good point and click adventure game. Some of the great games of all time like the Monkey Island Series and Grim Fandango were point and clicks. The problem I think is that these recent titles like The Stanley Parable and Gone Home are not nearly as memorable, and highly overrated. The only saving grace is that these games only take a few hours to play, so you don't feel totally cheated.
Title: Re: Damn It... I did it again
Post by: Apocalypse 31 on January 09, 2014, 07:55:13 PM
The only thing I still read on RPS is the Flare Path, and that has slowly become nothing more than a horrible review of the latest Train, Farming, or Truck simulator. At first I thought it was a joke, but the lame simulator thing has become near 80% of the content,
Title: Re: Damn It... I did it again
Post by: Gusington on January 09, 2014, 08:13:13 PM
If these games were longer it would be better? More suckdom?
Title: Re: Damn It... I did it again
Post by: bboyer66 on January 09, 2014, 09:19:11 PM
Quote from: Gusington on January 09, 2014, 08:13:13 PM
If these games were longer it would be better? More suckdom?

No, thats why you don't feel cheated. Its only a little bit of your life that you won't get back
Title: Re: Damn It... I did it again
Post by: Gusington on January 09, 2014, 09:41:37 PM
You are a an enigma wrapped in a delicious cheesesteak, Boyer.
Title: Re: Damn It... I did it again
Post by: GDS_Starfury on January 09, 2014, 09:54:51 PM
run Boyer!  run now!
Title: Re: Damn It... I did it again
Post by: Nefaro on January 09, 2014, 10:15:10 PM
Quote from: Gusington on January 09, 2014, 09:41:37 PM
You are a an enigma wrapped in a delicious cheesesteak, Boyer.



(https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/216597248/h24A8E022/)
Title: Re: Damn It... I did it again
Post by: Staggerwing on January 09, 2014, 10:21:31 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 09, 2014, 10:15:10 PM
Quote from: Gusington on January 09, 2014, 09:41:37 PM
You are a an enigma wrapped in a delicious cheesesteak, Boyer.



(https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/216597248/h24A8E022/)

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi109.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fn80%2Fbununs%2Fkeanu-reeves-whoa.jpg&hash=63cd3d32aca2d74dbbea031384086828f6d08dd4)