GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: bbmike on March 14, 2014, 10:47:55 AM

Title: Age of Wonders III and Warlock 2 Gameplay
Post by: bbmike on March 14, 2014, 10:47:55 AM
Just saw these game play videos were available!

Let's Play Age of Wonders III (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSvGqucXU5s)
Let's Play Warlock 2: The Exiled (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpBMZKE3irc)

Both look like must buys for me.  :)
Title: Re: Age of Wonders III and Warlock 2 Gameplay
Post by: FlickJax on March 14, 2014, 10:59:22 AM
Yup :)
Title: Re: Age of Wonders III and Warlock 2 Gameplay
Post by: JasonPratt on March 14, 2014, 10:59:54 AM
Cannot get enough breath to properly squee. Forgetting this thread exists so I can keep my buying to a minimum this year. Reminding myself I still haven't played five minutes on Warlock 1 (plus DLCs) yet.
Title: Re: Age of Wonders III and Warlock 2 Gameplay
Post by: mikeck on March 14, 2014, 11:59:55 AM
I don't even look until its released...just torturing myself
Title: Re: Age of Wonders III and Warlock 2 Gameplay
Post by: Greybriar on March 14, 2014, 12:17:05 PM
Here's a new Age of Wonders III video featuring the Theocrat leader class:

Title: Re: Age of Wonders III and Warlock 2 Gameplay
Post by: JasonPratt on March 14, 2014, 01:54:03 PM
NOT LOOKING NOT LOOKING NOT LOOKING NOT LOOKING NOT LOOKING NOT LOOKING NOTLOOKINGNOTLOOKINGNOTLOOKINGNOTLOOKINGNOTLOOKINGNOTLOOKINGNOTLOOKINGNOTLOOKINGNOTLOOKINGNOTLOOKINGNOTLOOKINGNOTLOOKINGNOTLOOKINGNOTLOOKINGNOTLOOKINGNOTLOOKINGNOTLOOKINGNOTLOOKING

{hastily clicking window closed}
{looking}
Title: Re: Age of Wonders III and Warlock 2 Gameplay
Post by: FarAway Sooner on March 16, 2014, 02:23:02 PM
I love these games, but the tactical battle trailers leave me somewhat uninspired.  The battle looks almost identical to Shadow Magic.  That worked well enough in its time, but all I see so far is an updated graphics overlay for a game play mechanism that's 10+ years old.

I'm excited about this title, and there's still lots to look forward to, but the tactical combat gives me very much a "been there, done that" feeling.
Title: Re: Age of Wonders III and Warlock 2 Gameplay
Post by: RedArgo on March 16, 2014, 03:33:19 PM
and didn't they lower the number of units per hex from SM?
Title: Re: Age of Wonders III and Warlock 2 Gameplay
Post by: tgb on March 16, 2014, 05:00:15 PM
Quote from: FarAway Sooner on March 16, 2014, 02:23:02 PM
I love these games, but the tactical battle trailers leave me somewhat uninspired.  The battle looks almost identical to Shadow Magic.  That worked well enough in its time, but all I see so far is an updated graphics overlay for a game play mechanism that's 10+ years old.

I'm excited about this title, and there's still lots to look forward to, but the tactical combat gives me very much a "been there, done that" feeling.

That's pretty much been my reaction to Warlock 2.  Other than some new avatars, updated graphics, and a campaign mode that seems to be ripped off from Eador, I'm not seeing anything new here.

I even reinstalled the original today to confirm my impression.
Title: Re: Age of Wonders III and Warlock 2 Gameplay
Post by: Nefaro on March 16, 2014, 05:51:28 PM
"If it's not broke, don't fix it."

?

The biggest complaint I heard about Shadow Magic was about the poor AI in the tactical battles, so perhaps that got fixed.
Title: Re: Age of Wonders III and Warlock 2 Gameplay
Post by: Pocus on March 17, 2014, 07:04:05 AM
Ao3 is down to 6 units per hex yes.

My biggest gripe against Warlord I were: no modding capability and dumb AI. I really hope that they did not go the easy way by just fancying further the already good looking graphics. They publish under Paradox, so hopefully modding & AI will be improved.
Title: Re: Age of Wonders III and Warlock 2 Gameplay
Post by: bbmike on March 17, 2014, 07:16:11 AM
Quote from: Pocus on March 17, 2014, 07:04:05 AM
My biggest gripe against Warlord I were: no modding capability and dumb AI. I really hope that they did not go the easy way by just fancying further the already good looking graphics. They publish under Paradox, so hopefully modding & AI will be improved.

I'll add lack of hotseat to that list.