Running with Rifles - Anybody bought it, any thoughts on it?

Started by fran, April 20, 2015, 12:12:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

fran

Anybody playing running with rifles now that it is released, I played the demo and enjoyed it, it looks like it could be fun playing it co-op?

Huw the Poo

Well, I bought it in July 2012 and as such it wasn't very feature-complete.  However it already had the makings of a very fun game.  Vaguely reminiscent of a Cannon Fodder in which each player controls a single soldier - and an open map.  It has lots of humorous little touches and is a lot of fun as well as being extremely accessible, to the point where I honestly didn't care how often I got killed, I still enjoyed it.

I ended up shelving it before long to wait for what turned out to be a painfully slow development.  To my shame I haven't tried it since it went gold but it's on my radar, certainly.  At the current asking price I'd say it's worth it from what I've seen of it, especially now that things like different weapons and even vehicles have been implemented.  It should be a ridiculously fun little game with a good group of people.

Nefaro

I bought it years ago on Desura, too.

I did some multi-player around the beginning of the year.  There is a lot more features in it than they originally planned back when I purchased the alpha access. 

The game isn't really deep or anything but it's some straightforward wee bit of ye olde ultraviolence.  Like a 3D isometric view Battlefield shooter. 

You rank up with XP, which can unlock your ability to call in strikes and command a squad of AI soldiers.  There are many different weapons and an inventory & requisition point system, so you can equip different weapons, kits, body armor, etc.  Taking cover, or at least dropping to a knee or prone, is essential or you will die quickly.  Even then, you will just respawn (on default server modes) with a delay and jog back to the action. 

There are also vehicles.  Jeeps, trucks, APCs.  Mortars.  Good variety of toys and some ragdoll physics to make using explosives all the more enjoyable.

There are three different factions with their own sets of weapons.  Equivalents for modern US, Russian, and German.  I guess the Brits don't get theirs.  :-\  Maybe in the future..?

Personally, I'd rather jump into one of the ever-running Co-Op multiplayer games of Running With Rifles than the first-person shooters out there right now.  Or even a team vs team one.  I believe a normal player server limit is around 64 although the devs mentioned much more being a possibility.. however there are AI squads mixed in too so it turns into some big ass firefights. 

While I normally prefer more thought provoking strategy games, this satisfies some quick & dirty trigger pulling multiplayer action.  It's also not very costly.  O0

Huw the Poo

Dammit Nefaro, you're really making me want to play it now!  Thanks for the writeup. O0

TacticalWargames

Great fun. A brilliant little game to play as a breather from the more grog like wargames.

Bardolph

Quote from: TacticalWargames on April 21, 2015, 08:37:26 AM
Great fun. A brilliant little game to play as a breather from the more grog like wargames.

Pretty much this. I played quite a bit of it when I got it. Then I more or less forgot about it until recently when my nephew started playing it. I fired it up again and had a couple fun evenings with it. Fun game, with occasional LOL moments.