GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: tgb on April 09, 2014, 12:22:41 PM

Title: Aggression - Reign Over Europe
Post by: tgb on April 09, 2014, 12:22:41 PM
I never heard of it, but it's on Steam for $10 under the name Aggression.  Apparently it covers the first half of the 20th century in Europe, and Strategyinformer gave it a pretty good review when it was originally released (http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/aggressionreignovereurope/reviews.html), likening it to "Early 20th Century:Total War". Their main complaints seem to be polish - namely the graphics and interface.

Anyone here have first hand experience?
Title: Re: Aggression - Reign Over Europe
Post by: skeptical.platypus on April 09, 2014, 01:37:15 PM
Give'em some credit for expanding Wargame Title Word Options. But let's face it, "Reign Over Europe" needs some Iron, Steel, or Panzers. 
Title: Re: Aggression - Reign Over Europe
Post by: Apocalypse 31 on April 10, 2014, 09:35:19 PM
Quote from: skeptical.platypus on April 09, 2014, 01:37:15 PM
Give'em some credit for expanding Wargame Title Word Options. But let's face it, "Reign Over Europe" needs some Iron, Steel, or Panzers.

Steel Reign Over Europe would've been a play on words, and totally acceptable
Title: Re: Aggression - Reign Over Europe
Post by: WallysWorld on April 10, 2014, 10:42:33 PM
A "Let's Play" video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8nJ-Ceyr-s (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8nJ-Ceyr-s)
Title: Re: Aggression - Reign Over Europe
Post by: ArizonaTank on April 11, 2014, 04:52:06 AM
Buka's Pacific Storm and Pac Storm Allies are one of my guilty pleasures....  For $9 I'll give this one a go....  Now just need time to play it.
Title: Re: Aggression - Reign Over Europe
Post by: Apocalypse 31 on April 11, 2014, 06:10:47 PM
Quote from: ArizonaTank on April 11, 2014, 04:52:06 AM
Buka's Pacific Storm and Pac Storm Allies are one of my guilty pleasures....  For $9 I'll give this one a go....  Now just need time to play it.

I think the concept is great.

I love dynamic campaigns.

The unit control and pathfinding in tactical mode seem to have issues.

It makes me wish Combat Mission had a dynamic campaign with an operational mode....and the graphics of Company of Heroes.
Title: Re: Aggression - Reign Over Europe
Post by: skeptical.platypus on April 11, 2014, 06:28:19 PM
Quote from: ArizonaTank on April 11, 2014, 04:52:06 AM
Buka's Pacific Storm and Pac Storm Allies are one of my guilty pleasures....  For $9 I'll give this one a go....  Now just need time to play it.

Neither Pacific Storm nor Allies should be a guilty pleasure! I've never had a more satisfying torpedo bombing wave experience.
Title: Re: Aggression - Reign Over Europe
Post by: ArizonaTank on April 11, 2014, 09:44:38 PM
Quote from: skeptical.platypus on April 11, 2014, 06:28:19 PM
Quote from: ArizonaTank on April 11, 2014, 04:52:06 AM
Buka's Pacific Storm and Pac Storm Allies are one of my guilty pleasures....  For $9 I'll give this one a go....  Now just need time to play it.

Neither Pacific Storm nor Allies should be a guilty pleasure! I've never had a more satisfying torpedo bombing wave experience.

I said that because in Pac Storm, the tactical AI could be dumber than a rock.  As an example, I remember my US CA fleet at Wake being charged by a gaggle of Japanese submarines sailing on the surface.  The subs did not last long.  Also the music and voice overs could be pretty comical.  I loved it when a plane would go down and the pilot would say "this is the h". 

But on the serious side, Pac Storm is a great logistics game....maybe one of the best.

But back to Aggression, I did get about 40 min in today.  Kind of a light game.  Reminds me of Imperial Glory.  Have only played pre-WWI but inter-play of weapon types is interesting.  Cav used for screening.  Frontal assaults very expensive.  Need long range guns...inaccurate but devastating...to soften up enemy hardpoints.  Then douse with MG and field gun fire.  Finally send in the grunts to dig the enemy out.