Distant Worlds: Universe annouced!
http://www.slitherine.com/news/item861
Sweet! Will those of us the own all of the earlier releases get a price break?
This isn't gonna be some re-release where patch support is dropped for the previous stuff, is it? ???
Exisiting owners get a discount indeed. That has been confirmed by Rutins on the DW forums.
As for patch support, I have no clue.
I already own all the previous releases, so I'd really only want the new campaign. I wonder if that will be an option... ???
I don't care what it does, like any TW game or crusader king DLC , I will buy it anyway...cause I will convince myself I neeeeeeds it
Quote from: mikeck on March 14, 2014, 03:20:52 PM
I don't care what it does, like any TW game or crusader king DLC , I will buy it anyway...cause I will convince myself I neeeeeeds it
My precious!
So being released on Steam. $59.99, $49.99 pre-order. $10 off for each prior installment through Matrix. Steam keys provided. Releases May 23rd.
Quote from: vyshka on May 15, 2014, 01:19:03 PM
So being released on Steam. $59.99, $49.99 pre-order. $10 off for each prior installment through Matrix. Steam keys provided. Releases May 23rd.
Wooooohooooo!!!
...so $10 to upgrade during the post-release promotion period if you have the base game and all the addons then. :D (just noticed the new emoticons). I'll probably do it for $10...
Quote
We will also be offering existing customers a discount based on what parts of the series they own. It's a $10 discount per release, so if you own everything that's been released so far (Distant Worlds + Return of the Shakturi + Legends + Shadows) then during the post-release promotion period, your price to upgrade to Universe would be $9.99 Download or $19.99 Physical ($49.99 or $59.99 - $40 discount for four previous releases). There will be a page on our site where you can get the upgrade discount coupon. This upgrade will be available through our store only, we don't have a way of doing this through Steam. All you will need to get the upgrade coupon is the serial number for each release.
We plan for there to be one more Shadows update, but all future modding/feature/performance improvements will be based on the Universe level.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=3610084
For those of you that have the preceding games to this already - what is it like? Is it a must-buy? I've heard a few good things .
Wonder if I can get the $10 upgrade through Matrix and stay outside of Steam?
Yes, the only way to do the upgrade is through Matrix, and there is no requirement to grab a steam key.
Excellent news...
By the by, a new trailer:
Quote from: steve58 on May 15, 2014, 01:29:10 PM
...so $10 to upgrade during the post-release promotion period if you have the base game and all the addons then. :D (just noticed the new emoticons). I'll probably do it for $10...
Quote
We will also be offering existing customers a discount based on what parts of the series they own. It's a $10 discount per release, so if you own everything that's been released so far (Distant Worlds + Return of the Shakturi + Legends + Shadows) then during the post-release promotion period, your price to upgrade to Universe would be $9.99 Download or $19.99 Physical ($49.99 or $59.99 - $40 discount for four previous releases). There will be a page on our site where you can get the upgrade discount coupon. This upgrade will be available through our store only, we don't have a way of doing this through Steam. All you will need to get the upgrade coupon is the serial number for each release.
We plan for there to be one more Shadows update, but all future modding/feature/performance improvements will be based on the Universe level.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=3610084
Sweet!!!!
Quote from: Ian C on May 15, 2014, 01:54:29 PM
For those of you that have the preceding games to this already - what is it like? Is it a must-buy? I've heard a few good things .
It's awesome. And yes, it's a must-buy. :) I'd happily elaborate if my sleeping pills weren't kicking in right now (and I was therefore about 5 seconds away from the Land of Nod)...
Quote from: steve58 on May 15, 2014, 01:29:10 PM
...so $10 to upgrade during the post-release promotion period if you have the base game and all the addons then. :D (just noticed the new emoticons). I'll probably do it for $10...
There's new emoticons? Finally! :smitten: But it looks like only just a few were added. :-\
That said, I guess it's time to get re-acquainted with this title.
The NDA has been lifted so if anyone has any questions related to modding I will do my best to answer them.
Darkspire
Quote from: Darkspire on May 15, 2014, 11:21:02 PM
The NDA has been lifted so if anyone has any questions related to modding I will do my best to answer them.
Darkspire
Universe is a day one buy for me but I'd like to hear your general thoughts on expansion and modding? I haven't read through the entire modding guide myself, and from what I have read there is a lot more open to us, but from watching DAS's videos I got the impression there where still some limitations.
First off you have to understand that DW was never intended to be opened in this manner regards modding, every expansion has added a little more to the mix.
Universe has turned DW into a 4x engine as best it can within the confines of the first point. The base dynamics are not open, like the AI but if you want make a theme that covers a particular setting, Star Trak, Stargate etc or just change things to just make your own version of how things should be you can more than do that, for example, one of the main things that has often been mentioned was the fact that once a Gerax Drive was researched the Galaxy, even on a 15x15, was completely open and any sector could be reached, any drives after that were just faster / use less energy, that was one of the first things I changed, now the drives for me are scaled so the range also gets better as you progress. This was accomplished by altering the new components.txt.
You can create your own resource types now, so if you added a Naquadah reactor (Stargate) in the components.txt you could then create your own fuel type, Naquadah, in the resources.txt for it to run on.
Colonies can now produce manufactured goods, a special resource that is only available at colonies, these appear when a colony reachs a certain development level and population, hence you now have the possibility of creating hi-tech colonies, they can also be used in the makeup for a component, by setting them to be a strategic resource, manufactured goods can also be set as a luxury good, these in turn will help the development level of a colony which in turn will help cash flow, which should help on the higher difficulty settings. For example, I created a warp drive that amongst the resources needed were manufactured goods, namely, Warp Core, Matrix Node etc, these were added to the resources.txt and then the drive was added to the research tree in research.txt. I have always wanted to get a 4x time with these added, with much juggling from Elliot after the idea was presented these are now a reality and are a first for 4x games and add a new layer of depth for the colonies.
I could go on for hours on what has been opened, if you are familiar with modding in Shadows you will be more than happy with what you can do now, have a look at the index for Shadows and compare it to Universe. I am really impressed with it, I actually feel like DW has more or less become clay and can be sculpted how you want, all the files work off each other more or less, like the ones I have mentioned, raceBiases, now also works in conjunction with raceFamilies and raceFamilyBiases which allows a much tighter control of how the races interact, add that to fact you can now create governments, which also has a bias file you can really make races work more how you want them to in relations with others.
Most of the GFX have been opened up and that is reflected in the new theme structure, no longer do you have to write over the master files, a theme in Universe really is a theme now.
I am none to hot on writing this sort of thing, I can explain the how to mod just not the what you can mod, but I have tried to give you a good feel for what can be accomplished.
Darkspire
I haven't played DW since the expansion before last - Heroes, I think - was released, what, 2 years ago? I'm really looking forward to getting this and jumping back in the saddle agian.
I'm not a modder. So other than modding, what new material does this release offer?
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 16, 2014, 11:52:19 PM
I'm not a modder. So other than modding, what new material does this release offer?
This.
While being a much easier purchase at $10, I'm still wondering what other changes have been made besides the modding structure.
Quote from: Nefaro on May 17, 2014, 02:30:53 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 16, 2014, 11:52:19 PM
I'm not a modder. So other than modding, what new material does this release offer?
This.
While being a much easier purchase at $10, I'm still wondering what other changes have been made besides the modding structure.
Plus 1
Well I guess you will be able to "consume" the mods that are manufactured by the modders.
Quote from: jomni on May 17, 2014, 03:41:12 AM
Well I guess you will be able to "consume" the mods that are manufactured by the modders.
There is a new theme 'The Ancient Galaxy' that deals with the DW storyline before all the others, many tweaks to the game engine to improve performance and many new features in the modding, so if you are not a modder then the themes created by others will contain them.
Darkspire
Quote from: Darkspire on May 17, 2014, 06:08:53 AM
Quote from: jomni on May 17, 2014, 03:41:12 AM
Well I guess you will be able to "consume" the mods that are manufactured by the modders.
There is a new theme 'The Ancient Galaxy' that deals with the DW storyline before all the others, many tweaks to the game engine to improve performance and many new features in the modding, so if you are not a modder then the themes created by others will contain them.
Darkspire
Sounds a little lack luster to someone like me. Did they even add anything new to show what the modding suite is capable of?
Quote from: Darkspire on May 17, 2014, 06:08:53 AM
Quote from: jomni on May 17, 2014, 03:41:12 AM
Well I guess you will be able to "consume" the mods that are manufactured by the modders.
There is a new theme 'The Ancient Galaxy' that deals with the DW storyline before all the others, many tweaks to the game engine to improve performance and many new features in the modding, so if you are not a modder then the themes created by others will contain them.
Darkspire
Isn't there a patch coming out at the same time that would presumably include all of the engine upgrades? I'm not into the storylines nor the mods so will I get these updates with just the patch?
QuoteSounds a little lack luster to someone like me. Did they even add anything new to show what the modding suite is capable of?
The new theme contains some of the new features.
I do apologize, I am a modder / coder not a sales person, I did say I could help with questions on the new modding capabilities not sell the new features, I did the best I could with the post a few up to explain about things. I would go and have a look at the new Universe page over at Matrix to get a better view of things, that has a full list of features and new content.
Darkspire
Quote from: Darkspire on May 17, 2014, 08:50:42 AM
QuoteSounds a little lack luster to someone like me. Did they even add anything new to show what the modding suite is capable of?
The new theme contains some of the new features.
I do apologize, I am a modder / coder not a sales person, I did say I could help with questions on the new modding capabilities not sell the new features, I did the best I could with the post a few up to explain about things. I would go and have a look at the new Universe page over at Matrix to get a better view of things, that has a full list of features and new content.
Darkspire
You don't have to be a sales person to speak freely about a game that you beta tested and have knowledge about. Nobody is asking you to sell the game, we're just looking for information...you know, that is kind of what a forum is for. What's with the attitude?
Universe draws all the expansions together, and adds the Ancient Galaxy as a new expansion. There's lots of other stuff too, but that's probably the most significant bit. I heard that there are discounts for people owning the base game, and expansions, but the level of discount will relate to how much of the franchise you already have. I thought it a pretty fair way to go, so veteran players don't feel they've ended up paying twice over if they stick with the franchise.
Quote from: Darkspire on May 17, 2014, 08:50:42 AM
QuoteSounds a little lack luster to someone like me. Did they even add anything new to show what the modding suite is capable of?
The new theme contains some of the new features.
I do apologize, I am a modder / coder not a sales person, I did say I could help with questions on the new modding capabilities not sell the new features, I did the best I could with the post a few up to explain about things. I would go and have a look at the new Universe page over at Matrix to get a better view of things, that has a full list of features and new content.
Darkspire
Ok, I'll take a look. It's only $11 and probably worth it if only to be able to use some of the mods that will be a available
QuoteYou don't have to be a sales person to speak freely about a game that you beta tested and have knowledge about. Nobody is asking you to sell the game, we're just looking for information...you know, that is kind of what a forum is for. What's with the attitude?
No attitude, honest O:-)
I had a bit of an accident on Thursday, in a lot of pain, maybe that is reflecting in my words, sorry for that. I did my best to outline a few of the new things in the large post I made, there are some great new features, I was just trying to get across that I can help with questions on the modding capabilities, I was working with all the new text file sections and general bug bashing, there are a whole slew of new features in the editor for example that I have only scratched the surface of, I am just better at explaining what you can do with it rather than what is in it, sorry bud if I have offended you.
Darkspire
Quote from: Darkspire on May 17, 2014, 10:15:01 AM
QuoteYou don't have to be a sales person to speak freely about a game that you beta tested and have knowledge about. Nobody is asking you to sell the game, we're just looking for information...you know, that is kind of what a forum is for. What's with the attitude?
