I have a closet full of solitaire wargames. I just finished a week's worth of Carriers!, and segue'd into Patton's Best.
I forgot just how hard this game is. I keep telling myself that I have to use advance fire, and to call in the arty!
I ran three missions, and lost three tanks. Just like that. Idiot me thinks it a GOOD idea to shoot at a Pak-75 at medium range.
In my defense, in two of the three games, I rolled a 98 and a 99 on a main gun shot, which malfunctioned the gun. Instead of reversing out of the map section, I kept trying to repair the main gun. With a 28% chance to do so, you'd think I could do it in 3-4 turns. Nope. SEVEN attempts, no success, and it was just a matter of time before I was targeted.
This is a very good game..and for those that are interested, there are variants on boardgame geek which lets you convert this excellent game to "Panov's Best." Instead of running a "Zippo" to its destruction, let's try a little T-34/85 action!!! WOOHOO!!!
I think I will try a little World of Tanks..I have decent success there!
I dusted of my copy of Patton's Best last year following a 20+ year hiatus...only to find the counters discolored by mold. It's still playable, but have been keeping my eyes open for a cheap copy on eBay, or may do up some replacement counters. I'll definitely work up the counters for the Panov's Best variant at the same time if I decide to go the DIY route. Perhaps I should take it for a test drive on Vassal and see if I still find it as entertaining as I remember.
I had a similar problem with my copy of UpFront. It was in worse shape than PB, with many of the counters disintegrating. I decided get it back in working order and think I ended up with a better product than when new. I traded a deck of cards for a partially complete copy of UpFront on BGG. Now have a great working copy with some DIY counters, a custom action deck, and many spare parts.
Most of my wargames from the early years faired worse, ending up in the landfill. Now I've turned super anal and clip/sleeve/laminate like a madman. Tossing my entire collection of Squad Leader games really hurt. Even that worked out for the better in the end as it finally forced me to embrace ASL.
Nice! I have the original Up Front in absolute mint condition, and I have all the variants that are available..Banzai, etc. I have worked out an acceptable solitaire variant, and migrate to it occasionally. Nothing better than to slap down a wire card when an enemy unit is in a stream!!!
I still have Tokyo Express and Gunslinger to go through here in the short-intermediate time frame. Dunno why I am busting out all my board games. If there were better PC games than these.....I would play them.
I need to find a used copy of Patton's Best sometime, as I never played it, but my gaming backlog has put a temporary halt on my purchasing at the moment.
Would be nice to have Tokyo Express too, but I think that one tends to be pricier these days.
^ http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pattons-Best-Avalon-Hill-Barely-punched-WW2-/171294842008?pt=Games_US&hash=item27e1f7dc98
Only about a day left. Get it before it's gone...
I picked up a used copy of Tokyo Express from eBay not so long ago. Still unplayed but will be sure to get to it some day as I love the subject. Looks like it's going to be a tough one to learn.
I seem to recall Patton's Best being relatively easy to learn, which is a big plus.
I have played Tokyo Express for many hours. I really enjoy the game system.
I am not a huge fan of the split cards to determine damage results. They're pretty extreme.
I really should sit down with the entire deck, determine the exact changes for each damage outcome, and develop a single chart using percentile dice for each calibre gun in the game. Wouldn't be that big of a project.
The thing I most enjoyed about PB is that it is one of the few solitaire games (for its time, anyway...newer games may have eclipsed it) where your decisions were very important to your success. Although I love(d) B-17 QotS and Raid on St. Nazaire, those games really made you feel as though you were just along for the ride, so to speak. Sure, there were minor decisions to be made, but ultimately good die rolls were had much greater impact than your tactical choices.
I've always wondered if there was a way to play PB as a "tank squad" game, sort of like the virtual B-17 QotS squadrons....
Fond memories,
Jack Nastyface
Gonna try to get a copy of Patton's Best at a decent price, despite things being tight over the next couple months. I doubt I'll win any bids, though, so let me know if you guys see an inexpensive copy somewhere in the future.
Quote from: Nefaro on April 15, 2014, 04:07:29 PM
Gonna try to get a copy of Patton's Best at a decent price, despite things being tight over the next couple months. I doubt I'll win any bids, though, so let me know if you guys see an inexpensive copy somewhere in the future.
