GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Keunert on March 30, 2012, 03:15:44 PM

Title: World of Tanks
Post by: Keunert on March 30, 2012, 03:15:44 PM
the best part in my humble opinion: standing with my Pz 38t between KV and JS and Kingtigers and greet them with:
'I AM THE GOD OF HELLFIRE!'
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: LongBlade on March 30, 2012, 03:22:35 PM
Nice. I hope they fled in terror.
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: Keunert on March 30, 2012, 04:09:48 PM
it's more about impressing the big posers on my own team.
you know what they say about big tanks and penis size?
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: bob48 on March 30, 2012, 04:16:17 PM
OK, I keep going to the web site and wondering if or not I should give it a bash. How good is it guys?
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: Keunert on March 30, 2012, 04:17:15 PM
on a scale of 1 to 100 it is a q or r
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: bob48 on March 30, 2012, 04:19:51 PM
Quote from: Keunert on March 30, 2012, 04:09:48 PM
it's more about impressing the big posers on my own team.
you know what they say about big tanks and penis size?

Hmm, so I go for a King Tiger or JS152 then ;D
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: LongBlade on March 30, 2012, 04:53:35 PM
Quote from: bob48 on March 30, 2012, 04:16:17 PM
OK, I keep going to the web site and wondering if or not I should give it a bash. How good is it guys?

@ Keunert - LOL.

Bob, it's great.

Although it's "free to play" it's better called "freemium." Meaning you can pay money to get extras and move up faster.

Don't expect a hard-core tank sim. It's more like an FPS with tanks. In a good way. I would highly recommend giving it a go then coming back tomorrow and asking questions.

I played the heck out of it, albeit with a press account. So I'm not well versed on which upgrades to take next. I had effectively infinite gold and XP so I just built whatever tank I wanted and rolled around in it. I can give some tips on general gameplay. Just don't ask me which chassis is better for X tank.
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: bob48 on March 30, 2012, 04:58:58 PM
Thanks LB, I may well try getting it downloaded in time for the Easter Holidays and have a pootle around.

(Thinks - is pootle appropriate for tanks?..... Nah!)
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: LongBlade on March 30, 2012, 05:02:56 PM
Quote from: bob48 on March 30, 2012, 04:58:58 PM
Thanks LB, I may well try getting it downloaded in time for the Easter Holidays and have a pootle around.

(Thinks - is pootle appropriate for tanks?..... Nah!)

By all means - when you have a IS-7 you can pootle wherever you desire.
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: bob48 on March 30, 2012, 05:03:54 PM
LOL
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: Keunert on March 31, 2012, 08:27:13 AM
it is addictive and fun. even though i never am the last tank driving
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: Nefaro on March 31, 2012, 03:32:36 PM
I'm convinced that I killed the Matchmaker's family in a past life.  >:(
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: Keunert on March 31, 2012, 03:38:41 PM
you're driving a pz 35t too?
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: Steelgrave on March 31, 2012, 05:22:32 PM
I played the heck out of it for six months or so, wrote the first published review of it, and loved it up to the point to where suddenly.....I didn't. Have to say that I'm thinking of firing it up again though. It's weird to say that you miss a game....but I kinda miss it, lol!
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: Staggerwing on March 31, 2012, 05:51:16 PM
Quote from: Keunert on March 30, 2012, 03:15:44 PM
the best part in my humble opinion: standing with my Pz 38t between KV and JS and Kingtigers and greet them with:
'I AM THE GOD OF HELLFIRE!'

...And I'll take you to burn! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOErZuzZpS8)

(Sorry, couldn't resist ;D)
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: Greybriar on September 21, 2012, 09:29:13 PM
World of Tanks is having a Peace Weekend Special (http://worldoftanks.com/news/1615-21-24-september-peace-weekend/) from 04:30 PDT (11:30 UTC) on September 21, 2012 and lasting until 04:00 PDT on September 24, 2012 (11:00 UTC).

Of all the offers, what I am interested in most is the 50% off the price of equipment. There is also 50% off the price of:
And some other stuff.

