GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: tgb on April 12, 2014, 03:30:11 PM

Title: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: tgb on April 12, 2014, 03:30:11 PM
The next 4X from Firaxis (http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/12/firaxis-revisits-alpha-centauri-territory-with-civilization-beyond-earth).

I'm meeting this with cautious optimism. I'm not reading anything that indicates Sid Meier had anything to do with development other than slap his name on it.  Plus, based on the development time, I get the impression is a big mod for Civ V.  I hope I'm wrong, but this seems like another Colonization.

Not that Colonization wasn't OK.  It that it was JUST "ok".
Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: Gusington on April 12, 2014, 03:33:38 PM
http://www.civilization.com/
Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: Rayfer on April 12, 2014, 03:37:49 PM
Screenshots in the first link remind me of Matrix's Pandora.
Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: Anguille on April 12, 2014, 04:00:10 PM
Quote from: tgb on April 12, 2014, 03:30:11 PM
The next 4X from Firaxis (http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/12/firaxis-revisits-alpha-centauri-territory-with-civilization-beyond-earth).

I'm meeting this with cautious optimism. I'm not reading anything that indicates Sid Meier had anything to do with development other than slap his name on it.  Plus, based on the development time, I get the impression is a big mod for Civ V.  I hope I'm wrong, but this seems like another Colonization.

Not that Colonization wasn't OK.  It that it was JUST "ok".
Sid had almost nothing to do with Alpha Centauri either...
Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: bbmike on April 12, 2014, 04:14:38 PM
You had me at Firaxis and 4X. Making like Alpha Centauri is just icing on the cake! This is AWESOME news!!!
Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: tgb on April 12, 2014, 04:16:08 PM
Quote from: Anguille on April 12, 2014, 04:00:10 PM
Quote from: tgb on April 12, 2014, 03:30:11 PM
The next 4X from Firaxis (http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/12/firaxis-revisits-alpha-centauri-territory-with-civilization-beyond-earth).

I'm meeting this with cautious optimism. I'm not reading anything that indicates Sid Meier had anything to do with development other than slap his name on it.  Plus, based on the development time, I get the impression is a big mod for Civ V.  I hope I'm wrong, but this seems like another Colonization.

Not that Colonization wasn't OK.  It that it was JUST "ok".
Sid had almost nothing to do with Alpha Centauri either...

I know it was a Brian Reynolds joint.  I just said that because everyone on the net is creaming their jeans today over the prospect of a "new Sid Meier game".
Title: .
Post by: eyebiter on April 12, 2014, 04:39:30 PM
.
Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: bbmike on April 12, 2014, 04:49:41 PM
Quote from: eyebiter on April 12, 2014, 04:39:30 PM
Hope the maps are larger than Civ V.

And meaningful diplomacy. God, let there be meaningful diplomacy this time!
Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: jomni on April 12, 2014, 09:21:45 PM
It is going to be CIV in space and not Alpha Centauri. So don't expect anything like it. But I like the idea and will be looking forward to this.
Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: FarAway Sooner on April 12, 2014, 10:04:24 PM
It sounds like they're trying to do a number of things a bit differently than other titles have tried to do in the last 10-15 years.  If they pull it off, this could be a darn good game.  I'll wait to see if they do so.
Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: bbmike on April 13, 2014, 07:25:17 AM
Quote from: jomni on April 12, 2014, 09:21:45 PM
It is going to be CIV in space and not Alpha Centauri. So don't expect anything like it. But I like the idea and will be looking forward to this.

I've kinda given up on a proper Alpha Centauri follow up much like Master of Magic so I'm not really expecting that. Civ in space will work just fine for me. It would even be nice to carry a game of Civ over into Beyond Earth.
Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: bayonetbrant on April 14, 2014, 12:32:44 PM
Droooooool

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/beyond-earth-takes-civilization-to-the-stars/1100-6418906/
Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: undercovergeek on April 14, 2014, 02:05:06 PM
Indeed.. very interested
Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: Keunert on April 14, 2014, 02:05:14 PM
Combat Mission in space?
Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: bayonetbrant on April 14, 2014, 02:18:51 PM
Quote from: Keunert on April 14, 2014, 02:05:14 PM
Combat Mission in space?

Civ5 in space
Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: Nefaro on April 14, 2014, 02:23:25 PM
You didn't say that correctly...


