GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: jnpoint on February 14, 2014, 01:51:37 PM

Title: any suggestions on a very complex war game?
Post by: jnpoint on February 14, 2014, 01:51:37 PM
Hei. I would appreciate some help.

I'm looking for a new turn-based war game. I want it to be as complex as possible with a lot of possibilities, unit orders etc.. I'm most interested in ww2, but it's not a must.

I already have "Gary Grigsby's War in the East", but for some unknown reason I just don't like it. I was looking at Schwerpunkt' and 'John Tiller' (have none of their games), but can't make my mind up.

Any suggestions? 
Title: Re: any suggestions on a very complex war game?
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 14, 2014, 01:55:25 PM
War in the Pacific would be my first choice, but since you do not like WitE, WitP may not be the best option.  How about Hearts of Iron III? This one is fairly complex and has a pretty steep learning curve. It is not "turn-based" in the traditional sense, but it is pausible and can be slowed down, as well.

Although outstanding games, I would not recommend the Tiller titles based upon your requirements. They tend to be more on the tactical level and are not really what I would consider complex.
Title: Re: any suggestions on a very complex war game?
Post by: Bison on February 14, 2014, 02:02:36 PM
I'd also consider the Command Ops Series.  http://www.matrixgames.com/store/377/  You can get into a depth of planning and unit orders.  The added bonus is that the AI is very formidable. 
Title: Re: any suggestions on a very complex war game?
Post by: Barthheart on February 14, 2014, 02:06:02 PM
Guns of August?

Empires in Arms?

Title: Re: any suggestions on a very complex war game?
Post by: chemkid on February 14, 2014, 02:10:37 PM
i was looking for something similar, but me, i like gary's games very much, though... anyway, i thought i had found it with world in flames - but since the ai-opponent is far from finished and the single player experience is still missing something, i found lot's of challenge with tiller's panzer campaigns - yes, old stuff... no 'new' game but still.
if you have the time and patience you should try the mius-demo! hoi3 with the latest dlc 'their finest hour' is great, too - not turn-based... you should check paradox-forum and search for the black-ice mod, that's something special!! ;-)

good luck!
chem!
Title: Re: any suggestions on a very complex war game?
Post by: sandman2575 on February 14, 2014, 02:12:29 PM
I'd strongly recommend the Decisive Campaigns games -- especially Case Blue (check out the Matrix games site).  Like you, I found GG's WitE very disappointing.  DC Case Blue is not as complex as WitE, but I'd say it's still a fairly 'groggy' game, and one of my faves.  If you want hex-based, turn-based WW2 eastern front, again, I'd strongly recommend giving DC a look.
Title: Re: any suggestions on a very complex war game?
Post by: Rayfer on February 14, 2014, 02:25:06 PM
Since WW2 is not a must....I would suggest Matrix's American Civil War 2.  It is quite detailed with production, diplomacy, recruitment, army and corp building, managing generals, etc. etc.  And it is turn based.
Title: Re: any suggestions on a very complex war game?
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 14, 2014, 02:46:11 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on February 14, 2014, 02:25:06 PM
Since WW2 is not a must....I would suggest Matrix's American Civil War 2.  It is quite detailed with production, diplomacy, recruitment, army and corp building, managing generals, etc. etc.  And it is turn based.

Let's give credit where credit is due! Its developed by AGEOD...matrix is just the publisher. If you're going to look beyond WWII, I'd say any game from AGEOD would be a great choice.
Title: Re: any suggestions on a very complex war game?
Post by: jnpoint on February 14, 2014, 02:59:22 PM
Thanks for the many suggestions. I have some AGEOD games, but I'm primarily looking for ww2 games. And I have DC, and I like it, but I just want to try something different.

John Tiller's squad games seems to be complex, or am I wrong?
Title: Re: any suggestions on a very complex war game?
Post by: Toonces on February 14, 2014, 03:10:07 PM
War in the Pacific should have all the complexity you could ever want in a wargame.
Title: Re: any suggestions on a very complex war game?
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 14, 2014, 03:42:48 PM
Quote from: jnpoint on February 14, 2014, 02:59:22 PM
Thanks for the many suggestions. I have some AGEOD games, but I'm primarily looking for ww2 games. And I have DC, and I like it, but I just want to try something different.

John Tiller's squad games seems to be complex, or am I wrong?

