GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Greybriar on February 07, 2014, 01:02:46 PM

Title: World War 2 Time of Wrath free at GamersGate
Post by: Greybriar on February 07, 2014, 01:02:46 PM
For a limited time GamersGate is offering World War 2 Time of Wrath free of charge. Just click on the button on its product page (http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-WW2RTV/world-war-2-time-of-wrath) to add it to you account.
Title: Re: World War 2 Time of Wrath free at GamersGate
Post by: WallysWorld on February 07, 2014, 01:20:58 PM
Many thanks for that heads-up!
Title: Re: World War 2 Time of Wrath free at GamersGate
Post by: BanzaiCat on February 07, 2014, 01:57:57 PM
Cool, thanks Greybriar!
Title: Re: World War 2 Time of Wrath free at GamersGate
Post by: -budd- on February 07, 2014, 03:00:20 PM
Wow ...thx for info.
Title: Re: World War 2 Time of Wrath free at GamersGate
Post by: Greybriar on February 07, 2014, 07:00:54 PM
You're welcome, Wally, Banzai, and Budd.

By the way, in case you are wondering what the hotkey is to jump to the next unit, it's the Tab key.
Title: Re: World War 2 Time of Wrath free at GamersGate
Post by: Staggerwing on February 07, 2014, 09:09:25 PM
Thanks for the heads up Greybriar.

Added it to my list only to find I already had it, making 2 copies. What the hel, clicked again, now I have 3...  ???
Title: Re: World War 2 Time of Wrath free at GamersGate
Post by: steve58 on February 07, 2014, 09:34:39 PM
Grabbed it, thanks.  May never play, but its mine now  :P
Title: Re: World War 2 Time of Wrath free at GamersGate
Post by: BanzaiCat on February 07, 2014, 09:46:29 PM
Always better to have games than have not games.
Title: Re: World War 2 Time of Wrath free at GamersGate
Post by: BanzaiCat on February 07, 2014, 09:58:39 PM
You want to hear something REALLY sad?

I thought, "This game sounds familiar" when I downloaded it. Looking through the manual, it became even more familiar.

That's because I wrote the %*(@# thing. LOL. How soon we forget.
Title: Re: World War 2 Time of Wrath free at GamersGate
Post by: -budd- on February 07, 2014, 10:30:09 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on February 07, 2014, 09:58:39 PM
You want to hear something REALLY sad?

I thought, "This game sounds familiar" when I downloaded it. Looking through the manual, it became even more familiar.

That's because I wrote the %*(@# thing. LOL. How soon we forget.

Now thats funny ;D
Title: Re: World War 2 Time of Wrath free at GamersGate
Post by: Ubercat on February 07, 2014, 10:35:55 PM
I grabbed the game.

I'm curious. There have been, what, 3-4 variations on this game so far? All about the same scale. Can anyone give a rundown on the progression and which one is best? I got the impression that the first game kind of sucked and then it was improved in a newer game. Am I correct in assuming that this is the earliest?

Wrath of War.
Nations of Destruction.
Time of Explosions.

Did I miss any?  ;D
Title: Re: World War 2 Time of Wrath free at GamersGate
Post by: Toonces on February 07, 2014, 11:38:06 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on February 07, 2014, 09:58:39 PM
You want to hear something REALLY sad?

I thought, "This game sounds familiar" when I downloaded it. Looking through the manual, it became even more familiar.

That's because I wrote the %*(@# thing. LOL. How soon we forget.

BC, seriously man, put down the bong.  I know it's legal now, but...well, you've had enough...  ;D
Title: Re: World War 2 Time of Wrath free at GamersGate
Post by: Wolfe1759 on February 08, 2014, 07:02:32 AM
Quote from: Ubercat on February 07, 2014, 10:35:55 PM
I grabbed the game.

I'm curious. There have been, what, 3-4 variations on this game so far? All about the same scale. Can anyone give a rundown on the progression and which one is best? I got the impression that the first game kind of sucked and then it was improved in a newer game. Am I correct in assuming that this is the earliest?

Wrath of War.
Nations of Destruction.
Time of Explosions.

Did I miss any?  ;D

1) WW2: Road to Victory
2) WW2: Time of Wrath
3) Storm Over the Pacific
4) Time of Fury
5) Strategic War in Europe

All use the same basic engine being tweaked and modified with each iteration.

Graphics and UI have generally been improved with each release, however the modders generally do a much better job in the graphics department.

None were really ever finished before the developers moved onto their next release.

If you owned 1) you got 2) for free.

4) is the latest "full scale" version of the base game.

5) was supposed to have been released as a free update to 4) but never was.

The latest and much needed patch for 4) has been in public beta and I believe a subsequent non-public beta since February of last year with no sign of it being finished any time soon.

In essence 2) was a free patch for 1) (or possibly 1) could be seen as an Early Access  for 2) before people actually did Early Access), 3) was a new game on the same engine, 4) was a paid for patch for 2) which cost more than the base game, 5) was a free variant of 4) which you had to pay for !

As to which is best I'd go for Strategic Command, Commander Europe at War or Gary Grigsby's World at War a World Divided  :)
Title: Re: World War 2 Time of Wrath free at GamersGate
Post by: Tosh on February 08, 2014, 08:24:08 AM
Quote from: Wolfe1759 on February 08, 2014, 07:02:32 AM

None were really ever finished before the developers moved onto their next release.