No attitude, honest O:-)
I had a bit of an accident on Thursday, in a lot of pain, maybe that is reflecting in my words, sorry for that. I did my best to outline a few of the new things in the large post I made, there are some great new features, I was just trying to get across that I can help with questions on the modding capabilities, I was working with all the new text file sections and general bug bashing, there are a whole slew of new features in the editor for example that I have only scratched the surface of, I am just better at explaining what you can do with it rather than what is in it, sorry bud if I have offended you.
Darkspire
No offense. Thought something might be bugging you.
What happened? Are you ok?
Ummm...need a good lawyer?
I have problems with seeing in light, I bumped into a lamppost, fell, got clipped by a car and then bounced into a metal pillar, upper right chest is a bit banged up, on meds but they are really not covering the pain. I am always having accidents in the brighter months, generally not as bad as this though. I am used to working out in the early mornings, have not been able to obviously, that doesn't help much either. Thanks for the words.
Darkspire
Quote from: Darkspire on May 17, 2014, 10:48:40 AM
I have problems with seeing in light, I bumped into a lamppost, fell, got clipped by a car and then bounced into a metal pillar, upper right chest is a bit banged up, on meds but they are really not covering the pain. I am always having accidents in the brighter months, generally not as bad as this though. I am used to working out in the early mornings, have not been able to obviously, that doesn't help much either. Thanks for the words.
Darkspire
I hope you make a speedy recovery. I'm sorry you are in pain. :(
Quote from: Darkspire on May 17, 2014, 10:48:40 AM
I have problems with seeing in light, I bumped into a lamppost, fell, got clipped by a car and then bounced into a metal pillar, upper right chest is a bit banged up, on meds but they are really not covering the pain. I am always having accidents in the brighter months, generally not as bad as this though. I am used to working out in the early mornings, have not been able to obviously, that doesn't help much either. Thanks for the words.
Darkspire
Geez man. Hope you heal up quickly.
And try to avoid Human Pinball in the future. :o
Get better soon Darkspire.
Hope you feel better soon, Darkspire.
Sorry to hear about your accident, Darkspire. I second the well-wishes in your recovery.
I'm glad we're finally getting the chance to play the Ancient Galaxy campaign ourselves in Universe. I'd say that's worth $10 (especially along with whatever other improvements get included). :)
Get well soon Darkspire.
This is out tomorrow. I'm willing to pull the trigger based on the favourable comments I've read and the vids I've seen on Youtube.
Anyone have anything more to add? I'm not looking for faults but comments on how awesome this game is, thanks.
Quote from: Ian C on May 22, 2014, 09:20:12 AM
Get well soon Darkspire.
This is out tomorrow. I'm willing to pull the trigger based on the favourable comments I've read and the vids I've seen on Youtube.
Anyone have anything more to add? I'm not looking for faults but comments on how awesome this game is, thanks.
Well, it's one of the few games that never comes off my hard drive and that I frequently return to to play again and again. Micro-manage to any degree of complexity you want, control everything or nothing or anywhere in between. My favorite part is the research and fleet management.
Quote from: Ian C on May 22, 2014, 09:20:12 AM
Get well soon Darkspire.
This is out tomorrow. I'm willing to pull the trigger based on the favourable comments I've read and the vids I've seen on Youtube.
Anyone have anything more to add? I'm not looking for faults but comments on how awesome this game is, thanks.
Steam has the manual up as of today , if you want to check that out.
I was hoping I could avoid blowing yet more cash on games but don't think I'm going to be able to resist... Steam just makes it all so easy. Haven't played DW in a long time -- in fact never picked up any of the expansions -- so looking forward to diving into the fully matured, tricked-out version of DW over the weekend.
Also, best wishes for your recovery, Darkspire -- that is a nasty turn of events.
That's it - I'm revved up for this. Bring on tomorrow.
Just so you know you don't have to buy through steam, here is what Eric says on the DW forum.
"Yes, if you purchase/upgrade through our store we will offer a Steam key as well. We and Elliot earn the most revenue when you purchase directly through us, but we want to make DW available to the larger community and many new players as well, while offering the most flexibility to our existing community. There will be a page on our site to use your Universe serial number to retrieve a Steam key after you purchase Universe.
Regards,
- Erik"
If I buy it will be through the Matrix site.
Quote from: Ian C on May 22, 2014, 11:53:31 AM
That's it - I'm revved up for this. Bring on tomorrow.
You won't regret it. This is one of the real jewels among space 4x titles.
Quote from: sandman2575 on May 22, 2014, 12:41:23 PM
Quote from: Ian C on May 22, 2014, 11:53:31 AM
That's it - I'm revved up for this. Bring on tomorrow.
You won't regret it. This is one of the real jewels among space 4x titles.
Thank you - I'm looking forward to it. It's unusual that I miss a game that's a real classic but discovering one all over from scratch is a rare experience –and a really fun one.
Recently had the same thing happen with a sci-fi series I've never seen before - Farscape (and I'm rapidly becoming a Claudia Black fan).
Back to Universe, I can't wait. I don't know how this slipped passed me.
Quote from: Ian C on May 22, 2014, 12:56:25 PM
Quote from: sandman2575 on May 22, 2014, 12:41:23 PM
Quote from: Ian C on May 22, 2014, 11:53:31 AM
That's it - I'm revved up for this. Bring on tomorrow.
You won't regret it. This is one of the real jewels among space 4x titles.
Thank you - I'm looking forward to it. It's unusual that I miss a game that's a real classic but discovering one all over from scratch is a rare experience –and a really fun one.
Recently had the same thing happen with a sci-fi series I've never seen before - Farscape (and I'm rapidly becoming a Claudia Black fan).
Back to Universe, I can't wait. I don't know how this slipped passed me.
Farscape was an awesome series. I mourned when it was cancelled.
There's a great bit in the last season of
Stargate SG1 where they insert a little
Farscape parody which includes both Ben Browder and Claudia Black (who had joined the SG1 cast by then):
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 22, 2014, 01:09:05 PM
Farscape was an awesome series. I mourned when it was cancelled.
They are showing it on a channel from season 1 onwards one episiode per weekday so I'm discovering it for the first time. It's one of those rare show that everyone goes on about and you say "yeah...whatever.." and then you see it and it changes your mind. Like Buffy. That was also a real surprise.
Quote from: Staggerwing on May 22, 2014, 09:06:40 PM
There's a great bit in the last season of Stargate SG1 where they insert a little Farscape parody which includes both Ben Browder and Claudia Black (who had joined the SG1 cast by then)
Ha!
Two questions about Distant Planets:
1. Space Monsters on or off for my first game? What do they add strategically (or tactically) ?
2. What is the hi-res planet graphics mod I read about? There is one in particular that has been mentioned on some vids.
Thanks.
I have always played with monsters off. Too cartoony for me -- giant space scorpions floating around gas planets... A bit of an immersion killer, IMO.
Just my 2 cents. Didn't know about the high res mod -- now I'm intrigued.
It's up now over at the Matrix store, if you don't want to wait for Steam to unlock it. Saved games should be compatible from one version to the other.
http://www.matrixgames.com/news/1430/Distant.Worlds:.Universe.Release.Today
Quote
It is today that Distant Worlds: Universe will hit the Matrix, Slitherine and Steam Stores. Distant Worlds: Universe is the latest in the popular Distant Worlds Series. The game will be available on our stores around 12.00 GMT and the Steam release will be around 4.00PM PDT. Distant Worlds: Universe combines all previous content in a single $60 package and expends on it by adding the Ancient Galaxy storyline, lots of balance changes and technical improvements and vastly expanded modding capabilities, making this the ultimate Distant Worlds experience! To celebrate this joyous occasion, we are giving you a $10 discount for everyone who purchases Distant Worlds: Universe within the first week of release.
Upgrade
For those who already own one or more games/expansions in the Distant Worlds series, we have created a system for you to upgrade to Universe. You will be able to get a $10 discount for every Distant Worlds game/expansion you own. This means that, if you Distant Worlds plus all three expansions, you will be able to generate a $40 coupon code for Distant Worlds: Universe. This is then added to the $10 release discount we are giving for a total of $50 off the regular price.
In order to generate this coupon, you must register your Distant Worlds content on the Matrix games Members Club. After you have done this, click the "My discount coupons" button on the right side. Here you will be able to get your coupon.
Note:Make sure to register ALL your Distant Worlds content before generating the coupon. It can only be done once, so if you do it before you registered all Distant Worlds keys, you will not be able to use the full discount!
After you have your discount, just add Universe to your card and enter the coupon code when required.
This upgrade system will remain in place until the end of August.
Steam
Today (or Saturday, depending on where you live), Distant Worlds: Universe will also be released on Steam. Everyone who buys Universe from our own stores will be able to redeem their Steam keys as soon as the game is released there. In order to do this, you must register your copy here (http://slitherine.com/login?return_url=/my_page/serials). Next you can click the "Steam Keys" button in your profile page (on Slitherine.com) and press "Redeem Key". You now have a Distant Worlds: Universe key you can activate on Steam.
Done.... Purchased and have redeemed Steam Key and received discount. O0
PE
Done. Purchased, downloaded, and installed.
Quote from: Ian C on May 23, 2014, 04:06:30 AM
1. Space Monsters on or off for my first game? What do they add strategically (or tactically) ?
I generally turn them off. If you play with the story turned on, I would keep them since it explains their origins. The only problem with turning them down is that their is a Unique legendary creature that won't show up if you turn space creatures off. You can also adjust their frequency low or high instead of simply on or off.
Quote from: Ian C on May 23, 2014, 04:06:30 AM
2. What is the hi-res planet graphics mod I read about? There is one in particular that has been mentioned on some vids.
Think there are a few of them floating around on the Matrix forum. Here is one I found:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2537349 (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2537349)
It might be a bit out of date, with universe you might be able to install it in a theme folder without replacing the default images.
So, to also get a Steam key, you must register your DW:U serial number at Slitherine.com as well [which is currently having issues apparently]...yet another login/password to keep track of... :-\
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3615511
Hi Guys! I've just received this press release today
Matrix Games Press Announcement
For Immediate Release
The Universe is in Your Hands!
New Distant Worlds stand alone series package adds modding, storyline and also releases on Steam
Arlington, VT, May 23, 2014.
After months of beta-testing, Distant Worlds: Universe is now on the launch pad. This sci-fi series praised as "a worthy successor to Master of Orion" (Eurogamer.dk), "a true space empire game" (Gamers Hall), "a small revolution in 4X strategy game" (PC4War), is bound to push the boundaries of the universe once more. Distant Worlds: Universe releases today on the Matrix Games Online Store as well as on Steam.
Distant Worlds Universe is a new release as well as the long-awaited stand-alone package that combines all previous Distant Worlds releases in a single kit and expands on it with plenty of balance changes, engine improvements and brand new modding tools that will allow the players to set up their ultimate customized sci-fi experience! This collector's edition also introduces a new storyline setting covering the ancient galaxy and the first war between the Freedom Alliance and the Shaktur Axis in which players will get access to powerful technologies and new weapons, including the ability to build planet destroyers.
In order to thank the Distant Worlds community which has been supporting the series for years now, we are pleased to announce that players will be able to get a $10 discount for every Distant Worlds game/expansion they own. All Universe owners are also eligible to receive a Steam Key. For a limited period of time, there is also a launch discount of $10 off the regular price on both stores in order to celebrate the release and the beginning of an exciting new chapter for Distant Worlds.
Get more information on Distant Worlds Universe from its epic trailer and its official product page.
Matrix Games is part of the Slitherine Group
About the Slitherine Group
The Slitherine Group is the world's leading producer and publisher of digital wargames and strategy games. Under the Slitherine (www.slitherine.com), Matrix Games (www.matrixgames.com) and Ageod (www.ageod.com) brands it has published literally hundreds of games, with many award-winning titles in its portfolio and spanning all digital platforms, from home consoles to modern Smartphone's and Tablets. Slitherine is also involved with book publishing, board gaming and works with a wide array of key licensing partners, such as HISTORY®, MILITARY HISTORY®, Games Workshop®, Horrible Histories™, Showtime, BBC, Osprey, Scholastic, Buzz Aldrin Enterprises and many others to deliver the best blend of historical accuracy in an exciting and entertaining way. Together the Group companies form the world's largest organization specializing in this important and vibrant niche. The Slitherine Group's mission over the coming years is to lead the way in innovation and growth in an ever expanding segment of the entertainment industry.
