Main Menu

New wargaming blog !

Started by Wiggum, July 19, 2015, 08:08:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

spelk

Yeah since Google Reader exploded, I've been using Newsblur a commercial web-based RSS news reader, and its been quite handy to keep an eye on wargaming news sites amongst others. It's mainly down to RSS syndication that I can keep the /r/computerwargames sub-reddit updated with news. If I had to manually visit news web-sites everyday I wouldn't have any time left. You can also add Youtube feeds to it.

I think there are free news reader services, like Feedly. But I found Newsblur to be useful enough to be worthy of the annual cost.

Plus it lets me archive stuff into a personal archive, like this

http://spelk.newsblur.com/

I'd really like Grogheads the Fabled Front page(tm) to have an RSS feed, but I guess it might draw people away from the advertising.. dunno.

I can't go a day without scouring my RSS feeds :)

bayonetbrant

Uh, I think we do have a feed for the front page don't we?  I thought I turned it on a while ago
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Huw the Poo


bbmike

bbmike remains silent...  :P
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

jomni

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 20, 2015, 12:02:22 PM
RSS = Really Simple Syndication

it's a way to have content pushed to you instead of going to find it.  You subscribe to a bunch of RSS feeds and it makes your own personal "newswire"

Is that even relevant in this day and age?

Huw the Poo

Quote from: jomni on July 20, 2015, 05:12:42 PM
Is that even relevant in this day and age?

Well, people use it.  So, yes.

spelk

I follow nearly 200 sites (194 at the moment) using Newsblur. All articles in the same interface with options for sharing, saving easily. Since my interests are far and wide, I can capture it all in one place. Wargaming, boardgaming, Science, Space/Astronomy, Console gaming, history, Indie titles, Roguelikes, Amusing (Bored Panda, Laughing Octopus, io9, xkcd.com etc.) Superheroes etc..

@Brant, I thought the last time I tried the Grogheads.com RSS feed, it only tracked the Grogcast episodes, not the main page articles. I'll try again and see.

LongBlade

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 19, 2015, 07:27:00 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on July 19, 2015, 02:55:04 PM

Grogheads is a successful and significant website in the wargaming community, but is by no means coming close to paying for a second Ferrari for each of the owners.

What, you didn't get yours yet? Sucka'!

I knew I should have held out for more when they offered me a stupid Buick.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

mirth

Quote from: LongBlade on July 20, 2015, 08:43:13 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 19, 2015, 07:27:00 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on July 19, 2015, 02:55:04 PM

Grogheads is a successful and significant website in the wargaming community, but is by no means coming close to paying for a second Ferrari for each of the owners.

What, you didn't get yours yet? Sucka'!

I knew I should have held out for more when they offered me a stupid Buick.

Begun, the Grog Wars have.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Quote from: mirth on July 20, 2015, 08:58:43 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on July 20, 2015, 08:43:13 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 19, 2015, 07:27:00 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on July 19, 2015, 02:55:04 PM

Grogheads is a successful and significant website in the wargaming community, but is by no means coming close to paying for a second Ferrari for each of the owners.

What, you didn't get yours yet? Sucka'!

I knew I should have held out for more when they offered me a stupid Buick.

Begun, the Grog Wars have.

Good...good.  Let the hate flow through you.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

bayonetbrant

Quote from: spelk on July 20, 2015, 07:05:31 PM@Brant, I thought the last time I tried the Grogheads.com RSS feed, it only tracked the Grogcast episodes, not the main page articles. I'll try again and see.

apparently I took it out at some point.  it's back - on the right sidebar by the forum link
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

spelk

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 20, 2015, 10:34:01 PM
apparently I took it out at some point.  it's back - on the right sidebar by the forum link

Yay!

http://grogheads.com/?feed=rss2