As to which is best I'd go for Strategic Command, Commander Europe at War or Gary Grigsby's World at War a World Divided  :)

+1

This sums it up perfectly.
(I own all of them, but got more and more disappointed, as new features would be introduced, while old bugs and issues with the overall game play balance were still untouched. Now I play neither of them.)
Title: Re: World War 2 Time of Wrath free at GamersGate
Post by: Ian C on February 08, 2014, 10:23:06 AM
Quote from: Wolfe1759 on February 08, 2014, 07:02:32 AM


As to which is best I'd go for ...Commander Europe at War ...

In my opinion, with the GS 3 upgrade mod, the best Strategic European game experience currenly. It's possibly the best one so far to capture the boardgame tabletop feel.

Mod link: http://www.slitherine.com/ceaw_gs3
Title: Re: World War 2 Time of Wrath free at GamersGate
Post by: FlickJax on February 08, 2014, 10:56:18 AM
I prefer Time of Wrath to any of the games they released after it and had some fun playing it. Cant get on with Time of Fury.
Title: Re: World War 2 Time of Wrath free at GamersGate
Post by: mirth on February 08, 2014, 11:06:51 AM
Thanks for the heads up, Greybriar.
Title: Re: World War 2 Time of Wrath free at GamersGate
Post by: Greybriar on February 08, 2014, 11:34:58 AM
You're welcome, Staggerwing, Steve, and Mirth.
Title: Re: World War 2 Time of Wrath free at GamersGate
Post by: BanzaiCat on February 08, 2014, 12:27:51 PM
Quote from: Toonces on February 07, 2014, 11:38:06 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on February 07, 2014, 09:58:39 PM
You want to hear something REALLY sad?

I thought, "This game sounds familiar" when I downloaded it. Looking through the manual, it became even more familiar.

That's because I wrote the %*(@# thing. LOL. How soon we forget.

BC, seriously man, put down the bong.  I know it's legal now, but...well, you've had enough...  ;D

I wish. I guess I was just trying to forget I used to slave away on those books...lol.
Title: Re: World War 2 Time of Wrath free at GamersGate
Post by: Greybriar on February 08, 2014, 12:37:55 PM
Quote from: Wolfe1759 on February 08, 2014, 07:02:32 AM
Quote from: Ubercat on February 07, 2014, 10:35:55 PM
I grabbed the game.

I'm curious. There have been, what, 3-4 variations on this game so far? All about the same scale. Can anyone give a rundown on the progression and which one is best? I got the impression that the first game kind of sucked and then it was improved in a newer game. Am I correct in assuming that this is the earliest?

Wrath of War.
Nations of Destruction.
Time of Explosions.

Did I miss any?  ;D

1) WW2: Road to Victory
2) WW2: Time of Wrath
3) Storm Over the Pacific
4) Time of Fury
5) Strategic War in Europe

All use the same basic engine being tweaked and modified with each iteration.

Graphics and UI have generally been improved with each release, however the modders generally do a much better job in the graphics department.

None were really ever finished before the developers moved onto their next release.

If you owned 1) you got 2) for free.

4) is the latest "full scale" version of the base game.

5) was supposed to have been released as a free update to 4) but never was.

The latest and much needed patch for 4) has been in public beta and I believe a subsequent non-public beta since February of last year with no sign of it being finished any time soon.

In essence 2) was a free patch for 1) (or possibly 1) could be seen as an Early Access  for 2) before people actually did Early Access), 3) was a new game on the same engine, 4) was a paid for patch for 2) which cost more than the base game, 5) was a free variant of 4) which you had to pay for !

As to which is best I'd go for Strategic Command, Commander Europe at War or Gary Grigsby's World at War a World Divided  :)

Thank you very much for the explanation about the Wastelands Interactive games. I own the majority of them but have only played World War 2: Time of Wrath. Knowing the chronological order in which they appeared will make it easier to decide which (if any) of the other games to play next.

As to which is the best of certain other WWII PC games to play, I'm a little partial to the original Strategic Command (http://www.gog.com/game/strategic_command_european_theater/pp/a17554a0d2b15a664c0e73900184544f19e70227), although it is even more dated since it first appeared in 2002 than its predecessor (Clash of Steel (http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/clash-of-steel-world-war-ii-europe-1939-45), released in 1993) was when Strategic Command superceded it.

Commander Europe at War reminded me a lot of Panzer General. Which is not a bad thing.

Gary Grigsby's World At War is, I think, probably the simplest Gary Grigsby WWII game there is to play. It doesn't have all the micro-management that his other games require.
Title: Re: World War 2 Time of Wrath free at GamersGate
Post by: BanzaiCat on February 08, 2014, 12:54:03 PM
I remember Strategic Command: War in Europe. I liked playing that one.

Gary Grigsby's World at War was always compared to Axis & Allies, which was unfair as it had more going on than A&A. I did the manual for that one too, and only mention it because it is the one I'm most proud of. I wish I still had my copy of it. :(
Title: Re: World War 2 Time of Wrath free at GamersGate
Post by: Shelldrake on February 08, 2014, 09:59:00 PM
Grabbed it! Thanks for the heads up Greybriar!!
Title: Re: World War 2 Time of Wrath free at GamersGate
Post by: Greybriar on February 10, 2014, 12:27:57 AM
You're welcome, Shelldrake.
Title: Re: World War 2 Time of Wrath free at GamersGate
Post by: GDS_Starfury on February 10, 2014, 04:14:35 PM
the download is still valid at of 4pm today.