Civ.. INNN SPAAAAAACE!!1
Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: bbmike on April 14, 2014, 03:10:23 PM
Holy $%@#$!!!! Two words that stand out = orbital layer
Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: Gusington on April 14, 2014, 07:34:25 PM
^Does that mean there will be - space ship combat? Does the orbital layer kinda sorta = a shard in Warlock?
Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: bbmike on April 14, 2014, 08:01:43 PM
I hope it's like the space layer in Call To Power!
Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: MuzzyDev on April 15, 2014, 09:19:26 AM
Everything I've seen of this (and they did show a small amount of gameplay at PAX East) makes me think this will not be Civ 5ish or another Alpha Centauri.  AC was pretty grim, and that is not the tone of Civ games.  I'm very excited to see what they have come up with.  AFA dev time, keep in mind that Firaxis has at least two complete teams working on different projects at any given time.  I'm very optimistic we will see a solid game this fall.

Another good article here:
http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/12/5600008/civilization-beyond-earth-trailer-screenshots-announcement-sid-meier (http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/12/5600008/civilization-beyond-earth-trailer-screenshots-announcement-sid-meier)

And make no mistake, Sid has a hand in every game that comes out of Firaxis with his name on it.  If you never read or heard any interviews with Jake Solomon (XCOM designer) about how Sid interacts with the teams, they are worth looking up.

Chris--
Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: bbmike on April 15, 2014, 05:12:52 PM
Interesting article, thanks Chris. It made me think- I would love to see a future Firaxis game called Sid Meier's Civilization: Return to Earth where those Alpha Centauri (or wherever) survivors return to Earth to find ? ? ?
Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: Nefaro on April 15, 2014, 07:16:53 PM
Quote from: bbmike on April 15, 2014, 05:12:52 PM
I would love to see a future Firaxis game called Sid Meier's Civilization: Return to Earth where those Alpha Centauri (or wherever) survivors return to Earth to find ? ? ?

.. Hookers & Blow ? ?
Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: Gusington on April 15, 2014, 10:17:11 PM
^Giant alien brains in a jar?
Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: bbmike on April 16, 2014, 05:31:25 AM
^Close!

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aarcentral.com%2Fpics%2Fnix.jpg&hash=dbaca295d678575d8b3304422bead399b7b6bbb3)
Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: Staggerwing on April 16, 2014, 05:35:12 AM
Huh.
Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: sandman2575 on April 16, 2014, 08:51:07 AM
Quote from: bbmike on April 16, 2014, 05:31:25 AM
^Close!

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aarcentral.com%2Fpics%2Fnix.jpg&hash=dbaca295d678575d8b3304422bead399b7b6bbb3)

Arrooo!

Our opponents are the Brain Balls.  They've got a lotta brains, and a lotta chutzpah.
Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: Gusington on April 16, 2014, 09:15:10 AM
HA!
Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: sandman2575 on April 16, 2014, 09:32:15 AM
Futurama rocks.  Actually, I think that quote is not from Head of Nixon, but Zap Brannigan.  Either way, it's one of my faves.
Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: steve58 on May 20, 2014, 08:39:16 AM
...a designer interview in RPS:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/05/20/civilization-beyond-earth-impressions-interview/#more-207833
Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: bbmike on May 20, 2014, 10:20:29 AM
McDonough: I'm much more irreverent when it comes to Civ. My favorite Civ was Civilization Revolution, actually. There's a drama there and a speed there and a liveliness that the core Civ kind of lacks, and we're try to bring some of that into this project.

Uuuuhhhhggggg.  :(
Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: BanzaiCat on May 20, 2014, 05:26:15 PM
Civ Revolution doesn't even deserve the moniker "Civ Light." It's a bad port to mobile devices. My daughter LOVES Revolution, but as I am beholden to the 'real' version I cannot play Revolution for more than a few minutes. It's like the difference between Harrison Ford and Corky.

Not that there's anything wrong with Corky...it's just night and day between the two.
Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: Gusington on May 20, 2014, 05:53:16 PM
Who's Corky?
Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: bbmike on May 20, 2014, 07:00:22 PM
The dude from Life Goes On?  ??? Never watched that show.
Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: BanzaiCat on May 20, 2014, 07:52:49 PM
Me, either. But yes. I thought you were a child of the 80s, Gus.
Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: MetalDog on May 20, 2014, 08:24:41 PM
I'm a diehard Civ fan since the first iteration I played on the PlayStation One.  I own Revolution for my Nintendo DS.  It keeps me from going insane when I can't be in front of the PC to play Civ IV.  That's the best thing I can say about Revolution.
Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: steve58 on June 09, 2014, 01:31:40 PM
http://www.bluesnews.com/s/152226/sid-meier_s-civilization-beyond-earth-trailer-screenshots

Gametrailers has a first look gameplay/interview (http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/3tedfv/sid-meier-s-civilization--beyond-earth-first-look-gameplay-interview) up. ...and some new screenshots here (http://www.bluesnews.com/screenshots/games/civilizationbeyondearth/20140609/).

Looking pretty interesting.  Siege worms :o (I think thats what those critters are at about the 6:30 mark).  Coming out in Fall 2014.
Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: undercovergeek on June 09, 2014, 03:28:00 PM
Thank god for that..... I thought you were going to say it's out.... I have enough sh** to play
Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: TheCommandTent on July 03, 2014, 11:38:12 AM
New video up for the game and a release date, October 24, 2014

Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: Nefaro on July 03, 2014, 11:45:18 AM
So it looks like Civ 5 IN SPAAAAACE!  But still on a planet.   ???

Will the factions play differently or anything?
Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: steve58 on July 21, 2014, 11:41:57 AM
RPS has a Hands-On-type write up:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/07/21/hands-on-civilization-beyond-earth/#more-221619
Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: Rayfer on July 21, 2014, 12:22:53 PM
The screenshot with the article looks a lot like Matrix's Pandora. Not saying they play the same, just the look.
Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: steve58 on August 13, 2014, 02:04:24 PM
For those inclined to pre-ordering, GreenManGaming (http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/strategy/civilization-beyond-earth/) has a 25% off pre-order voucher (HEA34T-3L03RY-JLXOOR) for Civilization Beyond Earth.  Knocks the price down to $37.50.

Game releases on 10/24/14 on Steam.

(voucher can also be used on Dead Rising 3: Apocalypse Edition and Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor)
Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: tgb on August 13, 2014, 02:27:54 PM
Knowing GMG, it will probably go on sale a few more times before release - perhaps even the week of.  I'll get excited as October comes closer.
Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: steve58 on August 26, 2014, 02:48:01 PM

Quote
...50 minutes of lead designers Pete Murray and David McDonough playing and talking through civilization creation at the start of the spiritual successor to Alpha Centauri: selecting the sponsors who can fund and define your reason for travelling to the stars, the spaceship you're flying upon, the cargo you can put onboard, and how those choice and more can affect the faction you end up playing as when the game begins proper.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/08/26/civilization-beyond-earth-faction-creation/#more-229053


Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: BanzaiCat on August 26, 2014, 07:27:55 PM
On my must-buy list, but I can wait until the price goes down.
Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: Gusington on August 26, 2014, 08:22:42 PM
I typically wouldn't be interested but something about Beyond Earth looks great...and I loved Civ V. May get this on release...not sure yet.
Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: Greybriar on September 11, 2014, 10:52:48 PM
Here's a video showing The Solar Gamer playing the first 100 turns of Civilization Beyond Earth:

Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: Rayfer on September 12, 2014, 07:58:06 AM
Still can't get over how much it looks like Matrix's Pandora.  Just looks like, not saying it's the same in depth and detail.
Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 26, 2014, 04:02:23 PM
New play video from the morons at Giant Bomb.

Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: Steelgrave on September 26, 2014, 04:17:39 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on September 12, 2014, 07:58:06 AM
Still can't get over how much it looks like Matrix's Pandora.  Just looks like, not saying it's the same in depth and detail.

Right, but recall that Pandora is widely seen as an updated Alpha Centauri, which of course was created by Sid Meier, the man behind C:BE
Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: Nefaro on September 26, 2014, 04:19:33 PM
Civ 5.5 huh?  :P
Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: Steelgrave on September 26, 2014, 04:21:33 PM
I would call it a day one buy for me, but....being Civ, I've already pre-purchased it  O0
Title: .
Post by: eyebiter on September 27, 2014, 08:27:15 AM
.
Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: FlickJax on September 27, 2014, 08:57:11 AM
pre-purchased here too
Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: vyshka on September 27, 2014, 05:52:30 PM
A buddy of mine was at Firaxicon today and got to play for a while. Sounds like it will be good.
Title: .
Post by: eyebiter on October 14, 2014, 07:27:30 AM
.
Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: tgb on October 14, 2014, 08:31:33 AM
I had a 25% voucher with Greenman that was about to expire, so I used it to pre-order. 

You better not let me down, game.
Title: Re: Don't Call It Alpha Centauri II
Post by: BanzaiCat on October 14, 2014, 08:58:50 AM
I'm pretty happy with Warlock right now and no longer all that excited about this game. I will stay tuned to see everyone's reactions, though, to the game.