GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: mikeck on February 12, 2014, 09:53:34 PM

Title: EU IV help please
Post by: mikeck on February 12, 2014, 09:53:34 PM
Wanted to fire up a game of EU 4. Problem is that I can load a game but as soon as I try to save it, the game stops working and crashes to desktop. Even if I start a new game, if I try to save it, the game crashes.

I verified integrity: didn't help
I uninstalled local files and reinstalled (not sure if I deleted the saves): didn't help

I has seen this problem posted but all solutions lead to the paradox tech forum. My eu 4 isn't registered because I bought it on steam and right now, I have no idea what the code is and my wife is on the computer.

So....any idea what's going on?
Title: Re: EU IV help please
Post by: Kushan on February 12, 2014, 10:08:21 PM
From the paradox forums:

Quote
Probably one or more save games is corrupt. Manually move all the games out of Documents/EU4/save games/ to somewhere else, and then check you can click on the Save tab OK. If so, move your valued games back in one by one.
Title: Re: EU IV help please
Post by: mikeck on February 12, 2014, 10:44:01 PM
What's odd is even if I start a new game, I can't save. I may just delete all the save files and folders and reinstall again
Title: Re: EU IV help please
Post by: Kushan on February 12, 2014, 10:50:18 PM
Make sure everything get deleted, the steam install folder and the folder/files in your my documents folder.
Title: Re: EU IV help please
Post by: mikeck on February 12, 2014, 11:01:26 PM
Thanks, works now...I just deleted the whole save game file and verified game file cache. When i restarted, I had to chose the language and everything so I knew it had truly been deleted. Started a new game and it saved so you were right, that save file was corrupted
Title: Re: EU IV help please
Post by: Nefaro on February 12, 2014, 11:28:27 PM
For future reference, you should be able to find your Paradox Forum key on your games Properties menu, if it's not on the list on the right when the game is selected in your Steam Library.
Title: Re: EU IV help please
Post by: mikeck on February 19, 2014, 08:45:37 PM
Didn't feel like starting a new thread for a mod question so here goes.... Have any of you guys tried the MEIOU and Taxes mod? It was reviewed on the wargamer and they loved it. One or the other was a must have in EU3 and now that they combined , it sounds awesome...just don't here much about it
Title: Re: EU IV help please
Post by: Nefaro on February 19, 2014, 08:55:27 PM
Quote from: mikeck on February 19, 2014, 08:45:37 PM
Didn't feel like starting a new thread for a mod question so here goes.... Have any of you guys tried the MEIOU and Taxes mod? It was reviewed on the wargamer and they loved it. One or the other was a must have in EU3 and now that they combined , it sounds awesome...just don't here much about it

MIEOU for EU3 was great.  It expanded the game and changed a good amount of things, including some dumb gamey stuff (but perhaps not enough for me).  After I had played some MEIOU, I didn't want to go back to vanilla.

I had loaded up the Death & Taxes Mod in EU3 but never got around to playing it.  I thought some EU3 game mechanics were irreparable crap, and by this point I had stopped playing EU3.   The Death & Taxes mod for this earlier EU game mostly focused on tweaking the existing mechanics and not necessarily adding or drastically changing to the vanilla game much so I never got around to trying it unfortunately.  I read lots of good things about it.

As for EU4, I think it's a huge improvement over EU3 due to all the tweaks "under the hood".  Nearly all the annoying and senseless bullshit that made me shake my head in frustration when playing vanilla EU3 has been addressed in EU4.  So I've not really considered using a mod for it yet, as I will be quite happy with it for awhile yet - especially if they keep adding stuff in DLC.  That said, MEIOU and the Death & Taxes Mod were two of the most popular for the full collection of EU3 so there's a worthwhile pedigree there.  If you feel like you need to use a Mod with EU4, then one of those would be a good place to start.  I believe Death & Taxes Mod was traditionally the easier one to learn since it didn't make so much outwardly sweeping changes as MEIOU.  Not sure whether that will still be the case with the latest but since they've combined, I expect it will have a lot of expanded stuff.

On a final note - I thought the MEIOU/Death & Taxes team was making a standalone for Paradox to actually sell and not just as a free mod?
Title: Re: EU IV help please
Post by: mikeck on February 19, 2014, 11:09:32 PM
They were but I think that fell through...this is a free mod