GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: SgtRock on March 23, 2014, 02:07:57 PM

Title: Age of Decendence Demo
Post by: SgtRock on March 23, 2014, 02:07:57 PM
Age of Decadence is an RPG available for early release on Steam, there is also a demo.

What a strange game, graphics (8 & 16 bit) are like something from a 10 year old game and gameplay feels very odd, text selection based on skills. It's like playing some old text heavy game from GOG, you never heard of without a manual and despite putting in several hours I still don't know where this is headed or even what the goal is, all I can say is you die very quickly. The turn based combat is not good, if you face multiple foes, they attack and kill you before you even get a turn. Weapons, don't tell you what they really are, I can't tell difference between a dagger or sword? Reading a sign outside the Tavern says "Eat and Fuck for one low prices",  funny considering you can't tell the difference between male or female characters graphic wise.

There are hints of something very deep but, can't make heads or tails out of it, I think most players will die of boredom or frustration long before figuring it out. This seems to be one of those games where the demo just might kill it, before the game is even released. Why someone puts out a demo for an unfinished game is beyond me? 
Title: Re: Age of Decendence Demo
Post by: Gusington on March 23, 2014, 03:26:01 PM
I tried the demo a few times and it was completely unplayable and ridiculous.
Title: Re: Age of Decendence Demo
Post by: Nefaro on March 23, 2014, 05:18:24 PM
This thing has been in development for ages, and it shows.  I honestly didn't think it would ever see the light of a full release and the game itself looks like the old Fallout games from the 90s, which are pretty clunky by today's standards.
Title: Re: Age of Decendence Demo
Post by: Bletchley_Geek on March 23, 2014, 06:11:53 PM
It's the RPG the hardasses from RPGCodex.net wanted, and it shows. It tries so hard to be the "definitive anti-Bioware game" that it gets a bit tiresome.

I have put quite a few hours into it (I got into the Early Access program when they got that ready, although I've been lurking their forums for years now) and I am still left wondering whether I like the game or not. For each thing I like there's something that puts me down. For instance,

Title: Re: Age of Decendence Demo
Post by: Gusington on March 23, 2014, 07:40:28 PM
^Great post. I would love to read a book set in Age of Decadence's world. And now you have me looking into Beyond Divinity!
Title: Re: Age of Decendence Demo
Post by: Bletchley_Geek on March 23, 2014, 09:09:11 PM
Quote from: Gusington on March 23, 2014, 07:40:28 PM
^Great post. I would love to read a book set in Age of Decadence's world. And now you have me looking into Beyond Divinity!

The post-Roman twilight setting - with Magic playing the role of nukes - is intriguing.

Regarding Beyond Divinity: let's see how it pans out. My memories of previous Larian's games is that they were so buggy as to the point of being really frustrating. But the "it's like Ultima VII dudes" vibe I'm getting from Rock Paper Shotgun and the possibility of cooperative multi-player definitely got my attention. In any case, I'm prudent with this one.
Title: Re: Age of Decendence Demo
Post by: Nefaro on March 23, 2014, 09:17:47 PM
I have high hopes for the upcoming Beyond Divinity game because they look to be taking it back to they style of the original Divine Divinity, which was an excellent game in it's time.  The second one not so much, and that last 3D title they did was a mess with little resemblance.
Title: Re: Age of Decendence Demo
Post by: Rayfer on March 24, 2014, 08:40:19 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on March 23, 2014, 09:17:47 PM
I have high hopes for the upcoming Beyond Divinity game because they look to be taking it back to they style of the original Divine Divinity, which was an excellent game in it's time.  The second one not so much, and that last 3D title they did was a mess with little resemblance.

+1 to your comments. The original was a fun classic with a lot of well done humor as well. If this new one recaptures some of that feel it should be a good game.
Title: Re: Age of Decendence Demo
Post by: skeptical.platypus on April 14, 2014, 09:40:35 AM
I'm only about 10 hours in so far, on two different careers, and I am loving it so far. In the first hour of play, my Praetor:

1) Chose between taking the life, money, or a service to be earned later from a low-level merchant who had arranged to steal a map from my Lord,
2) Was offered money and power by the old loremaster advisor to my lord if I could help him make sure his replacement disappeared,
3) Met his replacement and introduced him to my Lord,
4) Invited a rival lord's loremaster back my Lord's pad, only to discover my Lord has taken him captive as a spy and was interrogating him to death,
5) Talked the spy into confessing instead of death. Uncovered Blue Steel plot of Surpassing Awesomeness,
6) Listened to a preacher and began the path toward enlightenment,
7) Made usurious loan to refugee smith and family when he couldn't afford entrance to the city, and
8) Was mugged and killed when I was invited back to a merchant's abode to view a private selection.

