GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Asid on March 28, 2014, 10:18:19 AM

Title: DCS. Steam or non-Steam
Post by: Asid on March 28, 2014, 10:18:19 AM
Hi

Is it better to install DCS world + modules in steam or not?

Any thoughts/opinions?

Regards
Title: Re: Steam or non-Steam
Post by: JasonPratt on March 28, 2014, 11:23:46 AM
I have no opinion on the question, so I can't help there; but if possible I recommend retitling your thread so people will know what you're actually asking. As it stands the title looks like someone just trying to discuss the merits of Steam vs other options.
Title: Re: Steam or non-Steam
Post by: undercovergeek on March 28, 2014, 11:36:30 AM
.............and starting a big fight
Title: Re: Steam or non-Steam
Post by: Tuna on March 28, 2014, 12:17:26 PM
Didn't DCS start in STeam then leave? Is it back in STeam now?
Title: Re: Steam or non-Steam
Post by: Tuna on March 28, 2014, 12:18:29 PM
and DCS's Customer Service really sucks and their DRM is just as bad as BF's (BF's Customer Service is at least very quick).. so yes, I would prefer they be in Steam..
Title: Re: Steam or non-Steam
Post by: Asid on March 28, 2014, 12:24:08 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on March 28, 2014, 11:23:46 AM
I recommend retitling your thread so people will know what you're actually asking. As it stands the title looks like someone just trying to discuss the merits of Steam vs other options.

Done :)

Title: Re: Steam or non-Steam
Post by: Asid on March 28, 2014, 12:25:46 PM
Quote from: Tuna on March 28, 2014, 12:17:26 PM
Didn't DCS start in STeam then leave? Is it back in STeam now?

Apparently you can install in either as the DCS key works in Steam.
Title: Re: Steam or non-Steam
Post by: Nefaro on March 28, 2014, 01:42:43 PM
Quote from: Asid on March 28, 2014, 12:25:46 PM
Quote from: Tuna on March 28, 2014, 12:17:26 PM
Didn't DCS start in STeam then leave? Is it back in STeam now?

Apparently you can install in either as the DCS key works in Steam.

Does Steam host all their stuff now? 

And do you still have to use that terrible DRM?
Title: Re: DCS. Steam or non-Steam
Post by: Skoop on March 28, 2014, 01:58:48 PM
DCS is all about coop play to find it's true potential, you don't need steam for that.  I assume the keys work in both places, but I'd buy direct from them if it were me.  DCS on steam is just them trying to reach more customers.
Title: Re: Steam or non-Steam
Post by: Asid on March 28, 2014, 03:07:29 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on March 28, 2014, 01:42:43 PM

Does Steam host all their stuff now? 

And do you still have to use that terrible DRM?

I think they host all the modules.

I also think the same DRM is applied (deactivate/activate x amount)

I'm sure someone who has more knowledge can confirm.

Edit:
From the ED site:

"Can I use my modules purchased from ED Store on Steam?

Yes except for the Black Shark 1 Upgrade and the Flaming Cliff 3 package. "
Title: Re: DCS. Steam or non-Steam
Post by: Asid on March 28, 2014, 03:08:12 PM
Quote from: Skoop on March 28, 2014, 01:58:48 PM
DCS is all about coop play to find it's true potential, you don't need steam for that.  I assume the keys work in both places, but I'd buy direct from them if it were me.  DCS on steam is just them trying to reach more customers.

Yes the keys do work in both places.
Title: Re: DCS. Steam or non-Steam
Post by: Yskonyn on March 29, 2014, 04:21:51 AM
I would vote against DCS in Steam.
I am a big fan of Steam and of DCS, but the two do not like eachother very well, or at least such was the case in the past.

The DRM is seperate from Steam as is their update manager, so you do not gain anything anyway other than the ability to have a Steam overlay in game. But this caused problems in game before.

I have a seperate DCS install.
Title: Re: DCS. Steam or non-Steam
Post by: Asid on March 29, 2014, 07:50:41 AM
Yskonyn Thanks for your input.

At this point a stand alone install of DCS does seem a better option.
Title: Re: DCS. Steam or non-Steam
Post by: Toonces on March 29, 2014, 12:54:33 PM
Quote from: Yskonyn on March 29, 2014, 04:21:51 AM
I would vote against DCS in Steam.
I am a big fan of Steam and of DCS, but the two do not like eachother very well, or at least such was the case in the past.

The DRM is seperate from Steam as is their update manager, so you do not gain anything anyway other than the ability to have a Steam overlay in game. But this caused problems in game before.

I have a seperate DCS install.

^ This is my impression as well.
Title: Re: DCS. Steam or non-Steam
Post by: Nefaro on March 29, 2014, 03:04:22 PM
Quote from: Asid on March 29, 2014, 07:50:41 AM

At this point a stand alone install of DCS does seem a better option.

Yep.
Title: Re: Steam or non-Steam
Post by: Grim.Reaper on March 29, 2014, 03:40:58 PM
Quote from: Tuna on March 28, 2014, 12:18:29 PM
and DCS's Customer Service really sucks and their DRM is just as bad as BF's (BF's Customer Service is at least very quick).. so yes, I would prefer they be in Steam..

Not that we need another DRM discussion, but this I find interesting....DCS pretty much uses the same DRM as Battlefront (might have even started using before BF), but yet no long debate posts about how bad it is.....but for BF, they get all the hate for the same system.  Go figure.
Title: Re: DCS. Steam or non-Steam
Post by: Yskonyn on March 29, 2014, 04:03:07 PM
I think this is for the simple reason that CM is a wargame and DCS is not and therefore not a big part of the catalog of the many denizens that frequent these boards.