Enjoy!
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: FlickJax on September 25, 2012, 06:30:29 AM
With the impending release of 8.0 and new Physics; i'm excited to see the new graphics but also hoping that the new physics doesn't make it too arcadie...
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: Tpek on September 25, 2012, 06:52:11 AM
Have they finally fixed the boringness of the game by implementing the most important feaures requested, i.e bots, realistic-sided battles, commander position, infantry (and other non-tanks), etc...
???
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: LongBlade on September 25, 2012, 07:20:22 AM
Quote from: Tpek on September 25, 2012, 06:52:11 AM
Have they finally fixed the boringness of the game by implementing the most important feaures requested, i.e bots, realistic-sided battles, commander position, infantry (and other non-tanks), etc...
???

I wouldn't count on it.

They launched that game as a kind of FPS with a tank overlay and it's been wildly successful. No reason to think they'd change the formula now.
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: Nefaro on September 25, 2012, 06:31:48 PM
I'm looking forward to World of Warplanes, and primarily World of Warships (is that the name?). 

I just don't have the shooter itch much anymore.. even for a slower paced one like WOT.
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: Deadskin on September 25, 2012, 07:26:35 PM
if you are interested in World of Warplanes I recommend War Thunder it is by far the better of the 2.  http://warthunder.com/en/ (http://warthunder.com/en/)
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: Nefaro on September 25, 2012, 08:06:13 PM
Quote from: Deadskin on September 25, 2012, 07:26:35 PM
if you are interested in World of Warplanes I recommend War Thunder it is by far the better of the 2.  http://warthunder.com/en/ (http://warthunder.com/en/)

Ahhh cool.  Hadn't seen that one.

Thanks.

Not even sure how much I'll get into the warplane ones.  Just hoping the warship one will be decent.
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: FlickJax on September 28, 2012, 03:18:13 AM
Version 0.8.0 really improves the game, sounds and physics make it feel more like tanks in my opinion and graphics now very pretty.
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: Windigo on September 28, 2012, 04:37:57 PM
the sound FX are much more realistic. My matilda's 76mm now sounds less imposing than the 120 mm on one of my heavy tanks
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: GDS_Starfury on September 29, 2012, 02:11:26 AM
since 8.0 Windys blackend finger smells funny.
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: GDS_Starfury on October 01, 2012, 12:40:44 PM
8.0 is probably one of the best patches theyve released for the game.
Im just a bit pissed they took my Pz-4s L70 away from me!
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: GDS_Starfury on October 01, 2012, 03:36:11 PM
all of the maps have recieved some great tweeks to the layout.
much more space is now accessible and the old avenues of attack have been changed.
great job there.
Im also getting a 40% increase in framerates with higher graphic settings.
and the crack of my 88's sounds like a frikin 88!
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: steve58 on October 01, 2012, 03:46:27 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on September 25, 2012, 06:31:48 PM
I'm looking forward to World of Warplanes, and primarily World of Warships (is that the name?). 

I just don't have the shooter itch much anymore.. even for a slower paced one like WOT.

Dang, how did I miss an announcement of World of Warships.
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: republic on November 05, 2012, 10:47:56 AM
Anyone interested in starting a Grogheads Platoon?  I joined the Wargamer one forever, but no one plays or wants to group up.  It would be nice to have some strategy and cooperation.
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: GDS_Starfury on November 06, 2012, 12:10:57 AM
I would but I dont pay to play with WoT's.
the 8.5 patch has done great things with the maps and the graphic engine BTW.
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: Greybriar on November 22, 2012, 02:43:44 AM
According to this (http://worldoftanks.com/news/1786-tanksgiving-bonus-code/):

"Tankers!

To go along with our Tanksgiving Special (http://worldoftanks.com/news/1781-happy-tanksgiving/) we're continuing in the spirit of sharing with a special bonus code.  The code will grant you one free day of Premium Account time.  A Premium Account grants you 50% more credits and experience earned in every battle, enjoy!

You can redeem the code any time between 21:00 PST on Nov. 21st (05:00 Nov. 22nd UTC) and 20:59 PST Nov. 26th (04:59 Nov. 27th UTC). Curious what time this is in your region?  Use this handy Time Zone Converter to help you out.

Without any further ado, here is your bonus code:
TURKEYDAY

Enter the code using only CAPS. If you need more information on how to activate the promo code, please read these instructions.

Thank you for all of your support, and we hope you have a pleasant holiday!"


Have fun!
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: Windigo on December 17, 2012, 12:01:37 PM
So WoT has gone through several upgrades in the past few months. A limited line of British tanks were introduced and just recently the U.S. got a new line of wanna be french tanks with auto loaders.

I, being a subject of the Queen, dove right into the british line, Comet, Crusader, Cromwell and (happy sigh), the Centurion. Brit medium tanks are manoueverable and quick accelerators and in the 6 and under tiers fast as a greyhound. They are somewhat bouncy and have good sight ranges. The downside is that the guns, though having decent penetration values, are not impressive damage dealers. Their inherent camo ability seems good.

With their low profile turrets, high gun postion, and good verticle gun barrel movement they are the cat's ass in any hull down position..... of course I had to get blown to hell in a handbasket many times before adopting this technique.

My other great moment came when I realized I was really close to getting an IS-7 - argueably the best heavy tank in the game.
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: Greybriar on December 17, 2012, 01:58:55 PM
I think I've had it with World of Tanks. I logged on the other day in my SU-26 to take advantage of a special offer. I killed 7 of the 15 tanks on the opposing team and my team still lost.  :-\
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: Windigo on December 17, 2012, 02:07:36 PM
Quote from: Greybriar on December 17, 2012, 01:58:55 PM
I think I've had it with World of Tanks. I logged on the other day in my SU-26 to take advantage of a special offer. I killed 7 of the 15 tanks on the opposing team and my team still lost.  :-\

I feel your pain.... I think you should avoid playing when the 13 yo kids are playing...  If you are in a clan that uses Team Speak you can platoon with them and reduce the likelyhood of dufus maximus
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: GDS_Starfury on December 17, 2012, 08:38:15 PM
I play it maybe once a week for a round or three.'
Ive stuck solely to the German line and all my tanks are suffering from small nerfs and cold war allied tanks.
Im surprised I havnt run into a Cheiftan Stillbrew, MBT-70 or a T-90 Black Eagle yet.  the one tank I have that
still brings the pain is my Ferd.  I love that thing and its crew are almost done with their 3rd skill set.
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: Windigo on December 17, 2012, 11:03:31 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on December 17, 2012, 08:38:15 PM
I play it maybe once a week for a round or three.'
Ive stuck solely to the German line and all my tanks are suffering from small nerfs and cold war allied tanks.
Im surprised I havnt run into a Cheiftan Stillbrew, MBT-70 or a T-90 Black Eagle yet.  the one tank I have that
still brings the pain is my Ferd.  I love that thing and its crew are almost done with their 3rd skill set.

awesome dedication GPS - you must be really good with it....  I hated my ferd with a true passion that I reserve for neocon preachers that stir up hatred and bigotry... as soon as I got the xp to unlock the JTiger I did... barracked the crew and sold that POS double quick time
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: eyebiter on January 17, 2013, 11:39:03 AM
Chinese tanks are now live with 8.3
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: Steelgrave on January 17, 2013, 12:10:05 PM
^Oh yeah, the vaunted Chinese Tank Armies. I don't recall them in my history books   :P

Seriously, World of Tank's love for machines that never left the drawing board (or produced only a few prototypes) is what soured the game for me.
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: GDS_Starfury on January 22, 2013, 01:14:28 AM
Quote from: Windigo on December 17, 2012, 11:03:31 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on December 17, 2012, 08:38:15 PM
I play it maybe once a week for a round or three.'
Ive stuck solely to the German line and all my tanks are suffering from small nerfs and cold war allied tanks.
Im surprised I havnt run into a Cheiftan Stillbrew, MBT-70 or a T-90 Black Eagle yet.  the one tank I have that
still brings the pain is my Ferd.  I love that thing and its crew are almost done with their 3rd skill set.

