CM Fortress Italy Upgrade 4

Started by JudgeDredd, March 28, 2017, 04:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

RyanE

Also, I don't think BFC's DRM is self-made.  I think they license something.  The old one was called eLicense.  I forget the name of the new one.  I remember one of the BFCers mention they pay for the DRM use.

Ubercat

Quote from: RyanE on April 11, 2017, 04:57:28 PM
I don't even consider Matrix DRM.  Its a one time order verification.  There are no online connections, no limited installs, and no virus-activating monitoring apps.

Yeah, and the lack of DRM nightmares is exactly why Matrix/Slitherine is on the verge of going out of business.
.
.
.
.
Oh, wait ...
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

dinsdale

Quote from: RyanE on April 11, 2017, 04:57:28 PM
Graviteam might not be the best example for your argument.  They went to Steam for exactly that reason.  There are still a few intracacies in patching, but its 100 times better now on Steam.  I just wish BFC would smarten up on it.
What Graviteam is doing now doesn't erase what it took to install their games before. Glad they've seen sense though.

I think steam or drm free is the way to go, I don't disagree with you. What I do see though, is the futility in waiting for an extremely conservative company gambling on everything they have stood against the last 10 years. I haven't been to the battlefront forums for a long time, but last I remembered they weren't exactly welcoming of criticism or suggestions about anything at all.

So $20 or $40 per year and a few hours to a few days of installation torment is the buy-in to play CM. Thats it. Given their business philosophy, I don't think thats going to change and given the shittyness of their DRM, which I'm shocked is a paid product BTW, I don't see any alternatives.

Quote
I don't even consider Matrix DRM.  Its a one time order verification.  There are no online connections, no limited installs, and no virus-activating monitoring apps.
Its one time every patch. Which means its many times. I don't consider it onerous, I only brought Matrix up because the one time I bought an add on from them it wouldn't install. Glad you haven't had an issue, that doesn't mean there aren't any.

RyanE

Actually, its not one time every patch.  It shows the license page, but its already filled in and you just hit enter.  And again, its not online.  No server connection needed.  Again, verification of purchase only, not true DRM.  It is probably the minimum of what you can do if you sell on line.  Uness you give the software away.

I am not sure why you are going on about Graviteam.  They are the poster child of what BFC should follow.  A screwed up patching system, customer complaints for a couple years, move to Steam.  Its exactly what BFC should do.

Rayfer

Quote from: RyanE on April 12, 2017, 07:57:53 AM
Actually, its not one time every patch.  It shows the license page, but its already filled in and you just hit enter.  And again, its not online.  No server connection needed.  Again, verification of purchase only, not true DRM.  It is probably the minimum of what you can do if you sell on line.  Uness you give the software away.

I am not sure why you are going on about Graviteam.  They are the poster child of what BFC should follow.  A screwed up patching system, customer complaints for a couple years, move to Steam.  Its exactly what BFC should do.

BFC on Steam for easy updates/upgrades......that would be awesome.  It did the trick for me with Graviteam and would do the same with BFC.  :notworthy: