GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: JasonPratt on February 05, 2014, 02:24:25 PM

Title: The Feb 2014 GAME FINISH thread -- so it continues... about as you'd expect...
Post by: JasonPratt on February 05, 2014, 02:24:25 PM
...meaning I still haven't finished a game in a while.  :-[ :P

But I still haven't bought a new game in a while either! For my computer. For my iPhone and for the nieces yes, but not for my computer.

... ........ February, as usual, is a very depressing month for me.  :'(


Meanwhile, has anyone managed to finish a game since the end of January?
Title: Re: The Feb 2014 GAME FINISH thread -- so it continues... about as you'd expect...
Post by: bob48 on February 05, 2014, 06:11:17 PM
Not as such.

Although I've started a few...........

I'm working my way through a multitude of un-played WaW scenario's at the moment, but no doubt that will stop once my copy of Heroes of the Blitzkrieg arrives.
Title: Re: The Feb 2014 GAME FINISH thread -- so it continues... about as you'd expect...
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 06, 2014, 07:57:36 PM
I finished The Banner Saga.

Meh....
Title: Re: The Feb 2014 GAME FINISH thread -- so it continues... about as you'd expect...
Post by: JasonPratt on February 07, 2014, 10:49:59 AM
Your "meh" intrigues me, SDR. Um... despite the fact that I'm not buying any more games for a while I mean.

You know. For the future.  :D
Title: Re: The Feb 2014 GAME FINISH thread -- so it continues... about as you'd expect...
Post by: Anguille on February 07, 2014, 03:33:39 PM
Finished Darkstar One yesterday....a long and enjoyable campaign! Needed 2 months to finish the game. Star Wars is obviously a great inspiration to the team...great game even though not hardcore.
Title: Re: The Feb 2014 GAME FINISH thread -- so it continues... about as you'd expect...
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 07, 2014, 07:41:55 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on February 07, 2014, 10:49:59 AM
Your "meh" intrigues me, SDR. Um... despite the fact that I'm not buying any more games for a while I mean.

You know. For the future.  :D

The game is story driven and the story is linear.  You are presented with dialogue trees at certain points and your choices may give you extra troops or an item or pusnish you with less supplies or loss of a character but there isn't a lot of interaction.  The meat of the game is the tactical, turn-based battle portion but it's just not that interesting.  There isn't enough depth to it as far as I'm concerned.  The battle grid is based on squares like a chess board.  Your units can only turn and move at 90 degree angles.  It's really that important as there are no bonuses or penalties for flank and rear attacks so positioning isn't all that important except as a blocking mechanisim. 

The battle grid is also too small to allow for much in the way of tactical manouvering, especially later in the game when the grid is filled with combatants from both sides.  Also, there isn't enough variety in the individial battlegrids.  Most are perfectly uniform squares with no obstacles on them at all.  A few grids have tables or rocks but most are completely blank.  It gets kind of boring as the battles all end up the same. 

Prior to each battle, you select the characters that will take part and arrange them in an initiative sequence (first to act to last to act) that doesn't alter at all during the battle.  The end result of that is that most battle outcomes are decided based on how well you ordered your units in the initiative sequence.   
Title: Re: The Feb 2014 GAME FINISH thread -- so it continues... about as you'd expect...
Post by: Toonces on February 08, 2014, 12:47:18 PM
I finished the main quest and the Dawnguard DLC in Skyrim yesterday (for the second time).  I'm going to wrap up the Civil War questline and then proceed on to Dragonborn.
Title: Re: The Feb 2014 GAME FINISH thread -- so it continues... about as you'd expect...
Post by: Rayfer on February 08, 2014, 02:01:13 PM
Quote from: Toonces on February 08, 2014, 12:47:18 PM
I finished the main quest and the Dawnguard DLC in Skyrim yesterday (for the second time).  I'm going to wrap up the Civil War questline and then proceed on to Dragonborn.

I had a lot of fun finishing the Civil War questline...are you supporting the rebels or the empire?  I went with the empire.
Title: Re: The Feb 2014 GAME FINISH thread -- so it continues... about as you'd expect...
Post by: Toonces on February 08, 2014, 02:03:07 PM
My first playthrough I did the Stormcloaks so this time I am doing the Imperials.
Title: Re: The Feb 2014 GAME FINISH thread -- so it continues... about as you'd expect...
Post by: JasonPratt on February 11, 2014, 07:53:13 PM
I played the Imperials, since the Stormcloaks couldn't be arsed to help me during the flight from Helgin (or whatever that city was called), so I followed the nice Imperial guy to Whitebridge or Whiteblack... It's been about a year since I beat the game so my memory about fine details is fudgy. But I stayed solidly on the Impy side, slightly because of plot inertia, partly because the Imps appeared to be actually helping the people better, partly because the Stormy leader seemed douchy when I got around to meeting him, and partly because I was curious if the game would allow me to court and marry the widowed Empress. (Spoiler: no, or if so I never figured out how after draining her side of the plot.)


In other news regarding games I finished this year instead of about this time last year -- a few minutes ago I finally beat Puzzle Kingdoms!

... ...... I am not actually proud of this fact.

Nor am I proud that this victory kind of makes me want to take another couple of swings at the plot of (for want of a better way to describe them) the first two games in the PuzzleX game series (Puzzle Quest and Puzzle Chronicles, the latter of which I'm very much closer to finally beating than the former.)

Good Lord help me. I could be working on my planned massive playthrough of several WW1 strategy games instead...

(I blame seasonal depression and the incipient return of pseudo-flu for this state of affairs.  :P )
Title: Re: The Feb 2014 GAME FINISH thread -- so it continues... about as you'd expect...
Post by: -budd- on February 11, 2014, 08:02:13 PM
Do free games count. I finished Kraven Manor, of course it was only a couple hours long.
Title: Re: The Feb 2014 GAME FINISH thread -- so it continues... about as you'd expect...
Post by: Rayfer on February 12, 2014, 04:21:12 PM
Finished another scenario (if that counts?) in Battles from the Bulge.  Eked out a mariginal victory as the Americans in Hofen Ho-Down.
Title: Re: The Feb 2014 GAME FINISH thread -- so it continues... about as you'd expect...
Post by: JasonPratt on February 15, 2014, 07:36:41 PM
And then for no apparent reason I finally putted in Puzzle Chronicles.

I AM ON A FREAKING ROLL!!  :D

I also out of curiosity started Galactrix: Puzzle Quest which like all the PQish games, except for PQ2 I guess, is quite different from the original mechanics of PQ. I continue to be impressed at how the designers implement role-playing or in this case sci-fi 4x mechanics into a gem-matching game. They're definitely something different!