Confused by the incredibly long list of mods at the TW forums, I'm wondering if folk here can recommend a mod that will increase realism in the battles? I'm looking for things that will slow down movement and increase battle length to realistic levels, and that result in more realistic levels of casualties.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
I gave up trying to find mods that only changed the battles, for ETW and NTW, after digging around a few times in the past.
The ones that I did find were old unfinished ones that were left that way. So I ended up having to install one of the all-encompassing Mega Mods, which inevitably changed gameplay for everything else, too. >:(
I'm not sure if Radious was doing his modular modding back in NTW days. I seem to recall he started doing it regularly with Shogun 2.
I like Europe in Conflict (http://www.twcenter.net/wiki/Europe_in_Conflict).
having recently downloaded it - i just added Darth and a regimental flag mod - it looks great and i hope to be able to get into it soon
Hello Smithcorp. I use the Napoleon Total Combat mod. It has a number of features I like-- larger unit sizes, up to 400 for infantry, 175 for cav, and 8-10 guns per arty. unit. Also you have the OPTION to have armies with 20, 30, or 40 units per army/fleet. And can fight on a larger battle map where you must maneuver your forces against the enemy. And it adds a ton of new, historical units that look gorgeous. The battle AI is quite good and with the larger arty unit sizes, the battles play-out more like real Napoleonic battles. The downside is it's an older mod-- 2010 and hasn't been updated since 2011. And trying to control a 40 unit army or fleet is almost impossible at times especially at night which this mod seems to like a lot. Still, it feels more Napoleonic in scope. The campaign AI is better than vanilla but not brilliant and almost any faction is playable. Plus it's a breeze to install and use. You can find it here... http://www.moddb.com/mods/napoleon-total-combat
A close second would be the Darthmod. I only played the very first version of it though and it's been updated several times since release. It's at the Total War Center if you want to look it up there. Hope this helps you out with your question.
Hey Sir Slash,
Does that Combat Mod keep the AI from seeing through your lines of troops and constantly targeting your leader unit with artillery? I kept finding myself having to find a depression to hide my commander unit in all the time because the AI would see them from anywhere on the map and just bombard them non-stop until I did so.
That was a big issue for me in some of these TWs - line of sight/fog of war. Darthmod may have added in some of that stuff but last time I played that one, it had a nasty crash so I gave up.
If you play with the larger battle maps, your forces begin outside even arty range but as you close the AI will target your general but not more so than other units. Marching toward 2 units of 12lbers, that's 20 guns, can be frightening... and costly. The mod has night battles but I don't think it effects the visibility at all as the AI will still fire on you effectively in the dark. But at least the AI doesn't usually come right at you. On defense, they'll find some good ground and wait for you to come to them, and shoot your ass-off in the process. Morale is increased so troops will hang in there longer too. I thought I'd love the 40 unit armies but went back to 20 because the larger armies are so damned hard to control.
Quote from: smithcorp on February 12, 2014, 08:39:38 PM
Confused by the incredibly long list of mods at the TW forums, I'm wondering if folk here can recommend a mod that will increase realism in the battles? I'm looking for things that will slow down movement and increase battle length to realistic levels, and that result in more realistic levels of casualties.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
As much as I love total wargames and even total war Napoleon, if you were looking for realistic casualties realistic battle times and such you're better off downloading JM M histwar: Napoleon or something like that
Thanks all for your suggestions in this thread. I'm looking into them (though I am not a fan of Darth mods). What are your views please on the NTW3 mod?