Hps sims new game - vengence

Started by Grim.Reaper, February 10, 2015, 07:21:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Toonces

Ok, I just played a quick battle- Falkirk as the English.  This was probably a poor choice as the Scots are totally outclassed in this battle.

Overall I enjoyed the game, but I don't know if everyone is going to find this game $30 awesome.  The battle played pretty quick- about 15 minutes or so.  It seems very straightforward and I'm not sure how much depth the tactical layer has.  I need to experiment some more with a better battle. 

Some things I like:
- Graphics are simple but clean.  There is an option to use counters or miniatures. 
- The UI is very straightforward.
- Nice choice of battles.
- The editor looks pretty cool.  You can build your own maps, counters, OOB, etc.

On first glance it appears fairly beer and pretzels medieval warfare.  I'll try to get in a bigger, more complex battle soon and post some more thoughts once I've explored the tactical options more thoroughly. 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


jomni

I'd buy this just to make another japanese samurai mod. Looks like the perfect platform but I've not made any progress in my Pike and Shot mod. So I better not get distracted.

Toonces

@ Gus- there is a weather setting in the scenario set up, so yes, you can set the weather but I don't know what the effect is.  I'm guessing it applies a movement modifier.  I haven't read the rulebook yet.  There is nothing graphically to indicate differences in the weather.

@ JH- the sound is very basic.  It's there, but it's very plain and basic. 

@ Jomni- the game very much seems like a game creation kit as much as an actual game.  I don't see any reason why you couldn't make a Japanese mod.

I just finished a couple of additional battles: Arsuf (Richard I vs. Saladin) and The Battle on the Ice (Nevsky vs. The Teutonic Order).  I finished Arsuf as the Crusaders in 5 turns...very simple and anti-climactic.  The Nevsky battle was more involved, with more units and three wings.  It took 21 (of 30) turns and I eeked out a morale victory, but just barely.

My overall impression is that this is definitely a beer and pretzels treatment of medieval warfare.  Battles play very quickly, something like 10 to 30 minutes tops to complete a battle.  Unless I'm missing something there is not much tactical depth to the game.  It is simple I-Go/U-Go.  You can move, attack, and fire.  There appears to be opportunity fire and you can set preferences as to how your characters react, for example fallback, attack if favorable, and so on.  There are a few different AI settings (I've been using balanced) including aggressive, defensive, and so on.  The game gives you modifiers for flank and rear attacks. 

It is hard for me to find a good frame of reference or similar game to compare it to.  In boardgame terms it is alot like Chainmail, but without any of the special stuff on the cards.  I kind of wish I had played Field of Glory so I'd having something to compare it to.  It is nowhere near as complex as something like XIII Century or Real Warfare.  I like the boardgamey feel of the game, but maybe I'm missing something...it feels awfully shallow.

This is definitely a "try the demo first" game because I don't think this is going to appeal to everyone at the $30 price point.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

panzerde

Thanks for checking it out, Toonces. Based on your experience I think I'll wait awhile on this one.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Gusington

Thanks Toonces...sounds interesting enough to consider as a toolkit like you said. For 15.00 or 20.00 I would grab it.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

southern_cross_116

#37
Apart from the editor that someone alluded to -and I have not messed around with - the graphics files in the game look like they are all bmp files stored in the symbol sets folder -meaning that you should be able to mod them at will (probably assuming that you 'colour within the lines' -otherwise I imagine you probably would have a bunch of fail on your hands.

I won't be doing it - but you know as the saying goes where there is a bmp (or fill in a graphic file name of choice) present-then you can pretty much bet you can mod it at will (but probably want to keep to the same x,y axes as was in the original -or in other words, probably don't try to reshape a hex.

Anyways ... have at it.   

I have not played it yet (don't know when I will get a chance) -however it sort of reminds me of Berg's Men of Iron series from GMT -but that is a pretty superficial comparison considering I have not actually played it -just going by the look.

Yes, lots of brown ... I get that... not a fan of excessive browns in games myself...

-Considering that I have no idea at all how you post an image hosted on a Farcebook page -I can't really do it directly, but fwiw I added an image of one of the map resolutions, just so as any prospective modders out there might be able to get an idea about what is involved. I think there are 3 native resolutions -and everything on the map I think is all located on this one type of file (disclaimer: I did not look at all of the files).  Not a spruik for the SDC FB page but it is on there I guess search Scenario Design Center Facebook on the Googles or something.
RW/LW
Bravehearts Hockey Club

Graphics Coordinator, Artist, etc... for JTS
Owner/Webmaster:
Scenario Design Center (hist-sdc.com)

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on February 11, 2015, 10:49:59 PM
I'd buy this just to make another japanese samurai mod. Looks like the perfect platform but I've not made any progress in my Pike and Shot mod. So I better not get distracted.

I'd like to see your P&S mod completed eventually.  Looks like it fits the system pretty well.

No pressure!

panzerde

Quote from: southern_cross_116 on February 12, 2015, 08:43:11 AM

I have not played it yet (don't know when I will get a chance) -however it sort of reminds me of Berg's Men of Iron series from GMT -but that is a pretty superficial comparison considering I have not actually played it -just going by the look.


I'd give it a whirl if it played like the Men of Iron series. Those are fast playing games but have some nice depth.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Toonces

I was actually thinking of breaking out Men of Iron and seeing how this game stacks up to it.

With the modding tools available it seems like you could also do stuff like create fantasy armies; LotR and stuff like that.

I guess I should read the Vengeance rule book before I comment much more, just so I have more background information.  Certainly the game can be played without much rulebook reading (or in my case, none).
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Rayfer

A favorable mini-review from Rock/Paper/Shotgun's 'Flare Path' article. It's about halfway down in the article, with screenshots.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/02/13/the-flare-path-dave-does-dovetail/#more-270161