G-sync + 144hz Monitor = Awesome

Started by bboyer66, February 17, 2015, 01:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

bboyer66

 Seems forever that I have had my Dell 24" 60hz monitor. Well I upgraded to a AOC 24" monitor with G-sync 144hz and was just blown away. I'm using a Nvidia 770 card and the difference is just amazing. Its just so damn smooth.  Do yourself a favor, before you get a new graphics card, look into upgrading your monitor first.


Nefaro

#1
I've been wanting a Gsync monitor but figured I'd wait until some generational improvements were made. 

Last time I checked, there was just one or two models available that were being modified post-manufacture so I expected them to eventually move to direct spec versions and work out any possible issues that may crop up in the early ones.

Another concern is whether they will all be stuck in 16:9 screen ratio hell.  I greatly prefer 16:10 on desktop monitors for that critical extra bit of vertical area.  I'm loathe to give up my current 16:10 monitor because it's much better for gaming IMO.

On the other hand, being able to eliminate screen tearing without having to enable Vsync, and the graphic card performance loss that entails, is something to look forward to.

endfire79

I just ordered a HP 27xi and a gtx 750 card, you make me feel bad lol
"I will return before you can say 'antidisestablishmentarianism'."

"A man may fight for many things. His country, his principles, his friends. The glistening tear on the cheek of a golden child. But personally, I'd mud-wrestle my own mother for a ton of cash, an amusing clock and a sack of French porn."

jomni

That video is so nauseating with stupid bunny hoppers.

sandman2575

Nice purchase, bboyer -- congrats.

I've been eyeing G-sync options but recently pulled the trigger on a 27" Dell 1440p IPS monitor. (haven't even had a chance to get it up and running yet).  Have been using an Asus 24" 144hz 1080p monitor for a few years. It's been terrific, but I felt the need for something new, and felt ready to sacrifice the silky 144Hz refresh for the visual benefit of an IPS screen.  We'll see if the trade off was worth it. 

In the back of my mind though has been the question of whether I should've held out for this doozy from Acer -- not out yet, but soon -- giving you everything you could ask for in a monitor:  G-Sync, 144Hz, 1440p, IPS panel.  Sounds almost too good to be true...
http://www.overclock.net/t/1536499/official-acer-xb270hu-27-1440p-144hz-g-sync-ips-ulmb-monitor-thread

fabius

I'm presuming there isn't much need for 144Hz for most strategy games? Would it improve Total War type games?

As most of my games are more strategy and grand strategy, and not many support multi monitor, I think I will go for as large as I can get before the years is out.


sandman2575

Probably no benefit for TBS games like War in the West, etc.  Although I do think you feel an improvement with Total War or Wargame and other RTS. Yeah, the high-refresh monitors are clearly marketed to the hard-core first-person shooter crowd who are desperate to get that 0.001-second advantage playing online. But 120/144Hz gives benefits beyond FPS, like I say, with RTS games.  You have to put up with a grainy TN screen -- which honestly hasn't bugged me too much, but I'm interested to see what a IPS panel can deliver.

I'm about to give my new 60Hz monitor (better resolution) monitor a try -- I'm curious to find out how much I'll feel the difference after having used 144Hz for so long...

fabius

Quote from: sandman2575 on February 18, 2015, 09:30:11 AM
Probably no benefit for TBS games like War in the West, etc.  Although I do think you feel an improvement with Total War or Wargame and other RTS. Yeah, the high-refresh monitors are clearly marketed to the hard-core first-person shooter crowd who are desperate to get that 0.001-second advantage playing online. But 120/144Hz gives benefits beyond FPS, like I say, with RTS games.  You have to put up with a grainy TN screen -- which honestly hasn't bugged me too much, but I'm interested to see what a IPS panel can deliver.

I'm about to give my new 60Hz monitor (better resolution) monitor a try -- I'm curious to find out how much I'll feel the difference after having used 144Hz for so long...

Thanks Sandman. I play some shooters like Red Orchestra and Heroes and Generals. And there's a 'Nam one on the way.

Please let us know how the change in Hz feels. I didn't think about Hz before this thread, but will on the next monitor upgrade !!

Nefaro

#8
I'd be more than happy with a steady 60fps, currently tweaking game settings to keep 3D stuff over 40fps at all times otherwise you'll notice the dips below that.

The big benefit to g-sync monitors is being able to avoid the performance loss for having Vsync enabled IMO.  Which, in turn, should make those demanding frame transitions cause less of a hit on your fps - keeping your framerate more stable.  :coolsmiley:  I'm sure we've all experienced games where the fps is usually good but having an occasional split second hitch or hang that can get frustrating.

bboyer66

 Honestly, you can even tell a big difference when you are only getting around 40-50 fps (what I get in ARMA III). What used to be slightly blurred and slightly stuttery, is now as smooth as silk. The biggest difference I have seen is in Iracing. The new monitor almost turned it into another game. (For the better). 
Im not sure how much of this is G-sync or the 144hz over 60hz.  Its most likely a combo of the two.