GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: PAK on March 21, 2014, 05:40:45 AM

Title: Naval War: Arctic Circle 75% down on Gamersgate
Post by: PAK on March 21, 2014, 05:40:45 AM
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-NWAC/naval-war-arctic-circle

Question for naval warfare buffs - is it worth to buy it? Theatre and whole campaign idea is interesting, game can be described as harpoon-lite. But is it true that it is left dead in the water - developer is gone and there is no support? IIRC NWAC was heavily bugged, was it improved?
Hermann, I'm counting in your oppinion. ;-)

Cheers
Pawel
Title: Re: Naval War: Arctic Circle 75% down on Gamersgate
Post by: Asid on March 21, 2014, 05:52:53 AM
If i can remember.
The manual was very lacking.
Tutorials Very basic and lacking.
UI is basic and functional
Graphics are what you see is what you get. Very basic but functional.
AI was a mixed bag it was good at times and at others it was just stupid.

I think there is zero support by the devs but at that price it could be worth a punt. If you have Harpoon then this will likely dissapoint but again it's a good price. The gameplay though not deep, especially compared to other titles is good.

Hope this was helpful.

Regards
Title: Re: Naval War: Arctic Circle 75% down on Gamersgate
Post by: Asid on March 21, 2014, 05:57:07 AM
There was a free expansion released as well

Naval War Arctic Circle: Operation Tarnhelm

http://www.paradoxplaza.com/press/2012/11/naval-war-arctic-circle-operation-tarnhelm-released (http://www.paradoxplaza.com/press/2012/11/naval-war-arctic-circle-operation-tarnhelm-released)
Title: Re: Naval War: Arctic Circle 75% down on Gamersgate
Post by: undercovergeek on March 21, 2014, 06:02:13 AM
iirc it still doesnt have a save function
Title: Re: Naval War: Arctic Circle 75% down on Gamersgate
Post by: Shelldrake on March 21, 2014, 06:26:25 AM
Quote from: Asid on March 21, 2014, 05:57:07 AM
There was a free expansion released as well

Naval War Arctic Circle: Operation Tarnhelm

http://www.paradoxplaza.com/press/2012/11/naval-war-arctic-circle-operation-tarnhelm-released (http://www.paradoxplaza.com/press/2012/11/naval-war-arctic-circle-operation-tarnhelm-released)

Expansion is $4.99 on Steam so doesn't appear to be free. In any case, a decent game on the level of Jane's Fleet Command as long as you can live without a save game feature.
Title: Re: Naval War: Arctic Circle 75% down on Gamersgate
Post by: Asid on March 21, 2014, 06:29:43 AM
Quote from: Shelldrake on March 21, 2014, 06:26:25 AM

Expansion is $4.99 on Steam so doesn't appear to be free.

My mistake. I thought it was originally free.
Title: Re: Naval War: Arctic Circle 75% down on Gamersgate
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on March 21, 2014, 06:44:47 AM
It's not a bad game but there some serious problems with it.

As others have mentioned, there is no save feature for battles and as some of the larger scenarios last 4-6 hours, it's a major flaw.

The other problem didn't affect all users but it was common enough that Paradox recognized it and offered owners their choice of a free Paradox game by way of an apology.  For some users, the game would simply stop responding during play in some scenarios and a PC reboot was required. That happened on both my laptop and desktop PCs.
Title: Re: Naval War: Arctic Circle 75% down on Gamersgate
Post by: jomni on March 21, 2014, 07:05:09 AM
No save!
Title: Re: Naval War: Arctic Circle 75% down on Gamersgate
Post by: Herman Hum on March 23, 2014, 01:58:55 AM
Quote from: PAK on March 21, 2014, 05:40:45 AM
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-NWAC/naval-war-arctic-circle

Question for naval warfare buffs - is it worth to buy it? Theatre and whole campaign idea is interesting, game can be described as harpoon-lite. But is it true that it is left dead in the water - developer is gone and there is no support? IIRC NWAC was heavily bugged, was it improved?
Hermann, I'm counting in your oppinion. ;-)

Cheers
Pawel

The game is quite simplistic.  There are lots of folks who seem to have problems with this game.  I am one of them, but I have been able to play through every scenario available if I take precautions.  However, I think that not everyone is as lucky as I am.

Luckily, there is a demo so that you can see if you enjoy the game and whether it will run on your machine at all.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/200050/?snr=1_7_suggest__13

I prepared a video to help some folks past the obstacles.  It has helped some (many?), but it has reportedly not been able to solve everyone's problems.



If you should get the game, give me a shout if you would like an MP match.
Title: Re: Naval War: Arctic Circle 75% down on Gamersgate
Post by: tgb on July 28, 2014, 12:18:22 PM
$6 roughly on Steam this week.  Is this still being supported?  Did all the bugs ever get squashed, and, more importantly, was the save issue ever fixed?
Title: Re: Naval War: Arctic Circle 75% down on Gamersgate
Post by: Kushan on July 28, 2014, 12:22:04 PM
Quote from: tgb on July 28, 2014, 12:18:22 PM
$6 roughly on Steam this week.  Is this still being supported?  Did all the bugs ever get squashed, and, more importantly, was the save issue ever fixed?

Skip it. Developers abandoned it without fixing anything.
Title: Re: Naval War: Arctic Circle 75% down on Gamersgate
Post by: tgb on July 28, 2014, 12:26:37 PM
Good to know.  Thanks.
Title: Re: Naval War: Arctic Circle 75% down on Gamersgate
Post by: Huw the Poo on July 28, 2014, 12:51:09 PM
Quote from: Kushan on July 28, 2014, 12:22:04 PM
Skip it. Developers abandoned it without fixing anything.

