Thank you Asid and Jarhead

Started by JudgeDredd, August 20, 2014, 01:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JudgeDredd

You both are responsible for cutting my gaming expenditure.

Jarhead
Ever since Elite:Dangerous came out on early alpha and I spotted your post I thought you were a bit mental. $150 I think it was you paid for an ALPHA! I thought your gaming expenditure had went haywire.

I read with interest, keeping my eyes on every post and decided to take the plunge myself at £100 - normally a crazy price for a game for me. But jump in I did. Initially there was very, very little to do and I was wondering what I had done...but I was in it for the long haul. Well, 3 months later and there's considerably more available to do. It's coming on superb. Whilst I do get frustrated at losing 20 vouchers for kills in the FDS with a stooped head on collision, I don't think I'd want it to be too easy to make money. So whilst when it happens it's frustrating, you can make a fair living...30 minutes in the FDS can net you 10k.

There's also trade now. I think 4 slots is pretty poor for the initial ship...and I'm not a fan of things being the same (4 slots = 4 Animal Meat or 4 slots = 4 Crop Harvesters) - but either that will change or you just think of it as "generic" slots - not 4 pieces of meat, but 4 cargo holds full of meat (which is probably the way it was intended anyway).

I've been playing this a lot recently and making some money here and there, thanks to UCG mentioning trade and several posts about the FDS.

It's a superb game and gets all my gaming time...I genuinely can't remember the last time I started up a different game and gave it any length of time......

.......except......

Asid
.....for Steel Beasts Pro (PE. What a fantastic sim. Even with all it's rough edges, the content of this game, availability of missions in game, the ease of setting up a networked game and the thrill of playing online make it head and shoulders the best game I currently have.

Asid has made learning the game a pleasure and easy, being patient and giving lots of advice (even though he admits he's no expert himself, he's a fountain of knowledge - and if he doesn't know, he knows a man (or source) who does)

I took the job of CO last night because it was just myself and Asid. I was slow and methodical - but I was trying out the CO position...what to say, how to use the map, how to use my assets, how to give orders - it was a HUGE buzz and an absolute blast - if a little slow. Turns out I got everyone killed at the end - but we died knowing we had glorious warrior lives!

The game is superb and any gaming session can eat up in excess of 2 hours...which kind of makes sure if I fire this up on an evening during the week, I'll not be playing anything else that evening.


So - to both of you, thank you very much for saving me a shed load of money. I haven't looked on Steam to see what's kicking about...something I used to do daily...such is the draw of these two games. I've played these exclusively for the last 2 months (in the case of Steel Beasts - the last month). I'm actually about to take the plunge for the dongle option for Steel Beasts - it's that good and I'm very much looking forward to these games being what I've been searching for for some time....now for DCS to get their shit together and make the flight sim I've always wanted since Falcon 4 stopped working on my PC
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

undercovergeek

i feel the same way about Elite, yet to make the leap for SB but simply because, well..... Elite

i remember mentioning in JH's thread months ago that it may not be for me, im not much of a dogfighter, but i spent 25 minutes docked at Aulin last night creating a spreadsheet of the first 5 planets i can reach and their prices, and just parked there listening to the station was awesome - an anaconda came over the top of me and docked at the next bay, someone impacted on the station wall, theres all the announcements - its just a real working world

its awesome

JudgeDredd

Quote from: undercovergeek on August 20, 2014, 02:42:55 AM
i feel the same way about Elite, yet to make the leap for SB but simply because, well..... Elite

i remember mentioning in JH's thread months ago that it may not be for me, im not much of a dogfighter, but i spent 25 minutes docked at Aulin last night creating a spreadsheet of the first 5 planets i can reach and their prices, and just parked there listening to the station was awesome - an anaconda came over the top of me and docked at the next bay, someone impacted on the station wall, theres all the announcements - its just a real working world

its awesome
Yep...sitting in the station can actually be fun.

How do you know what commodities get what prices when in a station? You can obviously see what you buy for, but how do you know what you can sell for?
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

undercovergeek

its the other way round on the commodity list, the sell price is how much they will give you when selling, the buy price is how much youll pay to buy it - for example I Bootis has fish at 'sell 360' and 'buy 389' which means theyll buy off you at 360 and you will pay 389 for fish

in a good way stations only sell a few items but buy a lot - depending on what kind of world it is, basically I Bootis is a giant floating aquarium and has fish up to the eyeballs - everyone else so far pays 650 for fish so its a good earner

Azerban doesnt buy or sell minerals/metals whereas Beagle II does - what im looking for is an extractor world that has minerals and metals in abundance because the prices on those are huge

Jarhead0331

#4
Trust me JD. The pleasure has been all mine. I love posting about my gaming experiences because it makes me very happy to share the excitement with you guys. It's even more satisfying when you guys take the chance and begin to share in the excitement. I'm thrilled that you have taken to Elite and do not regret the purchase. Elite is somewhat of an investment and your testament proves this. You pay a little more in the beginning, but get so much out of it over time.

'm also thrilled I have someone else around here who completely understands both the joy of victory and the great frustration of defeat that only this game can bring. It truly is one of kind.

Spread the word!

So...now how about that trackIR4? :)
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18