Finally! Flying Cars.

Started by besilarius, January 04, 2017, 07:57:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

bayonetbrant

Please God, NO!

I've seen the way these idiots drive. No chance I want them in the air over my house
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Barthheart

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 04, 2017, 08:19:33 AM
Please God, NO!

I've seen the way these idiots drive. No chance I want them in the air over my house

This is the main, and most important, reason we don't have flying cars.  :timeout:

Staggerwing

Even if you fully automated the whole trip you'd still have various drunks or whatnots try to frakk with the innerworkings of the things while under way and send them crashing into hospitals and such. The tricky question would be this: would those incidents be fewer in number than the various traffic fatalities that would occur while this same drunks were driving cars? Also add in the number of accidents prevented by taking even more non-meddling drunks out of their cars and put them into automated planes where they will be happy just to sit and enjoy the view.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

OJsDad

Quote from: Staggerwing on January 04, 2017, 08:45:43 AM
Also add in the number of accidents prevented by taking even more non-meddling drunks out of their cars and put them into automated planes where they will be happy just to sit and enjoy the view.

Or drink more!
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

JasonPratt

We've had flying cars since the 50s. They're called helicopters. They don't even necessarily cost more than a car to buy; you can get a fairly nice one, like a family station wagon, for around 40 grand. (Plus another 8 for someone to put it together.)

Ask a professional aviator in the military (where the tech is cutting edge) how feasible he thinks it is for helicopters to be completely computer controlled.

Oh, we have drones now? Actually, so do I! -- a computer controlled drone, very top of the line, around $1200 when I bought it on a Kickstarter campaign.

Drones, even computer controlled ones, are heavily regulated. I've never flown mine once. There are reasons for this. They work well in some situations, not so much around where people live, work, and travel.

While the number of accidents could well be reduced by automated drone-copters:

1.) they cannot even possibly be as physically efficient for traveling as ground vehicles. Mass flights would at best involve a ludicrously exponential increase of an exponential increase in resource expenditure. Unless we develop effectively magic energy tech (and maybe some other effectively magical tech), this won't be good for any human society. Which is one reason why science-fiction routinely portrays this kind of scenario using effectively magical tech. That isn't just narrative design convenience. Looking at it another way, ask any helicopter pilot (or even hovercraft pilot) how easy it is, compared to a car or truck, to come to a stop. A safe, controlled stop, not just hitting the ground, although that leads to:

2.) flying vehicle accidents must by physical necessity be inherently more destructive than ground vehicle accidents. That's just a factor of gravity and mass if nothing else, but factors of propulsion and fuel would also apply at least, probably also speed, as well as extending the potential target reach of the accidents at least a little bit (and in any practical reality for having flying cars at all, extending it a lot) by adding height.

This doesn't even count the multiplied terror potentials. Even now, one reason mere drones are being heavily regulated is due to their terrorist capabilities. Helicopters aren't easy to fly, so having to fly them manually restricts that kind of problem a lot. Even hijacking a plane, usually involves making other people fly it, even when the hijackers have some real pilot training. Making it easier for any untrained guy to fly helicopters, opens that can of worms a lot.

In short: helicopters. We have helicopters already, and there are reasons beyond difficulty flying them (though that's a reason, too, and one which automation can only go so far in solving) why our skies are not already filled with even one hundredth of the number of cars and trucks in copters.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

I should clarify I loovvvveee helicopters. If I could move out west and had the money to do it, I'd fly one all the time. My Dad was a master chief in charge of copter maintenance in the Navy during Vietnam. (The fleet admiral actually wanted him to go to officer school and come back to be in charge of copter fleet maintenance under his command; but he had promised to marry Mom.  :smitten: So he didn't re-enlist.)

We both fully agree, Dad moreso than me from professional (and non-virtual  :nerd: ) experience, that even in the best possible case scenario (shrouds to protect people and environment from propulsion, etc.), lots of copters would be a freakishly bad idea.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bbmike

#:-) Again, people still can't handle two dimensions when driving. Bad, bad idea!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Sir Slash

Flying Cars would be cool. But how would you change a tire at 10,000 ft.? Or go through the Drive-Up lane at the bank or Sonic for that matter? On the other hand, I don't reckon the police could hardly pull you over for a ticket. So...... ^-^
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

DoctorQuest

Larry Niven had flying cars in his "future history". His premise was there was no way you could have them without automation within certain airspaces. You get outside the city, fine, you can drive yourself but we would probably need to use the FAA-type airspace classifications to determine where automation would be required.

There are a lot of issues around how this would all work but if it ends up being economically feasible I'm sure we'll try to figure it out. If you think about it having three dimensions would actually have the potential to reduce traffic congestion somewhat.

And people would need to get over the fact that automation would not be voluntary.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 04, 2017, 08:19:33 AM
Please God, NO!

Canadian snowbird flying over Miami..........   :tickedoff: :uglystupid2:
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Sir Slash

Too true. And then you know the Brits would always try to fly on the wrong side.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.