Main Menu

Combat Command

Started by Tinkershuffle, July 21, 2014, 12:58:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bison

Yeah the withdrawal bug was the one I was thinking of being the biggest issue.  I guess I didn't realize they addressed the issue.  I just remember there being a long period of neither matrix or the developer addressing the community concerns.  Maybe I need to relook the game and I can play through my annoyance with the turn phasing. 

-budd-

Well it did take alot of forum browbeating to get them to address it finally, the withdrawal bug was a game stopper.. Apparently it has one of the easiest editors for those that like to make scenarios. From reading the forums again it looks like Jmass's map mod was included in the last patch. The game is solid as is, it's obvious there will be no more support or development. I'm a fan of the game's simplicity and for $10 its a solid product  for sure and i actually like the phases play.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Tinkershuffle

#17
Thanks for the info budd, is this the map mod you were talking about?

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3145509

Edit. Sorry, I had Matrix forums set to display only messages from the previous 365 days, didn't notice there was a separate thread for JMass mod.

ArizonaTank

The price was right, so I bought the game.  I had heard that reading the rules was highly recommended, and after reading, I see why.  The game has a strict sequence of play that has a great board game feel to it...in a good way.  If you just tried to jump in and play however, it might seem disorientating. 

Anyway, I played Guadalcanal against a Japanese AI, with no bonuses and balanced AI attacks.  It was nice....  Finished the game in about an hour.  I really like the enforced chain of command, supply system, and the fact that you must really manage unit postures.  It takes some planning and coordination to launch attacks and maintain defenses.  If you are careful, you can pull disrupted units to the rear, and have them recover. 

The AI came at my right flank pretty hard, and caused me to withdrawal, and disrupted several of my units.  I was forced to reinforce the flank with my few reserves, including my tanks.  After several turns of solid defense, the AI attack on my right was broken.  On my left, the AI just sat there, while I pounded it with defensive fire.  I won a total victory, and after the game I noticed the AI had three or four very strong units on my left that I never saw, and the AI never even tried to attack with. 

Overall, I love the way the game plays.  But it has a strong "board-game" feel to it, and may not be for everybody.  I think it would be great in PBEM mode. 

Against the AI however, I still am not certain about how good it is...and need to play some more.  While the game had me on my heels for about five turns, it never really recovered from a mid-game bloody nose I gave it.  It also did not move about 1/3 of its forces.

Still, a solid buy for $9 IMHO. 
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.