GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: spelk on January 27, 2014, 07:34:29 AM

Title: Matrix Sale - Achtung Panzer & Panzer Command Ostfront
Post by: spelk on January 27, 2014, 07:34:29 AM
Eastern Front tactical games Achtung Panzer and Panzer Command Ostfront are both half price over at Matrix.

http://matrixgames.com/news/1337/Deal.of.the.Week.-.Half.Price.for.two.Eastern.Front.games

Download versions go from $ 29.99 to $ 14.99 and boxed copies from $ 39.99 to $ 24.99.
Title: Re: Matrix Sale - Achtung Panzer & Panzer Command Ostfront
Post by: hamrock on January 27, 2014, 10:53:14 AM
Achtung Panzer is a top game.
Title: Re: Matrix Sale - Achtung Panzer & Panzer Command Ostfront
Post by: Dolan50 on January 27, 2014, 12:44:58 PM
I don't recommend buying Achtung Panzer Operation Star from Matrix.
Matrix sells the old version and doesn't support the game.
Unless you want problems with the game steer clear from Matrixs' version.

Gamersgate is the preferred seller of APOS/GTOS by Graviteam,and Gamersgate usually runs a sale on this game every 3 months.

Gamersgate has the latest version of the game and DLCs and patch and engine updates.
Matrix does none of this so do not waste your time bothering with this game from Matrix.
You can probably get the game cheaper at full price at Gamersgate than you could at sale price from Matrix too.

Title: Re: Matrix Sale - Achtung Panzer & Panzer Command Ostfront
Post by: SgtRock on January 27, 2014, 05:11:06 PM
Quote from: Dolan50 on January 27, 2014, 12:44:58 PM
I don't recommend buying Achtung Panzer Operation Star from Matrix.
Matrix sells the old version and doesn't support the game.
Unless you want problems with the game steer clear from Matrixs' version.

Gamersgate is the preferred seller of APOS/GTOS by Graviteam,and Gamersgate usually runs a sale on this game every 3 months.

Gamersgate has the latest version of the game and DLCs and patch and engine updates.
Matrix does none of this so do not waste your time bothering with this game from Matrix.
You can probably get the game cheaper at full price at Gamersgate than you could at sale price from Matrix too.

You can't get patches for the Matrix version? Sounds like Matrix really dropped the ball on this one.

Title: Re: Matrix Sale - Achtung Panzer & Panzer Command Ostfront
Post by: JasonPratt on January 27, 2014, 05:49:29 PM
Well, at least Ostfront is still worth picking up from Matrix. :)
Title: Re: Matrix Sale - Achtung Panzer & Panzer Command Ostfront
Post by: Faffi2429 on January 27, 2014, 06:45:43 PM
Actually the regular price for APOS at Gamersgate is more than the Matrix regular price....and there's nothing to prevent updating the game, instructions are in this forum post:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3509493

So....?
Title: Re: Matrix Sale - Achtung Panzer & Panzer Command Ostfront
Post by: WallysWorld on January 27, 2014, 06:51:43 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on January 27, 2014, 05:49:29 PM
Well, at least Ostfront is still worth picking up from Matrix. :)

Ostfront is pretty good as I really like the variety of units and scenarios that came with the game. The graphics are somewhat primitive by today's standard and in large battles my i7-920@4Ghz gets bogged down a bit to about 15 fps. The graphics remind me of the original CM games.

Definitely try out the demo as I did and I liked it so much, I bought the game.
Title: Re: Matrix Sale - Achtung Panzer & Panzer Command Ostfront
Post by: Grim.Reaper on January 27, 2014, 06:55:02 PM
Quote from: Faffi2429 on January 27, 2014, 06:45:43 PM
Actually the regular price for APOS at Gamersgate is more than the Matrix regular price....and there's nothing to prevent updating the game, instructions are in this forum post:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3509493

So....?

Except.....gamersgate always has sales....I picked up APOS for $13 from there.
Title: Re: Matrix Sale - Achtung Panzer & Panzer Command Ostfront
Post by: Dolan50 on January 27, 2014, 07:00:51 PM
Quote from: Faffi2429 on January 27, 2014, 06:45:43 PM
Actually the regular price for APOS at Gamersgate is more than the Matrix regular price....and there's nothing to prevent updating the game, instructions are in this forum post:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3509493

So....?

You can go that route if you like....
Matrix doesn't support this game and Graviteam prefers their customers to go thru Gamersgate for latest versions and updates.

Matrix didn't get exclusive rights to APOS/GTOS and they don't sell anything but the old version of the core game.
If you want to update the game to the current versions and purchase the DLCs you will still have to go thru Gamersgate.

Gamersgate puts this game on sale regularly and offers all the current updates free along with all current versions of the DLCs there.

But no ones stopping you from purchasing from Matrix if you so desire....
Title: Re: Matrix Sale - Achtung Panzer & Panzer Command Ostfront
Post by: ComradeP on January 28, 2014, 01:50:59 AM
Aside from the performance issues that have already been mentioned, I can recommend Panzer Command: Ostfront.
Title: Re: Matrix Sale - Achtung Panzer & Panzer Command Ostfront
Post by: sandman2575 on January 28, 2014, 12:16:34 PM
Wouldn't want to deter anyone from getting Panzer Command Ostfront -- it does have a lot to offer -- but the contrast highlighted by this sale is kind of interesting.  Frankly, I find it very hard to go back to Panzer Command after becoming hooked on Achtung Panzer, which seems like a quantum leap in fluidity of gameplay, graphics, and overall concept. Achtung Panzer feels like the game Ostfront is striving to be.

That said, I've spent many fun hours with Ostfront. 
Title: Re: Matrix Sale - Achtung Panzer & Panzer Command Ostfront
Post by: SgtRock on January 28, 2014, 12:29:25 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on January 27, 2014, 05:49:29 PM
Well, at least Ostfront is still worth picking up from Matrix. :)


I own Ostfront, my main issue with it, is the two-phase (move or shot) system, just doesn't feel right.


Title: Re: Matrix Sale - Achtung Panzer & Panzer Command Ostfront
Post by: Mad Russian on January 28, 2014, 06:11:10 PM
Thanks for all the nice words about Panzer Command Ostfront. I have a vested interest in that game since I helped develop it. I wished we would have been allowed to go further.

The two phases can be modified however you like. I hated them when I first started playing the game as well, but then I looked at it as having the ability to get my units out of trouble, if I needed to, half way through an execution phase. After that I liked it.

The graphics were kept low res on purpose to allow older machines to play.

What we were targeting Ostfront to become was nothing like Achtung Panzer. If we had been allowed to fix the rest of the issues "WE" had with the game it would be viewed completely differently today. I believe that the scenario and the variety of units in the game are it's strong points.

If you get the game I hope it plays well for you. I wish many hours of intense gaming for you.

Good Hunting.

MR
Title: Re: Matrix Sale - Achtung Panzer & Panzer Command Ostfront
Post by: SgtRock on January 29, 2014, 12:50:22 PM
QuoteThe two phases can be modified however you like

Please explain.
Title: Re: Matrix Sale - Achtung Panzer & Panzer Command Ostfront
Post by: Mad Russian on January 30, 2014, 02:34:36 AM
PCO has several different phase cycles. They can be set at any of them. At least one of those cycles is a single phase. I believe there  are two options for a single cycle of different lengths. It's been a long time since I played the game so I'd have to go back and check to be 100 % certain. I know there was a single phase cycle of at least one duration.

Good Hunting.

MR