awesome dedication GPS - you must be really good with it....  I hated my ferd with a true passion that I reserve for neocon preachers that stir up hatred and bigotry... as soon as I got the xp to unlock the JTiger I did... barracked the crew and sold that POS double quick time

the Ferd is a special beast to fight with.  there is no middle ground.  you either dish the pain or want to throw your keyboard at the wall.
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: Deadskin on January 22, 2013, 06:10:46 AM
I love my Ferdi it dishes out the pain.
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: FlickJax on January 22, 2013, 06:41:10 AM
I went the Jagpanther II route instead, sometimes i do wish i had the armor of the Ferdi thats for sure.  Two- three shots and i'm dead normally.
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: Shelldrake on January 22, 2013, 07:39:09 AM
Quote from: Deadskin on January 22, 2013, 06:10:46 AM
I love my Ferdi it dishes out the pain.

+1

Ferdi is great since it can hold its own even against tier 9 and 10 tanks but for low tier battles a properly equipped SU-76 with maxed out crew is a slaughter machine.  8)
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: Slick Wilhelm on January 22, 2013, 04:55:03 PM
I finally have a tank that seems to inspire fear into my opponents, the T-28 TD. I've got it completely upgraded, including that luscious 120mm gun. I also have a camo net, binoculars and an enhanced gun laying drive to round out the goodies.

In one battle, I actually had a Lowe and an IS-6 refuse to drive up over a rise to kill me, even though one of them would have been able to kill me. Neither of them wanted to take that first 120mm round. After two years of battling, it's nice to have a tank that gets some respect. 
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: Greybriar on January 22, 2013, 08:14:02 PM
I don't know if it inspires fear into my opponents, but I am quite happy with my SU-100 (http://wiki.worldoftanks.com/SU-100). Its 122mm gun does a lot of damage for a Tier 6. Last night a T-50 came whizzing by me on its way to take out my team's arty. I got lucky and blew him away with a single shot. I felt so proud!

In other news, I've unlocked several other vehicles including the Pershing (http://wiki.worldoftanks.com/Pershing) and a couple of Tier VII (http://wiki.worldoftanks.com/M40/M43) arty (http://wiki.worldoftanks.com/Object_212) but I can't afford the credits necessary to buy any of them. I even missed the chance at a World of Tanks T-shirt because of being so poor.
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: GDS_Starfury on January 23, 2013, 12:17:44 AM
Quote from: FlickJax on January 22, 2013, 06:41:10 AM
I went the Jagpanther II route instead, sometimes i do wish i had the armor of the Ferdi thats for sure.  Two- three shots and i'm dead normally.

I just sold mine to re-buy the E-50.  it was a really hard choice between the E-50 (again) or getting the Jagdtiger.  I took the E-50 because Im really happy with were the Ferd is and dont want to be annoyed with the JT.  the Ferd is a great tank but it also shows how much crew skills can effect a game.
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: Shelldrake on January 23, 2013, 07:59:08 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 23, 2013, 12:17:44 AM
I just sold mine to re-buy the E-50.  it was a really hard choice between the E-50 (again) or getting the Jagdtiger.  I took the E-50 because Im really happy with were the Ferd is and dont want to be annoyed with the JT.  the Ferd is a great tank but it also shows how much crew skills can effect a game.

I upgraded to the JT and couldn't win a battle with it to save my life so sold it and went back to the Ferd. I also run a Panther 2 and could upgrade to the E-50. Is it worth it? Sound like you like it Star.
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: FlickJax on January 23, 2013, 08:31:13 AM
I found the E50 tough going compared to my Patton but I do like my E50M
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: Slick Wilhelm on January 23, 2013, 08:46:19 AM
This is what Santa brought my 13 yr old son for Christmas this year. His exact words were "YES! This is so me!"  :)

