I was browsing Shogun 2 mods and I see this...

Started by jomni, March 08, 2015, 04:02:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Steelgrave

I know it's because I'm old, but....I don't get the attraction to Japanese anime at all.

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Silent Disapproval Robot

I lived there for 9 years and I can't stand the stuff. 

Steelgrave


W8taminute

I played this mod a little today and I'm not sure what to think.  I've only spent about an hour with it but the one thing I noticed is that the anime units seem a bit overpowered. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

jomni

Quote from: W8taminute on March 08, 2015, 08:04:54 PM
I played this mod a little today and I'm not sure what to think.  I've only spent about an hour with it but the one thing I noticed is that the anime units seem a bit overpowered.

Sounds accurate to me.  They beat every enemy in every episode.  :2funny:

Nefaro

Quote from: Steelgrave on March 08, 2015, 05:24:05 PM
I know it's because I'm old, but....I don't get the attraction to Japanese anime at all.

Me neither.  Much of it is kinda creepy with a statutory rapist vibe.  I do my best to avoid that creepy.

jomni


Sir Slash

Young Japanese schoolgirls armed with German tanks and Danish Pastries. Seems very plausible to me with Obama's defense cuts. Should so thoroughly confuse the bad guys that they don't know whether to be afraid or feel sorry for us. :-X
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Martok

Quote from: Steelgrave on March 08, 2015, 05:24:05 PM
I know it's because I'm old, but....I don't get the attraction to Japanese anime at all.
Rest assured, age has nothing to do with it.  I've been puzzled by the fascination with Japanese anime ever since I was first introduced to it back in my early twenties (and that was at least fifteen years ago).  ??? 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

JasonPratt

Anime has a lot of variety in topic and tone, and even the art styles can be more or less realistic. Some anime I wouldn't touch with a ten meter tentacle. Others I love unreservedly.

I can't imagine any Grog would have trouble getting into Legend of the Galactic Heroes, or if not it wouldn't be because it's Japanese animation (but rather because the pacing in the first story arc is soggy).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

jomni

Mobile Suit Gundam is another example.  Lots of parallels to WW2.

JasonPratt

Depends on which MSG one picks, though. G Gundam and Superior Defender are fine examples of their respective genres, but they sure aren't the usual MSG. On the other hand, Wing and SEED look like the worst kind of bishie tripe, but have a lot of depth.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!