Quote from: steve58 on May 23, 2014, 11:29:28 AM
So, to also get a Steam key, you must register your DW:U serial number at Slitherine.com as well [which is currently having issues apparently]...yet another login/password to keep track of... :-\
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3615511
...got the Steam code finally. Had to resort to the "I forgot my password" link to get Slitherine to send me a password that worked.
Argh! Cannot purchase this just yet, as I'm still waiting for my new card to arrive (had to cancel the old one when a fraudulent charge appeared on my account).
I hate waiting.
Quote from: Martok on May 23, 2014, 01:31:59 PM
Argh! Cannot purchase this just yet, as I'm still waiting for my new card to arrive (had to cancel the old one when a fraudulent charge appeared on my account).
I hate waiting.
I have a similar problem...i have to pay what i owe to the card before using it again... :(
And its now unlocked on Steam.
Anguille :) Your avatar wobbles beautifully! :P Maybe you can get her to model for Sovereignty's Nymph artwork?? :smitten:
Quote from: Kushan on May 23, 2014, 06:15:59 PM
And its now unlocked on Steam.
Installed and ready for launch....
PE
Quote from: Boggit on May 23, 2014, 06:53:11 PM
Anguille :) Your avatar wobbles beautifully! :P Maybe you can get her to model for Sovereignty's Nymph artwork?? :smitten:
He has a knack for finding wobbly avatars!
Quote from: Boggit on May 23, 2014, 06:53:11 PM
Anguille :) Your avatar wobbles beautifully! :P Maybe you can get her to model for Sovereignty's Nymph artwork?? :smitten:
It seemed there was some popular demand for it... ;)
My quiet status up to now says it all.
Is there a Milky Way galaxy map with Earth starting position anywhere?
No but you can make one with the editor in Universe ;)
I would imagine that things will start being made fairly soon, once folks get the hang of things.
Random Bangers
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1125.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fl588%2FNecrospire%2Frachel-williams_zps40e57849.gif&hash=8253815b59c080304cc957af879ff2d2518e7bfc)
Darkspire
^ lol - she needs a support bra!
So Anguille - who is that beauty? Looks kinda italian
Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 24, 2014, 03:04:53 PM
^ lol - she needs a support bra!
So Anguille - who is that beauty? Looks kinda italian
I think you can find her under Christine Model in youtube...
That girl's been around the internet for quite a while. I recall a photo of her wearing a t-shirt that said: "Not Everything in Florida is Flat".
Never heard of or seen her
I picked up Distant Worlds: Universe on sale at Steam yesterday. Spent about two hours with hit today and I must say color me impressed with the gameplay. This is probably the most streamlined empire management system set in space. I like the game a lot.
My only complaint is that even on my new laptop this game takes a long time to load up. Makes me wonder how long other Matrix monster games like GGWITE take to load up.
Quote from: W8taminute on May 25, 2014, 04:22:18 PM
I picked up Distant Worlds: Universe on sale at Steam yesterday. Spent about two hours with hit today and I must say color me impressed with the gameplay. This is probably the most streamlined empire management system set in space. I like the game a lot.
My only complaint is that even on my new laptop this game takes a long time to load up. Makes me wonder how long other Matrix monster games like GGWITE take to load up.
WitE doesn't seem to take near as long to load. I'd say Distant Worlds is probably has the longest load time of all the Matrix/Slitherine games I've played.
Quote from: Nefaro on May 25, 2014, 04:51:40 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on May 25, 2014, 04:22:18 PM
I picked up Distant Worlds: Universe on sale at Steam yesterday. Spent about two hours with hit today and I must say color me impressed with the gameplay. This is probably the most streamlined empire management system set in space. I like the game a lot.
My only complaint is that even on my new laptop this game takes a long time to load up. Makes me wonder how long other Matrix monster games like GGWITE take to load up.
WitE doesn't seem to take near as long to load. I'd say Distant Worlds is probably has the longest load time of all the Matrix/Slitherine games I've played.
+1 I have had the same experience with both games. Not sure why DW takes so long. But once it is up and running I have had no performance issues at all.
Quote from: Rayfer on May 25, 2014, 05:06:31 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on May 25, 2014, 04:51:40 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on May 25, 2014, 04:22:18 PM
I picked up Distant Worlds: Universe on sale at Steam yesterday. Spent about two hours with hit today and I must say color me impressed with the gameplay. This is probably the most streamlined empire management system set in space. I like the game a lot.
My only complaint is that even on my new laptop this game takes a long time to load up. Makes me wonder how long other Matrix monster games like GGWITE take to load up.
WitE doesn't seem to take near as long to load. I'd say Distant Worlds is probably has the longest load time of all the Matrix/Slitherine games I've played.
+1 I have had the same experience with both games. Not sure why DW takes so long. But once it is up and running I have had no performance issues at all.
I'm sure it pre-loads much of the 'stuff' into memory so that it doesn't bog down while running in real-time. There must be a helluva lot of 'stuff' however, because it takes an unusually long time compared to others.
I've been playing around with the Extended Universe Mod (http://www.mediafire.com/download/j2odroasrcj7s8n/Extended+Universe.zip) today and it's the bee's knees. Aside from addressing some balance issues and adding another dozen races or so, it also includes improvements to the graphics, sound, and look of the interface. Highly recommended.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mediafire.com%2Fconv%2F3ea1a470fc6c73fd49cd1e98a02f7139c9ced370bbdbde70fdc2518cfaec17006g.jpg&hash=35a5fdf901e14614130b7568979b1def82770bfe)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mediafire.com%2Fconv%2F6fe26a97907af22f036362e03a82b2cc966599c6c89e7c4f0a48ebc07a0e78206g.jpg&hash=b581e7b1aba7dd4dc8af762142e3aa39580d87aa)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi663.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fuu354%2FHaree78%2FExtendedRaceChanges.jpg&hash=3b17be3626126cf4dc15386af4e8f149d9e7e4b2)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi295.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fmm131%2FDas246%2FTOG%2FDistant%2520Worlds%2F2014-05-2410_52_10-Greenshot.png&hash=8948374a7fa0d3fe2e3079ebb090e11e860231f7)
QuoteMy only complaint is that even on my new laptop this game takes a long time to load up.
What are your nb's specs W8t? I bought the German version of the game for cheap to see if my nb can run it - it can, but I see folks complaining about larger galaxies and mid to late game problems (frame rate, game slowing down etc.) so I am not sure with Universe...
Quote from: W8taminute on May 25, 2014, 04:22:18 PM
My only complaint is that even on my new laptop this game takes a long time to load up.
Never been confirmed officially but confirmed physically that when DW loads it also loads the current theme and checks it for errors, confirmed physically in a few ways.
If you add files to a custom theme or alter a textfile when DW loads the theme will have the changes, no need to change themes once it has loaded to see the changes.
Easiest error to create, mix a gas and strategic resource on a planet type, load DW, DW will crash with the error in the theme while loading.
Delete defaultOptions in the app folder for the DW version number you are playing, it will then revert back to the default, vanilla, theme. This is the preferred manner for dealing with problems in custom themes that mange to get past the loading error check.
Darkspire
So I'm assuming that the extended the mod now works for universe?
Quote from: mikeck on May 26, 2014, 08:24:32 AM
So I'm assuming that the extended the mod now works for universe?
Yes.
Quote from: tgb on May 26, 2014, 08:45:26 AM
Quote from: mikeck on May 26, 2014, 08:24:32 AM
So I'm assuming that the extended the mod now works for universe?
Yes.
Make sure you get the right one. There is a mod called Distant Worlds Extended and one called Universe Extended. DW: Extended just adds some new races, while Universe Extended is a compilation mod that contains the first mod and a few others.
Quote from: tgb on May 25, 2014, 09:29:43 PM
I've been playing around with the Extended Universe Mod (http://www.mediafire.com/download/j2odroasrcj7s8n/Extended+Universe.zip) today and it's the bee's knees. Aside from addressing some balance issues and adding another dozen races or so, it also includes improvements to the graphics, sound, and look of the interface. Highly recommended.
Downloaded. Very nice. I may get to grips with my own mods at some point. Anyone know if you can have multiple images for the same race?
Quote from: Grimnirsson on May 26, 2014, 03:49:47 AM
QuoteMy only complaint is that even on my new laptop this game takes a long time to load up.
What are your nb's specs W8t? I bought the German version of the game for cheap to see if my nb can run it - it can, but I see folks complaining about larger galaxies and mid to late game problems (frame rate, game slowing down etc.) so I am not sure with Universe...
My nb has an Intel Quad Core i7 2.4GHz processor. She's fairly fast when loading other games like Napoleon Total War for example. But with DW it is noticeably slower. There is no problem when loading the save games, it is the initial startup that is slow. After playing now for a day I've gotten used to it though. The game is really a great experience with so many subtle nuances to master.
Quote from: W8taminute on May 26, 2014, 11:19:29 AM
Quote from: Grimnirsson on May 26, 2014, 03:49:47 AM
QuoteMy only complaint is that even on my new laptop this game takes a long time to load up.
What are your nb's specs W8t? I bought the German version of the game for cheap to see if my nb can run it - it can, but I see folks complaining about larger galaxies and mid to late game problems (frame rate, game slowing down etc.) so I am not sure with Universe...
My nb has an Intel Quad Core i7 2.4GHz processor. She's fairly fast when loading other games like Napoleon Total War for example. But with DW it is noticeably slower. There is no problem when loading the save games, it is the initial startup that is slow. After playing now for a day I've gotten used to it though. The game is really a great experience with so many subtle nuances to master.
The initial startup loading has always been slow, on every computer I had it installed. I'm sure it'll be a bit faster if I put it on my desktop's SSD but I'll probably play it on one of my others more.
I tend to just start it up and go get a beverage, do some laundry, or write a novel while it's loading. :P
Started pre-warp. Finding my first viable colony and exploring is a real kick. Discovering other races equally fun, forged alliances and happen to be sat close to the real bad asses of the galaxy, a thoroughly evil race of warmongers.
30 years in and I have a pretty good situation. I'm allied with three races, trading well and now one of my outpost colonies got massacred by friends of the evil space bastards. I declare war on them and a bunch of alliances kick in like falling dominoes and next thing half the galaxy is up in arms. On top of this, I have pirates raiding my fringes, I'm into seeking some forgotten tech treasure and there's some weird subplot with the Ancients.
I'm personally overseeing operations of my prize 2nd Fleet, which has my top Admiral and two best Captains. I've not even started tweaking ship designs yet.
Superb game. Yeah, small text on the news feed and slow to load but simply one of the best games I've ever played.
Argh. For some reason, only my copy of Return of the Shakturi and Legends are showing up as being registered at the moment -- the base game and Shadows don't even show up on the list, thus denying me the full $40 price break on Universe. Have been waiting to hear back from support since yesterday afternoon.
Quote from: Martok on May 28, 2014, 07:20:40 AM
Argh. For some reason, only my copy of Return of the Shakturi and Legends are showing up as being registered at the moment -- the base game and Shadows don't even show up on the list, thus denying me the full $40 price break on Universe. Have been waiting to hear back from support since yesterday afternoon.
Same thing happened to me. Luckily I was able to find the original email I received after I bought it. :)
Quote from: Martok on May 28, 2014, 07:20:40 AM
Argh. For some reason, only my copy of Return of the Shakturi and Legends are showing up as being registered at the moment -- the base game and Shadows don't even show up on the list, thus denying me the full $40 price break on Universe. Have been waiting to hear back from support since yesterday afternoon.
If you have your serial numbers, you should be able to go into the Matrix member club and register them. After you log in, its on the right side below "member services".
