GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Al on February 26, 2014, 11:50:48 AM

Title: Preview of J Tiller Panzer Battles
Post by: Al on February 26, 2014, 11:50:48 AM
Was sent a link to a nice preview of this game.

http://kriegsimulation.blogspot.com/ (http://kriegsimulation.blogspot.com/)

The title is Panzer Battles Kursk Southern Front
Title: Re: Preview of J Tiller Panzer Battles
Post by: JC______ on February 26, 2014, 12:01:36 PM
You beat me to it!  :)

Thanks for the link to my blog, Al ! :)

An AAR will be up soon.

JC (AKA Chelco)
Title: Re: Preview of J Tiller Panzer Battles
Post by: Ubercat on February 26, 2014, 01:48:37 PM
Those map graphics look awesome. I hope to heck that they upgrade the Panzer Campaigns games to the same standard.
Title: Re: Preview of J Tiller Panzer Battles
Post by: ComradeP on February 26, 2014, 02:13:46 PM
They will, but it will take time. These graphics are a further step up from the graphics of the mobile PzC titles that were released recently.
Title: Re: Preview of J Tiller Panzer Battles
Post by: Al on February 26, 2014, 07:04:00 PM
Here's a link to the designer's notes and a FAQ that you can look at.  Might help in your decision making.

https://www.nortonzone.com/pickup/115894?key=qgG_WBfIvAth226T1ZRcYpqB1uGH_yOljk9u62nkLgS2HXsRgCRSHAQ2zT7g8XHj&src=url (https://www.nortonzone.com/pickup/115894?key=qgG_WBfIvAth226T1ZRcYpqB1uGH_yOljk9u62nkLgS2HXsRgCRSHAQ2zT7g8XHj&src=url)

Title: Re: Preview of J Tiller Panzer Battles
Post by: Staggerwing on February 26, 2014, 08:19:04 PM
Quote from: JC______ on February 26, 2014, 12:01:36 PM
You beat me to it!  :)

Thanks for the link to my blog, Al ! :)

An AAR will be up soon.

JC (AKA Chelco)

Chelco! 'Bout time! Welcome to Grogheads!
Title: Re: Preview of J Tiller Panzer Battles
Post by: JC______ on February 26, 2014, 08:31:56 PM
LOL. I know. Thanks!  :)

Title: Re: Preview of J Tiller Panzer Battles
Post by: Al on February 27, 2014, 03:42:15 PM
Quote from: Ubercat on February 26, 2014, 01:48:37 PM
Those map graphics look awesome. I hope to heck that they upgrade the Panzer Campaigns games to the same standard.

I thought that the map graphics for at least some of the Panzer Campaign title had been upgraded.  If you check over at the JTSC website, select a Panzer Campaign title and then go to it's products page there will be some screenshots which will show whether it has the new map graphics or not.  I didn't look at all titles but the only one I saw not upgraded was the Tunisia '43 title.

I do hope that they release a map upgrade patch for all titles soon.   :P
Title: Re: Preview of J Tiller Panzer Battles
Post by: JC______ on February 28, 2014, 02:01:32 AM
I've just posted an AAR of one of the scenarios.

http://kriegsimulation.blogspot.com/2014/02/panzer-battles-kursk-southern-flank-aar.html (http://kriegsimulation.blogspot.com/2014/02/panzer-battles-kursk-southern-flank-aar.html)

Cheers,

JC (AKA Chelco)
Title: Re: Preview of J Tiller Panzer Battles
Post by: Grim.Reaper on February 28, 2014, 05:03:55 AM
Sounds like from the aar the release of the game is just "hours" away....
Title: Re: Preview of J Tiller Panzer Battles
Post by: Zulu1966 on February 28, 2014, 08:27:51 AM
Tis out. And a nice little demo for squad battles Based on the invasion of Grenada.
Title: Re: Preview of J Tiller Panzer Battles
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 28, 2014, 09:28:27 AM
Quote from: Zulu1966 on February 28, 2014, 08:27:51 AM
Tis out. And a nice little demo for squad battles Based on the invasion of Grenada.

Is there going to be a release of SB: Grenada, or is it just the demo?
Title: Re: Preview of J Tiller Panzer Battles
Post by: Zulu1966 on February 28, 2014, 10:12:01 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 28, 2014, 09:28:27 AM
Quote from: Zulu1966 on February 28, 2014, 08:27:51 AM
Tis out. And a nice little demo for squad battles Based on the invasion of Grenada.

Is there going to be a release of SB: Grenada, or is it just the demo?

Well, when I say demo - its pretty much a full game. All functionality and ten scenarios. And free.
Title: Re: Preview of J Tiller Panzer Battles
Post by: Bison on February 28, 2014, 05:26:18 PM
Oh man I'm going to have some 'spainin to do the wife about an odd charge to the credit card this weekend. 
Title: Re: Preview of J Tiller Panzer Battles
Post by: smittyohio on February 28, 2014, 05:53:52 PM
From the website:  A game scale of 1 hex equal to 250 meters, 1 turn equal to 30 minutes, with platoon and section size units.

I'm trying to reconcile in my mind how 250 meter hexes and a 30 minute turn would work together.   Weren't the campaign series games like 6 minutes at the same scale?

