grogheads Has a Twin

Started by DicedT, September 04, 2014, 08:01:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

DicedT

When I first clicked on this site, I really thought for a moment that I looking at Grogheads.  http://thegamebox.gamesontables.com/index.php

Michael

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


bayonetbrant

Quote from: DicedT on September 04, 2014, 08:01:46 AM
When I first clicked on this site, I really thought for a moment that I looking at Grogheads.  http://thegamebox.gamesontables.com/index.php

Michael

yep - that was a schism in the BGG community and they're using the same forum software we use (and Languish.org, and others).

I reached out to some of those guys from BGG when the split happened, but they weren't interested in coming over here because we don't talk enough board games for them, which was pretty much why I wanted to reach out to them... ::)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

LongBlade

Far more disturbing was a website Brant found a few years ago while I was still running WG.

There was a site that had cloned WG. Identical except for the URL. At Brant's urging I looked up the folks who owned it. It was held by an Anglo name - like Shirley Smith or something. But when I called the phone number listed it turned out to be a woman who (probably pretended) to only speak Chinese.

Brant mumbled something about it time to start arresting people, but to my knowledge we never did anything about it. I never looked at it again, as they didn't seem to have any audience and I had bigger fish to fry.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

bayonetbrant

yeah - that site is now taken over by an actual game, rather than a squatter cloning someone else's work
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

LongBlade

Quote from: bayonetbrant on September 04, 2014, 10:33:04 AM
yeah - that site is now taken over by an actual game, rather than a squatter cloning someone else's work

Good to know.

So, point is (I guess) there will be clones around the net. Just because they look similar (or identical) doesn't mean they'll succeed.

Personally, I run Alexa's toolbar on my browser. It ranks websites for both the country in which it's hosted and the global rank. It's not a perfect tool, but it does help gauge an approximate rank.

Gamebox.com - the site referenced by Diced in the OP - has no US ranking according to Alexa, and its world rank is ~ 6.5 millionth. Compare that to Grogheads, which as of this moment ranks just about 200,000th in the globe.

Were I them, it would have been wise to take Brant's offer to host here. Considering they've only been open for two months, they're not doing too badly. But the internet rewards synergies.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

mirth

Youse want me and da boys to pay dem bums a little visit?
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

It's pretty much child's play to gank code from any site you like, throw it through something like Dreamweaver, and voila, instant stolen page.

I remember that WG clone, actually.

GDS_Starfury

<-----  stifled snarky comment.   :-X
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


DicedT

It was actually their sub-forum called "Fuck It All" that reminded me of the spirit of Grogheads.

They would have been a good fit.

Michael

Gusington

^That post drips with pun-ade.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bison

Quote from: Gusington on September 04, 2014, 07:41:08 PM
^That post drips with pun-ade.

Is that a side effect of contracting grogorrhea?