Quote from: Kushan on May 28, 2014, 09:19:25 AM
Quote from: Martok on May 28, 2014, 07:20:40 AM
Argh. For some reason, only my copy of Return of the Shakturi and Legends are showing up as being registered at the moment -- the base game and Shadows don't even show up on the list, thus denying me the full $40 price break on Universe. Have been waiting to hear back from support since yesterday afternoon.
If you have your serial numbers, you should be able to go into the Matrix member club and register them. After you log in, its on the right side below "member services".
This. Nowadays the system is automated. If you buy at the store the serial will be linked to your account. At the time of the original game's release and that of its first expansion you had to manually register your serial numbers.
If you kept your serials somewhere you can still manually register them.
Has any big DW mods been updated to Universe compatibility yet?
I played the Extended Mod awhile back, and it's quite nice for some extra variety. :) I was thinking more along the lines of themed mods, such as some of the Star Trek ones, perhaps.
Been doing some unusual PC hex wargaming (even some WW2 stuff :o ) so I'll eventually get the upgrade before long. Just wondering if the modders have been at it yet.
There is a very nice mod released by Das123 which changes parts of the UI to a much nicer variant.
DW Extended has been updated to Universe
some minor mods are coming in too. No complete overhauls yet like a complete star trek mod.
So I got my issues worked out, and was able to purchase and download/install Universe. Huzzah!
Only problem is...now I'm not getting any music. It fires up during the intro, but then it's completely silent when I'm playing an actual game; only the sound effects work. Anyone else experiencing this?
Quote from: Martok on May 28, 2014, 04:20:04 PM
So I got my issues worked out, and was able to purchase and download/install Universe. Huzzah!
Only problem is...now I'm not getting any music. It fires up during the intro, but then it's completely silent when I'm playing an actual game; only the sound effects work. Anyone else experiencing this?
No, but that's usually how I play all of my games anyway.
That's weird Martok. I'm not having any issues with the music or the sound effects. Do you have the proper device selected under the options menu? Either the inherent sound card or software simulated?
I should add that I registered through Steam and installed it the entire game/expansions through it. One advantage to that is you can verify your install through Steam.
Quote from: Martok on May 28, 2014, 04:20:04 PM
So I got my issues worked out, and was able to purchase and download/install Universe. Huzzah!
Only problem is...now I'm not getting any music. It fires up during the intro, but then it's completely silent when I'm playing an actual game; only the sound effects work. Anyone else experiencing this?
I am the same, music during the intro and then just sound effects only during the game, has been since I started on Shadows. I use 1by1 (http://mpesch3.de1.cc/1by1.html), It has a small footprint and works fine with DW, Winamp is better but takes up to four times the system resources.
The problem for me is the driver for my on board audio, I did a rebuild a few months ago and for some unknown reason the drivers I knew to work with it no longer do so, I have a new sound card on my bucket list but as DW is the only game this happens with I am none to sure whether I will bother.
Darkspire
Quote from: Nefaro on May 28, 2014, 02:48:05 PM
Just wondering if the modders have been at it yet.
What kind of mods are people most interested in? Original storylines/backgrounds? Total Conversions - if so, which ones?
Aside from this, I have some tips for starting games which are not readily obvious:
-If you want a full continental planet to start with, on New Game/Your Empire pick 'Home World' -'Excellent'.
-To have sandbox play, uncheck ALL the victory condition boxes.
Quote from: Ian C on May 29, 2014, 03:35:54 AM
Aside from this, I have some tips for starting games which are not readily obvious:
-If you want a full continental planet to start with, on New Game/Your Empire pick 'Home World' -'Excellent'.
-To have sandbox play, uncheck ALL the victory condition boxes.
A) You will only get a continental planet if that is the races default planet type, there are five other types, Marshy Swamp, Ocean, Desert, Ice and Volcanic that they could end up with.
B) To have sandbox play, uncheck ALL the victory condition boxes
and ALL the story lines.Darkspire
Quote from: bbmike on May 28, 2014, 07:00:02 PM
Quote from: Martok on May 28, 2014, 04:20:04 PM
So I got my issues worked out, and was able to purchase and download/install Universe. Huzzah!
Only problem is...now I'm not getting any music. It fires up during the intro, but then it's completely silent when I'm playing an actual game; only the sound effects work. Anyone else experiencing this?
No, but that's usually how I play all of my games anyway.
Really? That would be just too eerie for me. I've gotta have the music playing in the background.
Quote from: W8taminute on May 28, 2014, 07:05:09 PM
That's weird Martok. I'm not having any issues with the music or the sound effects. Do you have the proper device selected under the options menu? Either the inherent sound card or software simulated?
I have to admit, I forgot to check. I'm currently downloading DW: Universe for the Win7 half of my hard drive (yesterday I installed it on the XP half), so I'll have to wait to go back and look.
Quote from: Darkspire on May 28, 2014, 07:52:00 PM
Quote from: Martok on May 28, 2014, 04:20:04 PM
So I got my issues worked out, and was able to purchase and download/install Universe. Huzzah!
Only problem is...now I'm not getting any music. It fires up during the intro, but then it's completely silent when I'm playing an actual game; only the sound effects work. Anyone else experiencing this?
I am the same, music during the intro and then just sound effects only during the game, has been since I started on Shadows. I use 1by1 (http://mpesch3.de1.cc/1by1.html), It has a small footprint and works fine with DW, Winamp is better but takes up to four times the system resources.
The problem for me is the driver for my on board audio, I did a rebuild a few months ago and for some unknown reason the drivers I knew to work with it no longer do so, I have a new sound card on my bucket list but as DW is the only game this happens with I am none to sure whether I will bother.
Darkspire
Odd.
I'm not sure what the issue is for me. Unlike yourself, I didn't have any problems getting the music to play for
Shadows, so you'd think it would've worked just fine for
Universe too.
<shrug> Ah well; I'll fiddle around with it a bit and see if I can figure anything out.
Okay, this is getting weirder: The music plays just fine when I run Universe on the Win7 half of my hard drive. It's only the copy of Universe on the XP half where I'm having trouble getting the music to play. ???
QuoteTotal Conversions - if so, which ones?
Warhammer 40k O0
The beta patch is up:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3620642
CRASH FIXES
- Fixed crash in ship design screen when changing image scaling
- Fixed crash when generating ship designs
- Fixed rare crash in game editor when adding asteroid fields
- Fixed rare crash with fleets
- Fixed rare crash with processing empire messages
- Fixed rare crash when identifying raidable colonies for pirates
BUG FIXES
- Steam Achievements fixed, should be working again now!
- Manually cancelled Deep Cover intelligence missions no longer continue to reveal enemy map for rest of game
- Fixed bug with loading troops when first non-garrisoned troop is too big for troop bay
- Fixed research and ship designs to not auto-update when edit empire in game editor, unless player has ship design automated
- Fixed occasional invisible space monsters
- Ensure empires properly cleared when using existing savegame as galaxy map for new game
- Ensure that ruins with delayed events also getting properly investigated
DISPLAY AND USER INTERFACE
- Reviewed all in-game font scaling and anti-aliasing and reworked font support to take newer Windows operating system scaling into account. Font size and clarity should now be more consistent across all systems.
- Enlarged and clarified fonts: Diplomacy screen, scrolling message list, tutorial screen, cash and income display
- Added Introductory Game button in Start New Game screen, we recommend this as a first game for all new players
- Moved PreWarp tutorial to last based on player feedback
OTHER
- Added a way to disable the intro movie in the Startup.ini file in the DW installation folder. This may help with some startup black screen issues by manually disabling the intro movie.
- Significant performance improvements
- Improved look of in-system background nebula clouds
- Pirates retain protection arrangements for minimum period before cancelling, this should also help with the pre-warp tutorial
- Improved randomness of starting government types in new games (for other empires, when random govt selected)
- Increased maximum event delay to 32000 days (from 10000)
The font improvements are reason enough to install this beta.
Where is the 'Quick Start' game option mentioned in the manual? (p.30) :
QuoteQuick Start
Selecting "Quick Start" on the Main Menu allows the player to jump into a
preconfigured game with a minimal of setup.
Quote from: Ian C on May 29, 2014, 03:35:54 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on May 28, 2014, 02:48:05 PM
Just wondering if the modders have been at it yet.
What kind of mods are people most interested in? Original storylines/backgrounds? Total Conversions - if so, which ones?
Aside from this, I have some tips for starting games which are not readily obvious:
-If you want a full continental planet to start with, on New Game/Your Empire pick 'Home World' -'Excellent'.
-To have sandbox play, uncheck ALL the victory condition boxes.
Set Tech to Very Expensive makes for a more drawn out game that doesn't feel like a click fest.
Quote from: Martok on May 29, 2014, 06:57:06 AM
Okay, this is getting weirder: The music plays just fine when I run Universe on the Win7 half of my hard drive. It's only the copy of Universe on the XP half where I'm having trouble getting the music to play. ???
And I am still on XP, that figures ;D
Darkspire
Quote from: Grimnirsson on May 29, 2014, 10:24:14 AM
QuoteTotal Conversions - if so, which ones?
Warhammer 40k O0
That would be pretty awesome.
Quote from: OJsDad on May 29, 2014, 11:38:52 AM
Set Tech to Very Expensive makes for a more drawn out game that doesn't feel like a click fest.
I regularly did this with the previous DW games I started. Wanted to make the techs relevant for a longer period instead of just being quick stepping stones.
You guys might already have noticed, but I saw a couple of UI improvement while watching Larry Montes Universe LP I thought I'd share.
You can now scale the images of ships and bases in game. In the design menu, right above the ship/base image is the scaling option.
When you right click on a planet, the planet itself is now included in the list with the ships/bases.
Quote from: OJsDad on May 29, 2014, 11:38:52 AM
Set Tech to Very Expensive makes for a more drawn out game that doesn't feel like a click fest.
Even with the tech set to normal, DW is hardly a click fest.
I've got an interesting starting position!
I've just got the first Hyperdrive tech and started venturing beyond my system's borders, only to find the homeworld of the Ancient Guardians on my doorstep!
I hope the screenshot is big enough; Take a look at their facilities on their homeworld and notice they have Loros Fruit (which they will never trade)! I guess Utopia is a great name for the colony indeed! :D
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi630.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fuu25%2FYskonyn%2F2014-05-30_115950.jpg&hash=3e2c1dc9a0687ba0f47a7019b8f78e3d7a0bf7b9)
Better keep them close and don't piss them off.
In case you're wondering which mods I am using;
A custom galaxy backdrop that was posted on DW forums way back. It has a purple center and nice blueish border. Easy on the eyes and looks fantastic.
Das123's UI mod (blue version) with cursors and flags.
A custom shield hit mod which was posted way back (not visible on the screenshot)
Manually edited weapons effects mod, originally by Tyrador. It makes some weapons have a much more glowy effect.
Manually edited exhaust effects (cannot remember the original author) where I have changed the colours back into the scheme used by default to avoid confusion. The effects themselves are much sharper and better scaled.
Apart from Das' mod (which can be found here: Das Chrome Mod thread (http://"http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3616300") I can offer my custom graphics collection with some hard to find sprites for those interested.
This is a superb game.
Every move I make has to take careful diplomacy and future ramifications into account. I'm really thinking on a grand strategic level, as opposed to merely playing on it, as most games do. I'm planning years ahead, forming contingencies and creating plans, forging relations and alliances.
One hell of a space battle just occurred with my best fleets against the enemies' (Boscara Conformity) combined forces. I had to pull two fleets away from defending pirate raids and left those systems open for attack. War Weariness was running through my empire after 5 years of war and then the Boscara sued for peace after one final spectacular battle. I took their peace offer. Now they've started a war in the northern sectors against another empire.
Their attention and resources are diverted and I could strike a deep blow against them but this would ruin my overall trust and relations with the other empires who would place trade sanctions on me...
Freaking great game. Totally immersive.
