Expansions dropping in the Mail

Started by PanzersEast, August 08, 2015, 08:03:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PanzersEast

I have several shipping notices on pre-orders of Expansions coming....

- Mage Knight: Shades of Tezla Expansion
- Legendary: Marvel Deck Building Game - Secret Wars Expansion Vol. 1
- Shadows of Malice - Seekers of a Hidden Light

I have not received my copy of Eldritch Horror: Strange Remnants but it is shipping and it looks like my pre-order of Hostage Negotiator + Expansions is dropping as well.   I did not count on getting all these pre-orders at once  :))

PE

Nefaro

I didn't realize Shadows Of Malice has an expansion too.  So many coming out right now.  While I thought SoM was a decent solitaire game, I was still iffy on how much I'd end up playing it.  Wonder if the expansion adds that extra something to it I'm looking for.

There's some tussle about some of the Mage Knight expansion's components being a different size than the rest.  Specifically the monster tokens, which is a real shame because those are hidden information on the map until you encounter them, so that would tip you off as to what they might be.  :-\   There are also some complaints about the cards being slightly different size (or thinner?) than the base set, so that could also be a problem.

I'll probably put off Marvel Legendary Secret Wars for awhile, since Legendary Predator is coming out this month.  I've not really checked out the details on Secret Wars yet - I just assumed it was more characters & villains.  Although it looks to have Dr Strange as a playable so I'll get it eventually.

PanzersEast

Quote from: Nefaro on August 08, 2015, 10:55:55 AM
I didn't realize Shadows Of Malice has an expansion too.  So many coming out right now.  While I thought SoM was a decent solitaire game, I was still iffy on how much I'd end up playing it.  Wonder if the expansion adds that extra something to it I'm looking for.

There's some tussle about some of the Mage Knight expansion's components being a different size than the rest.  Specifically the monster tokens, which is a real shame because those are hidden information on the map until you encounter them, so that would tip you off as to what they might be.  :-\   There are also some complaints about the cards being slightly different size (or thinner?) than the base set, so that could also be a problem.

I'll probably put off Marvel Legendary Secret Wars for awhile, since Legendary Predator is coming out this month.  I've not really checked out the details on Secret Wars yet - I just assumed it was more characters & villains.  Although it looks to have Dr Strange as a playable so I'll get it eventually.

I never placed the tokens with the game on the map, just a small black generic token that shows something is active in that grid and then once there drew from a cup at random.  I saw a video on the cards the there appears to be no issue with the cards, however the tokens and then manual being smushed is another story.... but can be easily remedied by me the way I play.

Secret wars is waiting from me to bust open and there is a lot of stuff in that box.

I am really wanting to get the Shadows of Malice expansion on the table because I love that game.  Right now I am doing another play through of FC Nimitz.  I also should have the new expansion to Eldritch Horror which has been receiving very good reviews.

PE

Nefaro

Yeah, I'm probably gonna get the Eldritch Horror expansion the same time I get Legendary-Predator.  I had passed on the Mountains of Madness expansion, mainly because I didn't want to mess with the extra board during play.  Fortunately this one doesn't have that.

I'd like to hear about the Shadows Of Malice expansion, if you get it.

PanzersEast

Quote from: Nefaro on August 11, 2015, 05:55:18 PM
Yeah, I'm probably gonna get the Eldritch Horror expansion the same time I get Legendary-Predator.  I had passed on the Mountains of Madness expansion, mainly because I didn't want to mess with the extra board during play.  Fortunately this one doesn't have that.

I'd like to hear about the Shadows Of Malice expansion, if you get it.

I will have the Shadows of Malice on the table by the weekend.  The Mountains of Madness already makes a crowded table overboard, but I feel that it was worth it but not necessary.  I think the small box expansions add a lot more to drive the stories than adding more boards.

PE

PanzersEast

Put Shadows of Malice with Expansion on the table last night and so far it is a great expansion and helps open the game up.

You can now receive quest from Mystics that will give you certain rewards and also open up the Lux from the items you retrieve etc.. from the quest.  This Lux gets placed in a pool (Solux) which you can now have powerful potions made and you can have Lux Runes inscribed on one of your non-edible items which increased its power, however also binds that item to that Avatar.  An Avatar can only cary one Lux Potion and Rune inscribed item at a time.

There are also these Tokens of Bait which allow you to draw out creatures.  This is very handy as you can somewhat scale the creature you encounter and also the luck roll is in your benefit.  However, the bait you use must match the tile you are currently on....

This is not a huge expansion, but one I feel is necessary as it adds a lot of goodness to an already great game (One of my favorites).  I also got some great promo cards with some new Treasures etc... and, there are some very good laminated reference cards that show the turn and combat flowchart, and other reference material.  Overall, great job!

PE

Nefaro

Thanks for the info.

I wish the cards in Shadows Of Malice had better art production.  They look like generic computer-created print graphics from 1990.   :-\

PanzersEast

Shadows of Malice + Expansion

Started a new play through with the Expansion. I played with 3 Avatars on 2 Terrain Maps. I spit 2 Avatars in 1 Band on one map and the other Avatar on the other map by himself. The lone Avatar was sent to complete quest and to check out the City and Mystic.

The Band of 2 were doing the same, as well as hunting the beasts of Aethos. Any fast forward and as I continued to build up the Avatars one Shadow was able to escape from the domains of the Shadow Realm.

Luckily for me it was on the Map with the Band of Avatars and they were able to intercept him and dispatch him before reaching a Light Well. Next as the Avatars continued to gain strength another Shadow managed to escape (again to the map of the Band of 2) and this time was in a position that was going to be difficult for them to intercept.

There were tiles of water separating them from the Shadow and luckily the Shadow moved toward them, however there was difficult terrain to reach the Light Well and I had to get the roll right! And I failed, one tile short and thus the Shadow was able to stroll over to the Well.

All the time there was another Shadow gaining strength and while out Band of two was trying to reach the Shadow, the Lone Avatar was able to obtain a potion of Void Lock (Sealing Gates in the Shadow Realm 2d3). So while he moved toward the Gate on the other map and thus casting the Void Lock, the Band of 2 where failing to reach the Well in time.

However, the strength of the Shadow that reached the Well was 5..... I rolled a 6 and he failed! That was luck #2 as the Void Lock potion turned out to be #1. The Shadow failing to reveal the Well enabled our Band of 2 to intercept and send him to the Void. The Lone Avatar cast the Void Lock buying the group more time.

Out Band of 2 next took on the Guardian and after a close fight was able to reveal a....... Light Well! That was very close! Had the Shadow reveled the Well, I would have probably lost.

Anyway, after that the Band of 2 made their way to the other Map to join up with the Lone Avatar, all the while time was bought with the Void Lock potion.

In the end another Shadow did reach Aethos, however and by a miracle the next well I went after was the Light Well, thus allowing Aethos to be safe from the dreaded Xulthul. A very fun adventure with some tense fights early on (started with no treasures) and a lot of luck along the way!

Overall I love the added mechanics to the game, the quest are a great touch and the bait is as well. I was also lucky to draw the Box of Potions. I would say for me the expansion is a must and if you do not own the game..... what are you waiting for!? (I don't expect to be this lucky again)

Nefaro

Nice AAR, PE.

I now recall one other component situation in Shadows Of Malice that struck me odd.   With all the d2 and d3 rolls, I wish they would've included or sold an add-on with a bunch of custom dice.  Even if it was just d6s with multiple 1s, 2s, and 3s where appropriate. 

We may be able to find such dice second hand but I really wouldn't want to buy a whole container full of d2s, and another of d3s, when I'm only gonna use a few of each for SoM.