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2F1up-designs.com%2Fimages%2Feat_sleep_wot.jpg&hash=e73107a6176132a232651ee6a9151eeefa0dfebd)
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: FlickJax on January 23, 2013, 08:55:13 AM
Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on January 23, 2013, 08:46:19 AM
This is what Santa brought my 13 yr old son for Christmas this year. His exact words were "YES! This is so me!"  :)

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2F1up-designs.com%2Fimages%2Feat_sleep_wot.jpg&hash=e73107a6176132a232651ee6a9151eeefa0dfebd)

Nice do they do them in XXXL for us stout old fellows?
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: Windigo on January 23, 2013, 10:11:26 AM
Talking about tanks fitting a person's playing style. My Churchill III and my IS 7 seem to be my tanks that I have the most confidence in. The IS 7 is a total killing machine that can take hits and the Churchill is the same although you have to fire far more shots .
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: FlickJax on January 23, 2013, 11:49:26 AM
My current favourites are T29 and Comet.
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: Windigo on January 23, 2013, 01:11:08 PM
Quote from: FlickJax on January 23, 2013, 11:49:26 AM
My current favourites are T29 and Comet.

Comet with gold rounds can hand out the beating .... providing hard cover is close by as you never know when GPS is nearby putting a bullseye on your ammo rack.

Speaking of GPS I wonder if he realized that he killed my panther II about a month or so ago, it was quite a surprise as I was sniping and never saw him at all despite it being about 7 minutes into the game and he had 2 kills already. Took 800 off with one shot (ammo racked and fire)
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: GDS_Starfury on January 23, 2013, 04:57:47 PM
Quote from: Shelldrake on January 23, 2013, 07:59:08 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 23, 2013, 12:17:44 AM
I just sold mine to re-buy the E-50.  it was a really hard choice between the E-50 (again) or getting the Jagdtiger.  I took the E-50 because Im really happy with were the Ferd is and dont want to be annoyed with the JT.  the Ferd is a great tank but it also shows how much crew skills can effect a game.

I upgraded to the JT and couldn't win a battle with it to save my life so sold it and went back to the Ferd. I also run a Panther 2 and could upgrade to the E-50. Is it worth it? Sound like you like it Star.

Im mostly interested in seeing what the E-50M can do and I already had a trained E-50 crew in barracks with 2 skill upgrades.

Quote from: Windigo on January 23, 2013, 01:11:08 PM
Quote from: FlickJax on January 23, 2013, 11:49:26 AM
My current favourites are T29 and Comet.

Comet with gold rounds can hand out the beating .... providing hard cover is close by as you never know when GPS is nearby putting a bullseye on your ammo rack.

Speaking of GPS I wonder if he realized that he killed my panther II about a month or so ago, it was quite a surprise as I was sniping and never saw him at all despite it being about 7 minutes into the game and he had 2 kills already. Took 800 off with one shot (ammo racked and fire)

No I didnt realize that.  thats why I use one name for all of my games.  did I kill you with the Ferd or the E-75?
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: Windigo on January 23, 2013, 05:23:45 PM
The FERD!
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: GDS_Starfury on January 23, 2013, 06:14:27 PM
serves ya right hippy!
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: RedArgo on January 23, 2013, 11:44:35 PM
Sometime lurker, first time poster  :)

Did anyone order else their free tier 10 tee shirt?  I can't figure out how to embed a picture, so I attached it.

It makes all the many, many hours and withstanding my wife's evil stare worth it to get my T110E5, I guess.  It is actually one of my least favorite tanks to drive though.  I like the KV-1 best I think.
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: Greybriar on January 24, 2013, 12:09:37 AM
Welcome to the GrogHeads forums, RedArgo.

Since I did not have a Tier 10 in my garage, I did not get a free T-shirt. I am happy to hear that you did though. Thanks for posting that picture.

I rarely use any of my vehicles that are Tier 7 or higher and spend my time using vehicles that are Tier 6 or less. They are much more affordable and make me a little money.
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: RedArgo on January 24, 2013, 01:17:29 PM
I'm the same way, I play my tier 5 and 6 vehicles a lot more than my 8s or 10.  Seems like my level of skill is more suited to that level and its nice not losing 25k credits every time I die.
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: LongBlade on January 24, 2013, 01:48:48 PM
Quote from: RedArgo on January 23, 2013, 11:44:35 PM
Sometime lurker, first time poster  :)

Did anyone order else their free tier 10 tee shirt?  I can't figure out how to embed a picture, so I attached it.

