GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Greybriar on January 28, 2014, 12:11:33 PM

Title: Limited Time Specials on GOG.com
Post by: Greybriar on January 28, 2014, 12:11:33 PM
Keep an eye on GOG.com as they are running a limited-time DRM-FREE TIME MACHINE SALE (http://www.gog.com/).

I've already picked up the Zork Anthology for $1.79 and King's Quest 1+2+3 for $2.99 U.S.

The specials don't last long so it's necessary to check GOG's website frequently.
Title: Re: Limited Time Specials on GOG.com
Post by: Shelldrake on January 28, 2014, 01:56:56 PM
Seems to be counting up in date - currently at 1986.
Title: Re: Limited Time Specials on GOG.com
Post by: Staggerwing on January 28, 2014, 08:34:37 PM
What's with the adding and subtracting seconds to the particular offer's timer? Is it tied into what folks are buying?
Title: Re: Limited Time Specials on GOG.com
Post by: Greybriar on January 28, 2014, 09:53:14 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on January 28, 2014, 08:34:37 PM
What's with the adding and subtracting seconds to the particular offer's timer? Is it tied into what folks are buying?

According to this (http://www.gog.com/news/drmfree_time_machine_sale): "....Each game in the sale is offered for a limited time only, and how long we stay in its year is up to you! Each time you see a new game on sale you can vote to either add or subtract 1 second from the timer. Each time you buy a game, you add 3 seconds to the time of it being on sale...."
Title: Re: Limited Time Specials on GOG.com
Post by: Staggerwing on January 28, 2014, 09:55:20 PM
Ah. Click the little arrows up or down. Wait a bit, then click again, rinse and repeat to hurry up and get to the next sale.  :D
Title: Re: Limited Time Specials on GOG.com
Post by: Mr. Bigglesworth on January 30, 2014, 02:47:00 AM
Going down the list they have all the Ultimas running on current windows. Alone in the Dark 1,2,3 I always wanted to play, tried the demo of one which was quite fun back then.

Lots of good stuff in there. Thanks for bringing up GOG!
Title: Re: Limited Time Specials on GOG.com
Post by: Mr. Bigglesworth on January 30, 2014, 03:24:27 AM
http://www.gog.com/game/great_battles_collectors_edition (http://www.gog.com/game/great_battles_collectors_edition)

Hard to argue with those reviews.
Title: Re: Limited Time Specials on GOG.com
Post by: Nefaro on January 30, 2014, 07:53:10 AM
Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on January 30, 2014, 03:24:27 AM
http://www.gog.com/game/great_battles_collectors_edition (http://www.gog.com/game/great_battles_collectors_edition)

Hard to argue with those reviews.

One of my favorite PC wargames. 

I recall having one of the tabletop versions of the system long ago but didn't play it much at the time.  It was probably my young hedonistic days, so it was more my priorities than any fault of the game system.  This computer version made things a helluva lot easier to play, of course.

I think there are one or two oddities on modern OSes but they still play okay.  For instance, you have to scroll the map around to find your next active general after you're finished giving the current one's orders.  The program used to snap the camera view directly to him but now it doesn't on newer versions of Windows.  The active general's flag bobs up and down and the maps aren't terribly large so it's not too bad.

IIRC, there was also another little extra pop-up window that didn't work too well.  Dunno if that was ironed out or just plain disabled (probably the latter) in the GOG version, but I don't think it was all that important anyway.

A fun turn- and phase-based tactical wargame in the ancient period, it's also not as rules heavy as some.
Title: Re: Limited Time Specials on GOG.com
Post by: Shelldrake on January 30, 2014, 10:06:52 AM
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition is currently going for $2. Can't argue with that price!
Title: Re: Limited Time Specials on GOG.com
Post by: Shelldrake on January 30, 2014, 09:59:30 PM
Just picked up Amnesia on the recommendation of my lab tech - said it was so scarey that he had to stop playing!
Title: Re: Limited Time Specials on GOG.com
Post by: Toonces on January 30, 2014, 11:29:39 PM
Amnesia is excellent.  I never got to the really scary parts, but what I played was pretty good.
Title: Re: Limited Time Specials on GOG.com
Post by: -budd- on January 31, 2014, 01:04:49 AM
Quote from: Shelldrake on January 30, 2014, 09:59:30 PM
Just picked up Amnesia on the recommendation of my lab tech - said it was so scarey that he had to stop playing!

I enjoyed Amnesia, creepy atmosphere and no way to fight back......get used to hiding ;) ......For Godsakes stay out of the water, you'll no what i mean when you get there...enjoy.
Title: Re: Limited Time Specials on GOG.com
Post by: Greybriar on January 31, 2014, 05:20:31 AM
I got off light since I already owned many of the games offered during GOG's DRM-Free Time Machine Sale. I bought:
The Zork Anthology for $1.79
King's Quest 1+2+3 for $2.99
Space Quest 1+2+3 for $2.99
Police Quest 1+2+3+4 for $2.99
Serious Sam: The First Encounter for $0.59 (the bargain hunter in me couldn't pass up the 59-cent price tag  ;))

So how did the rest of you fare?
Title: Re: Limited Time Specials on GOG.com
Post by: bbmike on January 31, 2014, 08:28:08 AM
Quote from: Greybriar on January 31, 2014, 05:20:31 AM
I got off light since I already owned many of the games offered during GOG's DRM-Free Time Machine Sale. I bought:
The Zork Anthology for $1.79
King's Quest 1+2+3 for $2.99
Space Quest 1+2+3 for $2.99
Police Quest 1+2+3+4 for $2.99
Serious Sam: The First Encounter for $0.59 (the bargain hunter in me couldn't pass up the 59-cent price tag  ;))

So how did the rest of you fare?

Yeah, but now they're having Wargaming Weekend (http://www.gog.com/promo/1c_gsc_nival_1c_online_weekend_promo_310114)! How will we fare now?
Title: Re: Limited Time Specials on GOG.com
Post by: Greybriar on January 31, 2014, 09:14:35 AM
Quote from: bbmike on January 31, 2014, 08:28:08 AM
Yeah, but now they're having Wargaming Weekend (http://www.gog.com/promo/1c_gsc_nival_1c_online_weekend_promo_310114)! How will we fare now?

I am missing four of those titles and might buy Star Wolves (http://www.gog.com/game/star_wolves) and Perimeter (http://www.gog.com/game/perimeter) for $1.79 each. But I don't really have the time to play them.
Title: Re: Limited Time Specials on GOG.com
Post by: Mr. Bigglesworth on January 31, 2014, 02:33:34 PM
(https://ci3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/FT-kzJ7phL7QHA3cr7ANN1aP42Qbp3PBWt5ObneSS5dPQQg8hYphRzwq5qhLu-sMl1yJF38hBPsVDbQLNXIGlk9dkT8sLVF-8uP9uTgy4S-B5fJ_PGRGiQ9fLzesnu4K1ygjcb4-KP6o_hxWbDfNLOzktIF10gHwMdVt-ytF5petEjIcMlY=s0-d-e1-ft#http://static.gog.com/upload/newsletters/1c_gsc_snowbird_nival_1c_online_weekend_promo_310114/en/img/1gsn_05.jpg)


AARRRGGG! I bought Fantasy Wars and Cossacks Yesterday for $9.99 + 5.99. They are still worth it so I will shut up now.