Title: Re: Preview of J Tiller Panzer Battles
Post by: Boggit on February 28, 2014, 06:52:47 PM
It's looking very nice. 8)
Title: Re: Preview of J Tiller Panzer Battles
Post by: jomni on February 28, 2014, 09:05:35 PM
Played the starter mission.  I like what I see.   It seems to be an updated Campaign Series which counts manpower instead of steps.  But of course Campaign Series still has the most scenarios.
Title: Re: Preview of J Tiller Panzer Battles
Post by: -budd- on February 28, 2014, 09:18:27 PM
we need an AAR or a lets play video.....this looks good.
Title: Re: Preview of J Tiller Panzer Battles
Post by: Grim.Reaper on February 28, 2014, 09:36:27 PM
Quote from: -budd- on February 28, 2014, 09:18:27 PM
we need an AAR or a lets play video.....this looks good.

http://kriegsimulation.blogspot.com/2014/02/panzer-battles-kursk-southern-flank-aar.html
Title: Re: Preview of J Tiller Panzer Battles
Post by: panzerde on February 28, 2014, 11:39:08 PM
I played a fair amount of this tonight. I am very, very impressed with this. The map and counter art is a great improvement. Game scale is very enjoyable. The wealth of background material and documentation is a real treat! The focus on a grand tactical depiction of specific engagements makes the scenario size and length playable in a single sitting and not overwhelming like some Panzer Campaigns scenarios can get. There are some subtle, but much appreciated improvements to the tried and true Tiller game engine.

I'll have an AAR up sometime tomorrow.
Title: Re: Preview of J Tiller Panzer Battles
Post by: -budd- on March 01, 2014, 01:44:31 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 28, 2014, 09:36:27 PM
Quote from: -budd- on February 28, 2014, 09:18:27 PM
we need an AAR or a lets play video.....this looks good.

http://kriegsimulation.blogspot.com/2014/02/panzer-battles-kursk-southern-flank-aar.html

Thank you Sir.
Title: Re: Preview of J Tiller Panzer Battles
Post by: ComradeP on March 01, 2014, 01:54:49 AM
QuoteFrom the website:  A game scale of 1 hex equal to 250 meters, 1 turn equal to 30 minutes, with platoon and section size units.

I'm trying to reconcile in my mind how 250 meter hexes and a 30 minute turn would work together.   Weren't the campaign series games like 6 minutes at the same scale?

I didn't really like the campaign series because everything seemed to move too fast for the timescale, so for me this is an ideal scale. It's consistent with the Squad Battles and Panzer Campaigns scale, but not with the Campaign Series scale.

If you're coming from the Campaign Series, that may seem odd and will take some getting used to, but the scale works well thus far.
Title: Re: Preview of J Tiller Panzer Battles
Post by: smittyohio on March 01, 2014, 07:59:42 AM
Quote from: ComradeP on March 01, 2014, 01:54:49 AM
QuoteFrom the website:  A game scale of 1 hex equal to 250 meters, 1 turn equal to 30 minutes, with platoon and section size units.

I'm trying to reconcile in my mind how 250 meter hexes and a 30 minute turn would work together.   Weren't the campaign series games like 6 minutes at the same scale?

I didn't really like the campaign series because everything seemed to move too fast for the timescale, so for me this is an ideal scale. It's consistent with the Squad Battles and Panzer Campaigns scale, but not with the Campaign Series scale.

If you're coming from the Campaign Series, that may seem odd and will take some getting used to, but the scale works well thus far.

Thanks! It's good to know the system works well.   I do admit I've thought the 6 minute turns did allow too much movement, at least for infantry, but was just surprised it jumped all the way to 30.
Title: Re: Preview of J Tiller Panzer Battles
Post by: MengJiao on March 01, 2014, 09:25:23 PM
Quote from: ComradeP on March 01, 2014, 01:54:49 AM
QuoteFrom the website:  A game scale of 1 hex equal to 250 meters, 1 turn equal to 30 minutes, with platoon and section size units.

I'm trying to reconcile in my mind how 250 meter hexes and a 30 minute turn would work together.   Weren't the campaign series games like 6 minutes at the same scale?

I didn't really like the campaign series because everything seemed to move too fast for the timescale, so for me this is an ideal scale. It's consistent with the Squad Battles and Panzer Campaigns scale, but not with the Campaign Series scale.

If you're coming from the Campaign Series, that may seem odd and will take some getting used to, but the scale works well thus far.

  Its a bit abstract, but it works beautifully.  Fantastic game!
Title: Re: Preview of J Tiller Panzer Battles
Post by: Nefaro on March 01, 2014, 10:03:29 PM
Quote from: ComradeP on March 01, 2014, 01:54:49 AM
QuoteFrom the website:  A game scale of 1 hex equal to 250 meters, 1 turn equal to 30 minutes, with platoon and section size units.

I'm trying to reconcile in my mind how 250 meter hexes and a 30 minute turn would work together.   Weren't the campaign series games like 6 minutes at the same scale?

I didn't really like the campaign series because everything seemed to move too fast for the timescale, so for me this is an ideal scale. It's consistent with the Squad Battles and Panzer Campaigns scale, but not with the Campaign Series scale.

If you're coming from the Campaign Series, that may seem odd and will take some getting used to, but the scale works well thus far.

The game scale seems passable to me.  Keep in mind that your units can shoot & move numerous hexes every turn, so they're not just moving a single 250m hex every 30 minute turn, nor limited to firing that far.  The time scale may possibly be a bit long but I guess they're trying to represent combat conditions and not a race at full speed.
Title: Re: Preview of J Tiller Panzer Battles
Post by: jomni on March 01, 2014, 11:01:59 PM
Time and distance are not so obvious to me.  If no one told me that Campaign Series is 6 mins and Panzer Battles is 30 mins, I would think they're the same.  All that matters to me are how many turns left and how many actions I can make.
Title: Re: Preview of J Tiller Panzer Battles
Post by: Bison on March 01, 2014, 11:07:00 PM
Quote from: jomni on March 01, 2014, 11:01:59 PM
Time and distance are not so obvious to me.  If no one told me that Campaign Series is 6 mins and Panzer Battles is 30 mins, I would think they're the same.  All that matters to me are how many turns left and how many actions I can make.

Completely agree.