The Squad Battles series is not complex, at all. They are very easy to learn (albeit difficult to master).
Title: Re: any suggestions on a very complex war game?
Post by: Father Ted on February 14, 2014, 03:49:47 PM
Combat Mission?  Maybe not a wargame per se, but it's WW2, pretty complex and can be turn-based.

I'd also recommend the Command Ops series.  Pretty in-depth in terms of orders and it's WW2.  Not turn-based, but you can pause whilst issuing orders.
Title: Re: any suggestions on a very complex war game?
Post by: Toonces on February 14, 2014, 03:54:09 PM
I feel compelled to state this one more time.  WitP:AE checks every one of the OP's boxes.  It's complex, lots of options and orders, and you can absolutely get buried in the weeds in details...everything from scheduling pilot training, to managing logistics for half the globe, to determining repair priorities at major ports.  It is micromanagement heaven.

And if you play the Japanese side you can manage war production as well, which is a game in itself.

No reason to compromise on turns or complexity when everything you want is already in a game, set in WW2, per your criteria.

8)
Title: Re: any suggestions on a very complex war game?
Post by: z1812 on February 14, 2014, 05:57:09 PM
What exactly do you mean by complex? Do you like to micromanage? Do you want complex rules?

Does scale matter. Tactical, operational or grand strategy?

If you want to micro manage and you like squad level than then HPS/Tillers Squad Battles might be a good choice.

Combat Mission would is a great game and there are demos.

There is an older Platoon level game called the Campaign Series which has the Pacific Front, East Front, and West Front included. It is older but very good and still in development. A complete new overhaul will be available next week.

And there is Steel Panthers World War 2. Again an older game but very comprehensive.

All of the above are turned based, very comprehensive, with scenario editors and the like. All have PBEM and some online play. They are all classics and they have a large active fan base.
Title: Re: any suggestions on a very complex war game?
Post by: jnpoint on February 15, 2014, 04:57:12 AM
yes, I might not have been so precise. English is not my primary language so it's somehow difficult to be precise, but I'll try harder this time.

Yes I like micromanagement a lot and complex rules too (love chess). Although WitP is al about that, then it's just to much of a monster for me :) I know I ask for a complex game, but wow WitP looks sooo huge, I would never be able to finish it.

For me it is not important if it's squad level or not, but I like games that gives you time and/or opportunity to prepare a good defense and room to choose between several tactical considerations.   
Title: Re: any suggestions on a very complex war game?
Post by: jnpoint on February 15, 2014, 05:13:20 AM
Right now Matrix has released "Lock 'n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad" - that looks kind of interesting. So I'll look into it.
Title: Re: any suggestions on a very complex war game?
Post by: Toonces on February 15, 2014, 06:14:54 AM
Quote from: jnpoint on February 15, 2014, 04:57:12 AM
Although WitP is al about that, then it's just to much of a monster for me :) I know I ask for a complex game, but wow WitP looks sooo huge, I would never be able to finish it.


You make Toonces sad.   :(

Seriously, though, you do need to get into the weeds with WitP, and it might not be the right game.  But, you can skip some of the BS, and such.  However, no matter how you slice it, it IS a very long game to finish the main campaign.

Be sure to let us know what you decide on, and how that fits the bill for you.   This isn't an uncommon question among wargamers.
Title: Re: any suggestions on a very complex war game?
Post by: Wolfe1759 on February 15, 2014, 08:37:32 AM
Quote from: jnpoint on February 15, 2014, 04:57:12 AM
yes, I might not have been so precise. English is not my primary language so it's somehow difficult to be precise, but I'll try harder this time.

Yes I like micromanagement a lot and complex rules too (love chess). Although WitP is al about that, then it's just to much of a monster for me :) I know I ask for a complex game, but wow WitP looks sooo huge, I would never be able to finish it.

For me it is not important if it's squad level or not, but I like games that gives you time and/or opportunity to prepare a good defense and room to choose between several tactical considerations.   

If you are looking for complex decision making against an AI that can do the same i.e. you can spend more time thinking about and planning your move as actually making it (as in chess) then I'll agree with those that have already recommended Command Ops. Also if you like micromanagement in Command Ops you play a Corps level game and micromanage down to the individual Company.
Title: Re: any suggestions on a very complex war game?
Post by: sandman2575 on February 15, 2014, 09:14:12 AM
I have dreams of a War in the Pacific 2.... Even if 2by3 just took the existing WitP:AE and gave it a modest graphical face-lift, with improved UI, I would happily pay top dollar for that. 

