GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Jarhead0331 on January 22, 2014, 03:00:16 PM

Title: Bizarre Steam Glitch
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 22, 2014, 03:00:16 PM
So this morning when I loaded steam, I got messages that Dangerous Waters and T72: Iron Warriors were updated. Only problem is, I don't have Dangerous Waters or T72 installed, or even in my steam library. I tried running them, but I got a fail to launch error due to missing .exe. Moreover, when I looked at the library pages, I noticed dangerous waters was showing up as Space Empires IV Deluxe and Iron Warriors looked like Space Empires V, both games in my steam library and installed. Problem is, now SE IV an V are missing from my library and neither DW nor IW will run as SE IV or V.  WTF?
Title: Re: Bizarre Steam Glitch
Post by: Kushan on January 22, 2014, 03:20:01 PM
This might help

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=35278535&postcount=20 (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=35278535&postcount=20)

Quote
NOTE: If you have multiple installation folders for games completing this process will remove them.

Perform the following steps to add extra installation folders in your Steam client:

1. Open Steam
2. Click Steam > Settings (Preferences on Mac)
3. Navigate to the 'Downloads' tab
4. Click the 'Steam Library Folders' button
5. Click on 'Add Library Folder' and add the directory that contains your games
6. Click 'OK'
7. Restart Steam
Title: Re: Bizarre Steam Glitch
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 22, 2014, 03:39:08 PM
^Wow. That boot strapper seemed to work. Amazeballs. Thanks, bro. 
Title: Re: Bizarre Steam Glitch
Post by: Nefaro on January 22, 2014, 05:29:05 PM
Good 'ole Steam.

Expect their client updates to break stuff.  I tend to cringe when I see every new one downloading and wonder whether some of my settings will be wiped.
Title: Re: Bizarre Steam Glitch
Post by: Gusington on January 22, 2014, 08:06:08 PM
The last couple of updates wreaked havoc with my Steam installation.
Title: Re: Bizarre Steam Glitch
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 22, 2014, 08:09:57 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 22, 2014, 05:29:05 PM
Good 'ole Steam.

Expect their client updates to break stuff.  I tend to cringe when I see every new one downloading and wonder whether some of my settings will be wiped.

I guess I'm lucky. I'm a prolific user of steam and this is the first technical glitch I've ever experienced.
Title: Re: Bizarre Steam Glitch
Post by: Toonces on January 22, 2014, 08:24:16 PM
Heh.  And I was about to ask you your thoughts on T72.  I almost picked that up when it was on sale for like $3 but for some reason I didn't.  I kind of wish I had, now.
Title: Re: Bizarre Steam Glitch
Post by: Kushan on January 22, 2014, 08:32:59 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 22, 2014, 08:09:57 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 22, 2014, 05:29:05 PM
Good 'ole Steam.

Expect their client updates to break stuff.  I tend to cringe when I see every new one downloading and wonder whether some of my settings will be wiped.

I guess I'm lucky. I'm a prolific user of steam and this is the first technical glitch I've ever experienced.

I've never had an issue with a Steam update as well.
Title: Re: Bizarre Steam Glitch
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 22, 2014, 09:30:29 PM
Quote from: Toonces on January 22, 2014, 08:24:16 PM
Heh.  And I was about to ask you your thoughts on T72.  I almost picked that up when it was on sale for like $3 but for some reason I didn't.  I kind of wish I had, now.

You have SBProPE. Zero reason to even look at T72. It is sub-par.
Title: Re: Bizarre Steam Glitch
Post by: Apocalypse 31 on January 23, 2014, 12:00:45 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 22, 2014, 09:30:29 PM
Quote from: Toonces on January 22, 2014, 08:24:16 PM
Heh.  And I was about to ask you your thoughts on T72.  I almost picked that up when it was on sale for like $3 but for some reason I didn't.  I kind of wish I had, now.

You have SBProPE. Zero reason to even look at T72. It is sub-par.

This

And a typical Russian game: horrible UI, poor tutorial, and bad key mapping.
Title: Re: Bizarre Steam Glitch
Post by: Nefaro on January 23, 2014, 09:21:26 PM
Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on January 23, 2014, 12:00:45 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 22, 2014, 09:30:29 PM
Quote from: Toonces on January 22, 2014, 08:24:16 PM
Heh.  And I was about to ask you your thoughts on T72.  I almost picked that up when it was on sale for like $3 but for some reason I didn't.  I kind of wish I had, now.

You have SBProPE. Zero reason to even look at T72. It is sub-par.

This

And a typical Russian game: horrible UI, poor tutorial, and bad key mapping.


.... and very little post-release support??   

(Wasn't it from 1C?)
Title: Re: Bizarre Steam Glitch
Post by: Toonces on January 23, 2014, 10:43:53 PM
I think I read some reviews of T-72- I know I did at least some research, Youtube videos and such- and I think it left such a poor impression that I decided even for $3 it was a waste of money.

However, I did boot up SB Pro tonight and spent some time with it.  I've been making a more detailed study of the game this time around and I think some of it is starting to click.

I haven't upgraded to 3.0 yet, but if I find myself sucked in I may just go ahead an upgrade.  I was sort of saving that money for WOFF, and I think I need to choose one or the other.  I guess it comes down to whether I plan to go online or not, because I've barely explored any of the content existing for SB Pro 2.6x so I don't know that there's a rush to go an upgrade with so much to still do with my current version.