It's my first game: Ancient Universe custom game, Pre-warp. Largest galaxy size, Human, no space monsters.
My feelings exactly Ian C....I love this game!
Let's go back a second: prior versions can be registered on Steam? (I have everything up until Universe.)
That would be handy for autopatching at the very least.
Quote from: Rayfer on May 30, 2014, 08:17:10 AM
My feelings exactly Ian C....I love this game!
I try to but so far my attempts make me feel like the game is playing me and not the other way around. Also I never could seem to win a planetary battle, no matter how many fleets i committed.
I think it may be down to my non ability to read PDFs and instructions on screen; I miss paper :)
Quote from: JasonPratt on May 30, 2014, 08:52:58 AM
Let's go back a second: prior versions can be registered on Steam? (I have everything up until Universe.)
That would be handy for autopatching at the very least.
I think only DW: Universe can be registered on Steam. (Universe includes the base game plus all previous DLC plus new stuff).
(If you have everything pre-Universe (the base game+DLCs), register them on Matrixgames. That'll give you a discount code to use to get up to $40 off Universe. You can then buy Universe for $10. Then you go to Slitherine and register Universe there to get a Steam code for Universe. Go activate Universe on Steam. Kinda convoluted, but it worked)
I have it all including Universe, all on my computer through Matrix. I have the Steam key but haven't used it. Other than ease of patching....is there any other reasons why I should delete the games completely and reinstall them on Steam?
Quote from: Rayfer on May 30, 2014, 09:52:50 AM
I have it all including Universe, all on my computer through Matrix. I have the Steam key but haven't used it. Other than ease of patching....is there any other reasons why I should delete the games completely and reinstall them on Steam?
No not really. Unless you care for your friendslist, an hours played counter and in the future the Steam overlay (which isn't supported yet AFAIK ).
Jason, you can only get a Steam key from Universe. The other expansions do count towards a hefty discount on Universe in the matrix store, though.
If you register All your keys on there you just buy Universe with a nice discount (automatically checked by the store, so be sure to verify you registered All titles before ordering ). After that you can go to a link given on the DW forums to get a Steam key with your DW:U serial.
After this its up to you what you want; keep running the matrix version or run the Steam version.
Quote from: FlickJax on May 30, 2014, 09:18:31 AM
I think it may be down to my non ability to read PDFs and instructions on screen; I miss paper :)
I solved this problem by getting a Kindle Fire tablet. It's almost exclusively used for reading PDF manuals and some books, although I do have a few games on it that I almost never play. So many damn PDF manuals, I have a ton of them loaded up. :)
Quote from: Nefaro on May 30, 2014, 12:16:08 PM
I solved this problem by getting a Kindle Fire tablet.
Ditto. Highly recommended. PDF manuals are now a pleasure to read.
Quote from: Ian C on May 30, 2014, 04:10:03 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on May 30, 2014, 12:16:08 PM
I solved this problem by getting a Kindle Fire tablet.
Ditto. Highly recommended. PDF manuals are now a pleasure to read.
I have toyed with the idea of going all TNG, do you have any idea how many PDF's you can store on the default medium? Did you upgrade the memory to hold more? I have hundreds and hundreds, would be good to to be able to access them easier than a second monitor.
Darkspire
Quote from: Darkspire on May 30, 2014, 04:19:19 PM
Quote from: Ian C on May 30, 2014, 04:10:03 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on May 30, 2014, 12:16:08 PM
I solved this problem by getting a Kindle Fire tablet.
Ditto. Highly recommended. PDF manuals are now a pleasure to read.
I have toyed with the idea of going all TNG, do you have any idea how many PDF's you can store on the default medium? Did you upgrade the memory to hold more? I have hundreds and hundreds, would be good to to be able to access them easier than a second monitor.
Darkspire
8GB or 16GB storage on a Kindle Fire HD so I guess that's a lot of pdf's for either version. Plus you can read books on it, surf the net, listen to music, play games and watch tv. It fits in a large pocket and you can read it anywhere. It also beats having to sit at a chair to use a pc when you need to check a forum and such. Single best techie purchase I made in the past two years.
Thank you :)
I will have a look on Amazon and see what the damage is.
Darkspire
Incidentally, getting my Steam key and installing Universe on Steam was entirely painless. I've heard of some folks having issues, but I'm grateful to have not been one of them. :)
Quote from: Darkspire on May 30, 2014, 05:00:26 PM
Thank you :)
I will have a look on Amazon and see what the damage is.
Darkspire
Go to B&N and look at Nook. Unlocked, Micro SD card expandable, Google Play, more usable internal memory.
Quote from: Darkspire on May 30, 2014, 04:19:19 PM
Quote from: Ian C on May 30, 2014, 04:10:03 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on May 30, 2014, 12:16:08 PM
I solved this problem by getting a Kindle Fire tablet.
Ditto. Highly recommended. PDF manuals are now a pleasure to read.
I have toyed with the idea of going all TNG, do you have any idea how many PDF's you can store on the default medium? Did you upgrade the memory to hold more? I have hundreds and hundreds, would be good to to be able to access them easier than a second monitor.
Darkspire
I think mine came with 3 or 4 GB of storage space and I still have about 1.5 GB free despite all my PDFs, books, and a few games. There are tons of PDF manuals on it. When they're typically only 1 to 10 MB apiece.. it would take a LOT of manuals to fill it up.
I just ended up with a Kindle because 1) I already use Amazon 2) the price wasn't bad and 3) I knew it supported the file formats I wanted to use at the time 4) the size was nice and small for the screen size.
You dirty rotten scoundrels, I caved and just purchased. Going to be awhile before it downloads and I can play. Good think I landed a job before being laid off, other wise I'd be going nuts right now.
^MUAHAHAHAHA >:D
(Also, congrats on landing the job before getting the pink slip. O0 )
Incidentally, Rock, Paper, Shotgun loves it (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/05/30/wot-i-think-distant-worlds-universe/)...
Quote
No tease before the jump here, let's get straight to it. Distant Worlds: Universe is my favourite space strategy game. Not my favourite space strategy game released this week and not my favourite space strategy game released this year. It's the definitive version of the best space strategy game I've ever played and I want to share the excitement with everyone
Quote from: Martok on May 31, 2014, 11:40:30 AM
^MUAHAHAHAHA >:D
(Also, congrats on landing the job before getting the pink slip. O0 )
Already working on an AAR. Should have the first post up tonight.
Quote from: OJsDad on May 31, 2014, 03:38:28 PM
Quote from: Martok on May 31, 2014, 11:40:30 AM
^MUAHAHAHAHA >:D
(Also, congrats on landing the job before getting the pink slip. O0 )
Already working on an AAR. Should have the first post up tonight.
Excellent!
Quote from: OJsDad on May 31, 2014, 03:38:28 PM
Quote from: Martok on May 31, 2014, 11:40:30 AM
^MUAHAHAHAHA >:D
(Also, congrats on landing the job before getting the pink slip. O0 )
Already working on an AAR. Should have the first post up tonight.
Great...I am torn whether to buy the expansion...previous versions have just sat on my hard drive.
DING! DING! DING! Come and get it!!!!
http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=10255.msg260756#msg260756 (http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=10255.msg260756#msg260756)
Quote from: sandman2575 on May 29, 2014, 11:06:15 AM
The font improvements are reason enough to install this beta.
I've also installed the
12noon Display Changer II (http://12noon.com/?page_id=641) app which really seems to help even more.
I have a 1920x1080 monitor and the font size in some of the windows was still too small after the latest update. I came across this app on the MG games forums and it does help. I used it to created a 1440x900 configuration XML file and the app uses it when I run DW:U. The app changes to 1440x900, runs DW:U and when I exit DW:U, switches back to my 1920x1080 resolution. All the text is much easier to read (at least for me).
Quote from: steve58 on May 31, 2014, 08:01:17 PM
Quote from: sandman2575 on May 29, 2014, 11:06:15 AM
The font improvements are reason enough to install this beta.
I've also installed the 12noon Display Changer II (http://12noon.com/?page_id=641) app which really seems to help even more.
I have a 1920x1080 monitor and the font size in some of the windows was still too small after the latest update. I came across this app on the MG games forums and it does help. I used it to created a 1440x900 configuration XML file and the app uses it when I run DW:U. The app changes to 1440x900, runs DW:U and when I exit DW:U, switches back to my 1920x1080 resolution. All the text is much easier to read (at least for me).
Great tool...been looking for something like this!
I recently discovered something else to help me see the tiny text on a 1920x1080 display. Reading glasses. :coolsmiley: :-[
Quote from: bbmike on May 31, 2014, 08:18:57 PM
I recently discovered something else to help me see the tiny text on a 1920x1080 display. Reading glasses. :coolsmiley: :-[
I got mine in 2004, went to work Friday night, no problems with sorting the orders out on the computer. Went in Monday night and I could not see the screen, I had to call my second in command in early to get things done :o
Darkspire
Quote from: bbmike on May 31, 2014, 08:18:57 PM
I recently discovered something else to help me see the tiny text on a 1920x1080 display. Reading glasses. :coolsmiley: :-[
I refuse to admit my body is breaking down:) But that would probably work too:)
Beta update now available :)
1.9.5.2 Beta Update available for testing (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3626796)
Darkspire
Coolness. Glad to see them patching more quickly. :)
Yes this one seems to have some good updates/fixes to it. The ai spending money on troops more carefully will be very welcome to my in game bank account!
Does this get applied automatically to the steam version, or do you need to opt in to beta patches?
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 05, 2014, 06:29:26 AM
Does this get applied automatically to the steam version, or do you need to opt in to beta patches?
You have to opt in since it's a beta patch.
Quote from: W8taminute on June 05, 2014, 06:13:54 AM
Yes this one seems to have some good updates/fixes to it.
They finally got around to revising the blurry fonts. After how many years? ;D
Update 1.9.5.2 is now officially out.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3621324
Quote
CRASH FIXES
- fixed crash when drawing space monsters ("CheckFixNotInSystem")
- fixed rare crash when drawing ships
- fixed rare crash when drawing Empire Navigation Tool
- fixed rare crashes relating to fleet mission assignment
BUG FIXES
- altered how keyboard input is read (different Windows API) in attempt to resolve view sometimes moving to top-left
- fixed issue where Steam Achievements were often being set prematurely
- fixed AI empires starting and then quickly ending Trade Sanctions - now always honor minimum time period
- fixed RepairBot components being downgraded to Damage Control by AI ship design (updated fix)
- fixed problems when loading and displaying research information when Windows set to some non-English languages (e.g. Turkish)
- ensured that pirate factions are generated at start of a new game when using an existing galaxy map
- slightly increased size of Tutorial screen to account for larger text
- fixed problem where player colony names were sometimes including blank values (colonynames.txt)
GENERAL GAME BALANCE
- adjusted default ship design templates for each race: Large Spaceports have more docking bays and construction yards, Mining Stations have more docking bays, shields and weapons
- low colony tax rates do not increase population growth rates as much as previously, but now make colony more attractive migration destination
- civilian ships now ensure they have enough reactors to power hyperdrives at full speed (same as state ships already did)
- Fighters now weighted higher when evaluating strength of potential attack targets
- AI now willing to build more military ships when at war, especially when have large cash reserves and powerful enemies
- AI now more willing to build more research stations at home colony at game start
- AI takes more care to avoid overspending on troops
EXPLORATION
- Exploration ships now scan for resources more quickly, moving on to next exploration target immediately once resources and ruins investigated
- increased amount of automated Exploration ships that are assigned to simply scout systems for colonization targets and ruins instead of performing full resource scan of system and all resources
FLEETS
- AI fleets are now better at coordinating multi-fleet attacks within own empire against single enemy target (beyond just coordinated fleet attacks with allies)
- increased ratio of AI-created large fleets versus small strike forces (i.e. more large fleets)
- now properly limit coordinated fleet attacks within own empire only to automated attack fleets (not defense fleets or manually controlled fleets)
OTHER
- now force immediate update of stardate and cash display when open a new screen, e.g. Empire Summary screen
- possession of an operational planet destroyer negatively affects diplomatic relations with other empires ("We are envious of your huge strength and power")
- games now honor global volume settings for music and effects
- improved display performance for main menu screens (e.g. start new game)
- space monsters now properly attack ships in the Dead Zone
- ships can now properly investigate abandoned bases in the Dead Zone
This build has the following changes from 1.9.5.0 (initial release):
CRASH FIXES
- Fixed crash in ship design screen when changing image scaling
- Fixed crash when generating ship designs
- Fixed rare crash in game editor when adding asteroid fields
- Fixed rare crash with fleets
- Fixed rare crash with processing empire messages
- Fixed rare crash when identifying raidable colonies for pirates
BUG FIXES
- Steam Achievements fixed, should be working again now!