Awesome!
Title: .
Post by: eyebiter on April 14, 2014, 11:18:44 AM
.
Title: Re: Age of Decendence Demo
Post by: Nefaro on April 14, 2014, 02:25:59 PM
Quote from: skeptical.platypus on April 14, 2014, 09:40:35 AM
I'm only about 10 hours in so far, on two different careers, and I am loving it so far. In the first hour of play, my Praetor:

1) Chose between taking the life, money, or a service to be earned later from a low-level merchant who had arranged to steal a map from my Lord,
2) Was offered money and power by the old loremaster advisor to my lord if I could help him make sure his replacement disappeared,
3) Met his replacement and introduced him to my Lord,
4) Invited a rival lord's loremaster back my Lord's pad, only to discover my Lord has taken him captive as a spy and was interrogating him to death,
5) Talked the spy into confessing instead of death. Uncovered Blue Steel plot of Surpassing Awesomeness,
6) Listened to a preacher and began the path toward enlightenment,
7) Made usurious loan to refugee smith and family when he couldn't afford entrance to the city, and
8) Was mugged and killed when I was invited back to a merchant's abode to view a private selection.

Awesome!

That all sounds very interesting but my biggest concern is the interface and usability.  It looks pretty archaic in more than one way.

Have you been able to play it without tearing your hair out?
Title: Re: Age of Decendence Demo
Post by: skeptical.platypus on April 14, 2014, 05:57:23 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on April 14, 2014, 02:25:59 PM
Quote from: skeptical.platypus on April 14, 2014, 09:40:35 AM
I'm only about 10 hours in so far, on two different careers, and I am loving it so far. In the first hour of play, my Praetor:

1) Chose between taking the life, money, or a service to be earned later from a low-level merchant who had arranged to steal a map from my Lord,
2) Was offered money and power by the old loremaster advisor to my lord if I could help him make sure his replacement disappeared,
3) Met his replacement and introduced him to my Lord,
4) Invited a rival lord's loremaster back my Lord's pad, only to discover my Lord has taken him captive as a spy and was interrogating him to death,
5) Talked the spy into confessing instead of death. Uncovered Blue Steel plot of Surpassing Awesomeness,
6) Listened to a preacher and began the path toward enlightenment,
7) Made usurious loan to refugee smith and family when he couldn't afford entrance to the city, and
8) Was mugged and killed when I was invited back to a merchant's abode to view a private selection.

Awesome!

That all sounds very interesting but my biggest concern is the interface and usability.  It looks pretty archaic in more than one way.

Have you been able to play it without tearing your hair out?

I have not reached the hair-pulling stage, but my tolerance nears fanboi acceptance. The interface is. . . not good. But so far I haven't felt like I'm fighting the interface like I still do in Project Zomboid. I haven't experienced the frustration that most posters here have, but I can see where they are coming from.
Title: Re: Age of Decendence Demo
Post by: undercovergeek on October 16, 2015, 01:40:24 PM
well its out, theres a good reader review at RPS that says its very hard to unlock but once you get it, its awesome
Title: Re: Age of Decendence Demo
Post by: Rayfer on October 16, 2015, 02:01:02 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on October 16, 2015, 01:40:24 PM
well its out, theres a good reader review at RPS that says its very hard to unlock but once you get it, its awesome

I read the RPS review and came away disinterested in the game...maybe next year when it's seriously discounted.
Title: Re: Age of Decendence Demo
Post by: undercovergeek on October 16, 2015, 02:39:32 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on October 16, 2015, 02:01:02 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on October 16, 2015, 01:40:24 PM
well its out, theres a good reader review at RPS that says its very hard to unlock but once you get it, its awesome

I read the RPS review and came away disinterested in the game...maybe next year when it's seriously discounted.

ah no, not RPS review, a guy in the forums
Title: Re: Age of Decendence Demo
Post by: bob48 on October 16, 2015, 03:03:49 PM
Looks quite good.
Title: Re: Age of Decendence Demo
Post by: W8taminute on October 16, 2015, 03:50:22 PM
Steam voters give it an average of Very Positive out of 366 votes.  I watched a couple of let's play videos and the game does look like fun.  The only fear I have is if it is so easy to die and you have to repeat the first chapter over and over again until you get it, well that might be a turn off.