Steve Jackson Games working on Ogre

Started by besilarius, July 22, 2017, 08:14:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Can someone then explain what made the board game such a classic? I never played it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Barthheart

It was a simple to learn, fast playing, small foot print game that you could get almost anyone to play.
It was about small conventional armies trying to take down large automated killing machines.
It was very easy to play solo.
It cost $2.95.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Barthheart on October 06, 2017, 07:15:41 AM
It was a simple to learn, fast playing, small foot print game that you could get almost anyone to play.
It was about small conventional armies trying to take down large automated killing machines.
It was very easy to play solo.

Still is, as far as I can tell, on all counts.

Quote from: Barthheart on October 06, 2017, 07:15:41 AM
It cost $2.95.

Not so much this, though.

Cyrano

At bottom it's a meditation on the mighty one versus the weaker many.  Everything else was tacked on when the original blew up fueled by the love some of us had for "Bolo", "Hammer's Slammers", &c.
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Bardolph

The original "one OGRE vs a bunch of tanks and infantry" scenario was a very tight design. It was by far the scenario we played most, even after GEV and the larger maps came out.
It plays quickly, we used to play it at lunch at school, and there are a lot of different options to try to win the scenario. And, as mentioned, it was $2.95  ;)