Found this while I was waiting for my coffee at Starbucks this morning. I couldn't have asked for more in a DW expansion.
http://www.spacesector.com/blog/2014/01/distant-worlds-universe-more-modding-and-wrap-up-pack/ (http://www.spacesector.com/blog/2014/01/distant-worlds-universe-more-modding-and-wrap-up-pack/)
From this preview and the limited prior information that Matrix have released on Universe I find my self less than excited and likely to skip this release even though I've bought everything upto and including Shadows so far.
I'm not a modder so the major part of the expansion is of no use to me, the new storyline and techs may be a bit more of interest but as a non-modder it is not going to have the content to be worth anything like the price that has been the norm for the previous expansions.
Also a bit concerned with Universe apparently being standalone and effectively the Game of the Year / Gold edition of Distant Worlds any subsequent mods or releases for DW are going to require it and if you only have up to Shadows then your out of luck.
Hope I'm wrong in my assumptions or if I'm right I hope there is a heavy discount for those that own all the previous expansions.
wolf1759...my feelings exactly. I love this game and also have all the expansions. But unless there is something more than a 'gold' edition with better modding features and some more techs, I'm not interested. I'm hoping there is much, much more to it than this and I suspect that there is.
Hmm. I'm interested, but I'm not actually titillated at this point.
Sounds like owners of the original game + expansions will get a price break on Universe. Depending on just how much of a price break, I'll probably still get this in the end.
Universe sounds more like a repackaging than a enhancement. I have no problem with this as I am completely content with what I have so far.
Quote from: Rekim on January 14, 2014, 04:24:32 PM
Universe sounds more like a repackaging than a enhancement. I have no problem with this as I am completely content with what I have so far.
As long as you continue to get updates, right?
I mean.. surely it's not an "Admiral's Edition" that you have to buy to get any further updates.
Pretty sure I've put more than $100 into DW and I've not even played it that much yet.
Hi Wolfe, et. al.,
I think you're mistaken on your assumption - I think the mods that Universe will unleash will benefit everyone, whether they are modders themselves or not. You can also be assured that general improvements to DW in many areas have been part of Universe development, as with all previous releases.
Universe has easily had as much new work as every previous expansion except Shadows.
Regards,
- Erik
Was just about to copy and past Erik's response from over at the Matrix forum - he beat me to it :)
Looking forward to hearing more as the release gets nearer.
Erik,
Any chance you guys will be adding the option to spawn all stars in a galaxy with a hyper deny field on it?