The Guns Of Gettysburg

Started by Nefaro, April 01, 2015, 04:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nefaro

Anyone tried The Guns Of Gettysburg yet?





Looks damn good.

I'm sure the rules may take some getting used to, but is it fun?

Cyrano

I have this and both of Bowen's Napoleonic games and very, very, very much wanted to adore them.

Aesthetically they are truly special.  I've set each up and just maneuvered the lovely red and blue bits around the maps. 

Bowen is easily the densest -- and as a consequence most opaque -- rule writer since Phil Barker first took pen to paper.  I sometimes wonder if he isn't trying to trick the reader into missing an important rule.

There's a good game inside each of them and I've managed to teach them to people and get full games in in an afternoon which is a huge plus.  In the end, though, I found the exercise, erm, bloodless...something I initially put up to the fact that the combat is dice less, but I eventually decided was a result of the overall abstraction of everything including, most importantly, the terrain.  The movement by sectors -- triangles -- is innovative and worth studying, but, in the end, they put me at too great a remove from the spaces over which the battle was fought.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Nefaro

Thanks. 

I've been waffling about it.  Especially since I've picked up a few others recently.  Will just keep it on the wishlist for the moment and think about it later.