- Manually cancelled Deep Cover intelligence missions no longer continue to reveal enemy map for rest of game
- Fixed bug with loading troops when first non-garrisoned troop is too big for troop bay
- Fixed research and ship designs to not auto-update when edit empire in game editor, unless player has ship design automated
- Fixed occasional invisible space monsters
- Ensure empires properly cleared when using existing savegame as galaxy map for new game
- Ensure that ruins with delayed events also getting properly investigated
DISPLAY AND USER INTERFACE
- Reviewed all in-game font scaling and anti-aliasing and reworked font support to take newer Windows operating system scaling into account. Font size and clarity should now be more consistent across all systems.
- Enlarged and clarified fonts: Diplomacy screen, scrolling message list, tutorial screen, cash and income display
- Added Introductory Game button in Start New Game screen, we recommend this as a first game for all new players
- Moved PreWarp tutorial to last based on player feedback
OTHER
- Added a way to disable the intro movie in the Startup.ini file in the DW installation folder. This may help with some startup black screen issues by manually disabling the intro movie.
- Significant performance improvements
- Improved look of in-system background nebula clouds
- Pirates retain protection arrangements for minimum period before cancelling, this should also help with the pre-warp tutorial
- Improved randomness of starting government types in new games (for other empires, when random govt selected)
- Increased maximum event delay to 32000 days (from 10000)
I spent some time myself this afternoon porting my previous copies over to Steam via the crazy registration process on Slither/ix. ::) No problems, though.
Does it update the Steam version automatically?
I still get the update button in the menu screen.
Also how do I find out the version I'm using?
Quote from: jomni on June 08, 2014, 08:46:36 PM
Does it update the Steam version automatically?
I still get the update button in the menu screen.
Also how do I find out the version I'm using?
It updates automatically on steam and the version number is in the bottom left corner of the menu screen.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 08, 2014, 08:55:47 PM
Quote from: jomni on June 08, 2014, 08:46:36 PM
Does it update the Steam version automatically?
I still get the update button in the menu screen.
Also how do I find out the version I'm using?
It updates automatically on steam and the version number is in the bottom left corner of the menu screen.
Thanks so I just ignore that manual Update Button. For a while I thought it prompts me to update to the version indicated below.
Distant Worlds 1.9.5.3 Beta Update is now available for testing.
Quote
Changes since 1.9.5.2:
CRASH FIXES
- fixed crash when drawing long range scanners in galaxy view
- fixed crash when drawing planet in hover panel
- fixed crash when auto-saving game
- fixed crash when loading game with custom theme from main menu
- fixed crash when drawing Empire Navigation Tool
- fixed crash with advisor message when invading independent colonies
- fixed crash when investigating ruins
- fixed crash when calculating troop strength
- fixed crash when editing ship design
- fixed crash when edit very large stars in game editor
- fixed crash when AI assigns new mining mission
BUG FIXES
- altered Windows API used for checking mouse location to fix screen scrolling to top-left (thus avoiding bug in Windows Vista 64-bit)
- fixed bases detaching from their parent planet/moon/asteroid when initiate retrofit before they are finished their previous retrofit
- sound volume now properly remembered when load games
- Unload Troops missions are now cancelled when target colony changes ownership (thus avoid unloading troops at enemy colony)
- fixed misleading message when your special forces troops destroy hidden pirate base facility at one of your own colonies
- main view now properly regains focus for mouse scroll-wheel when close Build Order screen
- fixed rare bug with pirate colonies over-ordering construction resources
- fixed display problems with main menu screen in Windows XP
USER INTERFACE
- enabled scaling of Empire Navigation Tool at screen left - use new size button next to close button in each panel to cycle 3 sizes: normal, large, extra large
OTHER
- improved how Action buttons (under Selection Panel) determine which mining station design to show (gas vs mineral) when building mining stations at planets/moons/asteroids (better support for custom themes with unusual resource distributions)
FWIW...game 1, terran, republican, early technology. A Dark Moon Pirate shows up on my doorstep and blasts my two construction platforms into nothingness. I try building a defense platform, and they make short work of that. I am now in debt to the tune of 2000, and the Dark Moon Pirates have landed an invasion force.
Sigh...
Jack Nastyface
You should have made them your friends at the start.
Quote from: Jack Nastyface on June 13, 2014, 01:07:10 AM
FWIW...game 1, terran, republican, early technology. A Dark Moon Pirate shows up on my doorstep and blasts my two construction platforms into nothingness. I try building a defense platform, and they make short work of that. I am now in debt to the tune of 2000, and the Dark Moon Pirates have landed an invasion force.
Sigh...
Jack Nastyface
In the pre-warp game your supposed to pay them protection (extortion) money if you encounter them before you have a military capable of defending. Even early defensive bases won't stand a chance against them. If your playing with the shadows story line turned on its supposed to automatically pop up the diplomacy box when the first pirate enters your star system.
Sure thing ! Always pay off the first Pirates you encounter in PreWarp until you have a proper military.
Quote from: Yskonyn on June 13, 2014, 02:46:40 AM
Sure thing ! Always pay off the first Pirates you encounter in PreWarp until you have a proper military.
+1....I've never been to survive a prewar start without accepting the protection deal offered by the pirates in the first few minutes of gameplay. After you build your first fleet, which doesn't take long and happens while still in prewar time, you can cancel it and then the fighting begins, but you have a good chance to survive. Finding and taking out their base can be a very difficult undertaking.
Yeah finding their base of operations can be a pain in the butt.
Researching long range scanners and proximity arrays early on can help. But then again, there are other priorities you might want to focus on first. :) Choices, choices...
v1.9.5.3 is now official
Quote
This build has the following changes from 1.9.5.2:
CRASH FIXES
- fixed crash when drawing long range scanners in galaxy view
- fixed crash when drawing planet in hover panel
- fixed crash when auto-saving game
- fixed crash when loading game with custom theme from main menu
- fixed crash when drawing Empire Navigation Tool
- fixed crash with advisor message when invading independent colonies
- fixed crash when investigating ruins
- fixed crash when calculating troop strength
- fixed crash when editing ship design
- fixed crash when edit very large stars in game editor
- fixed crash when AI assigns new mining mission
BUG FIXES
- altered Windows API used for checking mouse location to fix screen scrolling to top-left (thus avoiding bug in Windows Vista 64-bit)
- fixed bases detaching from their parent planet/moon/asteroid when initiate retrofit before they are finished their previous retrofit
- sound volume now properly remembered when load games
- Unload Troops missions are now cancelled when target colony changes ownership (thus avoid unloading troops at enemy colony)
- fixed misleading message when your special forces troops destroy hidden pirate base facility at one of your own colonies
- main view now properly regains focus for mouse scroll-wheel when close Build Order screen
- fixed rare bug with pirate colonies over-ordering construction resources
- fixed display problems with main menu screen in Windows XP
USER INTERFACE
- enabled scaling of Empire Navigation Tool at screen left - use new size button next to close button in each panel to cycle 3 sizes: normal, large, extra large
OTHER
- improved how Action buttons (under Selection Panel) determine which mining station design to show (gas vs mineral) when building mining stations at planets/moons/asteroids (better support for custom themes with unusual resource distributions)
Gentles all,
A few things, in no particular order.
1) In space as in the Gulf of Aden...I don't negotiate with Pirates. >8-(
2) Wow...this game is huge. I am a having a few frustrations, but if you leave the game on "automation" mode stuff just starts happening by itself!
3) How to I repair and refuel ships that are out cruisin' the system? Do I build a docking station and then send it out? All my ships are coming back to the home planet for repairs / refuel after their scraps with space slugs.
4) I don't see a dedicated refueling ship...do they ever show up?
5) I couldn't resist naming my Empire "Trigan". Do I need to pay royalties to Look and Learn magazine?
I will start posting on a more appropriate forum after this first round.
Yours in SPACE (typed with deep echo) gaming,
Jack Nastyface
1. Depends on the pirate settings and game difficulty as to whether you pay them.
2. Welcome to the wonder that is Distant Worlds :)
3. Ships will repair at the nearest spaceport and refuel at the nearest refueling point to their location.
4. Research the Energy tab, near the bottom of the items are the construction techs, look for the shipyard, once that is researched you will have access to the resupply ship.
5. Pass.
Darkspire
Quote from: Jack Nastyface on June 13, 2014, 01:07:10 AM
I am now in debt to the tune of 2000, and the Dark Moon Pirates have landed an invasion force.
Sigh...
Don't you mean, "YARR..."?
Would be cool if you could turn into a Pirate faction if you get sizzled down to nothing, in the same game.
So are there any good mods released with the new tools yet?
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 14, 2014, 04:00:46 AM
So are there any good mods released with the new tools yet?
I made a simple mod for playing human empires with a bit of variety for characters. They have random traits and skills each time you start a new game so replay value is high. I'll update and expand it as I go along.
The mod can be safely incorporated into the Extended Universe and Das Chrome UI Mods. Just paste both the folders into the mod folder for each mod, over-writing.
DOWNLOAD LINK:http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3635862&mpage=1&key=�
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Ffc04.deviantart.net%2Ffs71%2Ff%2F2014%2F152%2Fb%2Fe%2Fftysrtg_by_astigliano-d7kkuzf.jpg&hash=a9091465b90c0997ff5117e8facb991e6dc965dd)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Ffc06.deviantart.net%2Ffs70%2Ff%2F2014%2F152%2F2%2Fa%2Fyudytgh_by_astigliano-d7kkvc1.jpg&hash=6462dc896cfd04ad4c13f72dc6d496288b53ee85)
That sounds pretty cool Ian!
I've not played DW for awhile, despite buying the Universe upgrade not long ago. But I will get behind anything that adds some more variety such as this. O0
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 14, 2014, 04:00:46 AM
So are there any good mods released with the new tools yet?
Distant Worlds Extended is about the only major overhaul type mod out right now. It adds 18 new races that fit right into the exist DW universe. On the rare games I don't play using it, the galaxy actually feels a bit empty.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3141149 (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3141149)
There was a Star Trek overhaul mod out, but the author took it down upon the request of another modder whose work he used without permission. It sounds like Igard (the modder who made the request) is close to releasing his updated Picard Era ST mod. From what little has been said, it sounds like he will also be updating his Archer, Kirk, and Spock era mods as well.
My most anticipated mod is eva lilith's EVE mod. But she has been working on it for a few years now and still hasn't released it. The ship images are some of the best I have seen for DW.
I'd love to see an Honor Harrington mod, too bad Weber's lawyers would shut it down like they have previous mod projects. Maybe someone could do an Honor Harrington
inspired mod.
Edit:
Screenshot of what I've been working on tonight. Two ships using the same image. Scaling is a little off. I know the ability to force image scaling was added in Universe, but I need to look into if there is a way to force AI designs to scale before I do this for all the default images.
(https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5499/14421075631_5a461b9eef_o.jpg)
Have a really large intergalactic empire going now. Its called the "Intergalactic Imperium of Man." I usually play elliptical or spiral galaxies, but this time I went for irregular and I happened to be placed near the galactic core. There seemed to be a lot more colonizable planets nearby than my typical games and this helped me expand pretty quickly. There are three or four other empires that rival mine in size and tech, two of which are pretty good allies. Should be interesting. Its around this time where things start happening too fast to keep up with at normal speed and I have to start slowing down time regularly. This is usually the point at which I get frustrated and lose interest...I'd like to keep going this time, though, if I can.
