SHOCKING interview with Nvidia engineer about the 970 fiasco

Started by Asid, January 30, 2015, 10:56:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Nefaro on January 30, 2015, 11:03:34 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 30, 2015, 07:10:46 PM
What is the story with this card?


Sounds like they may have intentionally slowed down the card's peak performance because it was too close to their higher priced model.  It's not the first time they've done so, either.   

I've read past reports of them using their higher priced chipsets but locking them down to slower speeds and charging less.  That would imply that they're price gouging on those models since they're charging radically different prices for the same hardware.  I suppose it could be called price gouging or fixing. 

This latest development is just another incident in a string AFAIK.  I recall some lawsuits being filed against Nvidia (and maybe ATI) for this kind of stuff in the past.
I thought it the norm that these companies use the same chip in several of their cards but they are pegged in performance. That's why people buy the lower end but run it higher...though I've only heard that with the chips...not pegging memory back.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Zulu1966

Quote from: Yskonyn on January 31, 2015, 05:43:05 AM
Ahh right, Zulu! You got me sacred there for a minute! :D

I dont think its limited to them. Intel has been known to sell the same chips with a locked lower speed too.

Their accepted defense had always been that while testing chips they found that stable frequencies varied from batch to batch. And so they made a lower speed model for less cash and a higher speed model of the same hardware for more cash.

As long as you are being told you are buying a slower chip its ok.

But if Nvidia markets the 970 as a 4GB card but only 3.5 can be used that's not correct. The speed 'squeeze' of the GPU however is nothing new.


.

Yes - got to get some sleep.

Jeez - never knew - that is seriously FUBAR. 
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 31, 2015, 05:50:17 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 30, 2015, 11:03:34 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 30, 2015, 07:10:46 PM
What is the story with this card?


Sounds like they may have intentionally slowed down the card's peak performance because it was too close to their higher priced model.  It's not the first time they've done so, either.   

I've read past reports of them using their higher priced chipsets but locking them down to slower speeds and charging less.  That would imply that they're price gouging on those models since they're charging radically different prices for the same hardware.  I suppose it could be called price gouging or fixing. 

This latest development is just another incident in a string AFAIK.  I recall some lawsuits being filed against Nvidia (and maybe ATI) for this kind of stuff in the past.
I thought it the norm that these companies use the same chip in several of their cards but they are pegged in performance. That's why people buy the lower end but run it higher...though I've only heard that with the chips...not pegging memory back.

Yes. 

Still questionable, but now standard practice for them.  They got busted for price fixing with ATI before and I think this kind of stuff fits in the same category.  Hell.. one of the emails used as evidence in the price fixing case even featured an exec boasting about how they had increased the price point on their upper end models by 400% in just a few years.

They're given a lot of leeway, having such a large market share.  It was the same for Intel although they've received more scrutiny lately than in the past.


magnus

 While I was watching the train wreck this kept going through my mind.

" Badges, we don't need no stinking badges".

Boggit

I remember a while back - couple of years ago, nVidia was in deep trouble because a range of video cards literally were melting - apparently the solder on them couldn't take normal GPU temperatures... more recently it seems some of their drivers have been having much the same effect giving fan control problems. I've had nVidia cards in the past and they worked for me without problems, but it seems that some models have some serious heat issues.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1004378/why-nvidia-chips-defective
http://community.futuremark.com/forum/showthread.php?175532-DO-Not-install-Nvidia-320-18-killing-gpu-s
http://www.zdnet.com/article/warning-nvidia-196-75-drivers-can-kill-your-graphics-card/
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Nefaro

Nvidia's not as solid as they were many years ago. 

At this point, if I'm ready for an upgrade I'll check some reviews and scuttlebutt on the current models from both companies in my price range.  I don't have brand loyalty anymore because they both screw stuff up these days.

GDS_Starfury

ATI cards have been doing me good for years at the price point I like.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Arctic Blast

Eh, despite these 'shocking revelations', the 970 is still doing extremely well in every test of cards I've seen online. So it seems pretty 'whatever' to me.

GDS_Starfury

give Mirth and I $200 and you'll see what an unclocked Gus can do.  ^-^
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Jarhead0331

Quote from: Arctic Blast on February 07, 2015, 10:45:03 PM
Eh, despite these 'shocking revelations', the 970 is still doing extremely well in every test of cards I've seen online. So it seems pretty 'whatever' to me.

Not only that, but they seem to be reviewed extremely positively. I almost picked one up today to replace my 760, but I resisted.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Asid

The 970 is still a great card. I think for many the real issue is one of a cover up by Nvidia.

Regards
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Jarhead0331

I picked one of these up yesterday on impulse. The thing is smoking. I'm running ARMA III on ultra detail and it looks amazing.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Asid

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 13, 2015, 08:56:20 AM
I picked one of these up yesterday on impulse. The thing is smoking. I'm running ARMA III on ultra detail and it looks amazing.

Lets see some more screen shots :)
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Asid on April 13, 2015, 04:41:55 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 13, 2015, 08:56:20 AM
I picked one of these up yesterday on impulse. The thing is smoking. I'm running ARMA III on ultra detail and it looks amazing.

Lets see some more screen shots :)

You got it! I'll try to take some tonight.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


WYBaugh

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 13, 2015, 08:56:20 AM
I picked one of these up yesterday on impulse. The thing is smoking. I'm running ARMA III on ultra detail and it looks amazing.

I picked up 2 970's running in sli and they are sweet.  Definitely the best bang for the buck right now.