Uncommon Valor question

Started by Rayfer, December 02, 2014, 11:25:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Rayfer

The Matrix forum for this game has had no recent activity so I'll ask this here.  Just picked this up for $9.99 in their holiday sale. The 10 page tutorial guide is not very helpful so I'm going through the manual (on page 28 of 70) and figuring it out that way.  Appears I can choose turn lengths between 1 to 7 days.  What is a good choice to begin with and why?  Thanks.

bobarossa

Being a micromanagement freak, I don't think I've ever used anything but 1 day turns.  No matter how many times I told myself multi-day turns would get me through slow spells faster. 

bbmike

Please let me know if/how you can run it in fullscreen mode without any lag.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

jomni

Quote from: Rayfer on December 02, 2014, 11:25:19 AM
The Matrix forum for this game has had no recent activity so I'll ask this here.  Just picked this up for $9.99 in their holiday sale. The 10 page tutorial guide is not very helpful so I'm going through the manual (on page 28 of 70) and figuring it out that way.  Appears I can choose turn lengths between 1 to 7 days.  What is a good choice to begin with and why?  Thanks.

2 days?  It is 2x quicker than 1-day turns and you have that feel of committing to your orders and more long term planning but not too much as 7 days.

Rayfer


smittyohio

Quote from: bbmike on December 02, 2014, 03:22:44 PM
Please let me know if/how you can run it in fullscreen mode without any lag.

I've tried every trick I know, with no luck.   Hopefully someone has a solution.

Toonces

It doesn't run any faster with multi-day turns.  You just don't give orders as often.

I've never played anything but one day turns.  Things are just too fluid to be able to react with turns any longer than that.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

jomni

#7
Quote from: Toonces on December 02, 2014, 09:56:31 PM
It doesn't run any faster with multi-day turns.  You just don't give orders as often.

I've never played anything but one day turns.  Things are just too fluid to be able to react with turns any longer than that.

Whoops! I was talking about my PBEM experience. It does make it faster. 

For single player, the time savings you get is not so drastic. Unless you spend a lot of time looking at the screen before ending the turn. Othewise, You just click next turn without giving orders.

Working with non-daily turns does give me more tense situations because of the fact that i can't change orders on the fly. And I like it.

BigBlueFleet

It's been ages since I played but map is small and fatigue builds fast with pilots for that reason I'd state 1 day is the best option.

Fast transport and bombardment works better on 1 day turns as well because of occasional needed micromanagement .