By the by, Elliot was able to help me with my problem of not getting the music to play on my copy of the game installed on the XP half of my hard drive. Turns out all I had to do was upgrade Windows Media Player to v11; simple! :)
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 21, 2014, 11:52:19 AM
Have a really large intergalactic empire going now. Its called the "Intergalactic Imperium of Man." I usually play elliptical or spiral galaxies, but this time I went for irregular and I happened to be placed near the galactic core. There seemed to be a lot more colonizable planets nearby than my typical games and this helped me expand pretty quickly. There are three or four other empires that rival mine in size and tech, two of which are pretty good allies. Should be interesting. Its around this time where things start happening too fast to keep up with at normal speed and I have to start slowing down time regularly. This is usually the point at which I get frustrated and lose interest...I'd like to keep going this time, though, if I can.
I know the feeling. I play the game with a fairly high degree of automation/adviser suggestions, and it can still be a bit much sometimes when your empire gets large.
That being said, I don't think there's another 4x title out there that could make things manageable at all, at least not on the scale typical for DW galaxies.
Update: Game 1 ended rather poorly when my colonies were invaded by zillions of those freakin' Shakturi rodent things. I was getting ready to start a border war against some of the encroaching bug races when the Shakturi show up and swarm everything I've got.
^^ So, like real life then! :)
Yes, the Shakturi are nothing to sneer at, even on the lower difficulty levels. About the only "easy" way to beat them is to invade & conquer their homeworld when they're still the Eruktah(sp?) Refugees; otherwise, you're generally in for a rough ride...
Eurogamer reviewed DW:U and gave it a 7/10
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-06-27-distant-worlds-universe-review
Quote from: spelk on June 30, 2014, 06:46:39 AM
Eurogamer reviewed DW:U and gave it a 7/10
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-06-27-distant-worlds-universe-review
A pretty decent review, although I'm surprised he scored it only a 7. Going by how the article reads, I would've expected at least an 8, maybe a 9.
Sigh...
Game 2: I make a protection deal with Pirates, which I falsely assume will give me time to build up some mining installations to generate income. Just as I complete Mining station4, the Pirates cancel the protection agreement, come in and raid and destroy everything I have. With no money, no mines, no defensive ships, research bases or space ports, I decide to call it quits. Maybe I have better luck next time.
Game 3: Starts off well, no trouble from neighboring races or pirates. However, a cluster of four giant kaltors chew through all of my space assets (including 6 poorly armed destroyers...as I decided to research "assault pods" first because I wanted to counter-attack any pirate raids on mining stations). Defeated, I choose to restart.
Game 4: So far so good. I chose to build in order: one medium space port, two defense platforms, three research stations, two exploration ships, and one construction ship. I build a mine on the closest moon, and discover ancient scrolls of warp drive research. This is looking better.
Yikes. I've not played much in the Age of Shadows yet, but your experiences aren't exactly encouraging. Here's hoping this latest effort goes better for you!
Not sure if it's a bug, but every time the pirates rescind the protection order and attack, I just immediately request another one and they accept. That lets me keep them away until I can build up some defenses.
Quote from: Jack Nastyface on June 30, 2014, 01:41:29 PM
Sigh...
Game 2: I make a protection deal with Pirates, which I falsely assume will give me time to build up some mining installations to generate income. Just as I complete Mining station4, the Pirates cancel the protection agreement, come in and raid and destroy everything I have. With no money, no mines, no defensive ships, research bases or space ports, I decide to call it quits. Maybe I have better luck next time.
Game 3: Starts off well, no trouble from neighboring races or pirates. However, a cluster of four giant kaltors chew through all of my space assets (including 6 poorly armed destroyers...as I decided to research "assault pods" first because I wanted to counter-attack any pirate raids on mining stations). Defeated, I choose to restart.
What pirate settings are you using? If you set them to Very Few, and Weak, then they will be around the strength they where in the Legends expansion. Which is a way of saying, their a nuisance rather then a real threat they are in Shadows/Universe. You can also turn off "Enable Shadows Story Events" option on the victory conditions screen. It only seems to control a few pre-warp only events, most notably the pirates showing up a few minutes into each game.
You can also turn off "Allow Giant Kaltors at game start" on the same screen. I never play with space monsters so I'm not sure what the best way of dealing with them is. I wish you could enable the legendary creature/pirates separate from the normal space monster, I'd love to be able to fight the silvermist without space slugs and scorpions.
I kinda dig the Space Monsters, in small and relatively distant amounts. Not good if they're nibbling on your doorstep early in the game though.
I am not sure of all my settings, but I sorta don't just want to nerf the game so much that nothing happens. I think I selected "few pirates", "distant" and "weak". I thought that would at least ease the burden of encounters. Unfortunately in my current game, there are at least six different pirate factions that are knocking on the door.
I think my primary challenge is just trying to figure out all the things going on. I just had three research stations blow up as the result of suspected sabotage, and I also notice that if I don't research "assault pods" as one of my first weapon techs, the pirates seem to have this and use it against me (they just captured a mining station and a cruiser). It seems as if there is a "perfect" research tree / mining / ship and fleet build scheme that is just beyond my ken.
I am playing only as the Terrans (maybe that's a mistake) and starting with pre-warp technology. I actually kind of like this era, where everyone is struggling to figure out how to expand beyond their own system, but obviously the other races benefit from a native AI that optimizes their progress. I have to learn by trial and error, which I suppose is part of the fun. As I said, nerfing the game into super easy mode could be done easily enough (massive star grid, few other races, no pirates, etc) but where's the challenge in that.
And now my first colony appears to be upset about something and refuses to pay taxes. Must be 'mercians...
Quote from: Jack Nastyface on July 01, 2014, 02:10:40 AM
And now my first colony appears to be upset about something and refuses to pay taxes. Must be 'mercians...
Mercians? Would that make you Star King Offa? ;D
Quote from: Jack Nastyface on July 01, 2014, 02:10:40 AM
I think my primary challenge is just trying to figure out all the things going on. I just had three research stations blow up as the result of suspected sabotage, and I also notice that if I don't research "assault pods" as one of my first weapon techs, the pirates seem to have this and use it against me (they just captured a mining station and a cruiser). It seems as if there is a "perfect" research tree / mining / ship and fleet build scheme that is just beyond my ken.
I never go for assault pods early on. I normally got for rail guns right at the start. I find the -10% accuracy is more then made up its ability to penetrate shields. Try adding more ah bit modules to your early base designs. Along with troops modules and I think assault pods as well, habitat modules in erase your boarding defense strength.[/quote]
Quote from: Staggerwing on July 01, 2014, 05:24:09 AM
Quote from: Jack Nastyface on July 01, 2014, 02:10:40 AM
And now my first colony appears to be upset about something and refuses to pay taxes. Must be 'mercians...
Mercians? Would that make you Star King Offa? ;D
LOL!
;D
Or Lady Aethelflaed?
Jack, have you applied any of the updates. The issues you're describing with the pirates I haven't seen so far. And from what you've stated about the game settings, it doesn't sound like the pirates should be overly aggressive.
Yeah..I'm up on the latest patch. I think some of the problem I am having is admittedly to do with learning the game, what to automate or not automate, how to adjust polices, etc. And some of it is just plain old random dumb luck...like being located to close the Boskara Hive on 1 game, or having Kaltors spawn right next to my just-built-and-admittedly unguarded gas mining station and research facility on a nearby planet.
I'm also having problems understanding cash flow...I always seem to have negative cash flow. Once again, computer gaming imitates life...
Having jumped from Return of the Shakturi straight to DWU, the biggest change I've noticed is how hard it is to keep a positive cash flow now. Not sure what exactly they changed. The other is those danged pirates.
Jack, the negative cash flow is a bit misleading. You have two types of expenses and revenues: one-time and ongoing. Cash flow is just a statement of ongoing expenses and ongoing revenues. Here's a high-level description of each:
- One-Time Expenses: Building state bases or state ships, facilities, retrofitting state bases or state ships, initiating crash research programs
- One-Time Revenues: Private sector builds ships at your ship yards (this happens A LOT in the early game, especially if you're starting out PreWarp), private sector pays you to build a base, passengers arrive at a resort
- Ongoing Expense: Maintenance on state ships, bases, troops, and facilities. Protection agreements and tributes you've agreed to pay to pirates and other races. Plus all the other stuff you see in your Empire Summary screen.
- Ongoing Revenue: Taxes on colonies, tributes from other races. Plus all the other stuff you see in your Empire Summary screen.
In the early game, Cash flow is always negative but offset by the huge amount of cash the private sector channels your way as it pays your shipyards to build ships for it.
[/list]
Quote from: bobarossa on July 02, 2014, 06:46:28 PM
Having jumped from Return of the Shakturi straight to DWU, the biggest change I've noticed is how hard it is to keep a positive cash flow now. Not sure what exactly they changed. The other is those danged pirates.
Are you doing a pre-warp/Age of Shadows start, or a standard start (with your home star system more-or-less fully developed)?
Quote from: Martok on July 03, 2014, 04:05:13 AM
Quote from: bobarossa on July 02, 2014, 06:46:28 PM
Having jumped from Return of the Shakturi straight to DWU, the biggest change I've noticed is how hard it is to keep a positive cash flow now. Not sure what exactly they changed. The other is those danged pirates.
Are you doing a pre-warp/Age of Shadows start, or a standard start (with your home star system more-or-less fully developed)?
Doing the pre/warp start with slightly reduced pirates. I've done ok after the first few tries but I recall rarely having money problems in the RotS version. My latest game has me 42 years in with a huge surplus and I'm beating down several pirate factions that have annoyed me. Planning to restart soon with the latest patch.
Quote from: bobarossa on July 03, 2014, 02:25:42 PM
Quote from: Martok on July 03, 2014, 04:05:13 AM
Quote from: bobarossa on July 02, 2014, 06:46:28 PM
Having jumped from Return of the Shakturi straight to DWU, the biggest change I've noticed is how hard it is to keep a positive cash flow now. Not sure what exactly they changed. The other is those danged pirates.
Are you doing a pre-warp/Age of Shadows start, or a standard start (with your home star system more-or-less fully developed)?
Doing the pre/warp start with slightly reduced pirates. I've done ok after the first few tries but I recall rarely having money problems in the RotS version. My latest game has me 42 years in with a huge surplus and I'm beating down several pirate factions that have annoyed me. Planning to restart soon with the latest patch.
I play with the latest updates and always start pre-warp. My problems haven't been with cash flow, they are always with resources...I am always having to renew contracts with the pirates to smuggle in those that I need to continue to build new stuff. Pirates can be irritating but fun as well. They are very difficult to defeat, even on easy setting. At least that has been my experience. All in all....I really like the game.
FWIW...this most recent game of mine seems to be going better. The following things seem to be making a difference:
1. Switch from Republic (default form of gov't to Monarchy). This reduces my cost of ownership of my ships, resources, etc.
2. Build research stations at locations where there is a research bonus. Previously I had built all my research stations around my home planet, but now I am "diversifying" the research for optimal results.
3. Colonize! I was lucky enough to have another planet and moon within a short distant of my main planet, so as soon as I could afford to build colony ships, off they went. I could only afford to build those ships, however, AFTER I had switched governments and mothballed some of my fleet / ships. The extra population is a big help (obviously).
Question: Can I build a mining station for luxury items? There is a nearby ocean planet that has three luxury items...if I build a mining station there, will I get more product from it? Or should I just leave that up to the independent mining ships?
Question: I have seem to turned "off" the advisors who tell me to upgrade my ships...and I may have also turned off the "automated ship design" feature. Where do I turn these back on? I don't think my latest ships are getting the benefits of all the new tech I am researching.
