GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: bboyer66 on February 27, 2014, 08:32:11 AM

Title: Things I learned this week
Post by: bboyer66 on February 27, 2014, 08:32:11 AM
 Banished= Your families will not reproduce unless you build new housing. No procreation unless you build new housing due to the crowded conditiions I guess. Too bad I didnt know this till most of my colony was in their 40s.

DAY Z= Still stinks. Just trying to pickup things and discard them is a chore. Last night I picked up a defibulator and could not put it down. Then I got knocked out by someone over and over, because I couldnt punch back because I couldnt discard the defibulator. Just a broke game that still has a lot of kinks to work out.

ARMAIII= Has some great user made single player scenarios available from the STEAM workshop. Played a user made scenario where you had to fight your way to a downed Blackhawk crew and extract them. Good edge of your seat, street fighting action.

World of Tanks= British tier VI arty is a blast. The thing is faster than most scouts and about the same size. Only problem is the range which is very short for an arty piece.
Title: Re: Things I learned this week
Post by: Gusington on February 27, 2014, 08:47:45 AM
I would have paid 5 dollah to see that DAY Z scenario.
Title: Re: Things I learned this week
Post by: undercovergeek on February 27, 2014, 08:52:30 AM
Quote from: bboyer66 on February 27, 2014, 08:32:11 AM
Banished= Your families will not reproduce unless you build new housing. No procreation unless you build new housing due to the crowded conditiions I guess. Too bad I didnt know this till most of my colony was in their 40s.



would you want to do it in front of your parents?

they will surprisingly get it on at 12 or 13 though
Title: Re: Things I learned this week
Post by: bboyer66 on February 27, 2014, 10:14:11 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on February 27, 2014, 08:52:30 AM
Quote from: bboyer66 on February 27, 2014, 08:32:11 AM
Banished= Your families will not reproduce unless you build new housing. No procreation unless you build new housing due to the crowded conditiions I guess. Too bad I didnt know this till most of my colony was in their 40s.



would you want to do it in front of your parents?

they will surprisingly get it on at 12 or 13 though


My school teacher had it pretty easy. She only had two pupils.
Title: Re: Things I learned this week
Post by: Rayfer on February 27, 2014, 11:29:48 AM
I learned the value of these forums. Banished was a game I was watching but now that it's out and I have read the comments on this site and other reviews I realized it was a game I didn't want.   
Title: Re: Things I learned this week
Post by: bboyer66 on February 27, 2014, 12:12:53 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on February 27, 2014, 11:29:48 AM
I learned the value of these forums. Banished was a game I was watching but now that it's out and I have read the comments on this site and other reviews I realized it was a game I didn't want.

The best part of Banished is the pace. You can customize it to your liking. At x1 speed its very slow and methodical, no rushing. You can go faster from there.  My biggest complaint is that all the buildings look rather similar. Would recommend it if you have any interest in city builders.

Title: Re: Things I learned this week
Post by: Rayfer on February 27, 2014, 01:01:01 PM
Quote from: bboyer66 on February 27, 2014, 12:12:53 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on February 27, 2014, 11:29:48 AM
I learned the value of these forums. Banished was a game I was watching but now that it's out and I have read the comments on this site and other reviews I realized it was a game I didn't want.

The best part of Banished is the pace. You can customize it to your liking. At x1 speed its very slow and methodical, no rushing. You can go faster from there.  My biggest complaint is that all the buildings look rather similar. Would recommend it if you have any interest in city builders.

Haven't played the game so my following comments are more questions arising from comments I've read.  Sounds like there is a very narrow path one must follow, i.e. ratio of one building to another, docks to people, etc. and that if you deviate even slightly from that template you are doomed.  Is there a wider path that allows for experimentation and creativity that still allows you to survive or is it follow the narrow path or die?
Title: Re: Things I learned this week
Post by: bboyer66 on February 27, 2014, 01:15:45 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on February 27, 2014, 01:01:01 PM
Quote from: bboyer66 on February 27, 2014, 12:12:53 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on February 27, 2014, 11:29:48 AM
I learned the value of these forums. Banished was a game I was watching but now that it's out and I have read the comments on this site and other reviews I realized it was a game I didn't want.

The best part of Banished is the pace. You can customize it to your liking. At x1 speed its very slow and methodical, no rushing. You can go faster from there.  My biggest complaint is that all the buildings look rather similar. Would recommend it if you have any interest in city builders.

Haven't played the game so my following comments are more questions arising from comments I've read.  Sounds like there is a very narrow path one must follow, i.e. ratio of one building to another, docks to people, etc. and that if you deviate even slightly from that template you are doomed.  Is there a wider path that allows for experimentation and creativity that still allows you to survive or is it follow the narrow path or die?

Considering I just kind of played my first game by ear, I dont know if there is a set path or I just got lucky. My town had plenty of food, wood, stone, etc, and I had no idea what the heck I was really doing. The tutorial was my only real guide. My only mistake was not building additional housing to grow my population. There is room for experimentation as I never even built a farm of any type. Just gatherers, fishing, and hunting. Im sure I could have gone the other way and built farms instead. Really the goal of the game is to increase your population, and the way you do that is going to be different based on what the  randomly generated map gives you.
Title: Re: Things I learned this week
Post by: Yskonyn on February 27, 2014, 02:28:17 PM
I learned that I really need to set my priorities regarding game time.
I went back to CM, SotS 2, RTW, BF4 and Simulators and I feel happy! No more buying new games just because its the next public hit.
I will focus on strategy games and simulators.