This is an interesting article from Ars Technica:
Analyst: PC gaming now brings in more money than console gaming (http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/04/analyst-pc-gaming-now-brings-in-more-money-than-console-gaming/)
QuoteIn statements reported by UK tech site PCR, Cole said that PC games were bringing in more revenue than console games on a global basis, though he added that the recent launch of new game consoles could change things in the near future. "Among core gamers there is a heavy overlap with most console gamers also playing on a PC," Cole said. "The big difference is that consoles are now the luxury item and PCs are the necessity. Just a few years ago the reverse was true. This means PCs have the broader audience."
The growth in PC spending is being driven heavily by the explosive growth in MOBAs like League of Legends and Dota 2, Cole said. That certainly gels with what we found in our recent Steam Gauge analysis, which shows Dota 2 dominating in a number of gameplay statistics.
I think the analysis is correct to point out that this could be due to the success of MOBAs (yuck - I hate that genre), and the end of the lifespan of the old consoles. However, I think it also reflects a general decline - or maybe retrenchment is a better word - in gaming. The heady days of 2004-2008 seem to be over. Now, like Hollywood, it is either endless sequels from the big studios, or a plethora of indie titles that take forever to mature (if they ever do). There always are a few good games every year, but they seem to be fewer and fewer all the time and, interestingly, those better titles seem to be PC exclusives lately (Kerbal Space Program, Red Orchestra 2, Hawken, Crusader Kings 2, and others).
In other words, it almost feels like gaming is heading back to the late 1990s. :D
Ehh.. as newer generations become more widely tech savvy, and grow up using computers, they have less fear of using them. The gaming on them is an obvious side effect because there are many advantages to PC gaming including price, wider ranges of genres, more intricate or niche games with multi-player, and numerous others. It's a much more diverse selection for when people get sick of the same few console games remade with different names and a logical evolution for those looking for more.
Quote from: Nefaro on April 29, 2014, 04:25:02 PM
Ehh.. as newer generations become more widely tech savvy, and grow up using computers, they have less fear of using them. The gaming on them is an obvious side effect because there are many advantages to PC gaming including price, wider ranges of genres, more intricate or niche games with multi-player, and numerous others. It's a much more diverse selection for when people get sick of the same few console games remade with different names and a logical evolution for those looking for more.
I think that is an excellent summation. And if true, such an attitude will soon relegate consoles to a niche. Perhaps those rumors about MS wanting to sell their XBox franchise to Amazon are true.... :-\
BTW: the arrival of the budget "Steam Machines" (and others) could accelerate this trend.
Cool article...I didn't even think it was possible. Of course the definition of PC and console will continue to blur as time goes by.
Well where do all of those 'PC gaming is dead' conspirators go now?
This agrees with my gaming habits. I completely stopped playing console these days.
Quote from: W8taminute on April 29, 2014, 10:00:05 PM
Well where do all of those 'PC gaming is dead' conspirators go now?
Surely the mutual appreciation society at Wargamer.com can keep up their sky is falling routine for another half decade, at least. They'll undoubtedly use the indefutable argument that no computer game released since the mid to late 90's could possibly achieve the same level of nirvana and perfection as evidence of the decline, and blame it all on anyone in the 21st century who might have actually enjoyed a moment of pleasure in front of a keyboard and dare mention it.
Also: Justin Beiber. He doesn't have anything to do with it, but I'd still like to taint The Posters of Doom with him.
Quote from: W8taminute on April 29, 2014, 10:00:05 PM
Well where do all of those 'PC gaming is dead' conspirators go now?
Back to a landfill in New Mexico (http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/26/the-dig-uncovering-the-atari-et-games-buried-in-new-mexico-desert).
Hey I liked that ET game back in 1983.
Oh wait - no I didn't.
Curious how many folks around here are both PC and console gamers. I ditched my XBox about 10 years ago and haven't gone back. But I am seriously tempted to buy a PS4 in order to play MLB the Show 14, because it looks freaking amazing.
I bought the first PlayStation in 1998 and then ditched it when I would afford a new PC.
I had and Xbox and currently have an XBox360.... but I feel no real pull to get another console...