It makes all the many, many hours and withstanding my wife's evil stare worth it to get my T110E5, I guess.  It is actually one of my least favorite tanks to drive though.  I like the KV-1 best I think.

Welcome, Red!
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: Greybriar on January 24, 2013, 09:43:30 PM
Black Tom Weekend (http://worldoftanks.com/news/1966-black-tom-weekend/) begins tomorrow morning:

Quote from: World of TanksTankers!

In honor of the formation of the US Tank Corps on January 26th in 1918, we've put together a solid set of discounts and bonuses to keep you tanking throughout the weekend. Crews will be earning double XP, two premium tanks are on sale, and a host of other vehicles will be earning 50-100% more credits in every match!

Black Tom Weekend will commence at 03:30 PST (11:30 UTC) on January 25, 2013 and will run through 03:00 PST (11:00 UTC) on January 28, 2013.
X2 Crew Experience
50% Credit Discount on Consumables
Discount on Premium Time

    Three days for 250 gold

50% Gold Discount for the Following Premium Vehicles:
III M22 Locust
V Ram II

+50% Credit Income for the Following Vehicles:
V M24 Chaffee
VI M12

+100% Credit Income for the Following Vehicles:
VI M36 Jackson
VII T25 AT
VI M4A3E8 Sherman
VII T20

Please keep in mind that selling any of the discounted vehicles above during the sale will yield only a 50% return of the sale price as credits.

I suggest not playing World of Tanks tonight so you won't miss out on the specials. That's what I am going to do.

Edit: I believe this will be the first WoT special wherein I own all the tanks which are recieving bonuses.  8)
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: GDS_Starfury on January 24, 2013, 09:49:54 PM
WoT hates German tankers!!!   >:(
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: LongBlade on January 24, 2013, 09:53:53 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 24, 2013, 09:49:54 PM
WoT hates German tankers!!!   >:(

Good thing you're American ;)
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: Greybriar on January 24, 2013, 09:54:27 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 24, 2013, 09:49:54 PM
WoT hates German tankers!!!   >:(

You know as well as I do that the U.S.S.R. had the best tanks, right?  ;)
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: Windigo on March 14, 2013, 02:06:04 PM
So who has tried the new german light tank? The Pz II C?

freaking awesome fun.
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: GDS_Starfury on March 14, 2013, 02:57:53 PM
Ive been shooting them to pieces with mai loltraktor.  once again the Germans got screwed over with the last patch.
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: Greybriar on March 14, 2013, 03:58:49 PM
Quote from: Windigo on March 14, 2013, 02:06:04 PM
So who has tried the new german light tank? The Pz II C?

freaking awesome fun.

I'm out of garage slots and I refuse to buy them when they aren't on sale for half price. But I'll probably buy the new German light tanks later on.
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: Greybriar on December 26, 2014, 06:44:19 PM
I got a little bored and thought I'd play World of Tanks since it had been quite awhile since I had fired it up. When I logged on I was informed that I had been given a free tank (Pz.Kpfw. II Ausf. D) and garage slot. It didn't survive its first battle, so I was surprised when I viewed the battle results:

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi60.tinypic.com%2F25jyr2p.jpg&hash=4f195d04d545181ed688284055386a1a631ed8b8)

What a nice surprise!
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: GDS_Starfury on December 26, 2014, 07:10:17 PM
 O0

I hate the thing.
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: Staggerwing on December 26, 2014, 08:01:25 PM
Man, that brings back memories- I put in many, many hours driving around in a PzII while playing WW2OL during the early and mid 2000's.


(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fhome.arcor.de%2FJalik%2Fpzguide%2Fpz2.jpg&hash=3d0264daa35b6939bf6ce411eea73b6a5099c5df)


(EDIT for proper panzer ID.)

Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: Apocalypse 31 on December 26, 2014, 08:25:45 PM
I put some serious hours into Ww2OL.

It's a shame to see the current state of the game; not surprising given some of the gameplay decisions that the developers made.

I'm not even sure how the game is even still running
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: Staggerwing on December 26, 2014, 10:06:35 PM
Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on December 26, 2014, 08:25:45 PM
That's a panzer 3, but yeah, I put some serious hours into Ww2OL.

Oops
That's what I get for posting while watching TV.  :-[ :-[
I'll have to fix that before I lose anymore grogcred...
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: GDS_Starfury on December 27, 2014, 01:53:50 AM
I saw it.  ::)
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: Slick Wilhelm on December 27, 2014, 07:11:02 PM
Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on December 26, 2014, 08:25:45 PM
I put some serious hours into Ww2OL.

It's a shame to see the current state of the game; not surprising given some of the gameplay decisions that the developers made.

I'm not even sure how the game is even still running

I spent four intense years in WW2OL. I've found that four years is about my max on any game, before burnout sets in.

Curious, though, what you think is the deplorable state of affairs in the game. I haven't played since about 2006.
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: Apocalypse 31 on December 28, 2014, 09:17:01 AM
Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on December 27, 2014, 07:11:02 PM
Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on December 26, 2014, 08:25:45 PM
I put some serious hours into Ww2OL.

It's a shame to see the current state of the game; not surprising given some of the gameplay decisions that the developers made.

I'm not even sure how the game is even still running

I spent four intense years in WW2OL. I've found that four years is about my max on any game, before burnout sets in.

Curious, though, what you think is the deplorable state of affairs in the game. I haven't played since about 2006.

Can't say I've played in a few years. Last time I played (2+/-) years ago, it was a ghost town. Only a handful of missions throughout the entire theater. Really sad when compared to the 2002-2005 years, when you could log in at any time and find a large number of players.

Also disturbing is their Dev team, mainly the Doc fellow. Abrasive, outspoken, and hypocritical. With all the true talent that left the team, he was one that stayed. The owner should have fired Doc years ago.

As I said previously, I think the team made some pretty poor decisions along the way which landed them in their current state.  MMOs are a tough beast; you can't expect to be successful when your game is running off of a 15 year old game engine, or you consistently make vasr, game-changing rules.

Its sad because it had so much potrntial.




Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: Staggerwing on December 28, 2014, 09:34:01 AM
I believe Doc is a part-owner so not likely to be fired. Also, the game engine was upgraded a few years ago with the introduction of rag-doll physics and a few other bits. Supposedly there is a Beta running right now that is preparing the game for a transition to Steam but I was not able to get any specifics from perusing the forums. I hope it makes it onto Steam because the developers' problems of late have been a severe lack of funds for developing the game and adding more kit. More exposure might bring more funding.
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: Apocalypse 31 on December 28, 2014, 09:48:55 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on December 28, 2014, 09:34:01 AM
Also, the game engine was upgraded a few years ago with the introduction of rag-doll physics and a few other bits.

"Polishing a turd"

Engine was developed in 1999. Apparently the code was written so poorly that it can't be edited without a significant effort.

Frankly, i don't think the Steam crowd is going to get this game back on track.
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: eyebiter on August 16, 2015, 06:31:43 AM
Free Soviet BT-7A tank for logging in until Aug 19th

http://worldoftanks.com/en/news/pc-browser/22/wot-5th/

Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: eyebiter on December 18, 2015, 08:52:19 PM
Free German 43 M. Toldi III tank between now and Jan 15, 2016

http://worldoftanks.com/en/news/pc-browser/22/holiday-surprises/
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: Shelldrake on December 19, 2015, 12:17:39 PM
I haven't uninstalled yet but also haven't played in ages since WoW is my current action fix.
Title: Re: World of Tanks
Post by: Greybriar on December 25, 2016, 01:57:36 PM
If anyone wants to try World of Tanks, use the invite code

IAMTANKER2016

and receive a special Tanksmas gift when they sign up for a new account.