Caribbean! - Mount and Blade does Pirates

Started by ArizonaTank, February 21, 2015, 07:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

ArizonaTank

This was released yesterday.  Played around with it a bit.  Interesting use of the engine.  So far so good...worth a look if you are a Mount and Blade nut like I am.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/293010/
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Boggit

Quote from: ArizonaTank on February 21, 2015, 07:14:53 PM
This was released yesterday.  Played around with it a bit.  Interesting use of the engine.  So far so good...worth a look if you are a Mount and Blade nut like I am.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/293010/
Developed by Snowbird (Eador Genesis and Masters of the Broken World). A bit of a different direction for them.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Jarhead0331

Interesting. I had my finger on the trigger, but the impressions in the forums seem to be that the game is in a very poor state and that it was nerfed by the developers at some point before the present build was released.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


jomni

#3
I have a -10% voucher to give out.  Who wants?

It is shaping up to be better.  I played two sessions already.  As a captain and as a merchant.  It was a tough life and I quit after I get captured and lost everything. :)  Ship battles now have boarding. The UI is now intuitive. Quite fun to see one jumping around between ships.  There is also some sort of a single background story that you can follow but I haven't gone far. I'll post some videos soon.

But I still think that the free Japanese mod Gekokujo has more polish than this paid title.  I also have Vikings but it didn't really work for me.
As mentioned before, wonder if anyone is doing a cowboy mod.  That would great.

Jarhead0331

I picked it up and so far I'm liking what I see. Seems fairly polished for a game that is still in development. Its certainly a great idea and I look forward to exploring the Caribbean.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18



Swatter

Looks very promising. Hopefully they flesh out everything and fix the bugs. Ill check back in a month or so.

Cyrano

Oh, come now...

Blackpowder weapons, ships, cutlasses...is life worth so many questions?

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

DennisS

I have played many of these Warband games, including the Perino mod.

I like this one the best. The questing addition is welcome, and give more depth to the game. The combat is better than Warband..the addition of ship to ship combat, and all the possible ship upgrades just adds to the game.

Purchasing industry, and the raw materials to run them allows you to build and maintain larger fleets. Money doesn't appear to be an issue with this game. Recently, I gathered up my output, and sold it, and when the bill came in for the crew and ship costs, it was only about 5% of my revenue.

Spoiler alert...
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Start with a silver mine and a jewelry factory. This will gain you stupid money. I suspect it will be nerfed at some point.

FarAway Sooner

I hate to sound like a broken record, but if Snowbird's doing it, don't buy on the promise of the game once it's polished up and bug free.  With Eador, their quality control was atrocious and patches were as likely to break the game as to fix it.  This was equally true for the 3 months before release and the 15 months after release.  I played the daylights out of Eador but found it to be an amazing game system badly marred by poor software development practices.

I hope they've made the internal changes necessary to produce reliable software going forward.  They wouldn't be the first shop to make some mistakes with their first release, learn their lessons, and get things right. 

But... wait for them to demonstrate that they can release a stable, reliable game before you buy.  "Fool me once..."

Just my $0.02.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I've also got a 10% off voucher for the Steam version if anyone wants it.