I will say that this, B-17, and a few others have always found room in my gaming closet. I have run many thousands of missions in B-17..and kept elaborate statistics on all of them. Best was a top turret gunner with 36 kills!!!
Quote from: Nefaro on April 15, 2014, 04:07:29 PM
Gonna try to get a copy of Patton's Best at a decent price, despite things being tight over the next couple months. I doubt I'll win any bids, though, so let me know if you guys see an inexpensive copy somewhere in the future.
Here's another one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pattons-Best-Avalon-Hill-World-War-2-Tank-Board-Game-/310929836414?pt=Games_US&hash=item4864dcc97e
This one has 5 days left.
Quote from: Staggerwing on April 15, 2014, 06:17:01 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on April 15, 2014, 04:07:29 PM
Gonna try to get a copy of Patton's Best at a decent price, despite things being tight over the next couple months. I doubt I'll win any bids, though, so let me know if you guys see an inexpensive copy somewhere in the future.
Here's another one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pattons-Best-Avalon-Hill-World-War-2-Tank-Board-Game-/310929836414?pt=Games_US&hash=item4864dcc97e
This one has 5 days left.
Good price for an excellent game that will never see another reprint.
Quote from: Staggerwing on April 15, 2014, 06:17:01 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on April 15, 2014, 04:07:29 PM
Gonna try to get a copy of Patton's Best at a decent price, despite things being tight over the next couple months. I doubt I'll win any bids, though, so let me know if you guys see an inexpensive copy somewhere in the future.
Here's another one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pattons-Best-Avalon-Hill-World-War-2-Tank-Board-Game-/310929836414?pt=Games_US&hash=item4864dcc97e
This one has 5 days left.
Yes, I'm watching that one. I expect the bids to skyrocket a ways, however.
Quote from: DennisS on April 15, 2014, 06:54:42 PM
Good price for an excellent game that will never see another reprint.
Why no possible reprint in a time when reprints are popular? The rights holder refusing all such propositions?
Remember, even if you buy one in crappy condition, as long as you have the rules there is always VASSAL.
Quote from: Nefaro on April 15, 2014, 07:19:22 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on April 15, 2014, 06:17:01 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on April 15, 2014, 04:07:29 PM
Gonna try to get a copy of Patton's Best at a decent price, despite things being tight over the next couple months. I doubt I'll win any bids, though, so let me know if you guys see an inexpensive copy somewhere in the future.
Here's another one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pattons-Best-Avalon-Hill-World-War-2-Tank-Board-Game-/310929836414?pt=Games_US&hash=item4864dcc97e
This one has 5 days left.
Yes, I'm watching that one. I expect the bids to skyrocket a ways, however.
Quote from: DennisS on April 15, 2014, 06:54:42 PM
Good price for an excellent game that will never see another reprint.
Why no possible reprint in a time when reprints are popular? The rights holder refusing all such propositions?
This game's old enough that it's probably more a position of nobody even knowing who has the rights these days. And who knows how many people would even buy a new reprint?
I was just mentally comparing the situation to others. I mean.. RAF was reprinted, for example. Blackbeard. Etc etc. Of course the reprints of the old stuff actually have some new flash, even if it's only new artwork and some rules revisions. But many of them have extras.
Crap. That reminds me. I still need to play the new version of RAF. Amongst others. :-\ Too bad we can't purchase extra time, huh? :D
Quote from: Nefaro on April 17, 2014, 02:16:39 PM
I was just mentally comparing the situation to others. I mean.. RAF was reprinted, for example. Blackbeard. Etc etc. Of course the reprints of the old stuff actually have some new flash, even if it's only new artwork and some rules revisions. But many of them have extras.
Crap. That reminds me. I still need to play the new version of RAF. Amongst others. :-\ Too bad we can't purchase extra time, huh? :D
Yeah, that's true.
Actually, while we're discussing reprints, Fantasy Flight just announced they're giving it another go with DungeonQuest. They've apparently revamped the entire card combat system to strip it down to basics.
Quote from: Arctic Blast on April 18, 2014, 04:55:11 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on April 17, 2014, 02:16:39 PM
I was just mentally comparing the situation to others. I mean.. RAF was reprinted, for example. Blackbeard. Etc etc. Of course the reprints of the old stuff actually have some new flash, even if it's only new artwork and some rules revisions. But many of them have extras.