Yours in gaming,
Jack Nastyface
Happy to hear things are going better for you Jack.
Quote from: Jack Nastyface on July 04, 2014, 12:02:56 PM
Question: Can I build a mining station for luxury items? There is a nearby ocean planet that has three luxury items...if I build a mining station there, will I get more product from it? Or should I just leave that up to the independent mining ships?
Question: I have seem to turned "off" the advisors who tell me to upgrade my ships...and I may have also turned off the "automated ship design" feature. Where do I turn these back on? I don't think my latest ships are getting the benefits of all the new tech I am researching.
Question 1: Your normal mining and gas mining stations should already have a luxury extractor on them.
Question 2: Those are found under the "options" menu. Can access it from the main loading screen or by hitting escape if your already in game.
For Question 1 I think he asking if he 'should' build a mining station there. I would say yes. At least that's what I do. I let the independents mine things that might be temporarily low in my stockpile. Anyway, I hope that is the kind of thing they do.
Question 2. I think you can also access those things in the Empire Policy screen (one of those icons near the top, slightly left of center)
Quote from: bobarossa on July 04, 2014, 01:31:23 PM
For Question 1 I think he asking if he 'should' build a mining station there. I would say yes. At least that's what I do. I let the independents mine things that might be temporarily low in my stockpile. Anyway, I hope that is the kind of thing they do.
If that's the case it depends on mining percentages (the number next to the resource). The common practice isn't to mine any planets where the total of resource percentages is less then 120%. I'm not sure the math behind it, but I've seen that number mentioned several times in various posts at matrix and in YouTube LP's. However, there are exceptions to every rule, and if its a very rare resource, strategic or luxury, then you should go ahead and mine it.
Thanks Kushan et alia...
So this latest game went much better. Sort of. I've managed to avoid getting eaten, pirated or overwhelmed by cute rodents or ugly insects...but I "lost" anyways. Just as I had established my eighth planet I got a message from the game saying the Naxxians had "won" based on their victory conditions. Looks like I am going to have to re-visit that victory conditions screen at start-up....
I generally enable only the race-specific victory conditions. It seems to make for a better game (at least in my case).
I only play sandbox. Victory or death.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 05, 2014, 12:57:23 PM
I only play sandbox. Victory or death.
It took me awhile to get there but this how I play it too.
I haven't gotten into any games real deep yet, but it seems like in the early games I have to turn off AI control of taxes and set them myself to keep from going into debt.
Quote from: OJsDad on July 06, 2014, 01:00:37 PM
I haven't gotten into any games real deep yet, but it seems like in the early games I have to turn off AI control of taxes and set them myself to keep from going into debt.
I'm guessing this is in a Shadows/pre-warp start?
I ask, because in a regular start, I rarely have money issues. Even if my "state" income is in the red for a time, my bonus income nearly always keeps me afloat during the lean times.
Quote from: OJsDad on July 06, 2014, 01:01:33 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on July 05, 2014, 01:21:18 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 05, 2014, 12:57:23 PM
I only play sandbox. Victory or death.
+1
:knuppel2:
+2 :uglystupid2:
Bah. I'm surrounded by Philistines.
Quote from: Martok on July 06, 2014, 03:02:27 PM
Quote from: OJsDad on July 06, 2014, 01:00:37 PM
I haven't gotten into any games real deep yet, but it seems like in the early games I have to turn off AI control of taxes and set them myself to keep from going into debt.
I'm guessing this is in a Shadows/pre-warp start?
I ask, because in a regular start, I rarely have money issues. Even if my "state" income is in the red for a time, my bonus income nearly always keeps me afloat during the lean times.
Yes, a pre-warp start
hmmm, I looks like there is a new posting for an AAR for Distant Worlds.
Also, as second posting in the same thread for a bit of history.
Alright...how exactly does one go about blowing up enemy space stations, etc? I just kitted out a fleet of fifteen ships - 5 capital ships and 10 cruisers, and set it against a pirate colony that had two small space ports and a fewer small ships flying defense. I thought the battle would have been a cake walk, but I lost everything. I was sort of doing a "points calculation" where I estimated that my fleet was "worth" (in terms of money to build) about 3X the enemy assets. I can't even imagine what big battle will look like in this game...100+ ships?
Quote from: Jack Nastyface on July 08, 2014, 11:13:59 AM
Alright...how exactly does one go about blowing up enemy space stations, etc? I just kitted out a fleet of fifteen ships - 5 capital ships and 10 cruisers, and set it against a pirate colony that had two small space ports and a fewer small ships flying defense. I thought the battle would have been a cake walk, but I lost everything. I was sort of doing a "points calculation" where I estimated that my fleet was "worth" (in terms of money to build) about 3X the enemy assets. I can't even imagine what big battle will look like in this game...100+ ships?
I've had the same experience. I gave up attacking pirate bases (even on weak pirates setting), they seem unbeatable, I lose my fleet or flee first. I have found it is easier to just continue paying tribute or protection to keep them off my back. They seem unbalanced and over-powered.
I am playing in a pre-warp galaxy and my game started with me and another race in one system. When I had a larger fleet around 20 ships I attacked their home planet and also lost almost every ship...so that doesn't seem to be a pirate thingy... :knuppel2:
Quote from: Jack Nastyface on July 08, 2014, 11:13:59 AM
Alright...how exactly does one go about blowing up enemy space stations, etc? I just kitted out a fleet of fifteen ships - 5 capital ships and 10 cruisers, and set it against a pirate colony that had two small space ports and a fewer small ships flying defense. I thought the battle would have been a cake walk, but I lost everything. I was sort of doing a "points calculation" where I estimated that my fleet was "worth" (in terms of money to build) about 3X the enemy assets. I can't even imagine what big battle will look like in this game...100+ ships?
Without knowing more specifics about your situation, there are a couple things I will note:
1.) Even small spaceports can be surprisingly tough nuts to crack, especially with the right weapons/defenses.
2.) Don't forget that in a pre-warp start, pirate factions begin with a much higher tech level than the planetary-based factions. As a result, their bases are, on average, going to be much tougher than yours are until you catch up on research (which I understand generally takes a little while).
Quote from: Grimnirsson on July 08, 2014, 12:32:44 PM
I am playing in a pre-warp galaxy and my game started with me and another race in one system. When I had a larger fleet around 20 ships I attacked their home planet and also lost almost every ship...so that doesn't seem to be a pirate thingy... :knuppel2:
You started with another race in the same star system? Ouch.
That's gotta be either a bug, or incredibly bad luck. :-\
Yeah, I'm Human and there's a planet in my system where the Kiadian live...
Are they an independent colony or another empire like yourself?
If the former, you might be able to simply colonize them (unless you've already tried that?). Kiadans are generally fairly well-disposed towards Humans, and any independent worlds inhabited by them are therefore more likely to allow you to colonize them if you make the attempt.
Well I obviously can't give too many specifics, but I have some really good weapons tech developed. I just completed or am about to complete the entire research tree for the rail guns / mass drivers.
I suppose the frustrating thing about this game is that even if I research rail guns, the ships that are produced (destroyers and cruisers) tend to be using torpedo weapons. I have tried to edit the ship designs, but I get all these crazy messages about not having enough this or that, etc, and then once you upgrade a ship, it seems like all the automatic "recommended" upgrades stop happening (ie: I built a "Mk II" cruiser with mass drivers, and when I later researched improved hyperdrives, the default cruiser was updated with new engines, but my Mk II was not. I don't want to spend the entire game in ship design mode...).
Once I have saved up enough money, I think I am going to build me a fleet of 10 capital ships and then go raid the pirate colony again. To my credit, it doesn't look like the pirates are repairing their spaceports, so maybe this is supposed to be a war of attrition thing...
New AAR is up on the front page
http://grogheads.com/?p=5462 (http://grogheads.com/?p=5462)
So is it actually possible to win vs the Shakturi? I just completed my first "storyline" game, and the bad guys were simply overwhelming...
Yes, it is possible to beat them, but there's no question it's a tough fight regardless of the outcome. Ally with as many races as you can, tech up as quickly as you're able, and pray the sons-of-bitches don't find/refurbish a Death Star before you have a fleet that can take it out. :buck2: It also helps a lot if you manage to stumble across the Way of the Ancients government -- gotta love them bonuses!
Even if you win, you can generally expect the Shakturi (and any insectoid allies they may have) to mess up your shit pretty bad before all is said and done...but you *can* defeat them. It's just difficult (not impossible).
What mods are you all using for DW: Universe. I've never tried any of them.
Extended Mod and AI Improvement mod.
I've also been meaning to try out the Picard-era Star Trek mod, but haven't gotten around to it yet. :-[
Quote from: Martok on April 12, 2015, 01:33:02 AM
Extended Mod and AI Improvement mod.
Can you use both at the same time. I've never tried any mods in DW, so not sure how that works.
Quote from: OJsDad on April 12, 2015, 07:17:28 AM
Quote from: Martok on April 12, 2015, 01:33:02 AM
Extended Mod and AI Improvement mod.
Can you use both at the same time. I've never tried any mods in DW, so not sure how that works.
The AI Improvement mod has an all in one version that combines both AI Improvement and the Extended Mod.
I use of both them as well. Wish the AI Improvement mod had been around when I was creating the combined mod for my AAR.
I also have the Star Trek: Picard Era mod. Its really good but I do wish they had opted for a full overhaul. Right now most of the original techs are still there, although some of the tech have been redone or renamed. Having things like rail guns, fighters, etc in Star Trek breaks the immersion just a little bit for me. But they stated from the beginning they didn't want to do a full overhaul and wanted to accommodate as many play styles as they could and it is their mod. Do highly recommend it if your a Star Trek fan.
kushan....are the mods in Steam Workshop?
Distant Worlds doesn't have a workshop on steam.
All compatible mods are here : http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3668624
Thanks PD, I'll have to check them out. How difficult is it to get them into a Steam version of the game?
Not difficult at all.
Download a mod. Extract as a new folder in the "Customization" folder, then run the game and switch to the mod theme (Main menu - Change theme).
The customization folder for steam is located here : Steam\Steamapps\Common\Distant World Universe\Customization
Thanks PD...!
I've downloaded the AI Extended mod. Playing at very hard level, I'm not very impressed with the ship or base designs that the AI is coming up with. So far, I've only seen ships and bases with missiles. Even after having researched Maxon and Gravitic beams and fighter bays, I only end up with missile armed units.
At first I was fine with it as I figured it was the best weapon of those available at the beginning. But after researching more advanced weapons, I had expected so see designs with those, especially one fighter bays where available.
Has anyone else noticed this.
Quote from: OJsDad on April 14, 2015, 12:16:56 PM
I've downloaded the AI Extended mod. Playing at very hard level, I'm not very impressed with the ship or base designs that the AI is coming up with. So far, I've only seen ships and bases with missiles. Even after having researched Maxon and Gravitic beams and fighter bays, I only end up with missile armed units.
At first I was fine with it as I figured it was the best weapon of those available at the beginning. But after researching more advanced weapons, I had expected so see designs with those, especially one fighter bays where available.
Has anyone else noticed this.
Do you have upgrades and / or retrofit set to manual, by any chance?
Sandman, no I don't. I set all designs to automatic. In vanilla games, I only set the military ships to manual and leave everything else to automatic.
Hmmm that's weird then. The AI mod (among other things) is specifically supposed to improve AI ship designs and upgrades. So the fact that you're not seeing ships retrofitted to better designs after unlocking better weapons etc. is puzzling.
That's what I also thought Sandman.
I've started a new game (got my butt handed to me). At the start, I made sure the Human policy file was loaded. So far, my defense bases all have beam only. I'm close to getting gravitic, so I'll see if those get added.
Yeh, something isn't right. I just researched fighter bays, got the prompt to upgrade with fighter bays, but they're not in the designs. Everything is only armed with gravitic beams. Strike has always been a staple of my bases.
This is very disappointing as this is one of the reasons I got this mod.