GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: sandman2575 on February 05, 2014, 05:28:39 PM

Title: Wargame: Airland Battle 70% off
Post by: sandman2575 on February 05, 2014, 05:28:39 PM
70% off ($12) for Wargame: Airland Battle on Steam is tempting --

Is Airland Battle a serious improvement over European Escalation?  I have the latter, and though I like it, I find it a little too fast-paced for my aging reflexes. 

Is Airland Battle more of the same, or does it bring the game in an interesting enough new direction that it's worth checking out for folks (like me) who liked but did not love European Escalation?
Title: Re: Wargame: Airland Battle 70% off
Post by: Apocalypse 31 on February 05, 2014, 07:06:56 PM
I just reinstalled Euro Escalation, because I missed the scripted missions.

The ALB 'Dynamic' campaign system is weak, in my opinion. The AI just doesn't play along well, and the maps are entirely too big. Not to mention the horrible 20 minute timer, and lame morale and initiative rules.

The fixed wing air units of ALB are cool, but not very realistic.

Title: Re: Wargame: Airland Battle 70% off
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 05, 2014, 07:32:02 PM
I bought it about a month ago when it was on sale.  I have never played European Escalation so I cannot compare the two but I can tell you that I've shelved AirLand Battle because it moves too fast for my liking and the scenario time limits; unit purchase point system; and supply implementations are all aspects that I personally didn't enjoy.
Title: Re: Wargame: Airland Battle 70% off
Post by: sandman2575 on February 05, 2014, 08:41:34 PM
Thanks for the feedback.  Seems my reservations were justified.  Think I'll pass then, cheap price notwithstanding
Title: Re: Wargame: Airland Battle 70% off
Post by: Mr. Bigglesworth on February 06, 2014, 02:38:19 AM
They refuse to put pause into the game for some stupid reason. Against normal AI it is ok.  Against hard it is massing too many troops too fast all with good control while you jump from one formation to another. It gets stupid. You might still win, but it puts a bad taste in your mouth.

Even with a good job on the units it remains a teen's toy rather than a good battle simulation. too bad.

Title: Re: Wargame: Airland Battle 70% off
Post by: undercovergeek on February 06, 2014, 03:02:40 AM
the next one has a slow down feature - i find, along with a few others, that perservering with the game gets you round the speed problem