Crap. That reminds me. I still need to play the new version of RAF. Amongst others. :-\ Too bad we can't purchase extra time, huh? :D
Yeah, that's true.
Actually, while we're discussing reprints, Fantasy Flight just announced they're giving it another go with DungeonQuest. They've apparently revamped the entire card combat system to strip it down to basics.
Damn. Figures.
I love the Dungeonquest remake, if only for the much improved quality of the parts. The bad part about it was the new combat system's mini card game. It didn't really add much depth to the combat but instead just made it drag on longer. Luckily they included the two older combat systems as optional so I end up using one of the optional ones to keep it moving quickly. The new one took way too long and that just doesn't fly for a fast-moving game when you have more than two players.
I doubt any new combat system will be very flashy, so I probably don't need to be sad if I miss it. It needs a card add-on for more variety the most.
Scored the Patton's Best game from eBay, although I didn't get a great deal. Didn't expect to since those always have a bidding war on them. I didn't want to pass this one up since it was unpunched and looked unspoiled. A big deal for someone who's an OCD hand washer. Dirty/sticky used components make me cringe. :-[
FYI: for those that can't score a copy of the actual boardgame, there is a VASSAL module that I did the graphics for and a ZunTzu gamebox that I put together for PB:
http://www.garykrockover.com/zuntzu/
http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Patton's_Best
I don't think that I included all of the charts in the ZunTzu gamebox but the VASSAL module may have them. If not, poke around BGG, the rules and tables should all be there.
Cool.. I need to d/l the Vassal & ZunTzu versions for those times when I feel like a quick game but already have something set up on the table(s).
Gary, I might need a little help with a VASSAL project. Just a few pointers. Would it be ok to PM you this weekend?
Absolutely. My VASSALizing may be a bit rusty but I may be able to help you.
Thanks man!
Is "Panov's Best" a user-created set you can d/l and print? Or is it an add-on someone sells?
I just received a near pristine copy of Patton's Best. Happy I could find an unused one.
Quote from: Nefaro on April 23, 2014, 03:41:01 PM
Is "Panov's Best" a user-created set you can d/l and print? Or is it an add-on someone sells?
I just received a near pristine copy of Patton's Best. Happy I could find an unused one.
I posted a link to it somewhere on these forums a while back. There's also a Wehrmacht version out there.
EDIT: Aha! http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=7954.msg196305#msg196305
Guderian's Best: http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/83185/guderians-best-v3? (have to log in to D/L)
Panov's Best: http://www.battlesmagazine.com/eshop/doc/6/BATTLES6_Panov-sBest.pdf
Quote from: Nefaro on April 23, 2014, 03:41:01 PM
Is "Panov's Best" a user-created set you can d/l and print? Or is it an add-on someone sells?
I just received a near pristine copy of Patton's Best. Happy I could find an unused one.
The T34/85 is a HELL of a lot more fun to play than the Sherman.
Panov's Best also includes even bigger uprated guns, all the way to 152mm.
It's nice to shoot at stuff, and not rely on a critical hit to penetrate!!!
Thanks for the links Stagger. 8)
Panov's Best looks even more fun than the original.
I just pulled out my copy of Patton's Best and am going through the rules (again). I remember this being a really fun title. I think that I'm going to try one of those variants as well.
I have an ebook of the rules/charts that I put together. If anybody is interested in a copy of it, I can upload it and make it available for download. For those that are having problems grabbing a copy of the game, this would allow you to play it via VASSAL/ZunTzu.
Thanks for the work you did on this, Gary. Looks fantastic. I dug out my old copy of Patton's Best along with my Ambush! boxes. I was going to put Patton's Best on eBay too, but I think I'll hold onto it now. Looks like it would be fantastic AAR-bait. :)
Yeah, PB would make a good game for one of those forum based co-op AAR's ala B-17 and Ambush.
Do tell!
Quote from: GJK on June 02, 2015, 03:36:30 PM
Yeah, PB would make a good game for one of those forum based co-op AAR's ala B-17 and Ambush.
and you're starting up when...? ;)
Explain to me how PB can be a good multi-player game.
I immediately thought it would be good as a story, to put five forum members into a Sherman and go for it, but giving them control would only make it interesting for one, maybe two, of the five. I can't imagine it would be fun to play the Loader.
Commander: "Load AP."
Waiting...
