GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: son_of_montfort on February 06, 2014, 02:39:02 PM

Title: Horizon?
Post by: son_of_montfort on February 06, 2014, 02:39:02 PM
So, I just noticed a new and what seems to be unbelievable ambitious space 4X game named Horizon emerged out of Early Access today.

From my Steam list, I also noticed that several of you people here have it.

What is this all about? Is it worth a look? Can it possibly live up to what is is claiming it can do? Is this another Pegasus disaster?
Title: Re: Horizon?
Post by: bayonetbrant on February 06, 2014, 02:49:48 PM
Quote from: son_of_montfort on February 06, 2014, 02:39:02 PMWhat is this all about? Is it worth a look? Can it possibly live up to what is is claiming it can do? Is this another Pegasus disaster?

I'm not 100% certain, but it sure did sound like you were just volunteering for a First Impressions article for us...  ;D
Title: Re: Horizon?
Post by: Tpek on February 06, 2014, 02:56:25 PM
http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=5509.0
Title: Re: Horizon?
Post by: mikeck on February 06, 2014, 03:30:34 PM
I got it  about eight months ago when it first came out as an early release. at first I kind of liked it but after about 10 minutes I found it to be garbage.  Your choices as to what to put on each planet were the same for every planet but most disturbing the diplomacy was almost an attempt to be humorous. For example one alien said "hey do you know my friend fat Al if you know fat Al, I'll give you a discount." stuff like that was just very offputting. Production value was poor graphics in some parts of it look like old VGA graphics from 1992 just not voice sure you want to pick this one up early release not she can get at a discount I wait till out it was done and get some reviews
Title: Re: Horizon?
Post by: Martok on February 06, 2014, 03:43:53 PM
I've heard some fairly (albeit cautious) positive comments made regarding Horizon by a few people the last couple months.  Sounds like the most recent couple builds have been noticeable improvements over previous iterations. 

Also, I read (I think in an announcement from Iceberg, maybe?) that the game's release had been delayed so that all alien factions could be made playable.  Originally, you could only play as the Humans in Horizon, so this is a good reason to delay the release IMO. 

Title: Re: Horizon?
Post by: son_of_montfort on February 06, 2014, 03:45:32 PM
Quote from: Tpek on February 06, 2014, 02:56:25 PM
http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=5509.0

The last that was updated was September!

Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 06, 2014, 02:49:48 PM
Quote from: son_of_montfort on February 06, 2014, 02:39:02 PMWhat is this all about? Is it worth a look? Can it possibly live up to what is is claiming it can do? Is this another Pegasus disaster?

I'm not 100% certain, but it sure did sound like you were just volunteering for a First Impressions article for us...  ;D

I'm not 100% certain, but it sure did sound like you were going to get me a review code here... ;D
Title: Re: Horizon?
Post by: Anguille on September 16, 2015, 10:04:58 AM
Hi guys,

Just saw that Horizon is on sale (75% discount) until the 21st of september....recommended for 4x addicts. Cheers

http://store.steampowered.com/app/236130/ (http://store.steampowered.com/app/236130/)
Title: Re: Horizon?
Post by: Boggit on September 16, 2015, 10:17:11 AM
I was excited about this when it first came out, but since its release it has had a lot of bad press. There might be a good reason for the 75% discount. ::)
Title: Re: Horizon?
Post by: Labbug on September 16, 2015, 11:18:14 AM
I have playing Horizon for the last two weeks and enjoying it.
Title: Re: Horizon?
Post by: Rayfer on September 16, 2015, 12:25:09 PM
Bought this on sale at Steam a few days ago.....$7.50 or something close.  I've put in about 4 hours into a sandbox campaign. So far it has been worth the price. The developers have been doing updates, two were done as recently as July and August of this year. I've gotten my campaign past the initial exploration and colonization phase and have contacted two other races, both of which I've used diplomacy to open up trade.  It has a nice pacing to it, all turn based, even combat, though you can choose to resolve battles with auto combat. The ship design feature is fun too. Nothing new here, no real innovations or advancement of the 4x genre...but a fun game.
Title: Re: Horizon?
Post by: Anguille on September 16, 2015, 02:14:25 PM
Quote from: Boggit on September 16, 2015, 10:17:11 AM
I was excited about this when it first came out, but since its release it has had a lot of bad press. There might be a good reason for the 75% discount. ::)
Played the game for about a 100 hours so far...it's very solid and very decent for an indie game.
Title: Re: Horizon?
Post by: bbmike on September 16, 2015, 03:01:33 PM
And it has a really nice Star Trek mod that's almost complete.  ::) :P
Title: Re: Horizon?
Post by: Barthheart on September 16, 2015, 03:38:40 PM
Quote from: bbmike on September 16, 2015, 03:01:33 PM
And it has a really nice Star Trek mod that's almost complete.  ::) :P

Ohhh... now you've done it.  :P
Title: Re: Horizon?
Post by: Rayfer on September 16, 2015, 04:33:15 PM
Quote from: Anguille on September 16, 2015, 02:14:25 PM
Quote from: Boggit on September 16, 2015, 10:17:11 AM
I was excited about this when it first came out, but since its release it has had a lot of bad press. There might be a good reason for the 75% discount. ::)
Played the game for about a 100 hours so far...it's very solid and very decent for an indie game.

I'm having a tough time making enough money (or whatever it is they call it) to expand into bigger industries and fleets. I'm financially in the black, but barely so. Any tips on how to get the dollars flowing?
Title: Re: Horizon?
Post by: Labbug on September 16, 2015, 10:37:19 PM
The amount of credits you earn depend on your factories and trade and the planets you have colonized.  Try to colonize planets that have abundant resources (some also some have gold or gems associated with them which increases their worth).  Also your research can also be used to increase your credit output and the level of factory you can build. 

Your fleet size is limited by the number of command points you have.  This number depends on the level of logistics you have researched and the number of space stations you have built.
Title: Re: Horizon?
Post by: Boggit on September 17, 2015, 05:42:18 PM
It seems the developers must have responded to all the criticism since I last looked at it. From what is being said here, it sounds like it's nowhere near as bad as people were saying some months back.