I was actually a console-only gamer for a brief few years in the mid nineties. I grew to downright loathe the console game selection, other than some rare Koei strategy games translated to Engrish (if you could find them). I eventually got a new PC and didn't look back at those terrible days. My only notable enjoyment was the regular head-to-head sports game trash talking sessions over some beers with friends (mostly Madden, but some others). The console variety and sophistication may have improved a bit since then, but it is still relative.
I only use a PC. I would be very tempted with a console if my boys were older. In that regard I think it is a more fun platform for social inter family style gaming than PCs
Con
Quote from: Con on April 30, 2014, 01:08:34 PM
.... In that regard I think it is a more fun platform for social inter family style gaming than PCs
Con
This is the only reason I first got a console, my gaming buddies moved all over the province and XBox Live was a way we could all game together at least once a month.
Quote from: Con on April 30, 2014, 01:08:34 PM
I only use a PC. I would be very tempted with a console if my boys were older. In that regard I think it is a more fun platform for social inter family style gaming than PCs
Con
You would think so but the youngsters I know nearly always play
Terraria and
Minecraft on computers together when they have the chance, amongst other things.
I've been both a console and pc gamer since 1989. I will always play games on both of these outlets. The only outlet I'm not really a big fan of is mobile but I still have some games that I like.
Though I've been tempted at different times in my life, I've never owned a gaming console.
I own a PS3 and only seem to use it to watch HULU, Netflix, and Amazon Prime. To date I have only bought 1 PS3 game, Oblivion, which I already owned for the PC.
The game controller has been the biggest hurdle to enjoying console games. After 25-odd years of keyboard/mouse/hotas PC games my brain must just be wired wrong. :-\
Quote from: Staggerwing on April 30, 2014, 06:54:53 PM
I own a PS3 and only seem to use it to watch HULU, Netflix, and Amazon Prime. To date I have only bought 1 PS3 game, Oblivion, which I already owned for the PC.
The game controller has been the biggest hurdle to enjoying console games. After 25-odd years of keyboard/mouse/hotas PC games my brain must just be wired wrong. :-\
I think that's my biggest problem with these consoles. I can handle the old Atari joystick or the basic four arrow/two button controller, but add anything more than that and I get confused real quick. :P
Only thing that I use my Wii for is various pinball titles. Consoles seem to do those better than PCs.
Once Valve deploys their linux-based OS that will let you seamlessly play on your PC and then continue the same game on your TV, the consoles will essentially be obsolete. I'm also finding the Steam controller to be easier to use than the traditional console controllers.
Chris--
*Moves chair closer* Uh... so you actually have one of those fabled controllers?
Soooo...
What's it like? :o
Quote from: Staggerwing on May 02, 2014, 10:07:23 PM
*Moves chair closer* Uh... so you actually have one of those fabled controllers?
Soooo...
What's it like? :o
Yeah, a couple of our guys went out to Steam Dev Days and everyone got a controller. We actually enabled it to work with Making History: The Great War and brought it to our booth at PAX East. It attracted a LOT of interest! The main difference is the discs for primary control act more like touch screens than buttons, so you need a lot less pressure compared to a joystick button.
Quote from: bbmike on April 30, 2014, 06:03:21 PM
Though I've been tempted at different times in my life, I've never owned a gaming console.
I still have my Intellivision but I have no idea how to hook up the cable box to these new flat-screens... :o The last time I took the flat head screwdriver to the back of one, I got shocked. :'(
I have had no reason to think about buying another.
If I'm playing games on my PC, I usually have the TV on as well. So for me buying a console would probably necessitate buying a monitor/TV also. I don't have much time for time-wasters, though I do regret that certain games have stopped or had infrequent support for the PC. My list includes Call of Duty and NHL Hockey. I had actually loaned uniforms from my collection so they could put a Canadian into one of the CoD versions (CoD 3, I think), and I have yet to see it.
Quote from: MuzzyDev on May 05, 2014, 10:40:07 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on May 02, 2014, 10:07:23 PM
*Moves chair closer* Uh... so you actually have one of those fabled controllers?
Soooo...
What's it like? :o
Yeah, a couple of our guys went out to Steam Dev Days and everyone got a controller. We actually enabled it to work with Making History: The Great War and brought it to our booth at PAX East. It attracted a LOT of interest! The main difference is the discs for primary control act more like touch screens than buttons, so you need a lot less pressure compared to a joystick button.
:o