GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: solops on January 23, 2014, 06:33:29 PM

Title: Making History II Patch
Post by: solops on January 23, 2014, 06:33:29 PM
Making History II just got a big patch. Is the game any good? Anyone play it? Does the new patch make it shine?
Title: Re: Making History II Patch
Post by: solops on January 24, 2014, 08:48:04 AM
Come on...no one plays this? It must be a dog...too bad. I thought I saw Jarhead's name over on the developer's forums.
Title: Re: Making History II Patch
Post by: bbmike on January 24, 2014, 09:02:12 AM
I have it but haven't played it in ages. I remember it being fun but not having much of an idea of what I was doing. I need to try it again. The developer is getting ready to release a WWI version of the game as well.
Title: Re: Making History II Patch
Post by: Sir Slash on January 24, 2014, 09:03:37 AM
Sorry. Don't know anything about it but we're always looking for something good.
Title: Re: Making History II Patch
Post by: Nefaro on January 24, 2014, 12:19:39 PM
Quote from: solops on January 24, 2014, 08:48:04 AM
Come on...no one plays this? It must be a dog...too bad. I thought I saw Jarhead's name over on the developer's forums.

I haven't played it in a long time.   This is mostly due to my late aversion to most things WW2.  I didn't realize they were still updating it, either.

As for the system, I thought it was quite nice especially since it's a turn-based grand strategy one.  I also liked many of the additions to #2 over the first.  However, I recall some of the AI stuff still being mediocre for quite some time after it's release.  They were patching it a lot and consensus was that it had been getting steadily better.  IIRC, the last couple complaints were mostly about some specific cases where the AI had trouble mounting a cohesive attack (probably the usual amphibious problems inherent in nearly all grand strategy games) and it's tendency to create a massive doomstack in a single province and leave others wide open to invasion.  I seem to recall the last issue being addressed or mentioned in an update but having not played in a long time I don't recall how it turned out.

If you like turn-based grand strategy games then it's well worth checking out at reasonable price.  Especially if they've still been updating it.  Being turn-based, you didn't have to worry about jockeying the damn pause button while events spiral out of control all at once, demanding immediate micro-management, as so often happens in real-time games like the HOI series. 
Title: Re: Making History II Patch
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 24, 2014, 02:23:43 PM
Quote from: solops on January 24, 2014, 08:48:04 AM
Come on...no one plays this? It must be a dog...too bad. I thought I saw Jarhead's name over on the developer's forums.

I'm trying to get a code to add the game to my steam library and so far the developer has been non-responsive in their official forum.  I was a day one purchaser. Its a good game, although a bit difficult to get into.  There were a lot of bugs on release, but I know the developer is diligent in trying to correct them.
Title: Re: Making History II Patch
Post by: ArizonaTank on January 24, 2014, 02:52:52 PM
The game as released was quirky and buggy.  But the devs stuck with it and really made it into a pretty good game in the end.  Medium complexity, easy to play, turn based, unscripted AI.  Better than Time of Fury or Strategic Command IMHO.  But doesn't take the commitment of any of the Hearts of Iron games. 

I did a review for ACG at:

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/making-history-ii-the-war-of-the-world-pc-game-review.htm

Interesting that a patch is coming out now.  Is an expansion in the works?
Title: Re: Making History II Patch
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 24, 2014, 03:35:31 PM
Quote from: ArizonaTank on January 24, 2014, 02:52:52 PM
Is an expansion in the works?

Not an expansion...a new game.  WWI.
Title: Re: Making History II Patch
Post by: Nefaro on January 24, 2014, 03:56:15 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 24, 2014, 03:35:31 PM
Quote from: ArizonaTank on January 24, 2014, 02:52:52 PM
Is an expansion in the works?

Not an expansion...a new game.  WWI.

Ohhh.. that's right!  I had forgotten. 

  8)
Title: Re: Making History II Patch
Post by: solops on January 26, 2014, 08:17:29 PM
I just downloaded MH2 and I am having a whole lot of fun! I miss my NATO counters and it is WAY too early to know if the AI is up to snuff (or even close). And the system for adding user made scenarios seems really opaque. I would appreciate an explanation that is more than just cursory. But, like all too many games, I will have fun at least until I learn the system, and maybe even beyond that point.
Title: Re: Making History II Patch
Post by: Ian C on January 27, 2014, 10:26:17 AM
In a nutshell:

Making History II "is like Axis & Allies on steroids". It's a turn based (weekly) grand strategy WEGO game that can be played verses the AI or via a browser online (for free) (http://making-history.com/games/1). Online games can be open or private.

It includes several scenarios (1933, 1936, 1939, D-Day) and a full scenario editor.

The tech tree is somewhat like Civilization with techs that affect unit upgrades, building new units and food production.
Techs range from around the 1920's up to the late 1950's so there is a wide range of scenario possibilities.


Demo (50 turns of 1933) scenario here: http://download.making-history.com/MakingHistoryInstaller.exe

Manual: http://making-history.com/files/MHII-GameGuide.pdf

Other demo version (Mac / languages) http://making-history.com/support


Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 24, 2014, 02:23:43 PM

I'm trying to get a code to add the game to my steam library and so far the developer has been non-responsive in their official forum.

Try sending a mail to techsupport@muzzylane.com.


Update release notes:

http://making-history.com/forum/thread/486883/1#486884





Title: Re: Making History II Patch
Post by: Tuna on January 27, 2014, 04:29:55 PM
Quote from: IanC on January 27, 2014, 10:26:17 AM
In a nutshell:

Making History II "is like Axis & Allies on steroids". It's a turn based (weekly) grand strategy WEGO game that can be played verses the AI or via a browser online (for free) (http://making-history.com/games/1). Online games can be open or private.

It includes several scenarios (1933, 1936, 1939, D-Day) and a full scenario editor.

The tech tree is somewhat like Civilization with techs that affect unit upgrades, building new units and food production.
Techs range from around the 1920's up to the late 1950's so there is a wide range of scenario possibilities.


Demo (50 turns of 1933) scenario here: http://download.making-history.com/MakingHistoryInstaller.exe

Manual: http://making-history.com/files/MHII-GameGuide.pdf

Other demo version (Mac / languages) http://making-history.com/support


Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 24, 2014, 02:23:43 PM

I'm trying to get a code to add the game to my steam library and so far the developer has been non-responsive in their official forum.

Try sending a mail to techsupport@muzzylane.com.


Update release notes:

http://making-history.com/forum/thread/486883/1#486884

I should try and get into this again.. by that description I should LOVE this game  :P
Title: Re: Making History II Patch
Post by: bbmike on January 27, 2014, 04:56:03 PM
Every time I try playing I get overwhelmed. There's so many regions and stuff to build and I don't know where to begin. I feel like I did when I started playing Europa Universalis!
Title: Re: Making History II Patch
Post by: WallysWorld on January 27, 2014, 04:56:28 PM
I've had MH and MH II since each was released and I like both games. I find it easier to play than HOI3. But I haven't played MH II for quite a while so I'll have to try to get into it again after this latest patch.
Title: Re: Making History II Patch
Post by: Nefaro on January 27, 2014, 10:51:37 PM
I kinda enjoyed fiddling with the economic side of things in MHII.   :)  Building improvements and such starting in the earliest scenario.