Exactly this.  Damn shame.
Title: Re: Naval War: Arctic Circle 75% down on Gamersgate
Post by: Skoop on July 28, 2014, 12:59:21 PM
Everyone had the hopes that this would be a fleet command redo, so potential squandered.  Oh well now that command is out it scratches the naval warfare itch.  Would be great if command had 3d platform animation added down the road though.
Title: Re: Naval War: Arctic Circle 75% down on Gamersgate
Post by: RyanE on July 28, 2014, 01:33:07 PM
I am curious what the attraction is for a naval simulation having 3D pictures of the units.  To me, you are either the ship commander/officer in a 3D environment or in a command center monitoring the battle/situation on a map with units.  Why is there an desire to having a 3D display connected to a map that really doesn't make use of the 3D capabilities?

I always felt that command used up too much development and CPU resources trying to get that little 3D window to display.
Title: Re: Naval War: Arctic Circle 75% down on Gamersgate
Post by: Herman Hum on July 28, 2014, 01:54:52 PM
Quote from: tgb on July 28, 2014, 12:18:22 PM
$6 roughly on Steam this week.  Is this still being supported?  Did all the bugs ever get squashed, and, more importantly, was the save issue ever fixed?

No save function was ever added.  The game was abandoned by the developers 6 months after release.  The source code has been released for anyone who wants to try their hand at fixing it.
Title: Re: Naval War: Arctic Circle 75% down on Gamersgate
Post by: Nefaro on July 28, 2014, 01:56:43 PM
Quote from: RyanE on July 28, 2014, 01:33:07 PM
I am curious what the attraction is for a naval simulation having 3D pictures of the units.  To me, you are either the ship commander/officer in a 3D environment or in a command center monitoring the battle/situation on a map with units.  Why is there an desire to having a 3D display connected to a map that really doesn't make use of the 3D capabilities?

I always felt that command used up too much development and CPU resources trying to get that little 3D window to display.

Because seeing missiles fired or exploding is some superb manly sheeit.  Or just explosions in general.   :D

It may have been a processing power sacrifice in 1999, with such limited hardware performance back then, but that shouldn't be an issue these days if the software is efficient.
Title: Re: Naval War: Arctic Circle 75% down on Gamersgate
Post by: Skoop on July 28, 2014, 01:57:45 PM
The attraction is we live in 2014 with 4 gig video cards out there, put them to work.  Just love seeing the action play out in a 3d world.  It's a luxury item though, not a deal breaker, I'm fine with command the way it is. 
Title: Re: Naval War: Arctic Circle 75% down on Gamersgate
Post by: Herman Hum on July 28, 2014, 02:00:45 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on July 28, 2014, 01:56:43 PM
Because seeing missiles fired or exploding is some superb manly sheeit.  Or just explosions in general.   :D

It may have been a processing power sacrifice in 1999, with such limited hardware performance back then, but that shouldn't be an issue these days if the software is efficient.

Have you tried Global Conflict Blue 2?  I think it has 3D images.  However, I think they also recognize that building them is the slowest part of the game.
Title: Re: Naval War: Arctic Circle 75% down on Gamersgate
Post by: Skoop on July 28, 2014, 02:06:40 PM
I messed around with it once years ago, but it was in such a wip state, all the objects were generic place holders.  The interesting thing is both are affiliated with warfare sims, it would make sense to merge the 2 projects and have the GCB guys just focus on the 3d objects for command.
Title: Re: Naval War: Arctic Circle 75% down on Gamersgate
Post by: RyanE on July 28, 2014, 05:54:36 PM
I kind of hope they don't do it.  I want to see them focus limited resources on actual game play and UI.  There are a bunch of games out there that let you see stuff flying around and exploding.  Not sure I really want the Command guys distracted with it.
Title: Re: Naval War: Arctic Circle 75% down on Gamersgate
Post by: Nefaro on July 28, 2014, 07:27:00 PM
Quote from: RyanE on July 28, 2014, 05:54:36 PM
I kind of hope they don't do it.  I want to see them focus limited resources on actual game play and UI.  There are a bunch of games out there that let you see stuff flying around and exploding.  Not sure I really want the Command guys distracted with it.

No, Command doesn't need 3D graphics even if it's software would run okay with it.  It needs continued UI improvements & such and doesn't need such things.

But if some other title was being built up from scratch from someone else?  Sure.. I wouldn't complain.   Or if some people fixed this one up.
Title: Re: Naval War: Arctic Circle 75% down on Gamersgate
Post by: Herman Hum on July 29, 2014, 12:05:22 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on July 28, 2014, 07:27:00 PM

But if some other title was being built up from scratch from someone else?  Sure.. I wouldn't complain.   Or if some people fixed this one up.

I think that 3D images at any time are irrelevant and simply distract from the more important game functions.  Just imagine if NWAC had never bothered to waste any of their time on silly 3D images, they might have spent that time and investment more profitably on adding a Save function or fixed their memory leaks.  Every hour wasted on junk is one less hour spent on useful functions.
Title: Re: Naval War: Arctic Circle 75% down on Gamersgate
Post by: Toonces on July 29, 2014, 01:30:07 AM
WRT NWAC, like mentioned above, the source code was released.  There is some potential for development I suppose, but I kind of get the feeling the community is too small to make the game a contender.  I've goofed around with it some and if you're an enthusiast for the genre there is some interesting sandbox elements to it.  For $6 it might be worthwhile if you're really into that type of game.  I will say that CMANO is just far better, despite it being about 15x more expensive.

WRT 3D images, I certainly agree that they don't serve any use from making the game more accurate or whatever.  But since it's a game, I personally love having the ability to watch the game's 3D images.  After all, it's a game.  It's just cool to watch.  I wouldn't make 3D high on the priority list, though, at the expense of something like the UI or AI, or some other I.