Waiting...
Waiting...
Game Ref: "Well, as soon as whatsisname says "I load AP," we'll be able to continue."
:D
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on June 03, 2015, 06:15:24 AM
Explain to me how PB can be a good multi-player game.
I immediately thought it would be good as a story, to put five forum members into a Sherman and go for it, but giving them control would only make it interesting for one, maybe two, of the five. I can't imagine it would be fun to play the Loader.
Commander: "Load AP."
Waiting...
Waiting...
Waiting...
Game Ref: "Well, as soon as whatsisname says "I load AP," we'll be able to continue."
:D
I was going to give examples of how the loader could portray a soft-porn version of their actions with the large shell going in to the gun breech but I'll save that.
How well have the B-17 QoTS interactive AAR's been going? I imagine that it would suffer from the same lack of interactivity as well.
Nice segue into calling me out on an AAR I haven't started yet... 8)
But good point.
In the AAR I was just going to tell the story of the bomber and crew. I wasn't going to play this like Barth's excellent Ambush! forum game, but instead, just use forum members' names to bring a little more life to it. I kinda did something like that in the B-29 Superfortress AAR I started/stopped and want to do something similar with the Hell Over Korea expansion (eventually).
For this, I was seeing it exactly the same way. With the first post say "Who wants to serve in this Sherman tank?" and name it "Pun-inator" or something stupid. Guys sign up, I fill in the roster, and away we go.
I guess I could see this as a multi-player game; it just seems like it would be dull for some (like the Loader) and more interesting for others (Commander, Gunner).
So when you said "forum based AAR" I thought you meant something like the virtual B-17 Squadrons for QotS, where everyone flies a mission, reports back, and the "moderator" weaves a bit of a story together.
Could be that you let the forum members serve as the 'spirit' of the tank, in the sense that, the first forum member to post a legitimate instruction makes it happen. So it doesn't have to be on just one person to take a specific role...someone states an action, the GM does it, someone states another action (perhaps the same person, maybe someone else), etc.
I'm pretty sure (could be wrong) that this would be ultimately limited to two or three forum members regularly giving instructions whereas the rest of the viewers will just be along to watch and see how long it takes for the Sherman to brew up.
The point is, the GM person gives complete control to the forum members, answers questions about what can and cannot be done, and otherwise regulates game play (including die rolls), and gives the narration/updates. As long as the instructions are clear and legitimate (e.g. not "Open the top hatch, raise the white flag, head towards German lines while singing Deutschland Über Alles" at the top of our lungs), it might actually work.
I guess I should ask, is there any interest in doing that?
It might take me a few weeks to get started - I need to read through the rules and wrap my head around the game again.
Fire it up! Let's go blow shit up! :bd:
I've got a version of Patton's Best by John Salt that he calls Churchill Troop Commander and he runs it as a coop multiplayer game. Basically John and perhaps an assistant or two take care of running the Germans and events while players each run one tank. I'll try to find the issue of the Nugget where he describes it, and that issue should be available online for free at this point (Nugget is the journal of Wargames Developments Group). It requires players to behave with a certain amount of "culturally appropriate behavior" to pull it off. They don't have to actually be tankers, but it helps if they have some basic understanding of real world tank operations at a tactical level.
His description of the game in action is inspiring, with tales of commanders broadcasting platoon orders on their tank's internal comms or vice-versa and the reaction of wargamers used to "traditional" wargames to an empty battlefield.
Interesting variant. I'm guessing that the issue you mention should be somewhere here: http://www.wargamedevelopments.org/nugget.htm
Yep, not sure which issue off the top of my head though.
Will try to find it.
Yeah, it was too much to look through last night. I figured that some one with more free time than me might take up the challenge.
I have this game out on my gaming table now. It replaced Thunderbolt/Apache Leader, and that is darned difficult to do.
I have played this a LOT over the last 30 years. Not as much as QotS, but a lot. Rule number one...don't shoot at the Pak40's, unless you are head on, and hull down.
The combat rules are difficult to wrap my head around. After a few rounds I figured I was doing it all wrong, which was frustrating. I need time to absorb it better.
Quote from: Staggerwing on August 15, 2017, 05:27:53 AM
Yeah, it was too much to look through last night. I figured that some one with more free time than me might take up the challenge.
Check issue #228. Think that is the first I read of it.