As much as I think WitP is an amazing game -- WitE is a pale, disappointing shadow in comparison -- I do increasingly find the outdated graphics and somewhat frustrating UI more and more of a barrier and disincentive to play...
Title: Re: any suggestions on a very complex war game?
Post by: GDS_Starfury on February 15, 2014, 04:45:46 PM
women are pretty frakin complex.  you could try one of them.   ;)
Title: Re: any suggestions on a very complex war game?
Post by: Mr. Bigglesworth on February 15, 2014, 06:19:27 PM
I wonder why people think complex is better. I find there is little insight in micromanagement based games. In the real world many complexities usually mean many approximations to fix a misunderstanding. Maybe what you seek is not what you want. Try Go, looks simple.
Title: Re: any suggestions on a very complex war game?
Post by: Bison on February 15, 2014, 07:01:58 PM
Quote from: jnpoint on February 15, 2014, 04:57:12 AM
yes, I might not have been so precise. English is not my primary language so it's somehow difficult to be precise, but I'll try harder this time.

Yes I like micromanagement a lot and complex rules too (love chess). Although WitP is al about that, then it's just to much of a monster for me :) I know I ask for a complex game, but wow WitP looks sooo huge, I would never be able to finish it.

For me it is not important if it's squad level or not, but I like games that gives you time and/or opportunity to prepare a good defense and room to choose between several tactical considerations.   

Command Ops Battle of the Bulge.  Seriously.  You can plan out very complex operations from as high or low on the organizational chart as you want.  Then make adjustments as the times for your operations slip or the AI makes counter moves. 
Title: Re: any suggestions on a very complex war game?
Post by: JasonPratt on February 15, 2014, 07:27:41 PM
One thing about WitP:AE and Command Ops which hasn't been stressed is that you don't have to be as complex as the games allow. You can adjust how much complexity you want to play with -- moreso with CO than with WitP, due to the very different way the game plays.

Another option would be to try WitP: Warplan Orange, which isn't as complex as even the original WitP, much less AE; and still allows scaling how much of the war you'd like to manage. Plus it has a unique alternate history story, with WW2 starting early in the Pacific while technology isn't much more advanced than WW1.
Title: Re: any suggestions on a very complex war game?
Post by: jnpoint on February 17, 2014, 04:26:45 PM
Quote from: chemkid on February 14, 2014, 02:10:37 PM
i was looking for something similar, but me, i like gary's games very much, though... anyway, i thought i had found it with world in flames - but since the ai-opponent is far from finished and the single player experience is still missing something, i found lot's of challenge with tiller's panzer campaigns - yes, old stuff... no 'new' game but still.
if you have the time and patience you should try the mius-demo! hoi3 with the latest dlc 'their finest hour' is great, too - not turn-based... you should check paradox-forum and search for the black-ice mod, that's something special!! ;-)

good luck!
chem!

I tried the mius demo. Is the graphics the same level in John Tiller's games as in that one? If the graphics is better than in the demo I think, I will get Red victory.
Title: Re: any suggestions on a very complex war game?
Post by: Bison on February 17, 2014, 05:32:52 PM
Tiller's graphics are the same as the demo.  I'd look at Decisive Campaigns too especially since Warsaw to Paris is on sale for $20 at Matrix at the moment.
Title: Re: any suggestions on a very complex war game?
Post by: z1812 on February 23, 2014, 10:35:13 AM
So jnpoint which game did you decide upon?
Title: Re: any suggestions on a very complex war game?
Post by: Philippe on February 23, 2014, 10:58:29 AM
Tiller's graphics are not very good, which is a shame because the games deliver an experience that is worth having.


Here's a link to some mods for the Panzer Campaign series


http://tfe4.wordpress.com/graphics-and-sound-mods/panzer-campaigns-and-other-hps-titles/


The last mod on the list of East Front Panzer Campaign games improves the 2D graphics of the Mius mod.  Most of the other mods on the list require that you install Volcano Man's mod first (which you should always do if available because his _alt scenarios are more realistic than the out of the box versions.

Operational games are not everybody's cup of tea.  I happen to like them because I grew up playing board games where a division was represented by a single counter.  In the Panzer Campaign games you get a better sense of what a division really is.